G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2022, 04:25 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by rs98
Just bought an S5 Sportback to replace my G. It's definitely a very different animal, but I'm excited for the tunability.
Excellent choice! I recently did a video on an RS5 and how I thought the S5 was a better value since you can tune it now. (APR took their sweet time on this one)
The following users liked this post:
rs98 (10-15-2022)
Old 08-23-2022, 06:03 AM
BillyTheMan
Registered Member

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
I'd really like try an m56x one day. I'm a V8 guy and that 420 hp with AWD sounds interesting. Lexus rcf would be nice too, though with the amount of money I'm making the m56 would be closer to my price range. I have an SRT8 charger for a fast car to build and if I replace that at some point I'd try an LS. Haven't had many problems with the charger except the hemi lifters, g37 is a much better daily driver though, especially with the charger being stripped from the driver's seat back.
Old 08-23-2022, 09:37 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BillyTheMan
I'd really like try an m56x one day. I'm a V8 guy and that 420 hp with AWD sounds interesting. Lexus rcf would be nice too, though with the amount of money I'm making the m56 would be closer to my price range. I have an SRT8 charger for a fast car to build and if I replace that at some point I'd try an LS. Haven't had many problems with the charger except the hemi lifters, g37 is a much better daily driver though, especially with the charger being stripped from the driver's seat back.
That car always caught my interest as well and I swear it came with a stick shift in RWD in some Road & Track comparison to a Mercedes, but it turns out it was A/T. It is a big, heavy car, but could probably be made to sound pretty good.
Old 08-23-2022, 11:37 AM
BillyTheMan
Registered Member

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
I've done some extensive research into them, if one was nearby when I was looking I would have gotten that over the g37. Not a whole lot of aftermarket support, they run around 13 stock. They did have an sport trim that I'd assume had a limited slip in it. I've seen a few videos of them straight piped and they do sound good.
4DRZ (08-25-2022)
Old 08-25-2022, 06:41 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

What do you guys think of the G37 convertible? My wife wants a convertible and it would be better if it had a back seat for our 3 year old. I liked the Bose stereo in my G37 sedan and I imagine this Bose system is pretty good too with the speakers on the headrests. It looks like it has a decent trunk when the top is up. I would prefer a hard top and this is one of the few that I think looks good with the top up.

I tried out a BMW M4 Competition convertible yesterday and it was fun, but expensive and I thought it did not look as good with the top up as the M3. Like most convertibles there was a bit of a wobble in the chassis over bumps with the top down. I imagine the same thing with the G37 top down. Just wanted to pick your brains here as mostly sedan owners to compare as I have never driven one and I know there are never many of them for sale. Thanks!

Old 08-25-2022, 07:35 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
^^Remind wife winter is not too distant .
Old 08-25-2022, 07:46 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by JSolo
^^Remind wife winter is not too distant .
Exactly! Good time for some good deals right before the snow flies.
Old 08-25-2022, 07:47 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
What do you guys think of the G37 convertible?
Absolutely love the look of the Vert with the top up. With the top down, not so much. But I'm not a convertible guy.

Back in 2011, I had a friend with a 2010 G37S Vert 6MT. I was in the market for a G as "next car", and he let me borrow his for a few days, to see if it was really a fit for me. Needless to say, I loved the powertrain and the shifter and the size & power of the car. However, putting two kids in the back seat (although much younger then) was kind of awkward. And even through the Vert Sport Package came with 3.9:1 rear gears, it still was a strange thing to drive. You could really feel the weight of the Vert. It wasn't a very chuck-able car.

Also, there sure are a lot of roof problems described here on the forum.
Old 08-25-2022, 08:01 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Absolutely love the look of the Vert with the top up. With the top down, not so much. But I'm not a convertible guy.

Back in 2011, I had a friend with a 2010 G37S Vert 6MT. I was in the market for a G as "next car", and he let me borrow his for a few days, to see if it was really a fit for me. Needless to say, I loved the powertrain and the shifter and the size & power of the car. However, putting two kids in the back seat (although much younger then) was kind of awkward. And even through the Vert Sport Package came with 3.9:1 rear gears, it still was a strange thing to drive. You could really feel the weight of the Vert. It wasn't a very chuck-able car.

Also, there sure are a lot of roof problems described here on the forum.
I think you are dead on with my thoughts on this. I am not really a convertible guy either because of the look, extra weight, and less stable chassis due to cutting off the top. Convertible tops are not cheap, but fortunately the G37 is inexpensive which means an extended warranty is a relative bargain. Don't worry, I would not go crazy with mods on this like my sedan. Probably just intake and mufflers to make it sound better and clutch assembly and short shifter to make it drive better.

Can anyone confirm that the stereo sounds as decent as the Bose in the sedan? Not sure if it also has the 10" woofers in the front doors like the sedan.

Does anyone know if the top goes down by holding the button on the driver's door like on the 370Z?
Old 08-26-2022, 12:35 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

2023 Z anyone? Found this on fb.

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?-9fs8dzw.jpg

And this vette.

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?-te3knua.jpg

Dealers doing this should be boycotted.
Old 08-26-2022, 09:35 AM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
The vette dealer was bullied into selling the car at MSRP. Not sure about the Z proto spec. I hate this ****.
Old 08-26-2022, 10:13 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Bullied? Rightfully so.
iCrap (08-26-2022)
Old 08-26-2022, 10:55 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
What do you guys think of the G37 convertible? My wife wants a convertible and it would be better if it had a back seat for our 3 year old. I liked the Bose stereo in my G37 sedan and I imagine this Bose system is pretty good too with the speakers on the headrests. It looks like it has a decent trunk when the top is up. I would prefer a hard top and this is one of the few that I think looks good with the top up.

I tried out a BMW M4 Competition convertible yesterday and it was fun, but expensive and I thought it did not look as good with the top up as the M3. Like most convertibles there was a bit of a wobble in the chassis over bumps with the top down. I imagine the same thing with the G37 top down. Just wanted to pick your brains here as mostly sedan owners to compare as I have never driven one and I know there are never many of them for sale. Thanks!

Prior to getting my 6MT sedan, I test drove a 6MT 'vert. My only baseline was a non-sport sedan and auto sport coupe. I didn't feel a considerable difference, but I was also with a chaperone.

Not a huge fan of convertibles because I feel like they have a narrow window of use, where it's neither too cold or too hot to have the top down. IMO the rear seat is a nicely upholstered luggage shelf. I supposed you could cram some kids back there, but a car seat/booster? Juice isn't worth the squeeze
Old 08-26-2022, 11:11 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

I had a camaro with ttops in a previous life. Can't tell you what a hassle it was to R&R the ttops each time. Eventually they just stay on all the time. A convertible makes this easier but still, if it's too hot/too cold, top will be up.
Old 08-26-2022, 11:50 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by JSolo
I had a camaro with ttops in a previous life. Can't tell you what a hassle it was to R&R the ttops each time. Eventually they just stay on all the time. A convertible makes this easier but still, if it's too hot/too cold, top will be up.
Trans Am here. And yeah. Even more of a pain if there was anything in the trunk, because that needed to come out first, then back in.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?