G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2023, 04:47 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by socketz67
A friend of mine at my last employer owned a supercharged 2006 E55 AMG with low miles that he bought for 25K from a wealthy guy in Las Vegas that stored the car in a hanger with his airplane. The car was mint and pulled like there was no tomorrow. Another one that is very expensive to repair, but he was YOLO.
We had a couple of the E55 AMG's over the years at my store and they were always silver or black. They do have a great motor and are luxurious, but are also expensive to fix. I was considering getting one myself because they are fun to drive. I asked my Mercedes service team across the street if there was anything expensive to fix. I was told the main issue is the suspension. It is $4,000/corner to fix and not a matter of if they fail, but when they fail. And sometimes 2 or 3 fail at the same time. Yikes!
The following users liked this post:
socketz67 (08-26-2023)
Old 08-26-2023, 05:17 PM
2.2Lude
Registered Member

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
We had a couple of the E55 AMG's over the years at my store and they were always silver or black. They do have a great motor and are luxurious, but are also expensive to fix. I was considering getting one myself because they are fun to drive. I asked my Mercedes service team across the street if there was anything expensive to fix. I was told the main issue is the suspension. It is $4,000/corner to fix and not a matter of if they fail, but when they fail. And sometimes 2 or 3 fail at the same time. Yikes!
Those are dealer prices, from what I remember aftermarket replacement air struts are about $600 from FCP :
https://www.fcpeuro.com/Mercedes~Ben...5&b=5&d=713&v=

Not saying its super cheap or anything but much better than the dealership prices.
I've always wanted an E55 AMG as a daily but those maintenance cost scaries are not for the faint of heart.
The following 3 users liked this post by 2.2Lude:
4DRZ (08-26-2023), Lego_Maniac (08-26-2023), socketz67 (08-26-2023)
Old 08-28-2023, 11:00 AM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
Maybe it was fun to drive in 2006 but today the transmission feels ancient and kills the driving experience.
Old 08-28-2023, 02:00 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RobC7
Maybe it was fun to drive in 2006 but today the transmission feels ancient and kills the driving experience.
I was referring to the engine and straight line performance, but I am sure a lot about that car feels ancient today. I always vote for a stick shift over an A/T just for the additional engagement and control of the car.
rotarymike (08-29-2023)
Old 08-30-2023, 11:15 AM
RobC7
Registered Member

Well get your GTi/R in manual before they are gone...

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/08/30/...-transmission/
Old 08-30-2023, 11:16 AM
RobC7
Registered Member

I was referring to the engine and straight line performance, but I am sure a lot about that car feels ancient today. I always vote for a stick shift over an A/T just for the additional engagement and control of the car.
It was fast for that time period but if you were to drive it today you would quickly realize the autotragic sucks all of the fun out.
Old 08-30-2023, 05:45 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Well get your GTi/R in manual before they are gone...

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/08/30/...-transmission/
For some reason I cannot open that link, but I assume it is about the 2024 GTI 380. Sounds like it does not come in the Tornado red I like, but I like the black wheels they are putting on the car (from the Golf R 20th) better than the ones with the red stripe from the 40th anniversary and it looks cleaner without the 40th anniversary decals. The adaptive dampers (that I need for my back) are now on the SE model too. I like the sunroof, harmon kardon stereo, and wireless car play on the SE, but it gets the biggest price increase since it does not normally have 19" wheels or adaptive suspension so it will be about $5k more than the S. That's a tough sell for me since the base stereo in the S is pretty good and it also has actual ***** for the stereo. The S actually would be a touch cheaper than the 40th, the Autobahn would be a bit more than the 2023 version and the SE would be about $2k more than the 2023 version. Overall good news. Just a bit of a bummer since all the rumors said there were "big changes" coming for 2024 and VW was doing away with the lousy haptic controls. Nope.

It was fast for that time period but if you were to drive it today you would quickly realize the autotragic sucks all of the fun out.
I bet it does.
Old 08-30-2023, 07:00 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
For some reason I cannot open that link, but I assume it is about the 2024 GTI 380.
Yes. But it also confirms the rumor that 2024 will be the last year for a manual.

I don’t think this is the anticipated redesign. The MK8.5 will be in 2025, minus a manual.
Old 08-31-2023, 03:09 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Yes. But it also confirms the rumor that 2024 will be the last year for a manual.

I don’t think this is the anticipated redesign. The MK8.5 will be in 2025, minus a manual.
I never heard a rumor about 2024 being the last year of the manual (bummer), but I did hear multiple rumors that "big upgrades" were coming in 2024- especially related to the haptic controls. Instead we got a warmed over 40th anniversary edition just like VW did with the GTI 337 and the 20th anniversary. I do like the wheels and lack of door graphics better as well as being able to get the adaptive suspension on the SE though.
Old 09-01-2023, 09:14 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
I never heard a rumor about 2024 being the last year of the manual (bummer), but I did hear multiple rumors that "big upgrades" were coming in 2024- especially related to the haptic controls. Instead we got a warmed over 40th anniversary edition just like VW did with the GTI 337 and the 20th anniversary. I do like the wheels and lack of door graphics better as well as being able to get the adaptive suspension on the SE though.
Yeah, European emissions/fuel economy regulations were to blame. There were competing rumors that it would carry on in the NA market, but looks like it was cut altogether.

Bummer for sure, but I can see why. VW only sold 8423 GTIs and Rs last year. Even if 1/2 of those were manuals, there just isn't a business case to continue the manual. If my google foo is correct, those numbers are pathetic compared to past years

2018 --42K
2019 --37K (last year of the MK7 R)
2020 --26K
2021 --9K

Guess the sales falling off a cliff can be contributed to a combination of killing the base Golf, a redesigned interior with a terrible UI (especially compared to the prior generation), price creep, compounded by dealerships tacking on ridiculous markups and/or loading up high margin dealer installed accessories and extras, higher financing rates, improved competition (CTR, Elantra NR, GR, etc), and people just keeping cars longer. All of which, like you said, adds up to a bummer. Guess the manual R and GTI joins the STI and others in the graveyard of enthusiast cars killed off by a declining demand
Old 09-02-2023, 07:24 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
Being that I haven't gone test driving for like 8 years now it surprises me how good even basic vehicles are these days. Drove a Qashqai, Kicks and HRV today as options for the wifes next vehicle. Even the Kicks is way nice than it has any right being for the car. 6 year old HRV costs the same as a brand new Kicks too which is pretty wild.
Old 09-03-2023, 10:26 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Epiphany
Being that I haven't gone test driving for like 8 years now it surprises me how good even basic vehicles are these days. Drove a Qashqai, Kicks and HRV today as options for the wifes next vehicle. Even the Kicks is way nice than it has any right being for the car. 6 year old HRV costs the same as a brand new Kicks too which is pretty wild.
Used Hondas and especially Toyotas have reached new levels of madness based on all of the YouTube and Quora authors publishing weekly articles on "the most reliable used vehicles". Non car people flock to those in droves then ignore other models/brands.

With that said, my wife also loves the HRV (on her second Pilot now).

Regarding the Kicks, is it as slow as some of the reviewers claim? Has Nissan figured out their CVT issues yet?

When I was on vacation, my niece back east had purchased a new Nissan Altima SR and I have to admit that the interior/styling was excellent. Wish they made those in RWD.

https://www.caranddriver.com/nissan/altima
Old 09-03-2023, 10:05 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 331 Likes on 253 Posts
Starting to really think about the CT4 Blackwing, after seeing one in the wild. Set an alert for any 6MTs which come available in my area.

I’ve checked the older posts about this car in this thread, has anyone test driven one since?
Old 09-03-2023, 10:57 PM
mummy2
Registered Member

Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts
The Ferrari Portofino. Would have to throw some aftermarket wheels on it though. Saw a Ferrari 488 Pista Spider yesterday. Looks so plain in person. 488

Portofino M

Spider

Spider interior
4Pista Spider
Old 09-03-2023, 11:16 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by socketz67
Used Hondas and especially Toyotas have reached new levels of madness based on all of the YouTube and Quora authors publishing weekly articles on "the most reliable used vehicles". Non car people flock to those in droves then ignore other models/brands.

With that said, my wife also loves the HRV (on her second Pilot now).

Regarding the Kicks, is it as slow as some of the reviewers claim? Has Nissan figured out their CVT issues yet?

When I was on vacation, my niece back east had purchased a new Nissan Altima SR and I have to admit that the interior/styling was excellent. Wish they made those in RWD.

https://www.caranddriver.com/nissan/altima
My wife didn't actually like the way the HRV drove, much preferred the Nissans. The kicks is "quick", won't win any awards or races but at just over 2600 pounds its very peppy feeling. My wife has been driving a 2008 Yaris for the last 11 years and the Kicks feels like a very natural progression. The Qashqai despite being a bit larger felt smaller inside which I think is mainly from the shorter windows in the Qashqai. We're going to drive a ~2016 RAV-4 because she wants to try a Toyota as well. I think it'll be between the Kicks and the RAV-4 for her next vehicle. Supposedly the CVT issues are less bad, but still notable. If we get the Kicks I'd be very on top of regular fluid changes with the CVT.
socketz67 (09-05-2023)

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?