G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2022, 08:15 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by BoomerSpeed01
Well, my official replacement is a 2013 Dodge Charger Pursuit with a 5.7 Hemi. As mentioned, I needed a car that could hold 3 car seats, and the charger is on the short list of sedans that can do so legally.
I'll be staying one the forum for a little bit, as I plan to have another G37 Coupe in the not-too-distant future. Although by the time I can afford 2 cars, I might opt out for a mustang or an Audi S5/RS5. We will see how addicted I get to V8's lol
In the meantime, if any of you know someone looking for a G37x Sedan in very good condition for about $10k, mine is for sale. I truly wish I could afford 2 cars so I could keep it, but we just can't right now.
Charger Pursuit? Is that like a decommissioned police/fleet car?
Old 12-14-2022, 12:59 PM
HMG37
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I still have my G and I picked up a 2018 White/Red Trackhawk last year. Trackhawk is full 93 bolt-ons right now with about 880HP and a new 422 stroker is being built. Come May 2022, Hawk should be at ~1050 crank with the new setup. The G is continuing to do it's job as a great daily at now 10 years old!!
The following users liked this post:
abrecos (12-19-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 10:32 AM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Charger Pursuit? Is that like a decommissioned police/fleet car?
Exactly. Dodge manufactured Chargers specifically for the use of law enforcement. It was my cheapest way into a V8, plus I needed the room for a 3rd car seat as I've mentioned.
Most of them are bare bone, minimal upgrades. Like the one I have doesn't even have the U-connect, no heated seats or steering wheel nor a backup camera. It does have power seats, a USB plug for audio (just like G37's) and what they call "auto-stick" for controlling what gear you're in. Doesn't have rev-match but that ok. Being a 5 speed, it's not always trying to find the right gear like auto G's do. I'm really liking it so far. Not sure if I shared a pic of it on here yet, so here it is:

The following 2 users liked this post by BoomerSpeed01:
abrecos (12-19-2022), Lego_Maniac (12-19-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 11:42 AM
BillyTheMan
Registered Member

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
Does your charger have awd? A few pursuits did. I hardly use the auto stick on my srt8, it will still shift itself anyway if you try to redline it. I'd get some comp cams lifters when you have the money, mine went out around 130k miles. 5.7 might be easier on them than the 6.1 though.
Old 12-19-2022, 02:14 PM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BillyTheMan
Does your charger have awd? A few pursuits did. I hardly use the auto stick on my srt8, it will still shift itself anyway if you try to redline it. I'd get some comp cams lifters when you have the money, mine went out around 130k miles. 5.7 might be easier on them than the 6.1 though.
No, it's RWD. If I remember right, the AWD didn't start until 2014..? And I shouldn't have to worry about the cam/lifters/valves for a while. It has just over 139k and those were all serviced at 138k while diagnosing a misfire caused by a leaky valve.
The thing runs like a champ. Going from my G to the Charger, I was thrown back in my seat more than I expected. For the longest time I wasn't really wanting to get an R/T or 5.7L since it only had 40hp more than the G37, but now I realize the torque is what makes the real difference. Going from 270lb-ft in the G to 395lb-ft in the Charger is a HUGE difference lol I also plan to get the mids and rear mufflers/resonators removed and have a couple Flowmaster FlowFX bullet mufflers put in where the mids were. From what I've found on Youtube, that's the sound I want from the exhaust. Get to hear the sound of the Hemi, but not being obnoxiously loud and raspy.
abrecos (12-19-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 09:01 PM
BillyTheMan
Registered Member

Awd started in around the time the charger came out in 06, not 100% sure if the 5.7 got awd the first year or not. I honestly enjoy running the g37 on the street more. I can use the power more with awd vs spinning in the charger. I got my charger all gutted and stripped for racing too so not as many creature comforts anymore.
Old 12-20-2022, 09:40 AM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

For the normal civilian chargers, maybe. But I do believe 2014 was the first year for the 5.7 Pursuits to get AWD. I just remember reading that somewhere while doing research before making the purchase, if that's incorrect, I blame the source lol
I'd imagine yours having the 6.1 and SRT factory tuning would have considerably more torque, explaining your preference to the G on the street due to wheelspin in the charger.
As for the charger I got having a 5.7, yes it can spin the tires if you're not careful, but I find myself having to try and do it on purpose in order for it to happen. Although I have not found myself in a race yet so I haven't gotten a WOT launch from a dig yet. If anything I usually get to a slow roll before laying into it which it just grabs and goes at that point.
I can feel that it's still a very good engine, as it's power delivery is smooth and strong. No lack in torque AT ALL, which is a 180 flip from the G. At least for the one I have/had, there was no considerable power at all to speak of under 3k rpm.
Plus when I have the chance to do it, the exhaust is going to sound way better than my G ever could. But I've always preferred the sound of a V8 anyway.
Old 12-20-2022, 11:52 AM
BillyTheMan
Registered Member

Vq is definitely not for torque, sometimes I think though that my g pulls harder probably because there's no way other than drag radials I can floor it without spinning doing anything below 40. I personally like the sound of thr vq, if done right (not a muffler delete or sawed off) it has an exotic sound in my opinion. I love my v8 sound too though, charger is full straight pipe. 6.1 has oem shorty headers which actually flow pretty well but I plan on long tubes at some point. The pursuit already has pretty good oem suspension compared the rt and I think it's pretty similar to the srt, I have Hotchkis springs and bilstein shocks which is a really good street set up in my opinion especially considering the price of coilovers. People knock the charger for being so big but I've found the wide stance helps with cornering. They are heavy though. My go to for aftermarket parts is high horse performance, they specialize in hemis and Mopar cars. Hhp for the charger and z1 for the g37.
BoomerSpeed01 (12-22-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 04:24 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
I personally like the sound of thr vq, if done right (not a muffler delete or sawed off) it has an exotic sound in my opinion.
You're not wrong. I had Stillen exhaust, Z1 cats, and DC headers (and Z1 intakes) on my G and it sounded AMAZING at higher rpms. Definitely one of my favorite (if not the favorite) sounding V6's. The Bose stereo was really good for an oem system too so that car was just a treat for the ears every time I drove it.
BillyTheMan (12-20-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 05:21 PM
BillyTheMan
Registered Member

I have berk resonated test pipes and have a fast intentions cat back on order. Sounds pretty good with just the test pipes though. Got a jwt pop charger intake as well. Might get isr long tube headers at some point. My buddy is a big vr6 guy and he said vq sounds pretty similar to his jetta except for the turbo noises.
4DRZ (12-20-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 05:38 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
I have berk resonated test pipes and have a fast intentions cat back on order. Sounds pretty good with just the test pipes though. Got a jwt pop charger intake as well. Might get isr long tube headers at some point. My buddy is a big vr6 guy and he said vq sounds pretty similar to his jetta except for the turbo noises.
I think the best sounding VW was the the 2nd gen R32. Man did that car sound good! Unfortunately it was never available with a 6 speed manual.
BoomerSpeed01 (12-22-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 08:06 PM
BillyTheMan
Registered Member

There's an mk4 r32 down the street from where I live. My buddy has tried to buy it but the owner won't sell nor will he mod it. His jetta is pushing 612 at the tire with a 72mm Garrett and e85. Best pass he's made so far is 11.5. He's on the fence about getting an rs3, he could afford a $40k car but he doesn't like having payments.
Old 12-22-2022, 11:03 AM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I think the best sounding VW was the the 2nd gen R32. Man did that car sound good! Unfortunately it was never available with a 6 speed manual.
I love the exhaust note of those R32 Golf's.
4DRZ (12-29-2022)
Old 12-22-2022, 11:38 AM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

Vq is definitely not for torque, sometimes I think though that my g pulls harder probably because there's no way other than drag radials I can floor it without spinning doing anything below 40. I personally like the sound of thr vq, if done right (not a muffler delete or sawed off) it has an exotic sound in my opinion. I love my v8 sound too though, charger is full straight pipe. 6.1 has oem shorty headers which actually flow pretty well but I plan on long tubes at some point. The pursuit already has pretty good oem suspension compared the rt and I think it's pretty similar to the srt, I have Hotchkis springs and bilstein shocks which is a really good street set up in my opinion especially considering the price of coilovers. People knock the charger for being so big but I've found the wide stance helps with cornering. They are heavy though. My go to for aftermarket parts is high horse performance, they specialize in hemis and Mopar cars. Hhp for the charger and z1 for the g37.
The Pursuit suspension seems pretty darn stiff, I'd even venture to say that it might even be marginally stiffer than SRT suspension. I'll have to look at that HHP cause I'd like to slowly build my charger into something worth autocrossing I got the itch for autocross when I hade the 2010 G37 coupe, it's seriously so much flipping fun lol The only thing I don't like is how it beats up your tires haha so it can get a bit expensive, but as long as you can afford it, you've got to at least try it. And that goes for anybody, that's the thing about autocross. As long as your car meets their safety guidelines, you can autocross it. I've already taken a couple turns faster than I would have been able to in the G sedan so it definitely handles very well for its size and weight. Which I'd assume is why it's used as Pursuit vehicles to begin with. I can't wait to get a more agressive set of wheels and tires to swap out in summer then have snow tires on the stock steelies for winter. Plus some aesthetic mods like a trunk lip/spoiler and possibly even an SRT/SRT8 front bumper/grill.
Old 12-22-2022, 02:05 PM
BillyTheMan
Registered Member

I'd recommend speedlogix for charger suspension as well. They have really good strut tower braces among and just about any suspension and support you could want for them. Hhp has some good suspension parts too. You might want to make an account on chargerforums.com. lots of good information there. My charger corners pretty good too, it's fun when I'd race a smaller tuner car and they'd be surprised when I could take the corners as well as their little civic or tc.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?