G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2023, 10:51 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
Nice view of the river/harbor for sure but... that's 4x my mortgage.
That's 10x my mortgage... (many, many refinances over the decades.) I've got about one more year to go, and then we burn it.j

Actually, then we sell it and start over. Which is another one of those plans, the "next-house" plan, that compromises the "next-car" plan.

Meh, it's all relative. Must be a helluva view in that rental.
Old 07-20-2023, 11:00 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
IMHO not worth that. Downtown Charleston is ridiculous though - skews our idea of costs of living for sure. Around 2009 a 2-car attached garage, no power, just a box for two cars with a door, sold for $475K.

Needless to say we do not live downtown. And now that I no longer work for Pro Bono I don't drive downtown either LOL.
Old 07-20-2023, 06:47 PM
Muck_Man
Registered Member

Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
There will never be any shortage of folks "Trying to keep up with the Jones'."
I asked a few of my friends up here (middle of Canada) that are car salesmen the percentage of people that can actually afford their car payments. They told me roughly 80% can't afford their car payments based on debt:income ratio. I'm not exactly sure what people think when shopping for a new, gonna say 'replacement' here, vehicle. Maybe they can afford the ~$700/month for a car on a month to month basis but the ~$30k on hand for a decent used vehicle may be out of the majority of the populations reach. Lots of people live cheque to cheque these days, fortunately I am not one of these people; however, I am not that far off. Cost of living is ridiculous these days and housing costs are through the roof. Somewhere there is a small beach house with my name on it and an old Toyota truck sitting the garage with a Honda scooter in the driveway. Maybe those vehicles will be my replacement of the G in the future.
The following users liked this post:
RA081224 (07-22-2023)
Old 07-21-2023, 10:06 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
The more redneck/hoodlum beach near me is Folly Island (town of Folly Beach). Recently a 900-ft2 bungalow that had its certificate of occupancy yanked for flood damage sold for 2.3 million. I think my small house on the beach idea (as I have that dream too) will only happen in some other country and/or after a larger percentage of the pop succumbs to the next pandemic. With my health issues, it ain't looking too good LOL.

I will be happy when the used car market pops this current bubble and old interesting cars become affordable again.

My buddy who was trying to get me interested in an Exocet recalled when the chassis was $4k, and a donor car $2k. Now the bare chassis is $8500, and an NB Miata that doesn't run sold on ebay for $12k+...
Old 07-22-2023, 11:52 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDevilsG

Nooooooooo

yeeeeeees

I know, styling is such a personal preference. Hatchbacks are not for everyone, but I love the versatility for hauling my mountain bike since there are really no good trails near my house.

Old 07-22-2023, 11:57 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

No one seemed interested in talking about rwd performance sedans after my link to the R&T article so here is a different spin from an article I just read this morning about the next gen M3 which might be full electric. A few things to unravel here. First, it is somewhat surprising that BMW may take inspiration from the Hyundai Ionic 5N for the next M3 with simulated shifts. At the same time it is not terribly surprising since Albert Biermann from BMW M (and I believe a few others) now work for Hyundai. Even though they can supposedly get 1,300 hp from an electric M3, I am happy to see that they are still trying to make it an involving car to drive. Also, do you see how wide those rear fenders are flared out? Wow! Finally, it sounds like the next M3 might also be a hybrid.

So my question is, why are we not seeing more enthusiast performance cars go hybrid? It seems like everyone is trying to just jump right into electric cars. With the exception of the new Mercedes AMG C63S E Performance that has a ton of torque & hp, I cannot think of many good hybrid performance cars. It seems like a win/win since you get better mpg, more power, and less weight gain than a full electric. I really thought the next gen Subaru STI was going to be a hybrid, but instead they also claim to go electric for the next version and now it might even be an SUV. Boo! Is it too difficult to figure out a manual transmission hybrid?

https://carbuzz.com/news/electric-bm...ndai-ioniq-5-n

Old 07-22-2023, 01:04 PM
RA081224
Banned

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
Speak for yourself, John (LOL). I'll be driving a sports car until I can't drive any more. Assuming I can afford things.

Seriously - how do folks buy cars that are $60K+? I make well into 6 figures and with household expenses there's no way in hell. And my kid isn't even in high school yet...
I don't think it has much to do with income, its more to do with the spending habits of most Americans. We borrow against future earnings to buy things now to satisfy our need for immediate gratification. We bank that our future income will grow without though of possible things like being laid off, lengthily unemployment, sickness, sudden expenses. Most American's don't even have a savings or investment plan just hoping that "things will magically happen." In my professional career, I ran across a lot of people who were enamored with their sudden cash influx given their employment, or bonuses or recent raises who were quick to the store to buy the latest toy. Everything in this world comes with a price. Most Americans do not think about the long-term effects debt will have on your cash flow not just now, but for the next 30 years in some cases.
The following 3 users liked this post by RA081224:
4DRZ (07-22-2023), Lego_Maniac (07-22-2023), rotarymike (07-24-2023)
Old 07-22-2023, 01:07 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
With the exception of the new Mercedes AMG C63S E Performance that has a ton of torque & hp, I cannot think of many good hybrid performance cars.
You're right about that, but soon as I read it I thought about this: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...ray-dissected/
4DRZ (07-22-2023)
Old 07-22-2023, 01:23 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Absinthe
I don't think it has much to do with income, its more to do with the spending habits of most Americans. We borrow against future earnings to buy things now to satisfy our need for immediate gratification. We bank that our future income will grow without though of possible things like being laid off, lengthily unemployment, sickness, sudden expenses. Most American's don't even have a savings or investment plan just hoping that "things will magically happen." In my professional career, I ran across a lot of people who were enamored with their sudden cash influx given their employment, or bonuses or recent raises who were quick to the store to buy the latest toy. Everything in this world comes with a price. Most Americans do not think about the long-term effects debt will have on your cash flow not just now, but for the next 30 years in some cases.
You are right about that. We certainly live in a consumerist society where we are constantly marketed to. Money might not bring you direct happiness itself, but in the U.S. we are sure lead to believe it will allow you to buy it along with everything else. The mindset here is all about instant gratification like you said with no thought about the future. I sure hope kids today are learning in school about the importance of saving and investing for your future.

Originally Posted by Rochester
You're right about that, but soon as I read it I thought about this: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...ray-dissected/
That's a strange one for me. When the Z06 exists I find it hard to get excited about that car, or any car with an A/T. I was initially excited about the AMG due to the huge increase in power while using a 4cyl. to replace the boot stomping V8, but it sounds like it is not a terribly rewarding car to drive unless you are drag racing.
Old 07-22-2023, 02:05 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I think for most the reword is looking at it in their garage.
Old 07-22-2023, 04:12 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
I think for most the reword is looking at it in their garage.
I assume you are talking about the Corvette. If so that is pretty accurate. A guy at work (younger than me) just picked up a new Vette and he keeps showing it to everyone, but I have yet to hear him say one word about how it actually drives. This is his 3rd Corvette and he talks like the typical retired Corvette driver, but ironically is only in his 30's. It's hilarious to hear him brag about the mpg he just got. We were going to get him a new Corvette starter pack with jean shorts, new balance shoes, long white socks, a fanny pack, and some coupons for local supper clubs. (His nickname is "supper club.") To be fair, the new Corvette is a hell of a car. It is surprising how well they were able to cater to the group of owners we were referring to, but also to hardcore track junkies. A great dual purpose Dr. Jeckyl/Mr. Hyde type of car.
The following 2 users liked this post by 4DRZ:
rotarymike (07-24-2023), TheDevilsG (07-23-2023)
Old 07-23-2023, 12:42 PM
RA081224
Banned

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
You are right about that. We certainly live in a consumerist society where we are constantly marketed to. Money might not bring you direct happiness itself, but in the U.S. we are sure lead to believe it will allow you to buy it along with everything else. The mindset here is all about instant gratification like you said with no thought about the future. I sure hope kids today are learning in school about the importance of saving and investing for your future.
We can hope, but my fear is that our public education system is more concerned about teaching subjects in response to the activist's outcry de-jour than actual life skills. I've had several "interventions" with my nieces and nephews to teach them how to manage a savings account, managing household finances, and even the concept of balancing a checkbook (she hadn't done it since she opened it over a year ago). They can tell you all about whose who on twitter and whose trending but know nothing of real life.

On to more interesting subjects. Strangely, I find now that the G is gone, and my garage is much bigger, I'm at a loss in thinking about my next vehicle. I'm loving all the suggestions and information in the forum but am actually, more longingly looking at a new dust collector and CNC router for the woodshop in my garage. Go figure .
Old 07-23-2023, 01:28 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

Received 118 Likes on 92 Posts
We were going to get him a new Corvette starter pack with jean shorts, new balance shoes, long white socks, a fanny pack, and some coupons for local supper clubs
This gave me a great laugh that i needed today, so thank you lol

Btw i was actually driving behind a new golf gti today (white). It IS quite nice, i dig the new slim tail lights, the leds in them, ect. It really is a good looking car, i can see why you choose this for your next A to B car to replace your (retired from track) g37. I do agree that red is the colour for it though as in photos the red looks really good.

Also; I finally got to see the 400z in person too a few days back on the highway (oddly enough also white). Love the back, side is alright, the front up close im still not a fan BUT as i drove up further ahead on the highway and looked back at it (say from 20 car lengths +), the front looked like an old 240z with led headlights and from that distance i liked it.

Maybe i actually will warm up to it in time. Its kind of funny of all the new cars tend to show up near me in white (which is what colour i tend to love and buy, my integra was white, my g is white) lol

But i still love the ol' gal, aint ready to move on yet lol
4DRZ (07-25-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 04:03 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

We just took in a 2014 GT-R on trade and I was told that it rides rough. Probably on coilovers. I'm not even remotely interested in driving it for fear of making my back worse. It's hell getting old. I drove a Miata 6 spd. the other day when my foot and leg were already bothering me in anticipation of trying to daily drive the GTI. I did it, but it definitely hurt. Hopefully, I am able to daily drive the GTI.

Not the actual GT-R, but it looks kind of ricey like this one:

Old 07-25-2023, 04:22 PM
Rochester
Administrator

That wing cheapens the heck out of the car, but otherwise OMG what a monster.

Good luck with your back issues and the new VW. Hope it works out.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?