G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2023, 06:36 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 239 Likes on 165 Posts
Type S easy. Engineering Explained was gushing over it.

The following 5 users liked this post by SupraOfDoom:
2GoRNot2G (09-25-2023), 4DRZ (09-16-2023), Lego_Maniac (09-15-2023), Rochester (09-16-2023), socketz67 (09-15-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 08:28 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 229 Posts
I love his channel and this is one of his better reviews. Excellent explanation of the physics which comprise the "seat of the pants" feeling.

Makes me want to test drive the Acura, and I'm equally a RWD snob like he "used to be".

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by socketz67; 09-15-2023 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-16-2023, 08:35 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Fantastic review! Totally worth the time to watch. I've a lot more respect for the Teg now.

Also, the way he describes how rewarding the Teg's shifter feels is how I feel about the STS and RJM pedal in my G every time I drive it.
The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (09-20-2023)
Old 09-16-2023, 11:08 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom
Type S easy. Engineering Explained was gushing over it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8baRV_fhMI
That's a great video and explanation about how the Acura feels as fast as the new M2! Weight savings explained mathematically. lol I had kind of written off the Acura since the Type R seems like a better value, but maybe I will reconsider a bit here. It's ironic to me because I actually spent the last day researching the 1st gen M2 as an option because the engine supposedly sounds better than the last two generations and it would be about the same price or less than a Type R. (Lego's comment about selling the G37 made me remember how good mine sounded and I remembered how hard it is to make a 4cylinder sound good.) I drove the last generation M2 competition and it rode better than an M3 competition, but I am not sure of the ride quality of the 1st gen M2 (or the Type R). The M2 would be the best car on track and it would probably get me to do more track days like Road America, Blackhawk Farms, and Autobahn CC. However, the RWD would not be great in the winter, the HK stereo is probably just ok, and the ride quality is probably nowhere near as compliant as the GTI.

In the Acura Type S video I agree that the heads up display could come in handy, the stereo is better, and the exhaust probably sounds better than the Civic. I also agree that the Type S styling is a bit more mature/sleeper like I prefer. However, the Civic does have a bit nicer interior with some cool track features like the LED F1 style shift lights and track display/app. The shifter & pedal placement/clutch in both cars is good, but to the point you almost take it for granted because you start to think, "this is how it should be." It just works. I think you can make any car that good at shifting. Some just take more work than others. For me it really comes down to the comfort of the ride of the Civic and how easy it is to get in and out of those seats. In other words, would it be an ok daily driver? If it is, then it is pretty difficult for me to justify an extra $7-$8k for the Acura.

As an enthusiast dad, the GTI 380 SE and Type S are probably the two best options since they are the two best daily drivers and you can still have a little fun on track if necessary. But it gets pretty hard to justify the Type S once I consider it will cost me $20k more and doesn't ride as well. I have a feeling that a 1st gen M2 will ride too rough for me and maybe the Type R too. If the M2 rides decent I think it will be hard for the other 3 to compare. If the Type R rides decent I think I will have a tough choice between that and the GTI.
Old 09-20-2023, 11:34 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Have you guys ever noticed that the more you mod a car, the longer you seem to keep it? It seems like If you get a more basic car and mod it to be uniquely yours, then you seem to take more pride of ownership and keep it longer. Compared to spending a little extra to get a better car that you don't modify much, but you get tired of it sooner. Does that make sense? I was just thinking about all the cars I owned over the years and this thought seems to be pretty consistent.

Also, random forum thought- Why did the "user control panel" link get removed from the top left of the home page? Now it says "subscribed forums," but is completely blank even though I am subscribed to many forums.
Old 09-20-2023, 11:41 AM
backman_66
Registered Member

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Have you guys ever noticed that the more you mod a car, the longer you seem to keep it?
100% true in my case. I form a personal bond with my vehicle the more I mod it. That's why it's so hard to see someone else driving away with your vehicle after selling it. So much time spent with that vehicle. Plus the amount of money spent on mods, which you'll never get back when selling it.
Rochester
Administrator

Have you guys ever noticed that the more you mod a car, the longer you seem to keep it? It seems like If you get a more basic car and mod it to be uniquely yours, then you seem to take more pride of ownership and keep it longer. Compared to spending a little extra to get a better car that you don't modify much, but you get tired of it sooner. Does that make sense? I was just thinking about all the cars I owned over the years and this thought seems to be pretty consistent.
Same here. But I've also seen members here burn through their mod plans in a couple of years, then move on right away.

Also, random forum thought- Why did the "user control panel" link get removed from the top left of the home page? Now it says "subscribed forums," but is completely blank even though I am subscribed to many forums.
I asked IB about that, and was told there's going to be additional changes to address the lost of the Control Panel link that used to be there. Don't know when, and don't care for the current change either.
Rochester
Administrator

A $63,000 Nismo Z without a 6MT? Seriously?

I mean, if you're willing to give up a manual transmission in a sportscar, then that's Stingray money.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-20-2023 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-20-2023, 02:29 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

I completely agree and have tried to explain this to others, but many do not seem to get it as most see the car as tool or appliance in their life, not a family member or object that provides any form of sustained enjoyment.

Last edited by socketz67; 09-20-2023 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-20-2023, 03:15 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
For some folks, a car is a transportation appliance. A black box that gets them from point to point, and while it can be customized to their likings, it never develops any kind of 'soul' to them.

On the other hand, there's die hard gearheads. When my last rotary car rolled away on a trailer... it was an 89 convertible that I'd put a Turbo drivetrain in along with upgrades. I probably had 3000 hours of work in that car. And being my last rotary... I had a moment. An identity crisis even, at least superficially.

Facts being facts, I should sell my G. I drive a company car 99% of the time and could rent something for the 1%. I'm literally insuring a car that rarely moves. But... when I *do* drive it, it makes me happy in a way that an appliance cannot. And THAT boys and girls is why some of us hang on to vehicles long after their utility has elapsed.
socketz67 (09-20-2023)
Old 09-20-2023, 03:23 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
I'm becoming the opposite. I had more done to my G (~6 years ownership) than R (5 years). In fact, I kind of like having everything all sorted out from the factory. And I'm getting older, I don't enjoy turning wrenches and spending a weekend crawling around underneath a car as much as I did when I was younger, and I refuse to pay someone to mod my car.
2GoRNot2G (09-21-2023)
Old 09-20-2023, 03:35 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I'm becoming the opposite. I had more done to my G (~6 years ownership) than R (5 years). In fact, I kind of like having everything all sorted out from the factory. And I'm getting older, I don't enjoy turning wrenches and spending a weekend crawling around underneath a car as much as I did when I was younger, and I refuse to pay someone to mod my car.
There is that, as much as I don't want to admit it. Still - I'm not likely to be able to afford a car actually pre-sorted to my liking, ever - so that leaves me with a good platform for mods and intelligent application of mods.
Old 09-20-2023, 05:44 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rotarymike
For some folks, a car is a transportation appliance. A black box that gets them from point to point, and while it can be customized to their likings, it never develops any kind of 'soul' to them.
The people I see at the local shopping center scraping their wheels on the curb when parking or dragging the fascia when exiting the lot. Not sure they even know something bad is happening as long as the car is still running.

Originally Posted by rotarymike
Facts being facts, I should sell my G. I drive a company car 99% of the time and could rent something for the 1%. I'm literally insuring a car that rarely moves. But... when I *do* drive it, it makes me happy in a way that an appliance cannot. And THAT boys and girls is why some of us hang on to vehicles long after their utility has elapsed.
Have you thought about storing the car? I think you need to update the DMV before you can drop the insurance, so it may be more of a hassle than its worth. I am only driving 6-7K now per year if I'm lucky (I look for reasons to drive), so the whole EV or new car value prop is wasted on me. I have considered storing my G for a while and maybe picking up a 2019-2020 Nismo 370Z and switch back and forth? I receive a car allowance from work, so the 2-Door is tricky, but manageable if I have a 4-door in the wings. To be honest, if they ever monitored the car plan, the idea of a 10-year-old car is also a no-no.

Per ​​​​@Lego_Maniac 's comment, I kind of like the idea of a factory modded car. This is what attracted me to the Red Sport initially, but all of the longtime Infiniti folks I've worked with for years tell me to stay away from the Q because the Turbos will fail (there was no upgrade in 2019 as many speculate). It's a great car to lease and return, which has never been my use case. The Nismo Z is something I could hang onto for a few years, and it will likely lose very little of its value. The platform underneath is essentially a G Sport model with a modded suspension, ground effects kit and custom exhaust. Inherently reliable, and a 6MT to boot.

Last edited by socketz67; 09-20-2023 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-22-2023, 11:47 AM
Rochester
Administrator

This dropped today:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...mparison-test/
4DRZ (09-22-2023)
Old 09-22-2023, 11:53 AM
backman_66
Registered Member

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
That's one slow car!! "Passing power lagged too, with the Type S requiring 10.7 seconds to go from 30 to 50 mph and 6.9 seconds to go from 50 to 70."

😂

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?