G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2023, 10:41 AM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

Received 118 Likes on 92 Posts

I wouldnt mind one of these for next car. Hardtop, used, and manual (if you get a 6 cyl). Yea, she's british and maybe not soooo trustworthy, but she IS beautiful. Seriously why cant electric cars look like this and be electric, instead of looking like...well electric cars lol.
Old 07-19-2023, 11:03 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDevilsG

I wouldnt mind one of these for next car. Hardtop, used, and manual (if you get a 6 cyl). Yea, she's british and maybe not soooo trustworthy, but she IS beautiful. Seriously why cant electric cars look like this and be electric, instead of looking like...well electric cars lol.
Yep.

Go look at Comment #3 from 6 years ago.

Also, there never was a Hardtop.... just a Coupe, and a Vert with a fabric top. The Coupe is one of the sexiest cars ever made.

A friend of mine has the Coupe R, and that car is bonkers. So much fun to drive, two-pedal driving notwithstanding.
Old 07-19-2023, 11:36 AM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Yep.

Go look at Comment #3 from 6 years ago.
and apparently i had +liked that comment (god knows when). Well that car is so good looking, it deserves a mention again lol. It really is one of the best looking white 2 doors out there!

Your buddy has impeccable taste owning the R, THAT is going to be one difficult car to replace with something else and not feel regret or longing.
Old 07-19-2023, 12:29 PM
Rochester
Administrator

and apparently i had +liked that comment (god knows when). Well that car is so good looking, it deserves a mention again lol. It really is one of the best looking white 2 doors out there!

Your buddy has impeccable taste owning the R, THAT is going to be one difficult car to replace with something else and not feel regret or longing.
Roger was a member here. Went from a G Sedan to a Nismo Z to the F-Type R. Here, these are pics from our meetup last year:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/picture...22-photos.html

And you're right, I can't imagine where you go next from an F-Type R. At that point, you've arrived.
The following users liked this post:
TheDevilsG (07-19-2023)
Old 07-19-2023, 01:10 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
@Rochester why not accept that the G37 project is finished (with modification) and enjoy her? You can always pick up a cheap older car to tinker with if the mod bug is still gnawing on you.

I've kinda bounced around the idea of a late 80s-early 90s Civic (with the double wishbone front suspension instead of the newer ones with McPherson struts) as a stripped down mean and dirty autocross blaster. Only reason I haven't - no autocrosses close to me (all 2 hours +)

Edited to add: When in the before times I lived in NC and had access to an SCCA race shop, the shop foreman built a Yugo into an Improved Touring track car because everyone told him he couldn't. Every mod was hand crafted. It wasn't *fast*, as cars go, but it was fun as hell on VIR and similar technical tracks and would outrun cars with substantially more power (this guy knew his chassis/suspension setups for sure).

My best friend modded and tracked (HPDE, not sanctioned racing) a 3rd gen RX7 for a while. Eventually bought an NA Miata for track time and even though it was massively slower, taught him how to drive better and was actually way more fun - losing grip at 45mph in a corner is a lot less sphincter-tightening than at 100+ in the FD.
Old 07-19-2023, 02:35 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

@Rochester Your G looks really clean btw, like the vossens on it too. Subtle and classy. Looks different but not screaming for attention. Clean stock+1 look, well done. Nice clean sound too, no trumpet, no rasp. (Btw the orange fogs is a nice touch)

Yea that Jag is is seriously gorgeous, i love white on those but black pulls off that "villain" look quite well. But yea exactly , where do you go after that jag? You have arrived is the best way to put it tbh .

I keep thinking supra (price wise) for the next car but, if i can get a hold of an f type with the 6cyl+ 6spd manual with modest miles on it... Thats the money choice.
There is no other car that compares to the f type for me (in that price range), I want to look at that car everyday when i drink my morning coffee, and hear it scream as i shift the gears on every adventure. Absolutely love the jag.

Old 07-19-2023, 02:46 PM
Rochester
Administrator

@Rochester Your G looks really clean btw, like the vossens on it too. Subtle and classy. Looks different but not screaming for attention. Clean stock+1 look, well done. Nice clean sound too, no trumpet, no rasp. (Btw the orange fogs is a nice touch)
Thanks. That's pretty much how I feel about the car too, so it's nice to hear someone else come to the same opinions.

What you can't see in pictures is how crazy tight this car is, and how it snaps forward with the short rear gears. When I'm in the right head space, it really delivers.

if i can get a hold of an f type with the 6cyl+ 6spd manual with modest miles on it... Thats the money choice.
For something under $40k, we're talking around 6 or 7 years old, with 40-60k miles on it. There are always deals to be found, but when looking only for the 6MT on the V6, your options become seriously limited. Add to that you'd want the "S" model, not just the base V6 with the 6MT. There were two different V6 models, and the "S" had more HP and a limited slip rear end.

However, imagine a 7 year old British car with 7 years of someone else's problems. Imagine the maintenance costs, and the repair costs, and what it means for body repair with all those aluminum panels.

It's an exciting prospect, owning and driving the F-Type Coupe S 6MT. But there are always ways to talk yourself down, LOL. Believe me, I've wrestled with that conversation. It gets easier, though, after years of getting my girls through college, which is still a thing. The reality (my reality) is that when the kids move on, we're going to move to another house, which will probably be lateral or less in terms of space, but still an upgrade. So just doing the math of savings and retirement and my age... I could be 70 before I consider some kind of car fling. And 10 years from now I'll not be wanting an F-Type.

Sorry for all the OT. This should be a discussion of next car, not "why I'm not planning on next car".

Last edited by Rochester; 07-19-2023 at 03:22 PM.
socketz67 (07-19-2023)
Old 07-19-2023, 03:58 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

Sorry for all the OT. This should be a discussion of next car, not "why I'm not planning on next car".
I wouldn't apologize, discussing why we dont feel like moving on to the next car, also provides insight and proper contemplation to reach the right decision (which is of course different for each of us). But... Sometimes the right decision is NOT getting the next car because the grass may not always be greener, and we actually all do have some damn fine cars lol.

Myself, i have often made bad decisions chasing something i want and after much pain, end up in a happy place (my G was a rough start and i couldnt be happier now years later), so i actually dont want to talk myself out of the Jaguar even though i do agree its an absolutely terrible decision!
So head first into the dumpster fire that is a used F type i will probably go one day.
Rochester (07-19-2023)
Old 07-19-2023, 04:01 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

And 10 years from now I'll not be wanting an F-Type.
Speak for yourself, John (LOL). I'll be driving a sports car until I can't drive any more. Assuming I can afford things.

Seriously - how do folks buy cars that are $60K+? I make well into 6 figures and with household expenses there's no way in hell. And my kid isn't even in high school yet...
Old 07-19-2023, 04:19 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by rotarymike
Seriously - how do folks buy cars that are $60K+? I make well into 6 figures and with household expenses there's no way in hell. And my kid isn't even in high school yet...
Same here, and I genuinely don't know.

There's this "new normal" where a car I would typically be interested in now costs north of $50k. It's blowing my mind, and making me grab my wallet with a death grip.
Old 07-19-2023, 04:49 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

I've looked at used Lotus Exiges and most are going for north of $100k. When I was looking at careers that would generate that kind of income (back then they were brand new for about 75) I could have bought an exotic-adjacent car like an NSX or GT3 with that kind of money. Now... we *might* be able to replace the wife's CX-5 with a new one (for $45k).

Makes me consider our trip to Czech a lot more - outside of Prague, $75k income (which I could get from my current employer as a contract reviewer) would set us up better than in the US on just my income... I'd just have to drive a Seat or Peugot 30x...
Old 07-19-2023, 05:12 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 229 Posts
Same here, and I genuinely don't know.

There's this "new normal" where a car I would typically be interested in now costs north of $50k. It's blowing my mind, and making me grab my wallet with a death grip.
Funny. I complain about the same thing to my wife. I am still stuck in 2015 thinking a 35K car is expensive ; anymore, that's Altima territory as even "hot hatch" FWDs are selling for over 50K.

I follow a sub on Reddit called r/askcarsales which includes feedback from car salesman that work in the industry and many of the discussions are centered around their clients with modest incomes taking on multiple $500-700 per month car payments and barely having money left over for things like food and utilities. For some reason, that portion of the finance industry isn't under the same debut to income ratio scrutiny as those writing mortgages.

One thing that may be driving this madness is the fact that people are paying window sticker and above for new cars, which is then driving the prices higher on used cars as well. As such, many suddenly see the automobile as an investment.

Next car will be used. RWD Sport Sedan that depreciates like mad the first few years, but that you can also buy with a long CPO warranty. Q50 Red Sports seem ideal.

Last edited by socketz67; 07-19-2023 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-19-2023, 07:44 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts

My guess? The average person has little to no savings and is living paycheck to paycheck, or close to it, and spending a disproportionate share of their income on cars.

Old 07-19-2023, 10:49 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 1,073 Posts
Seriously - how do folks buy cars that are $60K+?
There will never be any shortage of folks "Trying to keep up with the Jones'." Those that will finance themselves so deep...

Just wait. Those bubbles will break. They always do.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 07-20-2023 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-20-2023, 10:46 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Prices of everything has gone kinda mad. I work with multifamily housing; we had to evict someone who's rent was $5,200/month (for nonpayment, natch). I think to even qualify by rule of 1/3 gross income, she had to make more than $250k. There are less than 100 people in Charleston who get a paycheck that high (but quite a few that effectively make that or more on passive income).

This was for a 1 bedroom. Nice view of the river/harbor for sure but... that's 4x my mortgage.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?