G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2023, 10:02 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
The Honda and Acura are better cars, but are they $12-20K better? And is that extra $$ going to put more a bigger smile on your face the couple times a year you throw a car around a go kart track vs the GTI?
I've given this some more thought. I think the $12k gap on the Civic Type R gets a lot smaller since most used Type R's are selling for $10k over sticker or more and the GTI will surely depreciate. I don't think I could do sell the Acura for $10k over msrp. The Honda/Acura twins would put a bigger smile on my face every time I drive them. The only thing I am unsure of on the Type R is how easy it is to get in and out of the seats and the ride quality. I am dying to drive one, but it might mean passing on the GTI entirely since I doubt we will see a Type R until this coming Spring or later and it looks like one of our (now 3) VW stores already has a GTI 380 on order that will probably be here in November. Not a great time to get a car on summer tires. I just wonder how long VW will produce that model as the 40th anniversary model really just arrived during one month.
Old 09-14-2023, 10:36 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I've given this some more thought. I think the $12k gap on the Civic Type R gets a lot smaller since most used Type R's are selling for $10k over sticker or more and the GTI will surely depreciate. I don't think I could do sell the Acura for $10k over msrp. The Honda/Acura twins would put a bigger smile on my face every time I drive them. The only thing I am unsure of on the Type R is how easy it is to get in and out of the seats and the ride quality. I am dying to drive one, but it might mean passing on the GTI entirely since I doubt we will see a Type R until this coming Spring or later and it looks like one of our (now 3) VW stores already has a GTI 380 on order that will probably be here in November. Not a great time to get a car on summer tires. I just wonder how long VW will produce that model as the 40th anniversary model really just arrived during one month.
I guess that depends on how long you plan to keep the car, and how long the current clown world pricing on used cars continues. Not sure I'd personally hedge my bets that a CTR will still be going for $10K over sticker 2-3-4-5 years from now. Eventually supply and demand are going to equalize. Maybe lol.

You probably have at least until summer next year, although you're also limited by not just availability, but your specific dealers inventory.

Summer tires in November wouldn't concern me
Old 09-14-2023, 10:40 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
I guess that depends on how long you plan to keep the car
Know your audience.

You and I might think in terms of years, well past the typical bank note. But 4DRZ is more of a "how many months?" guy. He may agonize over long-term plans, but there's always a new plan in the works after the current one kicks off.

It's been a fun thread.
The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (09-14-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 10:47 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Know your audience.

You and I might think in terms of years, well past the typical bank note. But 4DRZ is more of a "how many months?" guy.
5 years for the R last month

And you've had the G for like a decade now, right? Funny how that Jag you wanted, and my 3rd car plans are off the table now.
Old 09-14-2023, 10:58 AM
Rochester
Administrator

5 years for the R last month

And you've had the G for like a decade now, right? Funny how that Jag you wanted, and my 3rd car plans are off the table now.
Purchased January of 2012, so that would be 11 and a half years so far.

And yeah, the Jag was an unrealized plan. It could have happened, but life, kids in college and Covid just scuttled the Jag. Kind of sad, but meh. Moving on.

I think what's going to happen is in two years I'll sell the G here on the forum, and buy a dual-motor VW ID.4
Old 09-14-2023, 11:21 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Know your audience.

You and I might think in terms of years, well past the typical bank note. But 4DRZ is more of a "how many months?" guy. He may agonize over long-term plans, but there's always a new plan in the works after the current one kicks off.

It's been a fun thread.
Glad you are having fun with the thread. It has definitely been up and down as far as cars go since I sold the G37 due to covid pricing and injury. Until I sold the G37 I did usually keep cars a lot longer. I had the G37 for about 5 1/2 years and both Subarus before that for 5-6 years each. When I got the first Gladiator I planned to keep it a long time until I realized I could actually trade it in for more than I paid for it and get one with the equipment I really wanted. I sold the 2nd Gladitor because the uber rare STI Type RA became available at another store for a steal and again I could sell Gladiator #2 for more than I paid for it. I planned to keep the STI for a while until I realized I could sell that for more than I paid for it too and it was really not a great daily driver. That process got sped up when I hurt my back and could no longer push that tight clutch in without lots of pain. I thought I would get rid of the Leaf to get the 40th anniversary GTI and keep that a long time, but we know how that ended. I could honestly keep the Leaf a long time and it would work perfectly for me. It has been a surprisingly good car and a lot more fun to drive around town than I thought. But now that I can drive stick again and I realize how rare and limited stick shift cars are I figure I better get a good one. I think I would keep the next car for a more normal period of time. At least until some legit good performance EV's hit the market and make gas enthusiast cars nearly obsolete.

I think what's going to happen is in two years I'll sell the G here on the forum, and buy a dual-motor VW ID.4
Take a look at the Nissan Ariya too. It currently has more power, range, features, and less cost than the ID.4. It also has a much larger screen for the dashboard and just won an award for one of the best interiors. The only advantage I see to the ID.4 right now is the massaging seat. Who knows what both cars will be like in 2 years, but it's worth a look.
Old 09-14-2023, 12:37 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Take a look at the Nissan Ariya too. It currently has more power, range, features, and less cost than the ID.4. It also has a much larger screen for the dashboard and just won an award for one of the best interiors. The only advantage I see to the ID.4 right now is the massaging seat. Who knows what both cars will be like in 2 years, but it's worth a look.
Will do. I saw my first Ariya on the highway last month, and was surprised at how appealing it was. Prior to that all I saw was online and I wasn't interested, but in person it's better. Funny how that works.

And you're right, two years is a long ways out. At the moment, the only EV that the wife and I were both drawn to at the Autoshow was the ID.4.

While in Ireland, I saw an ID.Buzz. It looked fantastic. Not for me, but still a very cool looking car.
Old 09-14-2023, 01:08 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Glad you are having fun with the thread. It has definitely been up and down as far as cars go since I sold the G37 due to covid pricing and injury. Until I sold the G37 I did usually keep cars a lot longer. I had the G37 for about 5 1/2 years and both Subarus before that for 5-6 years each. When I got the first Gladiator I planned to keep it a long time until I realized I could actually trade it in for more than I paid for it and get one with the equipment I really wanted. I sold the 2nd Gladitor because the uber rare STI Type RA became available at another store for a steal and again I could sell Gladiator #2 for more than I paid for it. I planned to keep the STI for a while until I realized I could sell that for more than I paid for it too and it was really not a great daily driver. That process got sped up when I hurt my back and could no longer push that tight clutch in without lots of pain. I thought I would get rid of the Leaf to get the 40th anniversary GTI and keep that a long time, but we know how that ended. I could honestly keep the Leaf a long time and it would work perfectly for me. It has been a surprisingly good car and a lot more fun to drive around town than I thought. But now that I can drive stick again and I realize how rare and limited stick shift cars are I figure I better get a good one. I think I would keep the next car for a more normal period of time. At least until some legit good performance EV's hit the market and make gas enthusiast cars nearly obsolete.

Do you ever regret selling the G? Seems like you've bounced around a lot and are chasing a unicorn so to speak. Even today, your G sure checks a lot of the boxes you are looking for.
Old 09-14-2023, 04:34 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Will do. I saw my first Ariya on the highway last month, and was surprised at how appealing it was. Prior to that all I saw was online and I wasn't interested, but in person it's better. Funny how that works.

And you're right, two years is a long ways out. At the moment, the only EV that the wife and I were both drawn to at the Autoshow was the ID.4.

While in Ireland, I saw an ID.Buzz. It looked fantastic. Not for me, but still a very cool looking car.
I also like the ID.4 and love the idea of massaging seats (even though you cannot adjust the massage like an Audi). We sell the ID.4 here too. Then we got in our first Ariya and sitting inside it made me realize how much nicer it was. Again, two years from now who knows which one will be better.

I think the ID.Buzz is cool too and tried to talk my wife into it for her car. Growing up we had a green '79 VW Westy van and it was so neat. No power to go up hills, no A/C, and hardly any heat in the winter, but it was pretty awesome as a kid to sleep above the roof in the pop top.

Question for you: Knowing what I am looking for would you tell me to get the Honda Type R, GTI, or Acura Type S?

Do you ever regret selling the G? Seems like you've bounced around a lot and are chasing a unicorn so to speak. Even today, your G sure checks a lot of the boxes you are looking for.
Great question. Oddly I don't miss selling the G at all. I had a lot of fun with that car, but I also enjoy hearing how happy it makes the current owner. Usually when I keep a car that long I end up doing a lot of modifications and the project becomes like a piece of art to me. I look at it as something I can create like I am making the world a better place for enthusiasts one car at a time. I know it sounds trippy, but I suck at art so this is how I create cool things- by tuning cars. I felt the same way about selling the STI Type RA. Not nearly the same amount of upgrades, but that guy was so stoked to get the car and I made it one of a kind.

That being said I did consider creating a tuned G convertible for my wife and secretly for me because I knew I could make it sound awesome and thought the intake and exhaust would sound even better with the top down. So I do miss the tuned sound I had and also the sound of the Bose system with the large woofers in the front doors. I think the ELS stereo in the Acura is the only factory system that sounds as good to my ears, but the bass is not as balanced coming from the rear of the car. What I don't miss about the G is how slow and heavy it was and how absolutely awful the stock clutch and shifter were. The good thing is I know how to easily fix those things. I do look every once in a while for a red 6spd. sedan to do an inexpensive street car/daily driver project, but they are still priced too high and the technology is pretty dated now. Ultimately, I know I would be really disappointed in the performance compared to a modern car. My needs have changed to be a little more daily driver/ride quality friendly and a little less track rat, but I still want the car that puts the biggest smile on my face every time I drive for the least money.

So I'll ask you the same question I asked Rochester: Knowing what I am looking for would you tell me to get the Honda Type R, GTI, or Acura Type S?
Old 09-14-2023, 04:37 PM
backman_66
Registered Member

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Type R gets my vote. Best value / resale / smile factor / iconic.
4DRZ (09-14-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 04:48 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Time to get serious! I've included a poll. And/or just leave comments as to which car you think I should get and why: Acura Integra Type S, VW GTI 380 SE, or Honda Civic Type R. Thanks for your input!
Old 09-14-2023, 04:55 PM
Rochester
Administrator

So I'll ask you the same question I asked Rochester: Knowing what I am looking for would you tell me to get the Honda Type R, GTI, or Acura Type S?
I think the Acura will feel special, but only for a few years. And then it won't anymore.
I think the GTI will be the most rewarding car to drive for as long as you own it. (Just a guess)
And I think the Honda is a perfect compromise, which isn't a bad word. It's a great car.

The Acura is kind of ostentatious. The GTI is so unassuming that ownership is a personal experience. And the Honda is... another Honda.

If it were me, I'd pursue the VW. But if you're going to dump it in a few years, then get the Acura and enjoy it while the moment lasts. And if you just want a reliable, fun car that doesn't break the bank, then get the Honda.
socketz67 (09-14-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 05:16 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Another vote for the GTI.

A tune, STS, RSB, and pocket the savings vs the other two. Realistically, you probably aren't going to access the extra 10-20% performance capabilities they offer on the street, and it's a steep premium for a couple track days a year.
Old 09-14-2023, 11:04 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
I think you go one end of the spectrum or the other. GTI with a few thousand dollars in mods to make it yours and make it faster. Or buy the blue Acura, it'll be the most special as John said, and I think you'd enjoy it for longer having the more premium car and features over the GTI. I vote blue Acura.
Lego_Maniac (09-15-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 03:26 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
My vote is for the Acura Type S. I have a couple of much younger buddies that have the Type R and absolutely love it. And the Type S just seems like a Type R for grownups, so that would be the one I would choose if I was ever in the market for another sports sedan.
Lego_Maniac (09-15-2023)

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?