G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2023, 01:10 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Seriously?!? Is this maybe just in your area? I know incentives are sometimes regional. There are no incentives listed at all for the CT4-V Blackwing on Cadillac's website with my zip code. Bummer. That would be awesome though!

Speaking of the Blackwing, will someone please buy this loaded & clean ATS-V 6 spd. before I do just to store it in my garage until I can drive stick shift regularly again? I think I may have finally found the worthy replacement for my G. It's even in the same color. lol At this price you wouldn't even have to feel guilty about not tracking the car and using the performance data recorder for track videos overlayed with actual data from the car to improve lap times. So cool.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

Yes, GM and was offering Employee pricing + I believe a 4k incentive.

The following users liked this post:
socketz67 (08-08-2023)
Old 08-08-2023, 05:27 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 1,073 Posts
Came across this....
and
https://www.motor1.com/news/680350/n...ugust-8-debut/

While not my cup of tea others might like it.
Old 08-10-2023, 07:39 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by RobC7
Yes, GM and was offering Employee pricing + I believe a 4k incentive.

Crazy! Employee pricing was not available on the Blackwing the last time I checked, but that is a healthy discount. What are the details on the "bonus cash" when you click on the link for more details? I wonder if it is loyalty, military, etc. No rebates are listed on Cadillac's website.

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Came across this....
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti3qmfkIocc
and
https://www.motor1.com/news/680350/n...ugust-8-debut/

While not my cup of tea others might like it.
I saw that too and thought it was neat, but not quite something I would buy. Apparently Nissan is making every Nismo car in that boulder gray color now. At least there are rumors there will be a manual Nismo Z since I am not a huge fan of A/T.
Old 08-12-2023, 03:52 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Crazy! Employee pricing was not available on the Blackwing the last time I checked, but that is a healthy discount. What are the details on the "bonus cash" when you click on the link for more details? I wonder if it is loyalty, military, etc. No rebates are listed on Cadillac's website.

I saw that too and thought it was neat, but not quite something I would buy. Apparently Nissan is making every Nismo car in that boulder gray color now. At least there are rumors there will be a manual Nismo Z since I am not a huge fan of A/T.
Employee pricing was available for a limited time I believe. Here is my local dealer Heritage Cadillac in Lombard IL with another deal:

4DRZ (08-14-2023)
Old 08-14-2023, 01:56 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RobC7
Employee pricing was available for a limited time I believe. Here is my local dealer Heritage Cadillac in Lombard IL with another deal:

Hot damn! An IMSA edition lists for nearly $90k!?! The used ATS-V is looking better and better.
Old 08-14-2023, 03:26 PM
BillyTheMan
Registered Member

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
Lately I've been browsing older bentley continental gt. I've heard mixed reviews on reliability but more good than bad. I know there's better cars you can get for $30k but they're intriguing to me.
Old 08-14-2023, 03:49 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BillyTheMan
Lately I've been browsing older bentley continental gt. I've heard mixed reviews on reliability but more good than bad. I know there's better cars you can get for $30k but they're intriguing to me.
A lot of luxury cars depreciate heavily making them a relative bargain on the used car market. However, their maintenance & service costs can often be eye wateringly expensive. If you have not done this already, give your closest Bentley service center a call. Ask them what their hourly rate is, what common repair costs are, what fails on the years you are looking at, and how much they will charge you to do an inspection on the car you plan to buy. I don't see a reason not to get the car you want if all of those things seem to fit the budget.
Old 08-14-2023, 05:29 PM
BillyTheMan
Registered Member

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
I did a lot of searching on the bentley forums, seems the twin turbo w12 is a bulletproof engine. Electrical issues seem to be the main concern and a lot of those are apparently caused by water getting in by bad seals. Seems i could use some silicone lube or something to keep that issue away. Not a whole lot of mods you can do with them either, exhaust, intake filters, tune, wheels, and shocks. A kind of a plus i wouldn't be constantly buying aftermarket parts like i am with my g37. Its unique around here too, maybe seen 2 in the past 10 years, a red continental gt and a silver flying spur.
Old 08-15-2023, 10:17 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
On Saturday I went and test drove an S5 sportback. After 4 years with our B9 A4, I'm starting to eye a replacement. My wife says the A4 is the best car she's ever owned, and it has served as a comfy, reliable, reasonably quick, and fun to drive family hauler. With one exception....it lacks trunk space. Every vacation means old dad gets to play Tetris with 12 cubic feet of trunk space and my families gear prior to departing . And as my 2 girls get older, fashion is taking on increasing importance when they pack, and I've given up hope on my wife packing lite. On paper, the sportback claims 21 cubic feet of trunk space. Not sure I entirely see that much difference, but I suspect some of it is vertical so it's less obvious. Nonetheless, Car & Driver claims 5 carryons for the A4, and 6 for the A5. Space for another duffle bag, and maybe some extra loose space is pretty much exactly what I need.

The big question I had was how the turbo V6 and 8 speed auto compared to the 2.0T and 7 speed DSG. This is an apples to oranges comparison, since our A4 is piggyback tuned, and probably makes similar torque to the stock V6, and at light throttle, I didn't feel any real difference. Once past 4500 rpm or so, the V6 definitely makes more power, and sounds fantastic in comparison. Oddly enough, I thought the DSG felt sharper, shifting quicker and responding faster to the paddles. The 8 speed felt smoother at low speeds in traffic shifting between 1-2-1 etc.

Both our A4 and the S5 I drove were Premium Plus trims, so the only real difference is the seats. The diamond pattern stitched seats are gorgeous in Magma Red, but they didn't feel much more supportive. Unfortunately, if you want ventilated seats, you have to downgrade to the optional in the a A4 sport seats. Fortunately, the standard seats have a massage function, which I thought would be a gimmick, but were actually pretty nice. Pros and Cons to each. Ventilated seats would be nice on hot days when the car is sitting outside, while I think massaging seats would be nice on a long trip. I generally make small adjustments to my seating position anyway so my back doesn't tighten up and I think this would accomplish the same thing, probably even more so.

Then there is price. For a comparable trim, the S5 is about $10K more. If it was going to be my car, I'd more easily be able to justify getting the S5 over the A4, but it's my wifes car, and since she can't drive manual, we don't switch cars, and I really only drive her car when we're going somewhere as a family. $10K amortized over a 5 year note isn't that much, and there will be some additional payback from the S5 vs A5 in the future. With a redesign coming supposedly in spring/summer 2024, I think April/May 2024 is going to be the sweet spot to pick one up prior to the next generation. Interest rates suck, and used cars aren't the value they were years ago. Ironically, my wife tells me I'm being cheap lol. I guess I need to keep an eye on new and CPO inventory and finance offers--last month was 2.99%, this month is 6.49%, but MY23 CPOs are 3.99%. This would be an easier decision in the old days of sub 2% rates.
Old 08-15-2023, 11:49 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Is the S5 Sportback a car that look like a sport sedan, but actually has a hatch instead of a trunk? Like the Kia Stinger and the VW Arteon?

I like that design a lot.
Old 08-15-2023, 11:57 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Is the S5 Sportback a car that look like a sport sedan, but actually has a hatch instead of a trunk? Like the Kia Stinger and the VW Arteon?

I like that design a lot.
Yeah. The whole “4 door coupe” marketing claim.
Old 08-15-2023, 12:00 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Yeah. The whole “4 door coupe” marketing claim.
Well that's confusing. A coupe is a 2-door with a trunk that isn't a Vert, not a 4-door with a hatch.

That makes no sense whatsoever. It's like voting for an dictator. Or fcking for virginity.
socketz67 (08-15-2023)
Old 08-15-2023, 12:09 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
... or a 4-door sports car <ducks>
Lego_Maniac (08-15-2023)
Old 08-15-2023, 12:28 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 1,073 Posts
Well that's confusing. A coupe is a 2-door with a trunk that isn't a Vert, not a 4-door with a hatch.That makes no sense whatsoever.
Mercedes-Benz started that "4-door coupe" marketing crap long ago. Utter nonsense.
The following 2 users liked this post by ILM-NC G37S:
Lego_Maniac (08-15-2023), socketz67 (08-15-2023)
Old 08-15-2023, 12:39 PM
mummy2
Registered Member

Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts
Well that's confusing. A coupe is a 2-door with a trunk that isn't a Vert, not a 4-door with a hatch.

That makes no sense whatsoever. It's like voting for an dictator. Or fcking for virginity.
Do your homework and you'll find that actually a coupe can have 4 doors and a sedan can have 2.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?