G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2022, 09:04 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
S5. The trunk on the S4 is a little tight for family duty, the sportback is huge in comparison.

Have you considered the A7. Same turbo V6 but 7 speed DSG vs the 8 speed in the S4/5, and slightly bigger.
Old 10-09-2022, 03:32 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Or maybe I am just not ready to admit that I am getting older and the massaging seat is an awesome idea.
It doesn't have to be an admission. Just roll with whatever age that life finds you when asking these questions. There's no wrong answer.

Get the car that rewards you the most within the budget and values of the moment.

When it comes to Audi, I like the looks of A5 Coupe the most.
The following users liked this post:
abrecos (10-11-2022)
Old 10-10-2022, 04:38 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
I must say the S5 is the only choice here. I understand Audi's design characteristics, but many of their cars look as bland as they drive when compared to their German counterparts. The S5 looks like it can be a timeless design, sort of like the first gen A7.

Do you think you will own a car again as along as you owned the G37?
Old 10-11-2022, 10:47 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Sorry guys, but the A7 is just way too big and heavy and boring for me. The S5 sportback even feels a bit large to me.

Originally Posted by Rochester
It doesn't have to be an admission. Just roll with whatever age that life finds you when asking these questions. There's no wrong answer.

Get the car that rewards you the most within the budget and values of the moment.

When it comes to Audi, I like the looks of A5 Coupe the most.
It was meant to be a joke, but I agree with finding the most rewarding car.

Originally Posted by RobC7
I must say the S5 is the only choice here. I understand Audi's design characteristics, but many of their cars look as bland as they drive when compared to their German counterparts. The S5 looks like it can be a timeless design, sort of like the first gen A7.

Do you think you will own a car again as along as you owned the G37?
I agree on the S5 sportback. Definitely the sportiest looking and surprisingly the most practical for hauling things. The thing I struggle with is the lack of a stick shift. I did not realize that would be so much of a hang up since the S5 Sport back has a ton more features and benefits to me- 33 to be exact, but who's counting? Oh yeah, this guy!

Great question on how long I will own a car. 2 of my last 3 Subarus I owned about as long or longer than the G37. I am really struggling to pull the trigger on the S5 Sport back because my STI Type RA is a really good car. I really don't want to give up the stick shift. In fact, I have been seriously considering a used BMW M4 with a stick shift. The problem there is giving up the AWD which is great in the winter here. It just seems like every serious option to upgrade the Type RA comes with a tradeoff- either a lack of stick shift or a lack of AWD.

But I do think this would be a fun car. I am planning to take some vacation on the 1st full week in November so I am trying to find one not too far from Route 66 and take a road trip. At least that is today's latest idea for a new vehicle. Tune in tomorrow for the next crazy idea where I think it is a good idea to buy an old mail truck and convert it into a drag racer!

RA081224 (10-11-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 11:25 AM
RobC7
Registered Member

Wait, I suggested the S5 because they don't make any of the cars you listed in a manual. Is that not true?

M3/M4 is an idea that comes to my head as well. Much more financially responsible choice over a CT5VBW.

On topic, wholesale auction prices have fallen quite drastically in the past week or so. I'm suspecting prices will continue to fall as new car production has ramped up and the markets continue to struggle.

Old 10-11-2022, 12:39 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Wait, I suggested the S5 because they don't make any of the cars you listed in a manual. Is that not true?

M3/M4 is an idea that comes to my head as well. Much more financially responsible choice over a CT5VBW.

On topic, wholesale auction prices have fallen quite drastically in the past week or so. I'm suspecting prices will continue to fall as new car production has ramped up and the markets continue to struggle.
The S5 does not come in a manual if that is what you mean. And that is my main struggle with it. I drove one recently and it is really really nice, but I feel disconnected from it without the manual.

I have always wanted an M3 due to the 4 doors for my daughter to get in and out and the look of the wider rear fenders, but could never find the right equipment (just like my struggle with an ATS-V). My wife also wants to drive this car a bit and hates driving my STI. She wants a convertible, but I hate the way those drive and the extra weight. She prefers the style of the M4 to M3 and our daughter is old enough to get into her own car seat so 2dr. cars are back on the menu. I like the styling of the M4 and it is so much easier to find one with cloth seats. Now just to find a good deal before my vacation...

I half hope you are right about used car prices continuing to drop so I can get a decent deal on an M4, but that also means the value of my Type RA will also drop.
Old 10-11-2022, 01:01 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

The S5 does not come in a manual if that is what you mean. And that is my main struggle with it. I drove one recently and it is really really nice, but I feel disconnected from it without the manual.
The S4 is not available in manual either is the point I was trying to make, unless I missed something somewhere.
Old 10-11-2022, 02:00 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
What about the b8.5 S5 manual? I dunno how many are out there though.
Old 10-11-2022, 03:16 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

The S4 is not available in manual either is the point I was trying to make, unless I missed something somewhere.
Right, Audi got out of the M/T business for sedans a while ago.

Originally Posted by iCrap
What about the b8.5 S5 manual? I dunno how many are out there though.
I love the sound of the V8 engine in that car, but I would go brand new for Audi with my discount and I would rather have the crazy tuneability of the turbo V6 and the practicality of 4 doors. But you are on the right path with the previous generation coupe with a 6 spd. Fun car.
Old 10-11-2022, 04:22 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
Oh the V8 is the B8 but that also did come with the manual, the 8.5 is the V6 Supercharged. makes pretty good power with the APR stuff

Old 10-12-2022, 08:51 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Right, Audi got out of the M/T business for sedans a while ago.
Audi is completely out of the manual game. They did a 1 year only B9 A4 with a 6MT in 2018. I think the R8 manual died around then too.

If you're not chasing every last horsepower, the JB4 is available for the 3.0T as well, and you wouldn't risk the warranty. A7 with a JB4 is pretty much my bogey for the wife's next car.
Old 10-12-2022, 11:07 AM
RobC7
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Audi is completely out of the manual game. They did a 1 year only B9 A4 with a 6MT in 2018. I think the R8 manual died around then too.

If you're not chasing every last horsepower, the JB4 is available for the 3.0T as well, and you wouldn't risk the warranty. A7 with a JB4 is pretty much my bogey for the wife's next car.
That's what I was thinking and I thought 4DRZ only wanted a manual.

For anyone shopping for a brand new R8, Underground Racing does offer a manual swap.
Old 10-12-2022, 01:01 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by iCrap
Oh the V8 is the B8 but that also did come with the manual, the 8.5 is the V6 Supercharged. makes pretty good power with the APR stuff
Good call on the B8.5! I completely forgot about that car because manuals were so rare. According to Autotrader there is exactly one of these cars in the country right now with relatively low mileage. Talk about a unicorn! They were made from 2013-2017. Honestly the hp numbers are not bad with the pulleys and throttle body through APR, but I prefer the styling, features, fit & finish, and nearly 200 lb/ft. more though APR of the new S5 sportback or S4. I just don't like the A/T and additional weight.

Which brings me back to an M4 which I also like better than the B8.5. There are a couple of nice M4's out there right now that I am working deals on so we will see if anything pans out. I will miss the AWD this winter, but not necessarily the fit and finish of the Type RA.
Old 10-13-2022, 05:23 PM
abrecos
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Check this out!
The following 3 users liked this post by abrecos:
4DRZ (10-14-2022), iCrap (10-14-2022), Rochester (10-13-2022)
Old 10-13-2022, 08:46 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Great video! Kids in a candy store.
abrecos (10-13-2022)

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?