G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2023, 12:26 PM
backman_66
Registered Member

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
I'm not impressed with what I've seen from the new Z after reading reviews online. Seems like you'd have to spend a moderate amount of money to make the car enjoyable (soft suspension, and what's up with it's traction control?)
Old 02-27-2023, 01:07 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 239 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by backman_66
I'm not impressed with what I've seen from the new Z after reading reviews online. Seems like you'd have to spend a moderate amount of money to make the car enjoyable (soft suspension, and what's up with it's traction control?)
In stock form it's nothing to write home about, but look at the dyno's specifically the torque numbers with like 3 bolt ons. The fact that you are here tells me you have a G or Z and you want to talk about unimpressive numbers for mods....

And people complain about the chassis being basically reused, but the way I see that is as a plus. There are already loads of mods out there because they just plug and play from the previous chassis.

As far as the soft suspension, it's targeting two audiences at once with that, the typical casual buyer, but also the people who would just replace it with aftermarket parts anyway. At least that's how I think they designed it, and they even alluded to the cheaper variant being for the people who just plan on replacing everything. If you want a stiff ride, I'd wait for the Nismo version.
The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (02-27-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 01:13 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Wasn't the last Nismo Z only a 20 hp bump also?
Exhaust + ECU tuning. 2015+ received 3.90 gear also.

Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom
I have a few mods left for my G but after that I will be saving for the new Z. I like the idea of a bolt on turn key car that I won't fiddle with too much to go well with a project car.
Famous last words, amirite? Much easier to go down the rabbit hole with a FI platform.

If it truly is 20hp again it's hard for me to understand why they would got through all the EPA certification for only a 20hp gain. But then again, the power is not really the problem as it has more than enough to outpace the chassis & suspension.

Originally Posted by backman_66
I don't think you should have been impressed. Old chassis + new engine. No fancy suspension or rear diff, no advance traction control system. For the Nismo to really set itself apart it will need to have some serious suspension/chassis/rear differential improvements.
Old 02-27-2023, 01:21 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
I am just as interested in Japanese car culture as I am Japanese cars. There straight forward no F's given approach to modding is something I wish Americans would do more often. I like clean cars as much as you guys do, believe me, but I also respect efficient and functional without the need to always look clean. I was a pretty big player in the A70 Supra scene, despite never finishing a single build. I spent hours up at night sifting through Japanese websites before it was easy to translate them, ordered countless items from yahoo auctions Japan, and reached out to many companies that didn't ship internationally to try and snag rare or hard to get items. This means I was exposed to a large amount of wild ways that Japanese modded cars. There was something special how inclusive and extreme you could be in Japan and not judged for it. In America there is much more machoness, strictness, and judgement. I myself was guilty of it at one point in time, but now I am as relaxed as ever. I just love cars, and I respect anyone who is passionate about them.

Anyway, I'm just trying to explain why things like that don't bother me. My favorite channel on youtube is probably noriyaro, an Australian who has been living in Japan apart of their car culture for a long time. Also I love car themes, so when I mention period correct mods, that's something you often see at car shows in Japan. Those mods I've literally seen on old school MK3 Supra's so it's quite fitting that you'd find them on an old Subaru as well.
I know what you mean about crazy Japanese builds. I didn't mean the car was bad, it's just not my style. I hear you on researching for hours on end trying to find rare parts for Japanese cars too. My first Subaru was a 1998 2.5RS when Nasioc and the internet were just forming. That car had zero aftermarket support. Your only options were Japan, Australia, and Prodive and it took forever to get answers and parts. Then the WRX comes out in 2002 and it is like the Civic x 1,000. Parts everywhere!
SupraOfDoom (02-27-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 06:21 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
In stock form it's nothing to write home about, but look at the dyno's specifically the torque numbers with like 3 bolt ons. The fact that you are here tells me you have a G or Z and you want to talk about unimpressive numbers for mods....

And people complain about the chassis being basically reused, but the way I see that is as a plus. There are already loads of mods out there because they just plug and play from the previous chassis.

As far as the soft suspension, it's targeting two audiences at once with that, the typical casual buyer, but also the people who would just replace it with aftermarket parts anyway. At least that's how I think they designed it, and they even alluded to the cheaper variant being for the people who just plan on replacing everything. If you want a stiff ride, I'd wait for the Nismo version.
Agree with a lot of that. But the elephant in the room would seem to be the Supra--which is a little bit more of the total package.
Old 02-27-2023, 06:35 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 239 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Agree with a lot of that. But the elephant in the room would seem to be the Supra--which is a little bit more of the total package.
The Supra has a lot going for it, the engine can handle more power, and now that it has stick shift it's easily the sportier of the two. But I think the looks are odd, the Toyota BMW mashup is odd, and you can't even have your windows down without it sounding like you're in an airplane with the cargo hatch open. I've had 7 Supra's, and besides it checking the most absolute basic check boxes (RWD, Inline Six) it barely resembles any of them. The Z on the other hand has classic looks written all over it. Also I personally think the Z looks better stock and modded. On paper the Supra is better, I'd agree to that.

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?-kw4vawb.jpg
What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?-zaz8dnw.jpg
What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?-eloyjx9.jpg
The following 2 users liked this post by SupraOfDoom:
2GoRNot2G (03-03-2023), rotarymike (02-28-2023)
Old 03-02-2023, 05:08 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
The wife and I went to the annual Rochester Auto Show today. Some quick impressions of cars I got to sit in...

I love the Ford Maverick. It's the sweet spot between car & truck, neither ostentatious nor cheap, not too small or too big, super practical and a really good value. Loved it.

The new Teg (Acura Integra 6MT) is actually very appealing, like an upscale Civic. No kidding, right? Kind of small and cramped inside, though. Whereas the Civic felt more roomy. Go figure.

The Acura TLX just oozes upscale sport sedan in every possible way. Owning a TLX would be very rewarding indeed.

The 2023 Alfa Gulia and Stelvio continue to be gorgeous, particularly in this amazing gold paint. Wow!

Turns out I like the KIA EV6. It's so weird, but in person I actually really dig this car.

There was a Caddy CT4 Blackwing "Watkins Glen Edition", apparently one of 90 made. It was fcking awful, inside and out. Performance specs aside, this is one seriously ugly car, with an interior badly beaten with a pimp cane (typical caddy). Didn't think I'd have such a visceral dislike for the Blackwing, but there it is. Never would I ever.

The Ford Mach-e GT was kind of appealing on the outside, but painfully cheap on the inside. Hard pass.

The Mazda CX-50 felt like a cave. I think I prefer the old CX-5.

The VW ID.4 was an EV crossover that both my wife and I really liked. It just looked and felt "right", whatever right is. I know the reviews are ho hum, but for a grocery getter EV, I think this is a strong contender.

Subaru has a "Wilderness Edition" Forester, which suits that car much better than their stupid orange piped "Forester Sport". Pretty sure if forced to snag a new car right away, the wife would want another Forester.

The new Subaru EV, the Solterra, was seriously ugly. Way-y-y too much plastic cladding, and a cheap, overdesigned interior. Hard pass.

And the car I could only look at behind ropes... a Mustang Black Horse. Holy crap, this was the most menacing mustang I've ever seen!

No Nissan Z... made me sad. No Teslas... thank god.
SupraOfDoom (03-02-2023)
Old 03-02-2023, 07:08 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
Hope you took pics…
ILM-NC G37S (03-02-2023)
Old 03-02-2023, 08:00 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by rotarymike
Hope you took pics…
Nah, it was just a car show. No big deal.
Old 03-03-2023, 11:39 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,318 Likes on 1,069 Posts
The 2023 Alfa Gulia and Stelvio continue to be gorgeous, particularly in this amazing gold paint. Wow!
@Rochester
Alfa's reputation aside, what are your thoughts after viewing the new (golden-coloured) Giulia? I saw the press release and it grabbed my attention, but, alas, Alfa dropped their plans for a Giulia Coupe (dammit) so count me out. But I'd appreciate your opinion nonetheless.
No Teslas... thank god.
Amen.
Old 03-03-2023, 12:02 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Alfa's reputation aside, what are your thoughts after viewing the new (golden-coloured) Giulia? I saw the press release and it grabbed my attention, but, alas, Alfa dropped their plans for a Giulia Coupe (dammit) so count me out. But I'd appreciate your opinion nonetheless.
When Alfa came back to town with the 4C, the Giulia and the Stelvio... my first impressions of all three were not positive ones, and I remember being somewhat vocal about it. But after a few years, something about the designs started to win me over, and I don't know why. There was a point (5 years ago?) when I thought about giving up the G for a Porsche Mecan, or maybe the Alfa Stelvio. So I test drove both, and I really, really liked the Stelvio. (Conversely, I really didn't like the Porsche.) My only complaints about the Alfa were transmission hic-cups on the test drive, and too much cheap materials in an otherwise excellent interior. Same for the Giulia as the Stelvio, their interiors were one in the same. So were their powertrains.

Anyway, years went by, plans changed, and the Infiniti remains... barely driven, which kind of squashes "next car" planning. That and two kids in college.

Yesterday the Stelvio and Giulia were both at the show, and both in this same freaking gorgeous gold paint. OMG, it was painfully beautiful. Sitting in these vehicles, I'm reminded of the excellent interior design, but this time without the detractions of cheap plastics and too many hard surfaces. It was rewarding without too much bling.

When you sit in the Acura TLX, the feeling that washes over you is a sense of empowerment.
When you sit in an Alfa, the feeling that washes over you is, "I want to drive."
When you sit in a Cadillac, you just feel like you need to get it over with and brush your teeth.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-03-2023 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-03-2023, 12:07 PM
Rochester
Administrator

On a side note, there was no Alfa Tonale at the show. However there was a Dodge Hornet GT. And let me tell you, that Hornet looked so-o-o stupid up close and in person.
Old 03-03-2023, 12:32 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,318 Likes on 1,069 Posts
Italian cars were always “works of art” at the sacrifice of reliability and mechanical nightmares. Way back in the day, we had a slew of Fiats and a few Alfas, fun to drive- all when they actually ran- but nice to look at whether they ran or not, lol.

Might have to plan a road trip to see the Alfa up close.
Old 03-04-2023, 01:46 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Rochester, I go to the Milwaukee Auto Show tomorrow on its last day so it sounds like they run about the same time yearly as your auto show. I'm excited because it has been an annual tradition I started with my dad for my birthday (March 2) when I was a little kid. Trips to the Milwaukee Auto Show and Road America race track from a very young age with my father are probably a big reason I am such a car nut. Unfortunately, my dad passed away from a heart attack 12 years ago, but I have been going with my best friend from college for many more years. It's been a running joke that we can predict the weather based on when the car show is because there is usually a huge snow storm when we go. This year does not look too bad though. Anyway, I am also really looking forward to seeing all the new cars.

I am glad to hear that you like Acura Integra. The Type S seems to be at the top of my list of potential future cars that are at least a year or two away.

My company's Honda store just got in their first Type R. I am on the list to get one, but I think I may take my name off the list after seeing it in person. I think I just realized that I am getting old. Initially, I was a little skeptical of the way the bright red seats looked and the fact I would have to wash it by hand instead of take it through our free car wash at work due to the large spoiler. After seeing it in person the seats don't look bad, but I hate the tall skinny side bolsters that remind me of my '02 WRX. If you are not careful, you can easily graze your nether region getting in and out which is quite painful. I also hate the blue color. Whoever thought a very light shade of bright blue looked good with bright red seats and black wheels is obviously much younger than me. "Hey kid, get off my lawn!" It is just way too "boy racer" for this newly minted 44 year old to drive- at least in blue. Maybe it will look a bit more grown up in black... maybe. So here is to hoping the new Integra Type S is a little more grown up looking and the seats are a little easier to get in and out of compared to the Type R.

Old 03-04-2023, 02:50 PM
BillyTheMan
Registered Member

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
Been looking at c5 and c6 vettes a lot lately. Theres quite a few c5s for under $15k and a few c6s under $20k. Next performance car will definitely be one of the two. Test drove a c5 a few weeks before i got my g, very different than other stuff i drive, i liked it a lot. Couldn't make a deal on the price and i Decided i didn't want another tire burner while i still have my charger.
4DRZ (03-06-2023)

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?