G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2023, 10:48 AM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by BoomerSpeed01
If the tires were that worn, why wouldn't they just put new tires on so it's fair...? Someone I work with just got the Elantra N and he loves it.
They do the test on the tires delivered by the manufacturer.
Old 02-10-2023, 11:51 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
I follow C&D daily. Love that website.

Could you just imagine being a part of the crew putting that event together? Lucky bastards.
Old 02-10-2023, 02:59 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by BoomerSpeed01
If the tires were that worn, why wouldn't they just put new tires on so it's fair...? Someone I work with just got the Elantra N and he loves it.
They said in the article that they ordered new tires for the car, but they did not arrive in time. I guess they will be bringing that car back next year. Wouldn't it be funny if it was still slower than the Kona N?

Originally Posted by Rochester
I follow C&D daily. Love that website.

Could you just imagine being a part of the crew putting that event together? Lucky bastards.
Agreed. My best friend from college is also a big gear head and we have been talking about doing one of Road & Track's week long events like this. I know you can sign on for their performance car of the year event. I thought I saw something about participating in a track day at VIR with the Car & Driver guys, but I don't recall if it was part of Lightning Lap or not. Either way, that sounds like a fun track.
Old 02-11-2023, 09:33 PM
faiz23
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Rivian R1S
Old 02-12-2023, 12:08 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by faiz23
Rivian R1S
Those things are crazy fast and surprisingly nice inside.
The following users liked this post:
faiz23 (02-12-2023)
Old 02-12-2023, 12:16 PM
faiz23
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Those things are crazy fast and surprisingly nice inside.

100% facts.

I was able to finally test drive the R1S yesterday and it was impressive. I've had an order in place since middle of 2021 at the pre-order pricing which is 20% lower than current pricing and comes with a bunch of free upgrades / freemium options. Delivery is towards the end of 2023 which gives me plenty of time to save up a huge down payment.

The tax credit of $7,500 if you keep it under $80,000 helps to seal the deal.

Try to go to a dealership and test drive the truck or SUV to see if you could picture yourself buying / driving / owning one.

The future R2 models will be equally as impressive and help to gain market share at the lower price points.

I am excited about a sedan or a coupe with quad motor if they ever decide to make one.
Old 02-12-2023, 04:16 PM
BillyTheMan
Registered Member

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
A buddy of mine got a ride from a guy at work in one of the rivian trucks, he said it was stupid fast, this coming from a guy who has a 600 whp quarter mile car.
Old 02-12-2023, 04:24 PM
BillyTheMan
Registered Member

I've been looking at suvs too because of the snow around here in the winter. Awd g does ok but ground clearance is an issue and i always wanted an off road rig just because. I like the FJ cruisers, had one for my first car. Traded in for my first g37 because living at home with my mom and sister there wasn't room for another car or i would have got the Infiniti and kept the FJ cruiser. I'm not really a ford guy but i really like them v10 excursions.
Old 02-12-2023, 10:06 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyTheMan
I've been looking at suvs too because of the snow around here in the winter. Awd g does ok but ground clearance is an issue and i always wanted an off road rig just because. I like the FJ cruisers, had one for my first car. Traded in for my first g37 because living at home with my mom and sister there wasn't room for another car or i would have got the Infiniti and kept the FJ cruiser. I'm not really a ford guy but i really like them v10 excursions.
Lexus GX.
Old 02-13-2023, 05:08 AM
BillyTheMan
Registered Member

Not a fan of the appearance of the lexus suvs, they seem too plain to me from the outside. Though I've heard good things about them for the most part.
Old 02-16-2023, 02:08 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

What do you guys think about the new Civic Type R and upcoming Integra Type S that will use the same engine? I really prefer the new more subdued styling of the new Type R over the last generation. It is still a bit boy racer with the wing and bright red seats. However, I read a lot of reviews of this car and they are all overwhelming positive about how good the car is to drive. It keeps getting compared to different Porsches. It is also amazingly quick around a track if I ever decide to get back to that. The real reason I don't like the wing is that I am pretty sure it would get ripped off in our free car wash at work.

That got me thinking about the Integra Type S when it debuts this summer as it will probably not have a big wing and bright red seats. Both cars seem to tick all the right boxes for me- sensational handling, decent (non-bone crushing) ride, excellent brakes, good Bose stereo, hatch versatility for hauling the mountain bike, 4 door so my daughter can climb in back, good mpg, supposedly a transmission just this side of heaven, etc, etc. If I chose a Type R over a Type S I think I would go for black or red. Thoughts? And don't worry about dealer mark ups- we don't do that in my company (thankfully!), but I am sure I would have to wait a while.

Old 02-16-2023, 02:26 PM
backman_66
Registered Member

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
New CTR looks so much better than previous gen, to the point where I'd consider it too. I do come from a Honda/Acura background (owned an Integra GS-R, S2000, and RSX-S) so I will always be passionate about them. Just not as much with the newer models, unfortunately, and the standard new Integra is just a waste of time. I'll have to check out any updates about a Type S model since I haven't seen anything about it yet.
4DRZ (02-17-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 02:46 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
That new Civic is nice, but the Teg is certainly the more mature looking vehicle. FWIW

Based on nothing except armchair reviews and my own experiences (which doesn't include either new car), I think both are really good cars, but neither are exceptional.
Old 02-16-2023, 02:51 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by backman_66
New CTR looks so much better than previous gen, to the point where I'd consider it too. I do come from a Honda/Acura background (owned an Integra GS-R, S2000, and RSX-S) so I will always be passionate about them. Just not as much with the newer models, unfortunately, and the standard new Integra is just a waste of time. I'll have to check out any updates about a Type S model since I haven't seen anything about it yet.
I always thought Honda made some good cars, but I never liked them enough to own one until now. So they must be doing something right. lol I drove the last gen Type R and I was not impressed at all. From the overdone exterior styling to the cheap looking interior it just didn't work for me. If memory serves me right, that one also had some cheaper tires on it which also affected the performance. This new one sounds like the real deal though. Apparently, the Integra Type S is based on this car so if they do it right I would go that route. Apparently I am #2 on the waiting list for an Integra, but still waiting to hear how long the CTR list is...

Originally Posted by Rochester
That new Civic is nice, but the Teg is certainly the more mature looking vehicle. FWIW

Based on nothing except armchair reviews and my own experiences (which doesn't include either new car), I think both are really good cars, but neither are exceptional.
I agree on the styling. The Integra Type S might be the sweet spot for me if they don't dull the Type R's responses too much. Or maybe I could get away with a black Type R with tinted windows to somewhat hide the fire engine red seats. I think the red looks cool, but maybe a bit too loud for me on this one.

The reviews are pretty exceptional for the Type R in terms of how it drives (one of my most important criteria), but also surprisingly of the car in general. In fact, it may be the first car where I have read something like 20 different reviews and I honestly cannot remember a bad word written about the car. This even includes the reviews across the pond in Europe who tend to be a bit more particular with their performance car reviews.

The more I think about it the more I think it would be between one of these cars and an Audi S4. The Audi could definitely be faster in a straight line and more luxurious, but I would have to give up the stick shift and I think a bit in the handling dept. Then again, I am sitting here currently with a torn disc in my back and another disc bulging out of my spine to the point that the last days of driving my STI Type RA were pretty painful trying to engage the clutch. Ironically, the Leaf showed up the same day I slipped on the ice at work and got injured and has been the perfect car for that commute (no clutch to engage and a much smoother ride).

Last edited by 4DRZ; 02-16-2023 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
I think the new CTR looks worlds better than the prior generation--especially in black, as it looks even more subdued, and helps to minimize the spoiler. I could actually live with the red seats, it's the red carpeting and black rear seats that just make it overdone and mismatched. I didn't know there was going to be an Integra Type R, but that should hopefully solve the looks issue even further. If my R got hit by a bus tomorrow, the CTR and ITR would be pretty high on my replacement list.

Speaking of red interiors, if you're looking S4, have you seen the magma red leather? Definitely recommend looking at the S5 for the hatchback versatility. 21.8 vs 12 cubic feet is a HUGE difference. We rock a A4 for our 'family car' and vacations are doable, but packing is a game of Tetris. I'd love to have the extra capacity of the sportback.
4DRZ (02-17-2023)

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?