G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2022, 11:38 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
It's the latest blingy thing. People don't buy cars for functionality - otherwise they'd still look like aircraft cockpits. Hell, my work car barely has a fuel gage and a speedo. I guess when everything is automatic, manual controls for, well, anything, are extraneous. Nowadays the only system that you have to use your brain to engage with is the nav/entertainment, and most are so over complicated it's silly.

Aircraft design is that each critical control has a differently shaped **** or dial, so that pilots can activate them by feel without having to look around. While I don't need every button next to the radio to be different, that design concept has some merit. Even softbuttons (physical buttons with the function defined in software) like the stereotypical aircraft MFD.

I know I sound like a techno-luddite, but... c'mon people. Not EVERYTHING needs a touch-screen.
The following 2 users liked this post by rotarymike:
goldbug (09-23-2022), RA081224 (09-20-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 11:53 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
You guys are on the right path with real buttons vs. touchscreen for everything. Acura tried to reinvent the wheel with minimal buttons, people complained, and now they are bringing them back. Mazda really did it the best of all of our brands for touchscreen use with a significantly simplified i-drive type controller without getting rid of most buttons. The controller allows you to navigate around the touch screen so that you don't have to take your eyes off the wheel as long to see where to place your finger. Simple, but effective.

I have recently learned to really hate stereos that do not have a volume ****. I upgrade the radio in my car a few months ago and not too many good aftermarket stereos have volume *****. It is quite annoying for how long it takes to quiet down the stereo without a volume **** once you shut off the car. I bet most aftermarket stereo companies are in the Acura phase right now and might bring back volume *****.
Old 09-19-2022, 12:27 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
The stinger has this nasty nanny called active forward collision warning. The car will brake on its own if it thinks you're going to crash into something. On more than one occasion it has interfered and almost caused an accident. It can be disabled but doesn't stick through subsequent restart cycles.

So my routine when starting the car is to push the idle start/stop (to disable that). Once i'm rolling hit the voice command button, "search settings for forward". Few sec later it brings up the right menu to turn FCW off. This setting is at least 4 or 5 levels deep in the menus (touch screen). Searching by voice is fastest.

I wish I could just hook up a laptop and permanently disable functions I don't want.

It's good to hear acura has come to its senses. The rotary wheel is truly a step back.
The following users liked this post:
RA081224 (09-20-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 05:28 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
My company car is a Ford Fusion. Only way to disable stop-start is to put it in sport mode which seems to disable the top few gears.

I could live without that.
RA081224 (09-20-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 06:05 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
You guys bring up some good points about all the electronic nannies. On Saturday I drove a 2000 Miata that did not even have ABS. It was so refreshing to drive something so pure with such a good connection to the driver without all of the electronic crap getting in the way.

I always have a good laugh (to myself) when someone tells me they need to have blind spot monitoring on their car because it is such a "useful feature." 100% of the time when I get in their trade-in I notice that their mirrors show the sides of the car. That is actually what creates the blind spot in the fist place. They might as well rip the mirror off the windshield because it shows exactly the same image as the side mirrors.
RA081224 (09-20-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 11:28 AM
RA081224
Banned

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
My company car is a Ford Fusion. Only way to disable stop-start is to put it in sport mode which seems to disable the top few gears.

I could live without that.
My wife's car has all that crap; blind spot detection, reverse and forward emergency braking, lane departure warning, active sonar all around the vehicle. The damn seat buzzes so much its distracting to drive. On the rare occasions I have to drive her car, the first 10 minutes are turning all that stuff off so I can actually drive. I would definitely hope some aftermarket company designs defeats for all that as it seriously detracts from me wanting to buy a car so equipped. IMHO, if you need all those nag items to drive safely, you probably shouldn't be behind the wheel
Old 09-20-2022, 11:34 AM
RA081224
Banned

Originally Posted by JSolo
The stinger has this nasty nanny called active forward collision warning. The car will brake on its own if it thinks you're going to crash into something. On more than one occasion it has interfered and almost caused an accident. It can be disabled but doesn't stick through subsequent restart cycles.

So my routine when starting the car is to push the idle start/stop (to disable that). Once i'm rolling hit the voice command button, "search settings for forward". Few sec later it brings up the right menu to turn FCW off. This setting is at least 4 or 5 levels deep in the menus (touch screen). Searching by voice is fastest.

I wish I could just hook up a laptop and permanently disable functions I don't want.

It's good to hear acura has come to its senses. The rotary wheel is truly a step back.
All these "technological improvements" bring to mind a quote:

"Build a device (car/computer/whatever) that any idiot will use, and only idiots will use it"

Maybe I've become a curmudgeon, but I find insulting that a lot of drivers have eschewed their own skills to rely on electronic babysitters to relieve them of their responsibilities
Old 09-20-2022, 11:42 AM
RA081224
Banned

Originally Posted by rotarymike
I know I sound like a techno-luddite, but... c'mon people. Not EVERYTHING needs a touch-screen.

Ooooooooo, have you thrown your sabot into any weaving machines lately??
Old 09-20-2022, 11:53 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by Absinthe
My wife's car has all that crap; blind spot detection, reverse and forward emergency braking, lane departure warning, active sonar all around the vehicle. The damn seat buzzes so much its distracting to drive. On the rare occasions I have to drive her car, the first 10 minutes are turning all that stuff off so I can actually drive. I would definitely hope some aftermarket company designs defeats for all that as it seriously detracts from me wanting to buy a car so equipped. IMHO, if you need all those nag items to drive safely, you probably shouldn't be behind the wheel
Have you ever been in a car where the forward collision avoidance system nailed the brakes before you re-ended someone? That happened to me once in my wife's Forester, and I'm grateful for it.

Have you ever had to emergency stop the car while driving on snow, and the ABS actually stopped the car better than you possibly could otherwise? That happens to everyone (up North).

Have you ever backed up in a parking lot, only to have the car lurch to a stop because another car was flying through the lanes, or a pedestrian magically appeared out of nowhere? That also happens to everyone.

Have you ever been on a road trip when the lane assist corrected a drift because you were yelling at the kids in the back seat? I could go on.

I'll keep the nannies, thank you.
Old 09-20-2022, 12:14 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 1,072 Posts
I admit I am old school but I am against any car that brakes or steers for me. Period. That may be the way of the future but it is a future that will not include me.

"Nanny Technologies" are intended to be aides to safe, proper, defensive driving habits and skills. NOT replacements. Unfortunately, as drivers get more complacent, and reliant, on the technology to drive the car, those skills go out the window and get replaced with bad, non-driving habits. Like playing on phones, recording/ watching videos, eating, even making "whoopie," etc.

The safer and smarter that cars- and technology- gets, the dumber and lazier people will get...

I am sure we can all agree to disagree on this...

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 09-20-2022 at 12:40 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ILM-NC G37S:
goldbug (09-23-2022), RA081224 (09-21-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 12:34 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

@Rochester Valid concerns if they *apply* to you.

However, I'd prefer to have the *choice* of enabling/disabling this (forward collision warning) feature as it applies to *me* rather than having it forced fed down my throat because someone else (li......) thinks they know what's best for me. The other features you mentioned are useful - except for the lane departure. Roads here are so bad im usually all over my lane avoiding potholes.

In my 30 yrs of driving I never rear ended anyone. I pay attention and keep good following distance. There is no need to be 2 car lengths back when on the interstate going 80 mph, or in stop and go rush hour traffic.
The following 3 users liked this post by JSolo:
goldbug (09-23-2022), ILM-NC G37S (09-20-2022), RA081224 (09-21-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 01:30 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

No other car I've driven to date had the forward collision system. Didn't rear end anyone or come close to it.

Maybe driving habits need to be evaluated if you need assistance to avoid rear ending the car in front.

What were the circumstances surrounding your experience in the forester?
RA081224 (09-21-2022)
Old 09-21-2022, 09:07 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
The collision avoidance is adjustable on my car--basically low, medium, high--and it remembers your setting. Setting the stability control to sport also disables it. I've gotten the warning beep, but it's always been right as I'm getting into the brakes. Of course nothing is perfect, if I exit my driveway to quick, it goes off, and if I back into the garage too fast, it slams on the brakes. A minor annoyance, especially if I'm not on the clutch and stall

It's adaptive cruise that drives me crazy and can't be turned off. I understand maintaining adequate distance, but it moderate traffic, where you have good visibility ahead and through traffic, it leaves too much distance and cars leapfrog in front and it keeps slowing down more and more.....

Unfortunately, this stuff is all increasingly being mandated by the .gov and insurance, and the majority of consumers want it to, so better learn to accept it, or make sure it can be disabled and isn't overly intrusive
Old 09-21-2022, 10:40 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
It's adaptive cruise that drives me crazy and can't be turned off.
Subaru's EyeSight system is the opposite. Collision avoidance doesn't have settings, just on or off. Same for lane departure and lane assist.

ACC can be turned on/off at any time, but it has 3 distance settings, which I use depending on traffic. I love using ACC on highway road trips. It's one of those things you didn't know you wanted until you have it.
Old 09-21-2022, 10:50 AM
RA081224
Banned

Originally Posted by Rochester
Have you ever been in a car where the forward collision avoidance system nailed the brakes before you re-ended someone? That happened to me once in my wife's Forester, and I'm grateful for it.

Have you ever had to emergency stop the car while driving on snow, and the ABS actually stopped the car better than you possibly could otherwise? That happens to everyone (up North).

Have you ever backed up in a parking lot, only to have the car lurch to a stop because another car was flying through the lanes, or a pedestrian magically appeared out of nowhere? That also happens to everyone.

Have you ever been on a road trip when the lane assist corrected a drift because you were yelling at the kids in the back seat? I could go on.

I'll keep the nannies, thank you.
Nope, Nope and Nope; but I have had the auto braking mistakenly think that as I come around a bend with traffic stopped in the first lane (when I'm in the second lane) suddenly jam on the brakes. I also dislike how anti-lock brakes will activate as I enter a freeway on a tight incline ramp. The fact is none of these electronic gadgets are capable of replacing a human mind when it comes to complex tasks such as driving.

Do they save lives? Probably, but that is more an issue of compromised drivers than anything else. Sadly, I fear you are in the majority as auto makers feel we all need engine compartment drivers, but I do not like them and will continue to look for ways to defeat them.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?