G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2023, 05:15 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

Received 118 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I'll try not to bore you guys with too much VW content. I'm sure Lego will be excited though. It seems weird that this is my first VW. I don't know that I will do too many mods with the GTI. But you guys know me- I'll keep driving other interesting cars.
No seriously, your posts and reviews on different cars are interesting. I look forward to the golfs review. My old roomie growing up had a red corrado vr6, and as much as I've never been a vdub guy, i quite liked that car. I also totally dig that gti you are buying
The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (06-20-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 05:41 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDevilsG
Id like to start a poll now. How long until he tracks the car he bought to not track

My guess is by summers end 2024, that lil red car goes screaming down the track!
C'mon on now! I honestly don't think it would make a very good track car.

No seriously, your posts and reviews on different cars are interesting. I look forward to the golfs review. My old roomie growing up had a red corrado vr6, and as much as I've never been a vdub guy, i quite liked that car. I also totally dig that gti you are buying
Thanks man! The Corrado was a cool car. My dad had a '97 GTI with the VR6 and that thing was awesome!
TheDevilsG (06-20-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 07:47 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Welcome to the dark side @4DRZ

I’m sure you’ll enjoy your new car. The MQB is a fantastic platform. I’m almost 5 years in and still love my R
4DRZ (06-20-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 07:52 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Five years already? Holy crap, feels like it was just yesterday.
Old 06-20-2023, 08:07 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Five years already? Holy crap, feels like it was just yesterday.
Yeah it does.

I still miss my G. It was a special car. Wish I had it in a world where I worked from home and barely hit 3k a year. Instead I have the R, and am pretty happy with that
Old 06-20-2023, 08:09 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

The 2023 R with the dct does 0-60 in 4.3 apparently, stock!
S$@#, golf's ain't playin' anymore lol
Old 06-20-2023, 09:23 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Welcome to the dark side @4DRZ

I’m sure you’ll enjoy your new car. The MQB is a fantastic platform. I’m almost 5 years in and still love my R
5 years? Well, that went fast.
Old 06-21-2023, 06:29 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
The 2023 R with the dct does 0-60 in 4.3 apparently, stock!
S$@#, golf's ain't playin' anymore lol
Wow! That's nuts. What does the 6MT do?
Old 06-21-2023, 11:17 AM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Wow! That's nuts. What does the 6MT do?
5.3, but that dct time is nuts for a stock 4 door hatch. I think the dct R is cheaper than the civic type R as well?!! The Honda doesn't seem like a decent option compared to vw anymore, especiallly since the golfs actually look better, on top of being faster, AND cheaper. Well i learned something new this week thanks to this forum lol

I do still love my G though, she's not going anywhere!
Old 06-22-2023, 04:29 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

5.3, but that dct time is nuts for a stock 4 door hatch. I think the dct R is cheaper than the civic type R as well?!! The Honda doesn't seem like a decent option compared to vw anymore, especiallly since the golfs actually look better, on top of being faster, AND cheaper. Well i learned something new this week thanks to this forum lol

I do still love my G though, she's not going anywhere!
I didn't realize the 0-60 time for the Golf R DSG is the same time as the Audi S3. Not a bad option if you prefer the sedan design and both cars can easily be tuned to over 450 hp just by switching to E85!?! The S3 does give up the torque vectoring rear differential for ultimate handling and is not available with a 6spd. But the Bang and Olufson stereo in the S3 is significantly better, you can get an exhaust resonator so it sounds better, and it also adds a number of other features. It does cost more, but for me it is actually cheaper than the Golf R with my employee discount since the Golf R (and Audi RS3) do not qualify. It would probably be the car I would get if I could not drive stick shift.

Speaking of fast cars, I got to ride (not drive) in our first Acura Integra Type S yesterday. What a car! It is expensive, but it is definitely worth the $16k over a regular Integra. It is just a completely different animal. My only gripe is the rough ride on bumpy roads. On regular roads it is ok and it might be worth the sacrifice just for that absolutely direct connection to the road and organic feel of the car. It felt like a race car with the rough edges polished so it could work as a daily driver, if that makes sense. I think that is a tough feeling to attain in a street car and I totally love it. I don't think I have felt that since I got done tuning my G37. The STI Type RA took it one click too far on the dial of "race car mode" to be a good daily driver. The Type S just felt so connected to the road and the responses from the steering and shifting seemed extremely precise without being too much. That is a really fine line to straddle and Acura completely nailed it.

The Type S is an absolute looker too. I don't think there is a bad angle on this entire car. It just looks so purposeful, sporty, and aggressive. It looks very mature for the astonishing amount of performance capability that lies beneath. The inside looks very nice too. However, the one I rode in had the red accents and they just didn't look right to me. At least the seats had suede-ish inserts to keep you planted in corners and cooler in the summer as well as warmer in the winter. The only thing I think they changed from the Civic Type R interior that is not an improvement is the vent in the dash that is continuous in the Civic. It looks ok in the Acura, but I think it looks more cohesive in the Type R.

Ok so we better address the elephant in the room and compare it to the Civic Type R, because the Acura Integra Type S is a whopping $8,000 more and $16,000 more than a 6 sped Integra that is not a Type S. First off, yes I think the Type S is actually worth the money over a regular Integra. It is just a completely different animal. Initially, I was also thinking the Acura was worth the extra money over the Civic Type R because I knew the stereo was better, it had more features, and it is a bit more of a sleeper in the styling department. But now that I think more about it, I'm not so sure. If the Civic's ride was not too much bumpier than the Acura, it might be the way to go. Especially since the Bose stereo in the Type R is still pretty good. The Civic seats might be a bit tiresome getting into and out of every day, but once you get in they are like a warm hug. Just great seats in that car! I think the Acura would also benefit from the F1 type shift lights in the Honda.

Last edited by 4DRZ; 06-22-2023 at 04:50 PM.
Lego_Maniac (06-22-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 09:32 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Maybe it’s the pics, but I like the red/black. And agree, I love the looks.

The S has definitely grown on me after watching reviews, and I like the better stereo, more cohesive interior colors, heated/power seats, etc. but the Golf R has all of that, plus ventilated seats, driver memory and a rear HVAC zone, and it seats 3 in the back. The S is a decent step up in money for something seemingly billed as less track more street car. I think the R strikes a better balance, and it’ll probably be the quicker street car in the stoplight Grand Prix.
Old 06-23-2023, 10:56 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Maybe it’s the pics, but I like the red/black. And agree, I love the looks.

The S has definitely grown on me after watching reviews, and I like the better stereo, more cohesive interior colors, heated/power seats, etc. but the Golf R has all of that, plus ventilated seats, driver memory and a rear HVAC zone, and it seats 3 in the back. The S is a decent step up in money for something seemingly billed as less track more street car. I think the R strikes a better balance, and it’ll probably be the quicker street car in the stoplight Grand Prix.
I think you are right about the pics. In person, the red looks more maroon and not as bright red as it looks in the pics. Strange. The one consistency with the pics is that the red hides the nice red stitching you see when the interior is black. (I think this car in black on black would look amazing with all the red accents.) The red seat accents also kind of highlight the fact that the suede looks to be of a much higher quality than the "leather." The leather looks more like vinyl to me. I was kind of digging the white inserts on the Type S after trying to talk myself into the much more white Lexus IS 500 seats, until one review said it looked like an orca whale. Now I cannot unsee it. Man, I still have thoughts about that Lexus. The engine was just so good in that car.

The Golf R is definitely the more well rounded car with AWD and a much lower lift over height for the hatch. I think the stick shift version would be close to the Type S in a "stoplight grand prix," but the DSC should walk the Type S (or either Golf R with a tune.) However, the Type S will probably decimate the Golf R on track. Practicality-wise the Golf R wins hands down. But if you are looking for sportier styling, more refinement, actual buttons, a better shifter, better brakes, much better wheels and tires, and an overall better driving experience, then the Type S takes it by a landslide. The Type S is definitely more expensive, but in this instance you most certainly get what you pay for.
Old 06-24-2023, 01:13 AM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

My problem with the integra is that i see less of this

And more of this

Ilx

Ilx

Tlx

Tlx (hell we could throw in the new accord possibly)

Did we need to make a faster one of those, named an integra, or could we have just added a wider stance to one of them, dropped in the powerplant and drivetrain, and call it a tlx or ilx or accord type R / type S?

I dont know why, but i cant get over that? and it just wont let me see the car for what it is . It kind of sucks that my brain wont let me judge that car fairly, but i just cant. I hate it with a passion lol.
I also dont find any of them appealing tbh, kind of bulky/big nose shapes, with a mild short wagon instead of hatch shape.

The golf gti and R on the other hand look sharp, and appealing. Also feel like the 4 door g37, the later q50 are just way better looking sedans as well, GUILIA TOO , yah i said it! They have style, nicer lines.

I was so excited for the launch of the integra, so when my eyes saw this

It was over. Type r, type s, nothing could save it for me lol.

Old 06-24-2023, 01:27 AM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

Stock or modded, the Q just is way nicer i feel.

it just has more "swagger"

Damn, i think i just sold myself on a q50 redline sport for next car after my g37 coupe days are done. Bloody hell, did i just make a practical and responsible vehicle choice? ****..
Old 06-24-2023, 09:57 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 1,072 Posts
My problem with the integra is that i see less of this

And more of this

I dont know why, but i cant get over that? and it just wont let me see the car for what it is . It kind of sucks that my brain wont let me judge that car fairly, but i just cant. I hate it with a passion lol.
I also dont find any of them appealing tbh, kind of bulky/big nose shapes, with a mild short wagon instead of hatch shape.
Trust me, you are not alone in that assessment. I left Honda long ago for, in my opinion, was a lack of creativity and direction.

It almost seems as if it becoming taboo for cars to have 2-doors anymore.

Stock or modded, the Q just is way nicer i feel.

it just has more "swagger"

Bloody hell, did i just make a practical and responsible vehicle choice? ****..
It is bound to happen eventually. But I'm sure your Coupe days are far from being over just yet. Mine will never be.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?