G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2023, 06:32 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by mummy2
Motor and transmission because the chain is in the back of the motor in-between the transmission . I saw a video on YouTube and the comments were saying that's how much it cost. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2DWShxuPcU
Ugh that picture looks awful! Whatever engineer designed the routing of that timing chain should be shot. I've seen that repair done a few times in our Audi shop on S4's with the V8, but never on an RS4. I forget if the RS4 chains were redesigned or not, but they cannot be all that different. Either way it seems like an awful repair. Not that I needed any more convincing to not get that car. A picture is worth a thousand words, right?
Old 09-29-2023, 08:13 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 229 Posts
Naw buddy. Heard horror stories about Audi V8's. $30,000 timing chain job at the dealer or 8-15 thousand at a side shop.
That's insane. You know what they say, "a fool and his money are soon parted".

I have several friends that have converted over to Tesla's from German makes for this reason. They say that when you own these cars out of warranty, you must have a stomach for the "what ifs". It's always in the back of your mind.

As opposed to a Timing Chain replacement, why not drop your 30K on one of these :-)

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...yline-gt-r-28/

Old 09-30-2023, 10:19 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by socketz67
That's insane. You know what they say, "a fool and his money are soon parted".

I have several friends that have converted over to Tesla's from German makes for this reason. They say that when you own these cars out of warranty, you must have a stomach for the "what ifs". It's always in the back of your mind.

As opposed to a Timing Chain replacement, why not drop your 30K on one of these :-)

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...yline-gt-r-28/

I agree with you on the old German cars. I had an extremely clean and low mileage E46 M3 a long time ago, but I couldn't shake the feeling that the vanos was going to fail or the subframe was going to tear at some point.

I have given old GT-R's some thought multiple times. The problem is that I am not a huge fan of R32's and most of those go in the $40k range. The car you posted only bid to just over $30k. It did not sell. I really like the R33's and most of those sell in the $50k+ range. It is a great looking car with an AWD system that was ahead of its time and a great engine with a ton of potential. The problem is that the technology, suspension, chassis development, etc. is 25+ years old. So at $50k+ there are a lot better and newer options available. These GT-R's are probably more reliable than German cars of the same vintage, but being as old as they are parts will still wear out and cost significant time and money to source since the car was never sold here new. Compare this to a car that is only 3-5 years old and can run circles around the GT-R with both cars in stock form and it becomes a tough sell for me.
Old 09-30-2023, 11:13 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
These GT-R's are probably more reliable than German cars of the same vintage, but being as old as they are parts will still wear out and cost significant time and money to source since the car was never sold here new. Compare this to a car that is only 3-5 years old and can run circles around the GT-R with both cars in stock form and it becomes a tough sell for me.
I agree with you 100% (even on the R33 vs R32 aspect). I think that I personally have a really soft spot for these JDM Legend type cars because I grew up near the end of the muscle car era and completely ignored almost everything from Japan. As such, discovering them now through the path that my two Gs carved makes them so much cooler, similar to finally listening to the B sides of classic Allman Brothers records. But let’s play devils advocate? If I purchase one of these 25 year old cars at a good price then invest money in restoring it to original condition, what will the value be at that point compared to say a newer 40k car that is still depreciating? I also was told by an owner up in OR that if you stay away from the “GTR” model that the prices of the lower end GTS models are decent. Same iconic 2.6L RB straight 6, no TT — strong resale. Still not sure about how I would feel driving on the right side of the car and shifting gears with my left hand/foot? Definitely an exercise in dexterity, but it would be a nice hobby restoring these cars.

Last edited by socketz67; 09-30-2023 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-30-2023, 01:43 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I know everyone goes crazy over the R34 and I think it is cool too, but I love the more rounded classic 90's design of the R33. (It is also much more affordable.)

I wonder if the same thing will happen in the U.S. that happened in Canada with GT-R's. They only had to wait for GT-R's to be 15 years old and imported a fair number of them so they were always fairly reasonably priced. Tough call on the values because they are not super rare and most of them were tuned or driven hard so most of them are not collectibles. I thought about GTS versions too since I don't mind RWD, but ultimately concluded that cars have had some pretty great advancements in the last 25 years. (This is me thinking of a daily driver for myself.) In your world a GT-R might be a really fun project to work on and restore/tune since you won't be driving it all the time and can wait 6mo+ for the hard to get parts when something fails. In that situation I think a GT-R makes a lot more sense.
The following users liked this post:
socketz67 (09-30-2023)
Old 10-01-2023, 01:34 AM
mummy2
Registered Member

Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts
Ugh that picture looks awful! Whatever engineer designed the routing of that timing chain should be shot. I've seen that repair done a few times in our Audi shop on S4's with the V8, but never on an RS4. I forget if the RS4 chains were redesigned or not, but they cannot be all that different. Either way it seems like an awful repair. Not that I needed any more convincing to not get that car. A picture is worth a thousand words, right?
This is the video I watched. Have to take basically the half of the car apart to do the timing chain because a little plastic piece breaks. Scroll down around 10 comments and you'll see the comment about the $32,000 quote to do it at Audi for a S4 with the V8.

Last edited by mummy2; 10-01-2023 at 01:39 AM.
Old 10-02-2023, 02:12 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

This is the video I watched. Have to take basically the half of the car apart to do the timing chain because a little plastic piece breaks. Scroll down around 10 comments and you'll see the comment about the $32,000 quote to do it at Audi for a S4 with the V8. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyjAxB6-KXA
Yeah it was a big issue with the S4 V8. I'm told the RS4 V8 is a lot more reliable, but still not easy to replace timing chains.
Old 10-02-2023, 04:50 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
My wife decided we should go look at cars on Saturday. Sadly, the S5 isn't in the cards as there just isn't enough rear seat space for my kids. She had been talking about moving back into a SUV, so we drove a SQ5. It was nice enough, but rather disappointing after thinking I was going to squeeze an S5 past her. Can't say it felt quicker or handled any better than our A4. We drove an A6 and she really liked that, and I thought it handled better than the SQ5 -- that whole center of gravity thing and an extra 100 pounds or so less I guess -- and it was just as quick despite being rated 15 hp less than the SQ5. Trunk space, which was a high priority for me, was better than our A4 (13.7 vs 12 cubic feet), but probably not as much as the S5/SQ5.

We went to the Genesis dealer and drove a GV70 3.5T. Really nice interior, but the suspension and transmission tuning left a lot to be desired compared to the SQ5, and the brakes felt like mush. Thanked the salesman but said we were leaning towards a A6. He wasn't exactly car savvy, and asked if that was an Audi lol. He thought they had taken one in on trade a while ago and we should take a look.

And just like that.....we drove home in a 2023 Premium Plus A6 with the Black Optics and Executive Package.

I'd have preferred brown leather instead of black, but our inner cheapskates were happy with a 20%+ discount compared to the black/black one we had driven earlier, and it only had 3600 miles on it. So, not necessarily what I set out after, but happy wife happy life and all that.

Feel like those 6 piston front brakes are worthy of a coat of caliper paint, and I'll probably slap a piggy back stage 1 tune on it
The following 4 users liked this post by Lego_Maniac:
2GoRNot2G (10-03-2023), 4DRZ (10-02-2023), backman_66 (10-02-2023), socketz67 (10-02-2023)
Old 10-02-2023, 05:05 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Dammmmmmmmmn, Lego. That's quite nice.
Old 10-02-2023, 05:20 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Dammmmmmmmmn, Lego. That's quite nice.
Thanks

The A6/A7 were not really even on the radar until the Audi salesman suggested we try one. Same turbo V6, but 7 speed DSG vs the 8 speed auto in the S(Q)/5. Definitely more 'luxury' then 'sport' at 4200+ pounds, but that's fine, it's the spouses car. There is certainly something to be said for an isolation chamber on wheels.
Old 10-02-2023, 05:55 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Thanks

The A6/A7 were not really even on the radar until the Audi salesman suggested we try one. Same turbo V6, but 7 speed DSG vs the 8 speed auto in the S(Q)/5. Definitely more 'luxury' then 'sport' at 4200+ pounds, but that's fine, it's the spouses car. There is certainly something to be said for an isolation chamber on wheels.
Nice A6! Do you find that transmission more fun to drive than the 8spd. in the S4/S5? The only thing I didn't like about the S4/S5 was the transmission. It was so smooth that I kept speeding because I could not feel it shift and had very little sensation of speed. Getting the DSG was one of the reasons I considered getting an S3 instead.

Speaking of getting an "isolation chamber," I picked up a Volvo XC60 for my wife late last week and traded in my Leaf. I was never a huge fan of Volvos and this is pretty far removed from a sports car, but wow is it nice. It is so calm and comfortable to drive (probably like your A6) that I feel like I am meditating. Now I am driving her '21 Sentra SR lease until I find something more fun to drive. It looks nice and handles well, but is just gutless compared to the instant torque of the Leaf. On more than one occasion I have stepped on the gas to pass or shoot a gap and had to remind myself I no longer have the same acceleration.

Not her actual car, but it looks just like this.

My whip until I find something more fun.

Old 10-02-2023, 05:58 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
After all that love for the Leaf, you just traded it away? wow
Old 10-02-2023, 06:08 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

"Happy wife, happy life." The Leaf was a perfect daily driver for me, but now that I know I can drive stick shift again I am not as disappointed and officially on the prowl for a fun car. However, this is twice now that I have had grand schemes of putting sticky tires on a Leaf to see if it really is the corner carver I think it could be.
Old 10-02-2023, 10:45 PM
mummy2
Registered Member

Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Speaking of getting an "isolation chamber," I picked up a Volvo XC60 for my wife late last week and traded in my Leaf. I was never a huge fan of Volvos and this is pretty far removed from a sports car, but wow is it nice. It is so calm and comfortable to drive (probably like your A6) that I feel like I am meditating. Now I am driving her '21 Sentra SR lease until I find something more fun to drive. It looks nice and handles well, but is just gutless compared to the instant torque of the Leaf. On more than one occasion I have stepped on the gas to pass or shoot a gap and had to remind myself I no longer have the same acceleration.

Not her actual car, but it looks just like this.

Don't know if the XC60 ever had their turbo V6 like the XC70 did, but you would put that thing in sport mode it would snap your neck back with all that low end torque.
Old 10-03-2023, 08:54 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Nice A6! Do you find that transmission more fun to drive than the 8spd. in the S4/S5? The only thing I didn't like about the S4/S5 was the transmission. It was so smooth that I kept speeding because I could not feel it shift and had very little sensation of speed. Getting the DSG was one of the reasons I considered getting an S3 instead.
Yeah, I definitely prefer the DSG to the ZF 8 speed. But, as I'm learning, the DSG has a 520nm limit (equal to about 383 lb-ft) and APR measured 373 to the wheels, so it's near the limit in stock form. With stage 1 being 500 lb-ft, the 8 speed auto is probably better suited to the car and the target market. Kinda puts a damper on my stage 1 plans, but the guys at Burger Mortorsports (ie JB4) are telling me they target peak torque closer to 4-4500 rpm vs APR at 2500 and they aren't experiencing or getting feedback of the clutches slipping. I was going to go the piggyback direction anyway, but sounds like I'll be more in the +1-2psi range than +4-5.

Congrats on the new rides

After all these years, 4DR is nothing if not unpredictable

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?