G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2022, 11:32 AM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by abrecos
Average car depreciate around 15-20% a year just do the math
Originally Posted by abrecos
I perfectly know what is it but is no way that car would retain 75% of its purchase price
Not an average car, just look at the prices of v2 CTS-Vs. If it's a manual and a wagon, low mileage ones are way over original MSRP. If it's just a manual, it will be around that 75% mark (obviously there are a number of factors that play into the price).

Originally Posted by Rochester
Took the dog for walkies and struck up a conversation with a guy pulling up his driveway in a 2006 Pontiac GTO 6MT.

16 year old car, simple and understated. Too understated, LOL. But I still love those cars.
Loved both of mine. Not quite the looker but I loved the interior and drivetrain.

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I just took a quick look at the car before it gets set up through service and was disappointed by some small things, but the good news is that skipping some features will save a significant amount of money. The color is "Black Raven" and unfortunately it is a plain gloss black- not metallic at all. The massaging seats only have one type of massage in the lower back with 3 settings. So I would not spend $2,600 over the sport seats with the suede inserts for that feature (I can easily save $2,600 here). The dark gray wheels look cool in motion, but are a bit plain to look at otherwise (Saves me $600 if I opt out- still a bit torn). The suede on the steering wheel looks really cheap (saves some more $$ lol). The car also feels a bit big to me (maybe just because I know it weighs 3,800 lbs?). It should be all set up and ready for me to drive tomorrow and hopefully it drives smaller than it feels. It also had a lot of settings, but they seem pretty straight forward.

On the plus side the radio sounds pretty good- nice improvement over the Bose in the ATS-V. The interior is also a nice upgrade over the previous generation and the digital dash is worlds better than the plastic fantastic dash in the ATS-V.

I never thought about flipping the car, but I get it at employee pricing which is a nice discount off of msrp. Maybe keep both cars for a little while and sell the one I like the least. I think the Blackwing would make me miss the Subaru in the snow. I had a lot of fun this winter with that car.
Sounds like a win/win situation.

You are right on the money about the car shrinking in size based on how it drives. The car did feel big initially, but because there is a lot of power along with great steering and handling it felt like a much smaller car after driving it for a short period. It was quite tail happy driving through roundabouts in the sportier settings of the stability control. Fortunately, it was completely controllable, but it does give me some concern for winter driving as the G37 was ok with snow tires, but my STI is glued to the road in the winter with LSD's at both ends. Much more fun to drive in the snow.

Honestly, that is what I am struggling with in trying to convince myself to get a Blackwing. The Blackwing is a much nicer and faster car and it would be much faster on track. However, I only do 2-3 track days/yr. in my most track-friendly years vs. 30+ days of driving sideways in the snow where the STI would excel. Two of my Cadillac stores are getting in 6 spd. manuals so hopefully one arrives unsold that I can drive to make a final decision.

Gold flecks? Does your wife's car look metallic? The Blackwing I looked at appeared to just be a gloss/piano black with no metallic flake in the paint.
The STi is much more fun in the snow but what if I told you you can have the same type of sideways fun in the BW in the dry?

If I keep 2 cars I would get a new Z as my second car. I have done the 2 car thing before and would really prefer to have one car that does it all- the swiss army knife of cars. The STI does a pretty good job of that.

Motorcycles are definitely faster. However, I lost a really good friend to a motorcycle accident so I swore to keep my fun on four wheels.

You are dead on about the "land of grid." I grew up in Janesville where we have things we like to call "corners" and "hills." They don't exist in Appleton, but there are some good twisty roads not too far away.
I don't think the Z would fulfill your driving expectation. I would guess you would go down the modification rabbit hole like you did with the G.

BTW. the gold accents on the STi look good!
Old 07-06-2022, 11:56 AM
RA081224
Banned

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
[QUOTE=RobC7;4312736]Not an average car, just look at the prices of v2 CTS-Vs. If it's a manual and a wagon, low mileage ones are way over original MSRP. If it's just a manual, it will be around that 75% mark (obviously there are a number of factors that play into the price).
QUOTE]

I was following the prices of the CTS-V cars for some time and up until late 2019 you could still get a low mileage manual version for the mid $40-$50K, now I'm seeing most of the V2 versions for $70K to over $100K. Even with the ridiculous dealer markup, the CT5-V Blackwing is only around $80K. Crazy times were in
Old 07-06-2022, 11:59 AM
RA081224
Banned

You are right on the money about the car shrinking in size based on how it drives. The car did feel big initially, but because there is a lot of power along with great steering and handling it felt like a much smaller car after driving it for a short period. It was quite tail happy driving through roundabouts in the sportier settings of the stability control. Fortunately, it was completely controllable, but it does give me some concern for winter driving as the G37 was ok with snow tires, but my STI is glued to the road in the winter with LSD's at both ends. Much more fun to drive in the snow.

Honestly, that is what I am struggling with in trying to convince myself to get a Blackwing. The Blackwing is a much nicer and faster car and it would be much faster on track. However, I only do 2-3 track days/yr. in my most track-friendly years vs. 30+ days of driving sideways in the snow where the STI would excel. Two of my Cadillac stores are getting in 6 spd. manuals so hopefully one arrives unsold that I can drive to make a final decision.

Gold flecks? Does your wife's car look metallic? The Blackwing I looked at appeared to just be a gloss/piano black with no metallic flake in the paint.
Not metallic like in the 70's but a more muted version. The paint changes color a bit with the angle of the sun from gold-ish black to just plain black
Old 07-06-2022, 12:04 PM
RA081224
Banned

Took the dog for walkies and struck up a conversation with a guy pulling up his driveway in a 2006 Pontiac GTO 6MT.

16 year old car, simple and understated. Too understated, LOL. But I still love those cars.
Still miss my ol Goat, although mine was a bit older than 16 years, maybe 56?
Old 07-08-2022, 04:15 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
fwiw i've been running wheel spacers for like 6 years now with no issues daily driven, but I am using the extended lug type and not the bolt on ones.
On a Subaru? It is the Subaru wheel bearings I am afraid of going to crap with track use. My WRX went through wheel bearings at a surprisingly rapid rate.

When you say "extended lug type" do you mean you got longer wheel studs to account for the threads normally covered up by the spacers?

Originally Posted by RobC7
The STi is much more fun in the snow but what if I told you you can have the same type of sideways fun in the BW in the dry?

I don't think the Z would fulfill your driving expectation. I would guess you would go down the modification rabbit hole like you did with the G.

BTW. the gold accents on the STi look good!
Thanks! I have had lots of sideways fun in the dry with RWD, but it is a lot more obvious with a lot more smoke and noise. It is also a lot harder to explain to a cop why you lost control compared to driving in the snow. lol

I think I would go down the modification rabbit hole with just about any car I have, but I don't think I would get a Z until my daughter is old enough to ride in it.

For me Blackwing vs. my STI is a tough comparison because the STI AWD is so good in the snow which ultimately makes it a lot more practical for a lot more driving days compared to a few track days a year where the Blackwing would really shine. The Blackwing is also a significant increase in price and I am struggling to justify another $25-$35k for better performance at 2-3 track days a year while I have a lot less fun in the snow for 3-5+ months straight.

The switch to Blackwing very recently got a bit more difficult as I just bought a Cobb Redline carbon fiber intake and Accessport (what were you saying earlier about modification rabbit hole? lol) for the STI. That woke the car up quite a bit where it does not feel slow to me anymore. Ironically, the very next day Cobb announced that they now have a "next gen" stage 2 package for my car with a new fuel system. Very interesting...

I still want to drive the Blackwing with a 6 spd. manual so fingers crossed the two stores in my dealer group that are supposed to get them later this month don't sell them first. But that is going to have to be a hell of a car to convince me. The A/T Blackwing was definitely built better than my car and it was fun and fast with a lot more power, but I did not feel like the steering, suspension, handling, etc. were much better than my car.

Originally Posted by Absinthe
Not metallic like in the 70's but a more muted version. The paint changes color a bit with the angle of the sun from gold-ish black to just plain black
Hopefully, I get a good look at that color in direct sunlight. It was partly cloudy the day I drove the Blackwing, but it just looked like a plain gloss black to me and the team lead at that store told me the Black Raven color was just a gloss black without metallic. I'll take another look.
Old 07-08-2022, 04:35 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
Oh, no not a subaru.. on the G. I didn't realize subaru wheel bearings were that bad. And yes, extended wheel studs 15mm longer
Old 07-08-2022, 05:56 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
Oh, no not a subaru.. on the G. I didn't realize subaru wheel bearings were that bad. And yes, extended wheel studs 15mm longer
I thought they were better on the STI with going from 5x100 on the WRX to 5x114.3 on the STI just like the G and bigger brakes to help dissipate heat on track, but I remember reading an article in Road and Track (maybe?) about buying used STI's and what to look out for and they said something to the effect of the wheel bearings being made out of cheese.

I did look into thicker spacers with the bolts attached, but worried about the original wheel stud nuts coming loose or the spacers moving around on the wheel studs and causing damage on track. I could get longer wheel studs (not a lot of fun to replace), but then I would probably need open lug nuts which look ok on race cars, but a bit silly on the street. Or is that what you are running? When I looked at a quality set of the thicker spacers they cost almost as much as 2 wheels with the correct offset that would also allow me to run wider wheels and tires so it is kind of a no brainer if I do get serious about track days.

Last edited by 4DRZ; 07-08-2022 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-17-2022, 08:41 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
2022 Audi RS e-tron GT

Four to five years ago, one of my friends traded in his STi for a Tesla Model S P100d, and his car was my first experience driving a Tesla. Damn good one, too, because the P100d was a full-sized rocket. Fast forward to this week, and he traded it in at our local Audi dealership for the only RS e-tron GT in the area. Well, the only one ever sold here at least. Then last night he brought it over to the house for some show & tell, and he let me take it on a long ride around town, winding backroads, hills, and highway. Here's a picture of it on my parking pad behind the house. Ignore the wheel gap... he raised the car to get up my driveway, because it can do that.

First up, as you can imagine, this is an expensive car. The e-tron is Audi’s line of EV’s, and most people might associate “e-tron” with their crossover. But the e-tron “GT” is their full-size sport sedan. And within that model, the “RS” is their top-of-line sport sedan. With the wheel and CF trim package, carbide brakes and 4-wheel steering, this car stickers over $150,000. Personally, I can’t wrap my head around owning a $150,000 car, and for that matter I can’t imagine him owning a car worth more than his little house, but he’s in his late 60’s, a somewhat reclusive widower, and it makes him happy. So... huzzah!

When he first mentioned he was interested in this car, he sent me some pics and I immediately dumped all over the baby blue color, and the unimaginative wheels. However, in person the color is totally different than any picture you can take. It’s more of a light, steel blue... grey actually. It’s hard to explain, but in person it’s gorgeous. (And it damn well better be.) The wheels however... meh. Don’t know why Audi thinks these are worth $4000 each, but again... meh.

The car overall is huge, with crazy wide tires. It’s wide, long and low. Or rather, it’s as low or high as you want it to be, with height adjustment. The headlights and taillights are freaking gorgeous at night, like jewelry, and again, they better be. The interior is a really rewarding place, with sport seats that seem pulled from a fighter jet, completely enveloping you in a soft, leather grip.

On the road, and in a straight line, full acceleration is frightening, just like his old Tesla. It’s the kind of scare like you’re falling out of control. Takes a few launches before you can manage the experience. I’ve never been skydiving, but... well, that’s where my mind goes.

What the e-tron GT does with exception that the Tesla was only pretty good at, is handing. 5000 pounds low to the ground, with AWD and four wheel steering and huge rolling rubber means this is a slot car. I pushed it a number of times and never once felt any slip or squeal. Pretty amazing.

Surprisingly, it doesn’t have that one-pedal braking feature... you have to use both, accelerator to go and brake pedal to stop. Also, Audi creates an audio and visceral feedback noise making this car sound like a spaceship inside and out. It’s not awful, but it’s not “normal” either, whatever normal is. This is not a normal car.

So, is the Audi RS e-tron GT a “next car” in this thread? LOL, no way, not in a million years. But it is an amazing full-sized sport sedan, and driving it like I did last night was an incredible experience. I think the closest comparison would be the Lexus LC 500 Sport Coupe, but with rear doors (and equally useless back seats.) Seriously, as huge as this car is, the rear seat area is claustrophobic and uncomfortable.

As Ferris said, “It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.”

The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (07-17-2022)
Old 07-17-2022, 11:45 AM
Selym
Registered Member

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Nice car.

I noticed a lot of manufacturers are equipping their cars with "directional" wheels. Are there "left side" and "right side" wheels on this Audi, or are all four the same (as is the case with Honda's and Volvo's "directional" wheels)?
Old 07-17-2022, 11:52 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
^^That would be a great road trip car...Once you figure out the charging logistics.
Old 07-17-2022, 12:55 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by Selym
Nice car.

I noticed a lot of manufacturers are equipping their cars with "directional" wheels. Are there "left side" and "right side" wheels on this Audi, or are all four the same (as is the case with Honda's and Volvo's "directional" wheels)?
I hear you on that. In fact, I'm particularly sensitive to it, because my Vossens have directional spokes, and they have a left-side/right-side bias, which I've always thought was pretty cool.

However, this ridiculously expensive Audi does not. The wheels on the passenger side sweep back, and the wheels on the drivers side sweep forward. (sigh)

Originally Posted by JSolo
^^That would be a great road trip car...Once you figure out the charging logistics.
Yes and no. Yes, obviously, it's a GT car and could eat up highway miles effortlessly. No, because the range is only 230 miles on a full charge.
Old 07-17-2022, 01:18 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
^^My stinger has these goofed up wheels too. Fortunately i'm not a wheel nut so these things don't really matter.... So long as they're round and true - the wheels that is. My only beef with them is the effort it takes to clean. Too many spokes.

230 miles will barely get your out of PRIL! I think a reasonable EV range should be in the 400-500mi range at least. Charging time under 10 min. Otherwise what's the point of this car... To race light to light?
The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (07-17-2022)
Old 07-17-2022, 04:28 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 1,073 Posts
Originally Posted by JSolo
... what's the point of this car... To race light to light?
The same reason anyone would spend $100k+ for a car.... "Look at me..."
Old 07-17-2022, 04:45 PM
Selym
Registered Member

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
The same reason anyone would spend $100k+ for a car.... "Look at me..."
Some people are gadget geeks, have the means, and aren't bothered or affected by an EV's disadvantages. I'm all for being free to chose. What I'm opposed to is mandates and subsidies.
The following 2 users liked this post by Selym:
abrecos (07-18-2022), Lego_Maniac (07-17-2022)
Old 07-17-2022, 05:56 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 1,073 Posts
I admit that statement came off a little "harsh." By no means do I begrudge anyone anything. I just lean a little bit more toward the "practical" side of the spectrum versus the "frivolous" side.

I totally agree in freedom to choose. I'll likely be in the ground pushing up daisies for the tree huggers before these EV's become mandatory and ICE's become banned.

Ah well, Cosė č la vita...

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?