G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2022, 12:58 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
I think when VAG Group can get their version of an electric SUV/crossover up to 400-500 mile range for $45k or so we'll see WAY more on the roads - and they'll appeal to a larger populace too.

My wife and I have talked about it at length, because we mostly drive around town and having one car electric would work for us. But... I'm not giving up my stick shift ICE RWD cars yet, and we usually take her crossover on longer trips so the range limit is the stopping factor.

So... not quite yet.
I could have written that, word for word. Seriously.

If I keep my G for a few more years because it's freaking awesome, and we keep the Forester as a third car and for road trips, but get something like the Id.4 for daily driving... grok.
Old 07-25-2022, 10:56 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
I'd be lying outright if I said the Id.4 isn't interesting. Just not enough to have another car payment... yet.

108k on the CX5, 80k on the G - both need some maintenance work but neither has issues.
Old 07-25-2022, 11:42 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I'd be lying outright if I said the Id.4 isn't interesting. Just not enough to have another car payment... yet.

108k on the CX5, 80k on the G - both need some maintenance work but neither has issues.
I did a walk around on an ID.4 that I saw while biking a few weeks ago. It looks quite nice, lots of fresh design elements to be appealing. But it also looked smaller than I expected.

63k on the Forester, 51k on the G - neither need maintenance and neither have any issues. I think the Subby is due for new front brakes, though.
Old 07-25-2022, 01:06 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

CX5 needs 100k service (plugs, belts, check hoses) and struts.

G37 only really has one maintenance issue (can't refill above 1/4 tank) and megaboat of mods lol.
Old 07-25-2022, 02:10 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Speaking of electric cars, this Hyundai Ioniq 6 N looks pretty badass with 577 hp.

https://carbuzz.com/news/enjoy-a-det...n-in-new-video

The following users liked this post:
rotarymike (07-25-2022)
Old 07-27-2022, 10:39 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

I saw another Mustang Mach-e today on the road and... they look really nice.

If they'd just take the damn Mustang label and pony off I think it would garner less hate. Call it a Sorraia (Portuguese wild horse) perhaps, or my favorite - Brumby. Though that would be better for a Subaru hybrid car-truck LOL.

The 300m range is getting there, but the $60k price tag isn't.
Old 07-27-2022, 11:06 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I saw another Mustang Mach-e today on the road and... they look really nice.
Yeah, they're not horrible. And the rear end looks really interesting. I also like the Mach-e when I see one on the road.

The interiors, however... really cheap looking, with this gigantic LCD dominating everything. Not a rewarding place to live.

The GV60, on the other hand... that would make me happy, I'm sure. But the premium pricing over the Ionic5 is a stretch for what it is. When the day comes, I highly doubt I'll be dishing out $60k for next car.

Here's an interior pic of both:

Last edited by Rochester; 07-27-2022 at 11:27 AM.
ngolbuff (07-28-2022)
Old 07-27-2022, 11:38 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

The more I look at the state of cars, and given that my daily is the company whip, I think my next might be a 2010-2017 6-speed Panamera 4S or GTS (if that's an option, hard to parse the wiki list). I'm not afraid to curse in German while using tools.

Edit: maybe not. Further research shows that "Global production with the 6-speed manual was only 50 with V6 and 96 with V8" (wikipedia). Talk about a unicorn.

I have *yet* to drive an auto that does what I want it to do automagically or shifts how I want it to shift in manual mode, BMW DCTs included.
Old 07-28-2022, 10:35 AM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
My car has been in various states of broken over the past month, so I've been driving around a family member's B.8.5 S5 and it's making me hate my car now lol. That DCT + Supercharger whine is something else. It's not the most reliable car though.
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Lego_Maniac (07-28-2022)
Old 07-28-2022, 11:52 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Yeah, they're not horrible. And the rear end looks really interesting. I also like the Mach-e when I see one on the road.

The interiors, however... really cheap looking, with this gigantic LCD dominating everything. Not a rewarding place to live.

The GV60, on the other hand... that would make me happy, I'm sure. But the premium pricing over the Ionic5 is a stretch for what it is. When the day comes, I highly doubt I'll be dishing out $60k for next car.

Here's an interior pic of both:

The Mach-E definitely looks a bit plain compared to the Genesis, but it does look a touch nicer than a Tesla Model 3. The interior of the Model 3 looks as plain as one of the 1st Saturn cars. Genesis keeps designing really nice looking interiors (and exteriors on most).
Old 07-29-2022, 09:40 AM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 239 Likes on 165 Posts
On youtube if you look up "fixed 2023 wrx" they look pretty damn good. Turns out Subaru could have just applied more paint and everything would have been fine.

I do kind of miss having a AWD fun car in Wisconsin winters. I wouldn't sell the G but I am thinking of ways to get one. That or I'll just get a cool truck.
Old 07-29-2022, 11:15 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom
On youtube if you look up "fixed 2023 wrx" they look pretty damn good. Turns out Subaru could have just applied more paint and everything would have been fine.

I do kind of miss having a AWD fun car in Wisconsin winters. I wouldn't sell the G but I am thinking of ways to get one. That or I'll just get a cool truck.
Are you talking about the video with the red 2022 WRX? The painted fenders are a slight improvement, but I think it is still ugly. The one I thought looked decent was the rendering below of the new STI if they painted the fenders (before Subaru killed it off).

You are right about AWD in the snow. I had an absolute blast in my STI last winter after 5 years of not being able to put the power down in my G with the best snow tires money could buy. I was thinking about RWD, AWD, and FWD the other day and I decided the most fun to drive cars in WI are AWD cars that can send a lot of power to the rear like a RWD in the dry, but have locking differentials for the winter. This morning I tested my theory in my STI in Sport + mode with the center differential set to rear + as I got sideways on an onramp while walking away from a high hp Mercedes. Lots of fun! Now the car just needs some more power and a subwoofer for the stereo.

I keep thinking about a CT4-V Blackwing or an Audi RS3, but I don't think they are worth the money as far as "fun to drive" is concerned. Maybe as a used car replacement for my car when the market goes back to normal and they become more affordable. Or maybe some high performance electric car comes out that is "reasonably" priced- looking at you Hyundai Ioniq 6 N or maybe Subaru brings back the STI as an electric car??

Old 07-29-2022, 11:37 AM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 239 Likes on 165 Posts
Yeah that picture looks amazing. One thing I miss about the old WRX's in the huge hood scoop from the inside POV. I know you can go aftermarket, I would. It reminds me of how cool it felt to drive inside a car with pop ups. Like some sort of fighter jet.
Old 07-29-2022, 12:07 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom
Yeah that picture looks amazing. One thing I miss about the old WRX's in the huge hood scoop from the inside POV. I know you can go aftermarket, I would. It reminds me of how cool it felt to drive inside a car with pop ups. Like some sort of fighter jet.
I remember that from my '98 Subaru 2.5RS- the huge hood scoop and the functional hood vents that actually opened like the rally car.

My current STI has a larger opening, but instead of a big scoop on top of the hood they just lowered the bottom of the scoop to work almost like a naca duct and greatly improve aero. Still does not look as cool from the driver's seat. The blue '98 RS with gold wheels got lots of go-fast bits over the years and eventually I used the hood scoop for the nitrous purge tube. That surprised a few people who wanted to drag race me.
Old 07-29-2022, 05:43 PM
RA081224
Banned

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
My car has been in various states of broken over the past month, so I've been driving around a family member's B.8.5 S5 and it's making me hate my car now lol. That DCT + Supercharger whine is something else. It's not the most reliable car though.
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Sorry, just saw this today and couldn't resist. My Brother-in-law just bought an Audi, and he raves about it
iCrap (07-30-2022)

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?