G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2023, 10:27 AM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

Received 118 Likes on 92 Posts
The coupes that interest me for a future build are

For challenging track experiences

For track and street (Jackie Ding seems to have enjoyed his in time attack for awhile)

2x2

But for a 4door its definitely a q50 redline sport or a possibly tempermental giulia lol

Old 06-24-2023, 01:10 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDevilsG
My problem with the integra is that i see... more of this
Not quite sure how you think that looks like this...

But I am glad you like the look of the 40th anniversary GTI better because it is way cheaper for me. So the real reason I am posting is because I actually just got to drive the Type S and all I can say is WOW! This car does not disappoint. The Lexus IS 500 F... has an incredible engine and I love the LFA tach, but this car is the complete package. All of the inputs are so precise- steering, braking, shifting, acceleration, etc. Everything just works exactly as you would expect it without being overly harsh on the street. It really does seem like the perfect sport compact daily driver. Did I mention how great it looks in pearl white with the gold wheels just popping with the red brake calipers behind. Chef's kiss

For some reason I cannot seem to shake the IS F 500 Sport Performance. Probably because it was so fun to drive and I discovered that I really like the "grecian water" light blue color and can save a fair amount going with the base model since the Mark Levinson stereo was a disappointment and really the only feature I wanted.

These are the wrong wheels, but they are the right color.

The 40th anniversary GTI is very cool and extremely limited like the other two cars. It is definitely the most bang for the buck, but I honestly think the other cars are actually worth the big jump in price. Thoughts?

Old 06-24-2023, 02:46 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

You made a good choice, the gti is WAY better looking lol. I would have teased about the type s too often, calling it an accord, a tsx, and an ilx .

Its the general shape and and generic front end , the terrible side profile i hate. You have to remember, i was a die hard integra fan. Owned one for 17 years, and through 4 engines, mine never saw a winter and when i sold it in 2015 it didnt have any rust at all. I loved that car!

To me its almost like if the porsche 911 became the porsche suv, no one could ever convince me to not spit in its direction lol. Anyhow enjoy the gti and take lots of cool pics for us! Cool car

That lexus in blue is super nice btw!

So i had a track day this week, those lexus isF are awesome. I know you dont like the older look of them, but they are fast, handle well, brake well, its just a fantastic car. If you ever decide to build another track toy again, id suggest that car for you, you will love absolutely love it.

Last edited by TheDevilsG; 06-24-2023 at 11:25 PM.
Old 06-24-2023, 04:48 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Is @4DRZ not getting the 40th GTI, or is it now a toss up between the iS F and/or Integra S?
Old 06-24-2023, 04:54 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

You made a good choice, the gti is WAY better looking lol. I would have teased about the type s too often, calling it an accord, a tsx, and an ilx .

Its the general shape and and generic front end , the terrible side profile i hate. You have to remember, i was a die hard integra fan. Owned one for 17 years, and through 4 engines, mine never saw a winter and when i sold it in 2015 it didnt have any rust at all. I loved that car!

That lexus in blue is super nice btw!

So i had a track day this week, those lexus isF are awesome. I know you dont like the older look of them, but they are fast, handle well, brake well, its just a fantastic car. If you ever decide to build another track toy again, i suggest that for you, you will love absolutely love it.
I believe there were 5 isF in that session, and 1 is350.
I know "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." Or as we say in Wisconsin, "beauty is in the eye of the beer holder." But I think that Integra looks awesome in person. Have you seen one up close? Then again, if you went through 4 engines in yours, maybe I shouldn't get one. I thought Hondas were supposed to be reliable. Or maybe I will have to get a Type S just so that you make fun of me. That car is seriously good. Unfortunately, it seems seriously expensive to me for an Integra.

I agree that the Lexus in that blue looks amazing. It is the least practical car of the group for me and makes the least sense for me to own. Maybe that's why I am drawn to it. Something different. The IS F definitely looks dated, but not in a bad way. I still think that would be a rad car to own. In fact, I found a really clean low mileage one for sale, but the dealer is asking a boatload for it and it is not in my favorite color. If I bought it and put a decent warranty on it the IS F would only save me about $6,500 over a new IS 500 F Sport Performance. (Why is that name so long??) At that point I would rather get a new one with a full warranty, new tech, features, and styling. I don't think it would make a good track car like the IS F though. At least not without new tires and some brake upgrades.

I think I figured out why I like the white Type S with gold wheels by looking at my mouse pad...

Last edited by 4DRZ; 06-24-2023 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-24-2023, 04:58 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Is @4DRZ not getting the 40th GTI, or is it now a toss up between the iS F and/or Integra S?
I am still planning to get the 40th GTI, but it won't be here until August and the Lexus IS 500 F SP and Acura Integra Type S just became available on my street and they are pretty amazing cars. Tempting, but the GTI will be 95% as fun to drive for me and cost a fraction of the price. If I'm honest, the Leaf with sticky tires is probably 80% as fun to drive as the GTI and it costs significantly less too. The Leaf is really the perfect car for the type of driving I do, but I would like something more fun.

My stupid practical/logical side is going crazy for the GTI, but another part of me just wants the most enjoyable driving experience possible. I think most enthusiasts probably face the same dilemma. Either way, there are so many great cars out there for enthusiasts right now.
Old 06-24-2023, 05:50 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
My stupid practical/logical side is going crazy for the GTI, but another part of me just wants the most enjoyable driving experience possible. I think most enthusiasts probably face the same dilemma. Either way, there are so many great cars out there for enthusiasts right now.
My practical side almost always wins, hence why I’m driving a Golf R and not a M3.

On an unrelated note, we’re on a thousand plus mile road trip with the two kids and dog, and trunk space is certainly tight in the wife’s B9 A4. I’ve been hinting for a bit that the sport back would solve the lack of trunk space, and I finally have my wife getting behind the idea of a S5 to replace the A4 for family duty
Old 06-25-2023, 12:22 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

I think I figured out why I like the white Type S with gold wheels by looking at my mouse pad...

Thats a pretty damn good reason lol

Hondas are reliable, i was young, and dumb, and having too much fun, and engines were cheap through a hookup back then. B18b (integra LS) engines with 30-50k (kms) were costing me 700 (canadian). I was driving like an jackass every day, and all day back then. Oh blew my headgasket and somehow cracked a head? Hmmm repairs vs 700 cad for another B18b, well thats cheap and i get a fresh motor? Yea just give me another and ill drop it in, kk thanks! Lol.
It was a nice feeling that no matter what happened to my engine, 700 bucks canadian and im back on the road and lower kms again lol That car was so cheap to keep going.

Still at a crossroads though? Seems you love the gti, and im sure the lexus was appealing with all that torque but I'd say just picture your snowy days and that will help you decide .
To white knuckle drive in the snow, or to relax and enjoy your coffee on that drive? Lol then again.. You are the track guru, just go get a lotus elise and give the middle finger to logical decision making!

Old 06-26-2023, 11:52 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
Kinda but not really 'next car' - my company replaced my old 2017 Fusion - which was a very nice car for a FWD non-sporty car - with a 2023 Escape and I have to say, I'm not loving it. Engine/transmission is jerky especially when recovering from stop-start. The brakes are janky. The only good things are wireless carplay and smart cruise control. I would not replace my wife's CX5 with this for any amount of money - the CX5 is better all around than the Escape.

OTOH - free car, free gas, ain't gonna complain TOO much.

Saw a track-ready Lotus Elise the other day... man, oh man.
Old 06-26-2023, 11:55 AM
backman_66
Registered Member

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Lol I have a brand new 2022 Escape (got it with 0 miles, it has 2800 now) that my company just gave me, it's even trashier than my two older Escapes I used to have. It runs so rough, vibrates while idling, I think it has an exhaust leak, brakes suck and don't modulate properly, it handles like a TANK (maybe due to AWD) but it's sooo rough riding. It's probably the worst "new" vehicle I have EVER driven in my life. So cheaply made. Don't even get me started on the power delivery. Transmission is clunky and can't decide which gear it wants to be in 90% of the time. Do you want me to keep going?

But that's exactly what I say about it: "It's free, saves on gas and wear n tear on our own vehicles."
Old 06-26-2023, 12:39 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Right there with ya, and the brakes/transmission comment is spot on. I'm debating whether to trade back with the person who has my company Fusion - in almost all things it's a demonstrably better car, but I can't sit in it more than 2 hours. I'm driving to a remote office 4 hours away fairly often these days and that is a HUGE factor, that and the smart cruise.

Need to have a talk with the fleet manager - if they'll pay me mileage for trips >2 hours I'll use my G for those and take the Fusion back.
Old 06-26-2023, 01:35 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Thats a pretty damn good reason lol

Hondas are reliable, i was young, and dumb, and having too much fun, and engines were cheap through a hookup back then. B18b (integra LS) engines with 30-50k (kms) were costing me 700 (canadian). I was driving like an jackass every day, and all day back then. Oh blew my headgasket and somehow cracked a head? Hmmm repairs vs 700 cad for another B18b, well thats cheap and i get a fresh motor? Yea just give me another and ill drop it in, kk thanks! Lol.
It was a nice feeling that no matter what happened to my engine, 700 bucks canadian and im back on the road and lower kms again lol That car was so cheap to keep going.

Still at a crossroads though? Seems you love the gti, and im sure the lexus was appealing with all that torque but I'd say just picture your snowy days and that will help you decide .
To white knuckle drive in the snow, or to relax and enjoy your coffee on that drive? Lol then again.. You are the track guru, just go get a lotus elise and give the middle finger to logical decision making!
That makes more sense about the Honda. Still a little sketchy that you went through 4 motors (!?!), but I get it.

I think the Lexus is out just because it is A/T (and not a good one) and life is short. (Who drinks coffee with a M/T? lol) With the exception of the LFA tach, the interior is the most boring of the 3 cars. I would have fun with the RWD, but FWD or AWD would be a bit easier to get around in the snow.

I am leaning heavily toward the GTI because I think it will be 95% as fun as the Integra Type S for $25-$30k less. The Integra is just so good to drive that I am actually trying to convince myself that it is worth the money. The opposite end of that thought is that the Leaf with sticky tires is probably 85% as much fun to drive around town as the GTI and I am a touch hesitant to daily drive a stick shift with the nerve pain in my left foot and heel not 100% healed.

Originally Posted by rotarymike
Kinda but not really 'next car' - my company replaced my old 2017 Fusion - which was a very nice car for a FWD non-sporty car - with a 2023 Escape and I have to say, I'm not loving it. Engine/transmission is jerky especially when recovering from stop-start. The brakes are janky. The only good things are wireless carplay and smart cruise control. I would not replace my wife's CX5 with this for any amount of money - the CX5 is better all around than the Escape.

OTOH - free car, free gas, ain't gonna complain TOO much.

Saw a track-ready Lotus Elise the other day... man, oh man.
Originally Posted by backman_66
Lol I have a brand new 2022 Escape (got it with 0 miles, it has 2800 now) that my company just gave me, it's even trashier than my two older Escapes I used to have. It runs so rough, vibrates while idling, I think it has an exhaust leak, brakes suck and don't modulate properly, it handles like a TANK (maybe due to AWD) but it's sooo rough riding. It's probably the worst "new" vehicle I have EVER driven in my life. So cheaply made. Don't even get me started on the power delivery. Transmission is clunky and can't decide which gear it wants to be in 90% of the time. Do you want me to keep going?

But that's exactly what I say about it: "It's free, saves on gas and wear n tear on our own vehicles."
This is kind of why I am a touch hesitant to get rid of the Leaf. It was so cheap to get and there is no gas and virtually no maintenance.
Old 06-26-2023, 01:53 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
This is kind of why I am a touch hesitant to get rid of the Leaf. It was so cheap to get and there is no gas and virtually no maintenance.
Is somebody forcing you to only have two cars?

If I were in your position, I'd keep the Leaf that you love owning and driving, and look for an older hobby car. This instead of one brand new (expensive) car that tries to be all things all the time.

Granted, that VW probably succeeds quite well at being all things.
The following users liked this post:
TheDevilsG (06-26-2023)
Old 06-26-2023, 02:05 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Despite my cooking hero Alton Brown's distaste for unitaskers, the only car that I've had that was a true multitasker was a 1996 Jeep Cherokee. It was a Swiss Army knife - not great at anything, but competent at most things.

The rest of my cars have all been unitaskers - even the wife's CX5 which is the kinder-hauler. Don't be afraid of having more than one car - a generic transportation appliance and something that makes you smile. Having only 1 means you'll always be compromised in some way.
ILM-NC G37S (06-26-2023)
Old 06-26-2023, 03:08 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

(Who drinks coffee with a M/T? lol)

One of the great things about having cup holders...

Originally Posted by Rochester
Is somebody forcing you to only have two cars?

If I were in your position, I'd keep the Leaf that you love owning and driving, and look for an older hobby car. This instead of one brand new (expensive) car that tries to be all things all the time.

Granted, that VW probably succeeds quite well at being all things.
This would seem to be the ultimate solution. Leaf for daily commuting, hobby car for back road shenanigans or track days. How much does a Lotus Elise go for??
TheDevilsG (06-26-2023)

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?