G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2022, 10:42 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by BoomerSpeed01
My hand is being forced, we are expecting our third child around August 2023... I'm likely going to be getting a 3rd row SUV.

Right now I'm thinking Durango, Suburban or Nissan Armada. The Infiniti JX35 / QX60 would be an option but that's what my wife has so I don't want two of the same cars.
New Sienna. It's not an SUV, but modern minivans are pretty sweet. Sienna, Odyssey or Pacifica.
Old 11-17-2022, 11:03 PM
Muck_Man
Registered Member

Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Epiphany
New Sienna. It's not an SUV, but modern minivans are pretty sweet. Sienna, Odyssey or Pacifica.
Haha! I keep trying to sell the Mrs on buying a minivan instead of an SUV but she just is not entertaining the idea. The value for the money is huge on minivans these days with all the features and tech they have on them. Wifey says 'if you like it so much why don't you drive one?' But I won't give up my G....not yet. If they came with more power I night consider some sort of Dadmobile but until then 4DSC is my cup of tea.
Old 11-18-2022, 01:27 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by BoomerSpeed01
My hand is being forced, we are expecting our third child around August 2023... I'm likely going to be getting a 3rd row SUV.

Right now I'm thinking Durango, Suburban or Nissan Armada. The Infiniti JX35 / QX60 would be an option but that's what my wife has so I don't want two of the same cars.
My vote would be for the Durango. We've had two Durango's in the past 5 - 6 years and they have been by far the most trouble free and practical vehicles that we have owned. The first was a Redline Red Durango R/T and the second is a White Knuckle SRT. They both make you feel like you are driving a muscle car and handle surprisingly well. Funny enough, my wife actually preferred the R/T over the SRT because she said it handled better and felt lighter, probably due to being RWD vs. AWD.

Old 11-19-2022, 09:21 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
The replacement for my G may come sooner than I thought, I may buy a 2016 Audi S5 from a family member (for really cheap). Only 44k miles, it mostly sits these days. My only concern with a german car like that is really the reliability, but from my research it seems like the B8.5's are fairly reliable. Also, 440hp with basic mods and a tune sounds fun.

The car in question:

Thoughts? kind of makes sense to me
Old 11-19-2022, 10:17 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
Yes. Absolutely.
The following users liked this post:
iCrap (11-20-2022)
Old 11-20-2022, 09:37 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 1,072 Posts
Thoughts?
If you don't snag it, can I become a honorary "in-law?"

All joking aside, German cars always get a bad reputation and, in some cases, rightfully so. If the car was properly maintained and not "abused" I would not hesitate to pull the trigger.

I assume the S5 has Quattro? If so, the only question then becomes are you willing to go from 4-doors to 2?

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 11-20-2022 at 09:49 AM.
iCrap (11-20-2022)
Old 11-20-2022, 10:31 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Auto or manual?

If it’s all up to date on maintenance and the price is right, I’d jump on it. I’m probably going to jinx myself, but I’m 4.5 years into my R, 3.5 years with my wife’s B9 A4–both piggyback stage 1–and besides fluid changes, I haven’t had any issues that would take me back to the dealership.
iCrap (11-20-2022)
Old 11-20-2022, 10:50 AM
iCrap
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Yes. Absolutely.
reeaallly tempted

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
If you don't snag it, can I become a honorary "in-law?"
All joking aside, German cars always get a bad reputation and, in some cases, rightfully so. If the car was properly maintained and not "abused" I would not hesitate to pull the trigger.
I assume the S5 has Quattro? If so, the only question then becomes are you willing to go from 4-doors to 2?
Yeah, it's been maintained, and yes it has quattro. I go back and forth on the coupe thing, but it's a BIG two door car, and it still has 4 seats. I so rarely drive with more than 1 other person anyways. Oh, also the trunk in this thing is WAY bigger than the G (and the seats fold). So in some ways, it's actually a more practical car.

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Auto or manual?

If it’s all up to date on maintenance and the price is right, I’d jump on it. I’m probably going to jinx myself, but I’m 4.5 years into my R, 3.5 years with my wife’s B9 A4–both piggyback stage 1–and besides fluid changes, I haven’t had any issues that would take me back to the dealership.
DSG auto, glad to hear that you haven't had any issues with yours, that's reassuring lol
I have my S2000 for the manual fix, so any daily I get would most likely be an auto.
Old 11-20-2022, 12:11 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 1,072 Posts
Only other comment I will offer is.. sometimes buying something from a family member is not always a good idea especially if something goes wrong. Only you can evaluate the car and the level of trust in said family member selling the car vs. the family relationship/ dynamic.

That said, if it were me, I'd be writing a check and asking for the keys already except I am in the market for a Cabrio/ 'Vert. However, sometimes a good deal comes around that you would be a fool to pass on (that is how I bought my G in the first place).

Good luck, iCrap. Keep us updated... you lucky duck...

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 11-20-2022 at 12:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ILM-NC G37S:
2GoRNot2G (11-22-2022), Rochester (11-20-2022)
Old 11-20-2022, 01:22 PM
EcstaticG37XS
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
The replacement for my G may come sooner than I thought, I may buy a 2016 Audi S5 from a family member (for really cheap). Only 44k miles, it mostly sits these days. My only concern with a german car like that is really the reliability, but from my research it seems like the B8.5's are fairly reliable. Also, 440hp with basic mods and a tune sounds fun.

The car in question:

If the deal is good, then go for it. It wouldn't hurt to get a pre-purchase inspection to see if there are any issues.
Old 11-20-2022, 01:41 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
The 3.0 supercharged motors are pretty stout so not much to worry about there. As long as you like it and it fits the type of driving you will be doing it sounds like a no brainer.
Old 11-20-2022, 07:46 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

The car in question:

I'd say do it.
Old 11-20-2022, 08:55 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Only other comment I will offer is.. sometimes buying something from a family member is not always a good idea especially if something goes wrong. Only you can evaluate the car and the level of trust in said family member selling the car vs. the family relationship/ dynamic.

That said, if it were me, I'd be writing a check and asking for the keys already except I am in the market for a Cabrio/ 'Vert. However, sometimes a good deal comes around that you would be a fool to pass on (that is how I bought my G in the first place).

Good luck, iCrap. Keep us updated... you lucky duck...
Yea that's always good advice, but in this case not something i'm worried about.

Originally Posted by RobC7
The 3.0 supercharged motors are pretty stout so not much to worry about there. As long as you like it and it fits the type of driving you will be doing it sounds like a no brainer.
Oh yeah it's a ton of fun. I've driven it quite a bit before.

Originally Posted by Epiphany
I'd say do it.

You guys are really convincing me lol, but I think I had already made up my mind, I want it.
Not gonna lie, I'm gonna be kind of sad to put my G back to stock and sell it. I learned a lot and spent countless hours working on it / modding it. I've had it for a loonnnngg time. But, can't keep it forever
Old 11-20-2022, 10:36 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

You guys are really convincing me lol, but I think I had already made up my mind, I want it.
Not gonna lie, I'm gonna be kind of sad to put my G back to stock and sell it. I learned a lot and spent countless hours working on it / modding it. I've had it for a loonnnngg time. But, can't keep it forever
I personally think it's one of the better looking cars out there. Assuming you know the history and getting it at a good price how can you not really. It's almost an evolution from the G.
iCrap (11-20-2022)
Old 11-20-2022, 10:53 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Yup I agree, it looks great. I like the styling more than the B9 personally, less busy. Already looking into mods lol

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?