G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2023, 10:31 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Epiphany
My wife didn't actually like the way the HRV drove, much preferred the Nissans. The kicks is "quick", won't win any awards or races but at just over 2600 pounds its very peppy feeling. My wife has been driving a 2008 Yaris for the last 11 years and the Kicks feels like a very natural progression. The Qashqai despite being a bit larger felt smaller inside which I think is mainly from the shorter windows in the Qashqai. We're going to drive a ~2016 RAV-4 because she wants to try a Toyota as well. I think it'll be between the Kicks and the RAV-4 for her next vehicle. Supposedly the CVT issues are less bad, but still notable. If we get the Kicks I'd be very on top of regular fluid changes with the CVT.
RAV-4 will likely be the priciest of the group, but of course this is because people hand their 10–15-year-old Toyotas down to their children based on Toyota's impeccable reputation for reliability. How has the Yaris held up? Any teenagers you can turn it over to? I'm guessing it may be worth close to what you paid for it back in 2014-15.
Old 09-05-2023, 10:59 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by socketz67
RAV-4 will likely be the priciest of the group, but of course this is because people hand their 10–15-year-old Toyotas down to their children based on Toyota's impeccable reputation for reliability. How has the Yaris held up? Any teenagers you can turn it over to? I'm guessing it may be worth close to what you paid for it back in 2014-15.
Yeah ~27k CAD gets us a brand new Kicks SV or a 10 year old mid level RAV with over 60k miles on it with less features. Of course the Toyota will have better reliability and quality but still I think those are the 2 vehicles it'll be between for us. Yaris is amazing, in the 10 years we've been together the only work it's needed other than brakes/tires/fluids is a drive belt and we replaced the 2 rear hubs last summer. Car is beater status, failed clear all over it, peeling paint on the front bumper and some pretty decent quarter panel rust and the car is still worth about $5000 CAD I expect. We'll probably try to find a friend of a friend to sell it to as it's crazy reliable and good on gas, only teen in the family already has a nicer vehicle lol.
The following users liked this post:
socketz67 (09-06-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 03:15 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Yeah, European emissions/fuel economy regulations were to blame. There were competing rumors that it would carry on in the NA market, but looks like it was cut altogether.

Bummer for sure, but I can see why. VW only sold 8423 GTIs and Rs last year. Even if 1/2 of those were manuals, there just isn't a business case to continue the manual. If my google foo is correct, those numbers are pathetic compared to past years

2018 --42K
2019 --37K (last year of the MK7 R)
2020 --26K
2021 --9K

Guess the sales falling off a cliff can be contributed to a combination of killing the base Golf, a redesigned interior with a terrible UI (especially compared to the prior generation), price creep, compounded by dealerships tacking on ridiculous markups and/or loading up high margin dealer installed accessories and extras, higher financing rates, improved competition (CTR, Elantra NR, GR, etc), and people just keeping cars longer. All of which, like you said, adds up to a bummer. Guess the manual R and GTI joins the STI and others in the graveyard of enthusiast cars killed off by a declining demand
The complete lack of inventory sure did not help GTI sales either the last couple of years. Until we built a new VW building last year (and are in the process of building a new Nissan building this year) both brands regularly had less than 10 vehicles on the lot. We normally have 150-200 Nissans and over 100 VW. Now we are finally getting some inventory. It was interesting to see with the GTI because both of our VW stores were originally only allocated one 40th anniversary edition. Because our store got a new building, about a month later we got 6 additional 40th anniversary editions. The other store only got one. Crazy!

Speaking of GTI's what does everyone think about this new electric version due in a few years that is actually smaller? I am all for the way small cars handle and I have to admit I am having a lot more fun driving this Leaf around town than I ever thought I would. I also like the hidden rear door handles to make it look like a coupe. And of course, I am a sucker for the bright red. I met with a surgeon for my back injury the same day this car was released and the surgeon thinks the pain I was feeling driving a stick shift will actually work as a type of "nerve floss" to help me heal better. Great news! So ironically I find out about the new GTI EV A/T on the same day. The good news is they think I don't need surgery yet. The bad news is they are unsure if the pain in my heel that keeps me from running, jumping, wearing regular shoes, or going barefoot will ever go away. Major bummer. Anyway, the good news is that I think this is a cool concept and I am excited to see some other brands bring out actual performance EV's. Nissan is supposed to bring out some Nismo EV's in December.

My wife didn't actually like the way the HRV drove, much preferred the Nissans. The kicks is "quick", won't win any awards or races but at just over 2600 pounds its very peppy feeling. My wife has been driving a 2008 Yaris for the last 11 years and the Kicks feels like a very natural progression. The Qashqai despite being a bit larger felt smaller inside which I think is mainly from the shorter windows in the Qashqai. We're going to drive a ~2016 RAV-4 because she wants to try a Toyota as well. I think it'll be between the Kicks and the RAV-4 for her next vehicle. Supposedly the CVT issues are less bad, but still notable. If we get the Kicks I'd be very on top of regular fluid changes with the CVT.
09-03-2023 09:57 PM
Is the Quashqai a newer version of the Rogue Sport that they discontinued this year in the U.S? It looks like it and if so you are right that the Kicks feels more spacious inside. The only thing to be careful with the CVT transmission is to be sure that you replace the fluid with genuine Nissan CVT fluid or you will have problems like most people who try to service it at a non-Nissan store. The good news is that the service interval is usually about half as often as regular transmissions. Most cars today are built pretty well. Our Nissan shop is a lot smaller than our Toyota shop and we sell just about as many Nissans each month.
Old 09-08-2023, 11:09 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Is the Quashqai a newer version of the Rogue Sport that they discontinued this year in the U.S? It looks like it and if so you are right that the Kicks feels more spacious inside. The only thing to be careful with the CVT transmission is to be sure that you replace the fluid with genuine Nissan CVT fluid or you will have problems like most people who try to service it at a non-Nissan store. The good news is that the service interval is usually about half as often as regular transmissions. Most cars today are built pretty well. Our Nissan shop is a lot smaller than our Toyota shop and we sell just about as many Nissans each month.
Yeah, I forgot they call it something different down there. We have the Mitsubishi RVR you guys have the Outlander Sport. She'll will likely put 10k miles a year on it if that so I'm not too too worried about the mileage on the transmission at least, and I'd definitely only go OEM for fluid on it. I'm honestly really impressed with the mid level SV trim.
Old 09-09-2023, 07:08 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Those images of the new EV-GTI are very appealing.

Shame about the MT news from VW and Mini. Inevitable and sad.
Old 09-09-2023, 09:38 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Yeah, I forgot they call it something different down there. We have the Mitsubishi RVR you guys have the Outlander Sport. She'll will likely put 10k miles a year on it if that so I'm not too too worried about the mileage on the transmission at least, and I'd definitely only go OEM for fluid on it. I'm honestly really impressed with the mid level SV trim.
We sell a ton of Kicks here. It has a lot of features for the money. If you can wait, Nissan is rumored to be bringing out a new version of the Kicks in the next year and it is supposed to have AWD.
Old 09-09-2023, 10:40 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

We sell a ton of Kicks here. It has a lot of features for the money. If you can wait, Nissan is rumored to be bringing out a new version of the Kicks in the next year and it is supposed to have AWD.
I was looking at them Thursday when I was having a service done at the combined Infiniti/Nissan dealer (we have no more Infiniti only dealers in SD). They actually look nice. I'm still concerned about the Nissan CVT.
Old 09-09-2023, 11:48 AM
Rochester
Administrator

The CVT in my kid's 2014 Sentra is the worst transmission I've ever driven. It's just awful.
Old 09-09-2023, 12:08 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
The CVT in my kid's 2014 Sentra is the worst transmission I've ever driven. It's just awful.
Yeah, the CVT is definitely not for enthusiasts or engagement with the car. I think most manufacturers that followed Nissan's lead did it for the mpg benefits. Speaking of A/T cars, has anyone driven a Lexus ISF 2012 or newer? I hear good things about this car, but I am not sure about the ride quality as a daily driver and I never get too excited about an A/T of any kind. This one looks like a good deal.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

Old 09-09-2023, 01:44 PM
Rochester
Administrator

No, that wasn't a commentary on all CV transmissions, just the old Sentra. The CVT in the Maxima for the last decade has been fine, and the CVT in my wife's Subaru Forester is really good.

But the CVT in this 9 year old Sentra sucks. Driving down a steep hill causes it to freak out.
Old 09-09-2023, 01:52 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
No, that wasn't a commentary on all CV transmissions, just the old Sentra. The CVT in the Maxima for the last decade has been fine, and the CVT in my wife's Subaru Forester is really good.

But the CVT in this 9 year old Sentra sucks. Driving down a steep hill causes it to freak out.
There are not a lot of great things to talk about on a 9 year old Sentra except the fact that they usually run forever. The CVT doesn't sound like it is working properly. Typically, downhill most Nissan CVT's will change to a lower gear ratio automatically to help with engine braking.
Old 09-09-2023, 02:29 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Despite my sister never having an issue within it in 2 generations of Maximas, the Nissan CVTs worry me because I know Infiniti people that now work for "Nissan/Infiniti" tell me to steer clear.

I'm thinking that there has to a reason why Infiniti transitioned to a 9AT/ZF from a CVT in the 2022 QX60. Shame that one cannot get this SUV in a RWD.

As Rochester mentioned, others such as Subaru and even Honda have transitioned to a CVT without the black eyes that Nissan experienced.
Old 09-09-2023, 02:43 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Speaking of A/T cars, has anyone driven a Lexus ISF 2012 or newer? I hear good things about this car, but I am not sure about the ride quality as a daily driver and I never get too excited about an A/T of any kind. This one looks like a good deal.
I have never driven one, but it of course remains on my short list of next cars to buy because of the JDM heritage, RWD and iconic build quality.

I have been a passenger in these cars, and to be honest, they make the G37 feel like a 5 series. Very tight inside. I've read that the base handling is nothing exciting, but balanced. It's also not as quick as a G37 on paper.

On the new model, I like how they allow you to select the Mark Levison Stereo and sport suspension with LSD as seperate packages. The F Sport Performance Exhaust is a nice option as well (some believe its made by Tanabe).

https://www.lexus.com/build-your-lexus/#!/zip/92064/series/IS/year/2023/trim/9510/buildId/102/display-summary/my-dream-car/{-x-:-01J7-,-i-:-EA62-,-a-:[-LM-,-G4-,-G5-,-5E-],-p-:[-NL-,-MM-,-IH-],-z-:}

I wonder if the buildl price is the actual price you pay, or if 10% or more in delaer chargers will be tacked on top? At this point, a Model 3 Performance discussion needs to take place.

Last edited by socketz67; 09-09-2023 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-09-2023, 03:14 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by socketz67
Despite my sister never having an issue within it in 2 generations of Maximas, the Nissan CVTs worry me because I know Infiniti people that now work for "Nissan/Infiniti" tell me to steer clear.

I'm thinking that there has to a reason why Infiniti transitioned to a 9AT/ZF from a CVT in the 2022 QX60. Shame that one cannot get this SUV in a RWD.

As Rochester mentioned, others such as Subaru and even Honda have transitioned to a CVT without the black eyes that Nissan experienced.
Just get a Pathfinder if you like the QX60. Same vehicle for less. The Pathfinder CVT story is interesting. The Pathfinder came out in the early 80's and first saw a CVT in 2013. (Nissan introduced the CVT to the U.S. in the Murano in 2002.) Pathfinder loyalists instantly hated it because they were not used to the feeling of no shifting. Nissan responded by changing the programming of the CVT so it would "fake shift" like a regular A/T if you had the pedal 1/2-3/4 down. If you gradually accelerated or floored it the CVT would still feel like it only had one gear. Now every Nissan CVT does this. Fast forward to the 2021 Frontier that got a new 9 speed transmission and updated V6 before the new body style came out in 2022. People loved it in the Frontier and it was cheaper and easier for Nissan just to bolt that combo up to the new Pathfinder and say it has a "new" engine and transmission as well as the rest of the vehicle being new.
The following users liked this post:
socketz67 (09-09-2023)
Old 09-09-2023, 03:28 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

@4DRZ As a Nissan sales professional , what are your thoughts on the Frontier Pro-4X?
https://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/t...cs/pro-4x.html

I see it getting slammed in trade rags for being "long in the tooth", but for me, that translates into "Reliable". I like the way it looks and perfomrs (for a 4x4).

Also, the both the Toyota 4Runner and Tacoma are also built on fairly mature RWD based truck platforms.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?