G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2022, 10:25 AM
rfurball
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
And holy crap 4DRZ that's quite a rabbit hole. Very cool car and mods though - well done. So let me ask you this in hindsight - assuming you weren't ever going to track your car, it was going to remain your DD and you want it still kinda comfy, and you weren't as good a mechanic as you appear to be.....what mods would you still do?....and I realize we might be getting a bit off track from this feed. But to bring us back I am very close to pulling the trigger on an 05 911 - I'll be sure to let you guys know if its a worthy replacement....assuming (not good) the swap gets boss approval....well, approval is a high bar.
Old 09-08-2022, 11:14 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by rfurball
But to bring us back I am very close to pulling the trigger on an 05 911 - I'll be sure to let you guys know if its a worthy replacement....assuming (not good) the swap gets boss approval....well, approval is a high bar.
Probably better to beg for forgiveness vs asking permission on this one.
The following users liked this post:
2GoRNot2G (09-08-2022)
Old 09-08-2022, 11:20 AM
rfurball
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Yup. Always is.....until its not.
Lego_Maniac (09-08-2022)
Old 09-08-2022, 12:59 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
^ what do you mean shimmy and shake with the top down? I don't have that in my S2000?
I probably have a hyper sensitive butt dyno, but I can certainly feel it in an old S2000 with the top down compared to a modern sports car with a roof. Maybe you have added some chassis bracing to your car to help with that. I even felt it when I put the top down on the '19 M4 convertible. It was not too bad with the top up though. Scares me a bit to think about tracking the damn thing (M4) with that flex in the chassis, but I'm sure I would have to put the top up for a track day anyway.

Originally Posted by rfurball
And holy crap 4DRZ that's quite a rabbit hole. Very cool car and mods though - well done. So let me ask you this in hindsight - assuming you weren't ever going to track your car, it was going to remain your DD and you want it still kinda comfy, and you weren't as good a mechanic as you appear to be.....what mods would you still do?....and I realize we might be getting a bit off track from this feed. But to bring us back I am very close to pulling the trigger on an 05 911 - I'll be sure to let you guys know if its a worthy replacement....assuming (not good) the swap gets boss approval....well, approval is a high bar.
Funny you should ask. I was just about to answer your mod question before you asked it in my last post since I am sure you will not get as carried away as me. I was also thinking about picking up a G37 convertible for my wife and what mild mods I would do to make it more fun without going crazy with it. Is your convertible a 6spd. manual? If it is I would get a B&M short throw shifter and a weighted shift ****- Raceseng makes some really nice options. You can try a Jsolo clutch spring which will nicely improve the clutch feel, but you really need an RJM performance clutch pedal assembly if you are feeling limber. The installation is straight forward, but you have to be a bit of a contortionist to do it. It is a lot easier to remove the driver's seat 1st- just 4 bolts and unplugging a few things. Totally worth it.

That engine sounds really nice with the right cat back exhaust. Listen to some sound clips on youtube to decide, but I got the stillen exhaust and really liked it. If you want to reduce the shifter shake and driveline rattle I would get a Z1 poly trans mount bushing (only if you get the exhaust since it adds a bit of NVH). I would not worry about rear subframe or differential bracing and go straight to a Bell Raceworks rear differential brace (or I see Z1 now has a version of this). I would also do Z1 intakes.

Those relatively simple mods will really improve the driving feel, shifting precision, and sound of the car for not a ton of money.
Old 09-08-2022, 01:50 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I would get a B&M short throw shifter and a weighted shift ****- Raceseng makes some really nice options. You can try a Jsolo clutch spring which will nicely improve the clutch feel, but you really need an RJM performance clutch pedal assembly if you are feeling limber. The installation is straight forward, but you have to be a bit of a contortionist to do it. It is a lot easier to remove the driver's seat 1st- just 4 bolts and unplugging a few things. Totally worth it.

That engine sounds really nice with the right cat back exhaust. Listen to some sound clips on youtube to decide, but I got the stillen exhaust and really liked it. If you want to reduce the shifter shake and driveline rattle I would get a Z1 poly trans mount bushing (only if you get the exhaust since it adds a bit of NVH). I would not worry about rear subframe or differential bracing and go straight to a Bell Raceworks rear differential brace (or I see Z1 now has a version of this). I would also do Z1 intakes.

Those relatively simple mods will really improve the driving feel, shifting precision, and sound of the car for not a ton of money.

This. Quoted for emphasis.

Also, after your I/E mods, get the car tuned.

Also, also... the Vert 6MT already comes with short 3.9:1 rear gears. If it were me, having driven a Vert 6MT and having replaced my gears with 4.083:1, I'd leave well enough alone in that Vert rear end.
Old 09-14-2022, 11:51 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Next gen Mustang is going to be revealed tonight at 8:00 EST.

4DRZ (09-16-2022)
Old 09-14-2022, 04:11 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I probably have a hyper sensitive butt dyno, but I can certainly feel it in an old S2000 with the top down compared to a modern sports car with a roof. Maybe you have added some chassis bracing to your car to help with that. I even felt it when I put the top down on the '19 M4 convertible. It was not too bad with the top up though. Scares me a bit to think about tracking the damn thing (M4) with that flex in the chassis, but I'm sure I would have to put the top up for a track day anyway..
Hmm I never noticed it. I do have a few mods though. Also, on that car I don't think top up vs down would do anything. the top is a flimsy metal frame, can't imagine it adds any rigidity.
Old 09-14-2022, 04:19 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Leaked already....... I don't like it.

Old 09-14-2022, 10:04 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Leaked already....... I don't like it.
Good looking car. I like the hood vents and the tails, and pretty much every angle on it. (Well, maybe there's too much unpainted, black plastic.) What I strongly disliked is the gigantic piece of glass over the dashboard. I'm not against seeing an expansive pair of LCD screens, I'm just saying it should look integrated, and not glued on to the dashboard. The interior is hideous.

Mechanically, there's nothing here that's new. Granted, 480hp with a 6MT is a fantastic combo, but still... nothing new.

The reveal itself was kind of funny, in an awkward way, because the audience was completely unresponsive. The presenter kept trying to rev them up, and they weren't having it. Ouch.

meh.
Old 09-14-2022, 11:42 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Yea interior is pretty bad.... the screens look like iPads glued to the dash.

Also - remote rev. Seriously????
Old 09-15-2022, 11:10 AM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
Yea interior is pretty bad.... the screens look like iPads glued to the dash.

And drift mode e-brake? The marketing teams are really trying here......

I don't like it. The Dark Horse looks decent but all other configurations are bleh.
Old 09-16-2022, 12:26 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Hmm I never noticed it. I do have a few mods though. Also, on that car I don't think top up vs down would do anything. the top is a flimsy metal frame, can't imagine it adds any rigidity.
I was comparing a 20 year old convertible to a new coupe. Huge difference in structural rigidity.

Maybe they are trying to get Mustang owners to rev their cars in the parking lot instead of overrevving on the street and crashing. Too soon?

Originally Posted by RobC7
I don't like it. The Dark Horse looks decent but all other configurations are bleh.
I thought the exact same thing- I did not like the initial Mustang that was just released. It just didn't look that different and I actually prefer the cleaner lines of the current generation. Then yesterday I read about the dark horse and that sounds pretty interesting.
Old 09-17-2022, 12:34 AM
Muck_Man
Registered Member

Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts
I agree with iCrap. The screens look like they were just 'glued' to the dash. If automanufacturers put a little more effort into encorporating the infotainment systems into the dash board I would be more inclined to buy a new vehicle. Obviously, there are some better examples out there, but in general I feel like no thought has been given at all to how these tablets look within a vehicle. I could do better with some flex seal and a putty knife.
Old 09-19-2022, 09:52 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
You know, I'd be OK with one screen and some buttons - real buttons - rather than touchscreen everything. That would save a ton of $ for the manufacturers - and a ton of rare earth minerals too.
Old 09-19-2022, 11:12 AM
RA081224
Banned

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
You know, I'd be OK with one screen and some buttons - real buttons - rather than touchscreen everything. That would save a ton of $ for the manufacturers - and a ton of rare earth minerals too.
Not to mention you could actually feel the damn buttons without having to glance down at the screen to visually identify them. I read an article recently in Road and Track questioning the utility of touch screens. For my life I can't understand what took so long for them to come around

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?