G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2023, 01:00 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Mercedes-Benz started that "4-door coupe" marketing crap long ago. Utter nonsense.
Yeah, and all the other German manufacturers piled on. Marketing lingo aside, I see it as a sedan, or a hatchback. And it does bridge some of the difference in trunk space between a car and a CUV. With the rear seats folded down and the parcel shelf removed, it's a huge space.

Years ago I had a Mazda 6s hatchback. Loved the flexibility the hatch provided.

Originally Posted by mummy2
Do your homework and you'll find that actually a coupe can have 4 doors and a sedan can have 2.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coupe

I guess I need to do my homework too. The whole 4 door "coupe" thing seems kinda like "alternative facts"

edit: I guess if you scroll down, even wiki says there is a "variation" of coupes that have 4 doors and a "coupe like roofline". IDK, that seems vague. Like, what defines a "couple like roofline" is in the eye of the beholder, or the market department

Last edited by Lego_Maniac; 08-15-2023 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-15-2023, 01:16 PM
mummy2
Registered Member

Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Yeah, and all the other German manufacturers piled on. Marketing lingo aside, I see it as a sedan, or a hatchback. And it does bridge some of the difference in trunk space between a car and a CUV. With the rear seats folded down and the parcel shelf removed, it's a huge space.

Years ago I had a Mazda 6s hatchback. Loved the flexibility the hatch provided.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coupe

I guess I need to do my homework too. The whole 4 door "coupe" thing seems kinda like "alternative facts"

edit: I guess if you scroll down, even wiki says there is a "variation" of coupes that have 4 doors and a "coupe like roofline". IDK, that seems vague. Like, what defines a "couple like roofline" is in the eye of the beholder, or the market department
Please don't ever do legitimate research using Wikipedia as a source, lol. Coupe and sedan are actually defined by interior space. Those big S Class "coupes" by Benz for example are actually sedans. The Ferrari 612 Scaglietti, Mercedes CL-Class, Chevy Monte Carlo, and surprisingly, the Mazda RX-8 are also sedans.

Last edited by mummy2; 08-15-2023 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-15-2023, 01:22 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Do your homework and you'll find that actually a coupe can have 4 doors and a sedan can have 2.
Meh. It's more fun to have this conversation. Or at least it was for a moment.

The moment's gone.
The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (08-15-2023)
Old 08-15-2023, 01:27 PM
mummy2
Registered Member

Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Meh. It's more fun to have this conversation. Or at least it was for a moment.

The moment's gone.
Well I went ahead and did your homework for you. Technically, a sedan is any closed-roof car with greater than or equal to 33 cubic feet of rear interior volume.
Old 08-15-2023, 01:30 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Well I went ahead and did your homework for you. Technically, a sedan is any closed-roof car with greater than or equal to 33 cubic feet of rear interior volume.
The homework you assigned me?
Old 08-15-2023, 01:34 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Please don't ever do legitimate research using Wikipedia as a source, lol. Coupe and sedan are actually defined by interior space. Those big S Class "coupes" by Benz for example are actually sedans. The Ferrari 612 Scaglietti, Mercedes CL-Class, Chevy Monte Carlo, and surprisingly, the Mazda RX-8 are also sedans.
I don't care enough to do anything other than a cursory search. Sorry, not sorry.
Old 08-15-2023, 01:56 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyTheMan
I did a lot of searching on the bentley forums, seems the twin turbo w12 is a bulletproof engine. Electrical issues seem to be the main concern and a lot of those are apparently caused by water getting in by bad seals. Seems i could use some silicone lube or something to keep that issue away. Not a whole lot of mods you can do with them either, exhaust, intake filters, tune, wheels, and shocks. A kind of a plus i wouldn't be constantly buying aftermarket parts like i am with my g37. Its unique around here too, maybe seen 2 in the past 10 years, a red continental gt and a silver flying spur.
I am glad to hear that you think the W12 twin turbo is bulletproof, because when something goes on that engine, wow is it going to be expensive to fix. The electrical issues may also be due to the fact that VW had a lot to do with that engine and electrical system. Germans in general seem to over-engineer things compared to much simpler Japanese cars. Sometimes it is not so much an electrical issue as it is the fact that there are 30%+ more electrical parts to achieve the same function compared to a Japanese car. Fortunately, I think the Germans, especially VW, have certainly simplified some of their engineering in the last decade.

The big question I had was how the turbo V6 and 8 speed auto compared to the 2.0T and 7 speed DSG. This is an apples to oranges comparison, since our A4 is piggyback tuned, and probably makes similar torque to the stock V6, and at light throttle, I didn't feel any real difference. Once past 4500 rpm or so, the V6 definitely makes more power, and sounds fantastic in comparison. Oddly enough, I thought the DSG felt sharper, shifting quicker and responding faster to the paddles. The 8 speed felt smoother at low speeds in traffic shifting between 1-2-1 etc.

Both our A4 and the S5 I drove were Premium Plus trims, so the only real difference is the seats. The diamond pattern stitched seats are gorgeous in Magma Red, but they didn't feel much more supportive. Unfortunately, if you want ventilated seats, you have to downgrade to the optional in the a A4 sport seats. Fortunately, the standard seats have a massage function, which I thought would be a gimmick, but were actually pretty nice. Pros and Cons to each. Ventilated seats would be nice on hot days when the car is sitting outside, while I think massaging seats would be nice on a long trip. I generally make small adjustments to my seating position anyway so my back doesn't tighten up and I think this would accomplish the same thing, probably even more so.
I am sure you already noticed this, but most of the additional space in the S5 is produced with additional height up to the back window which is not terribly useable space and also means you need to block the rear window to take full advantage. However, the big advantage is having nearly suv-like space for hauling larger items with the rear seats folded down. Speaking of seats the massaging part was a surprisingly good feature. You can pick 3 different types of massage and I believe even choose different intensities. They also made some of them with suede inserts in the seats which is my preference since they are not super hot in the summer and ice cold in the winter like leather. They are just harder to find because the full leather is actually considered an upgrade. One S5 hack is that if you want the heated steering wheel on a used one you can easily tell in pictures because the steering wheel will be fully round instead of a flat bottom. Another hack is looking for the red painted brake calipers in pictures as this will give you the sport package with the adaptive dampers and more importantly the active rear differential. It handles extremely well with this package and the right tires.

I am not surprised you like the DSG transmission better. The regular 8AT was the one real disappointment for me in that car. It is very smooth and quiet, but it is also very boring and I found myself constantly speeding because it was hard to get a good judge on speed with that A/T compared to a DSG since you have one more layer between you and actual involvement in the car. I'm not sure if your wife would be a fan, but E85 tunes on that car are bonkers. Over 600 lb/ft. of torque!?!
Old 08-15-2023, 02:56 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I am sure you already noticed this, but most of the additional space in the S5 is produced with additional height up to the back window which is not terribly useable space and also means you need to block the rear window to take full advantage. However, the big advantage is having nearly suv-like space for hauling larger items with the rear seats folded down.
Yeah, I speculated that height was a big part of the increase in trunk space. But, the A5/S5 lose, I think, 1" of rear seat leg room because they are pushed forward slightly more. If Car & Driver was able to fit an additional carry on in the back of the sportback vs sedan, well, that is literally the space I'm short when traveling with the family. I know I'm placing a ridiculous priority on trunk space, but we want to stay in a car vs CUV/SUV, and apparently "nobody needs more than 3 pair of shoes for the beach" isn't an acceptable solution

Speaking of seats the massaging part was a surprisingly good feature. You can pick 3 different types of massage and I believe even choose different intensities. They also made some of them with suede inserts in the seats which is my preference since they are not super hot in the summer and ice cold in the winter like leather. They are just harder to find because the full leather is actually considered an upgrade. One S5 hack is that if you want the heated steering wheel on a used one you can easily tell in pictures because the steering wheel will be fully round instead of a flat bottom. Another hack is looking for the red painted brake calipers in pictures as this will give you the sport package with the adaptive dampers and more importantly the active rear differential. It handles extremely well with this package and the right tires.
Yeah, 3 different massage types with 3 levels of intensity. I thought it would be a gimmick--was pleasantly surprised. Is it suede or cloth? They had a couple A5 sportbacks that didn't have the full leather and it looked like cloth but I didn't pay that close of attention. You'd probably have to find a base model to get cloth and no heated wheel, since the wheel is included in Premium Plus and Prestige Packages, which is too bad, I'd prefer the flat bottom wheel. All the S5s were loaded up with the higher trims packages, the ring puddle lights, and the "sport resonator" etc. Why not, right? If people are essentially paying MSRP, might as well run it up. Only catch on the red calipers is they are also included in the black optics package.

I am not surprised you like the DSG transmission better. The regular 8AT was the one real disappointment for me in that car. It is very smooth and quiet, but it is also very boring and I found myself constantly speeding because it was hard to get a good judge on speed with that A/T compared to a DSG since you have one more layer between you and actual involvement in the car. I'm not sure if your wife would be a fan, but E85 tunes on that car are bonkers. Over 600 lb/ft. of torque!?!
Boring is a good way to describe the 8AT. Not sure why Audi uses the DSG on the A6/7 with the 3.0T and sticks the 8AT in the S4. I'd definitely tune it APR claims +119 hp and +205 torque. I'd go the JB4 piggy back route and give up some of those gains up for what it is.
Old 08-15-2023, 03:05 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

They had a couple A5 sportbacks that didn't have the full leather and it looked like cloth but I didn't pay that close of attention. You'd probably have to find a base model to get cloth and no heated wheel, since the wheel is included in Premium Plus and Prestige Packages, which is too bad, I'd prefer the flat bottom wheel. All the S5s were loaded up with the higher trims packages, the ring puddle lights, and the "sport resonator" etc. Why not, right?
That's right, the A5 might be black cloth inserts if I remember right, but those are nice too. The suede inserts on S4/S5 are a little bit lighter gray with lighter stitching. Really nice looking. I'm told the sport resonator sounds nice and I think it even sounds decent under load without it. All the guys at Audi told me to get it when I was looking at S4's.
Old 08-15-2023, 03:36 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

That's right, the A5 might be black cloth inserts if I remember right, but those are nice too. The suede inserts on S4/S5 are a little bit lighter gray with lighter stitching. Really nice looking. I'm told the sport resonator sounds nice and I think it even sounds decent under load without it. All the guys at Audi told me to get it when I was looking at S4's.
OK, so after a bit of research, you've convinced me that I'd be equally as happy with the suede/alcantara inserts. Too bad they are only available in black (hard no) and rotor grey (2nd choice) but not Magma
Old 08-15-2023, 05:08 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

OK, so after a bit of research, you've convinced me that I'd be equally as happy with the suede/alcantara inserts. Too bad they are only available in black (hard no) and rotor grey (2nd choice) but not Magma
Well the good news is that if you like Magma, there always seem to be a few more S5's with those seats on the used market than the suede inserts. If you are considering new then you don't need to worry at all.
Old 08-15-2023, 10:26 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Mercedes-Benz started that "4-door coupe" marketing crap long ago. Utter nonsense.

The following 3 users liked this post by socketz67:
ILM-NC G37S (08-16-2023), Lego_Maniac (08-16-2023), rotarymike (08-16-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 10:32 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
^^^^ SO MUCH THIS ^^^^

I did my final paper in MBA level Marketing on how marketing as practiced today is the root of all evil. Prof didn't like that. Dean of the uni did though so :shrug:
The following 2 users liked this post by rotarymike:
2.2Lude (08-16-2023), socketz67 (08-16-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 12:37 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
^^^^ SO MUCH THIS ^^^^

I did my final paper in MBA level Marketing on how marketing as practiced today is the root of all evil. Prof didn't like that. Dean of the uni did though so :shrug:
Perception is often reality anymore. Infiniti should be an MBA use case on **** poor marketing and squandered opportunity.
Old 08-17-2023, 03:03 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by socketz67
Perception is often reality anymore. Infiniti should be an MBA use case on **** poor marketing and squandered opportunity.
The Nissan Titan is another great example of **** poor marketing. Excellent truck that everyone who owns one seems to love, but completely invisible in the marketplace.
The following users liked this post:
socketz67 (08-17-2023)

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?