G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2023, 02:36 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
If you can get past the full-sized Chevy Malibu front end, it's one helluva car. Got to drive a 6MT a few years back, and wow! Just wow.

Butterface
I've always like those, and strongly considered one when I got my R, but yeah, Butterface, a meh interior, 4000 pounds and pretty lousy fuel economy killed that idea. They hold value though. 10 6MTs on cars.com, low mileage no accident examples are $55K
Old 08-01-2023, 02:46 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I've always like those, and strongly considered one when I got my R, but yeah, Butterface, a meh interior, 4000 pounds and pretty lousy fuel economy killed that idea. They hold value though. 10 6MTs on cars.com, low mileage no accident examples are $55K
Same here, Lego, same values. And I've been noticing them holding their resale online too. However, I've also seen them on used car lots and on the road looking exactly what you'd expect from a beat up Chevy family sedan, irrespective of the drivetrain.

Some cars age well even if you don't do a thing. And some cars need a little TLC to age well. I don't think the Chevy SS is either one of those cars.

This was exactly the way I felt about the Pontiac G8 GT and the last Pontiac GTO. Holden wasn't exotic just because it was Australian. it's Chevy down-under is all.

But if you've ever driven any one of those three, I'll say it again... WOW!
The following users liked this post:
socketz67 (08-01-2023)
Old 08-01-2023, 04:44 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Nissan released the Nismo version of the Z yesterday. I like that it gains 15" front rotors for the first time, more aggressive pads, an oil cooler, great looking forged Rays' wheels, stickier Dunlop tires, and Recaro seats. Unfortunately, it only comes in A/T, the power increase is marginal, and somehow Nissan figured out how to make a ground effects kit ugly.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a4...issan-nismo-z/

Fortunately, none of that matters because today Ford released the Mustang Black Horse which is available with a manual transmission that even includes a shiny 3D printed titanium shift ****. Too bad it will be $60-$80,000. Hopefully, it will depreciate like a normal Mustang and be much more affordable on the used market in a few years. I am I the only one that thinks it looks a lot more like a Camaro now?

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...k-horse-drive/

Old 08-01-2023, 07:01 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Somehow it looks like it's longer than the standard mustang.

I've seen the Black Horse at an auto show in February. It is one of the most menacing cars I've ever laid eyes on. Kind of how I felt when the Challenger first came out, all in black.

That dashboard... ugh. And too many splitters. But otherwise it would be a monster to drive. It would turn even the most mild mannered driver into a hulk rage within minutes behind the wheel.
Old 08-01-2023, 10:25 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 229 Posts
Despite the rental car mug (Top grill and lower portion need to meet to look more aggressive), I had considered the Chevy SS based the proven set of GM complimentary performance mechanicals (Reminds me of the 2004 GTO I almost purchased, Holden Monaro rebadged, but agree - WOW). It's essentially a lower end version of the older CTS-V (very difficult to find quality used models). But like others have mentioned, resale value is strong on the SS because of the limited numbers produced, so once you start thinking about a 45-50K Chevy Malibu cousin, other cars hit the radar as better long term prospects. The Blackwing is intoxicating, but its also 100K new and used versions go for more than 100K (R35 territory). One of these passed me in a local office park a few months back and they look even better IRL; one of the best looking mugs I've seen in some time. The CT5-V is actually a good looking car that's almost as quick as a Q50 RS, but a little pricier used. If the back seat is larger than a Lexus IS, and reliability exceeds BMW, then it may be an option.

Last edited by socketz67; 08-02-2023 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-02-2023, 10:12 AM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
The Nismo Z is what I expected from a company that is struggling to find its way. It's also quite ironic what kind of marketing hype Nissan made around the manual transmission in the new Z, only to exclude it from the performance line of the car.

I don't like how the new mustang looks and I agree they tried to make it look a bit too cartoonish like the Camaro. I also think 70k is too much for a 3,900lb N/A mustang but Ford is now standing alone in the segment and you don't really have any options from the competitors going forward. Savagegeese just did a documentary style review of the Dark Horse and it still sounds like their is something missing in the chassis and steering feel department. Also, what is going on with the interior? It's even worse in the lower trims where you have 2 separate screens. If you want the best bang for your buck and a car that you can use for track days, the Camaro SS 1LE is the best 50k you can spend.

In other news how about the new lightweight manual only 911 ST?

Old 08-02-2023, 10:26 AM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by socketz67
Despite the rental car mug, I had considered the Chevy SS based the proven set of GM complimentary performance mechanicals (Reminds me of the 2004 GTO I almost purchased, Holden Monaro rebadged, but agree - WOW). It's essentially a lower end version of the older CTS-V (very difficult to find quality used models). But like others have mentioned, resale value is strong on the SS because of the limited numbers produced, so once you start thinking about a 45-50K Chevy Malibu cousin, other cars hit the radar as better long term prospects. The Blackwing is intoxicating, but its also 100K new and used versions go for more than 100K (R35 territory). One of these passed me in a local office park a few months back and they look even better IRL; one of the best looking mugs I've seen in some time. The CT5-V is actually a good looking car that's almost as quick as a Q50 RS, but a little pricier used. If the back seat is larger than a Lexus IS, and reliability exceeds BMW, then it may be an option.
The ship has sailed on this one. When I had my C7, I toyed with the option of trading it in for a new 2017 SS which at the time could be bought for about 40k with all of the rebates GM offered. Now the car being 6+ years old and with some miles I can't see myself paying 50k for one.

GM is beginning to offer incentives on CT4 BW. I've seen up to 7k off MSRP however most at that price are automatic.
Old 08-02-2023, 11:40 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RobC7
GM is beginning to offer incentives on CT4 BW. I've seen up to 7k off MSRP however most at that price are automatic.
@RobC7 Have you driven or sat in the CT4? Is it as small inside as it looks? 7K off MSRP is excellent as that puts a well equipped version in the mid-40s (used low mileage Red Sport territory); Blackwing CT4 is cool, but still close to six figures.

While I wasn't looking for a turbo charged 4, the one they are using in the CT4 is well matched to the chassis - I need to check and see if the RWD uses a LSD, open diff = :-(

OK with Automatic since I'm waiting for Rochester to sell me his G sedan :-)

It's a GM car, so the depreciation hit will be large early on, but if lasts 5-7 years, I'd consider. I need to read more about the drivetrain GM uses as I'm not educated in their latest Engines, Trannies and Diffs.

Most reviews for this car are similar to this one - glowing.

Old 08-02-2023, 12:09 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by socketz67
OK with Automatic since I'm waiting for Rochester to sell me his G sedan :-)
Again with the breadcrumbs, LOL.

That would be a heck of a thing, flying to the east coast and driving it home.

I think if you did that we'd have to make you a moderator here. Probably should anyway.
The following users liked this post:
socketz67 (08-02-2023)
Old 08-02-2023, 12:47 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rochester
Again with the breadcrumbs, LOL.

That would be a heck of a thing, flying to the east coast and driving it home.

I've done that trip once (DC to San Diego) in a Ford Ranger back when I moved duty stations to attend C school in the Navy at Fleet ASW in SD; Back when we use to chase Russian subs around in the north Atlantic ocean.
Old 08-02-2023, 03:26 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by RobC7
Seriously?!? Is this maybe just in your area? I know incentives are sometimes regional. There are no incentives listed at all for the CT4-V Blackwing on Cadillac's website with my zip code. Bummer. That would be awesome though!

Speaking of the Blackwing, will someone please buy this loaded & clean ATS-V 6 spd. before I do just to store it in my garage until I can drive stick shift regularly again? I think I may have finally found the worthy replacement for my G. It's even in the same color. lol At this price you wouldn't even have to feel guilty about not tracking the car and using the performance data recorder for track videos overlayed with actual data from the car to improve lap times. So cool.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

Old 08-03-2023, 09:38 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 4DRZ

Speaking of the Blackwing, will someone please buy this loaded & clean ATS-V 6 spd. before I do just to store it in my garage until I can drive stick shift regularly again? I think I may have finally found the worthy replacement for my G. It's even in the same color. lol At this price you wouldn't even have to feel guilty about not tracking the car and using the performance data recorder for track videos overlayed with actual data from the car to improve lap times. So cool.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
Interesting. I could probably come close to even trading for that. Tempting, enough so to look at the CarFax. Unfortunately, it's been in a rear end collision. Find me one with no accidents and 10K less miles please
Old 08-03-2023, 03:03 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I never even thought about safety crew training at a track for an EV, but I wonder if that is an issue for some brands. The semi-flammable Bolt comes to mind with all of their stop sales due to starting on fire. It turns out it was due to a crucial missed step where the car was unable to disconnect the battery pack power connection from the car in an accident. I know Nissan added that safety feature with the Leaf from day one and no battery pack fires or recalls to date so it seems to be working. On track at speed, I bet there are a bunch of other things to consider. However, no gas in an EV which is usually the biggest issue in deadly track crashes so at least EV's are a lot safer in that regard.

Add stick shift to the equation and it becomes really tricky. New, you are limited to M3 or the Blackwings. Used opens up some options depending on the age and M3's and ATS-V's still qualify.

Road & Track did compare one to driving an E39 M5 and that is a pretty good driving larger sedan for its time. I saw one get traded in at one of our other stores, but I never got a chance to drive it. I have thought about this car a number of times as I bet the V8 sounds pretty good uncorked. I could just never get over the ugly and cheap looking styling inside and out. The other problem is that the last generation M3 is similar in price on the used market while being a lot better looking, much easier to tune, and significantly more capable and lighter. The ATS-V also exists.
Cop car Malibu - less glamor, same guts. Have ran the *hell* out of one of those even offroaded it (with LEO permission and supervision). Not bad performance car, if you don't care if you can drive it again when you're done with it.
Old 08-03-2023, 03:15 PM
backman_66
Registered Member

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Interesting. I could probably come close to even trading for that. Tempting, enough so to look at the CarFax. Unfortunately, it's been in a rear end collision. Find me one with no accidents and 10K less miles please
Trade for this beauty: 2009 E92 M3 6MT with 7k miles for $57k (these sell for much more with that many miles)
Old 08-03-2023, 04:12 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by backman_66
Trade for this beauty: 2009 E92 M3 6MT with 7k miles for $57k (these sell for much more with that many miles)
North Carolina too! That's a killer price, and almost too good to be true. Someone is going to ****** that up.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?