G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2022, 12:09 PM
RA081224
Banned

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
At $6.00 per gallon, 12k miles per year, on a car that gets 15 mpg... that's $4800 per year in gas expenditures. I get that the price of gas can trigger an emotional reaction of helplessness for a lot of people, but if it triggers a Blackwing owner, then they're a wealthy idiot.
Seriously? I think you just described a lot of the Corvette/Porsche owners out there; however, my comment was towards perspective buyers. Obviously Cadillac knows the Blackwing line is for a niche market hence the ridiculous dealer added markup

Driven "properly" I doubt the Blackwing will even come close to 15 mpg's; probably closer to 10-12 but if its a fun drive, consider it the cost of enjoyment.
Old 06-23-2022, 03:53 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by Absinthe
Seriously? I think you just described a lot of the Corvette/Porsche owners out there; however, my comment was towards perspective buyers. Obviously Cadillac knows the Blackwing line is for a niche market hence the ridiculous dealer added markup

Driven "properly" I doubt the Blackwing will even come close to 15 mpg's; probably closer to 10-12 but if its a fun drive, consider it the cost of enjoyment.
I can definitely testify that neither gas mileage nor gas prices were a contributing factor when I purchased my Corvette C8 HTC Z51 last year. However, funny enough, out of the 7 cars we currently own it by far gets the best gas mileage of the bunch. My wife even calls it an "economy" car, since we are regularly able to get 30+ mpg on the highway in it. We just recently purchased a 2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 xRecon and were considering taking it on a trip through Nevada, Arizona and Utah over Memorial Day weekend, but decided to take the Vette instead due to the gas mileage and also the fact that the Vette is way more comfortable freeway cruiser than the Jeep. We ended up averaging well over 30 mpg for the entire 1200 mile trip, which also included several triple digit jaunts though the canyons between Arizona and Utah. The car only has an 18 gallon tank, but we were able to do the entire trip on just over 2 tanks! It's really amazing how fuel efficient some of the newer performance cars are. Coincidentally, we also own a 1991 Porsche and it is the second most fuel efficient car that we own.
The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (06-23-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 04:04 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

So while having my wife's car serviced I chatted a bit with one of the sales people. The dealer actually had both a CTS4-V and CTS5-V both in Blackwing versions on the sales floor. The bad news is they added $12,000 and $15,000 dealer markup to the cars. I wonder with gas over $6.00 a gallon how quickly the 5-V is going to fly off the showroom floor??
That seems like a pretty standard mark-up these days. The dealers out hear are asking similar, if not higher, markups for any of the Blackwings that they have on their lots. Most dealers out here are marking up nearly everything they have on their lots. We just recently purchased a 2022 Jeep Rubicon 392 and most of the dealers are asking $10k - $15K markups for those... with a couple of the dealers asking $20k - $25k over MSRP and they are still selling them. And they are also getting markups for other, more "standard" vehicles.. We have a friend that was trying to buy a new Genesis GV70 and the dealer wanted a $10k markup on that as well, so they ended up ordering one at MSRP, but will have to wait nearly half a year to get it. It's definitely a different automotive market that we are living in these days!
Old 06-23-2022, 05:26 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

Received 118 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
I can definitely testify that neither gas mileage nor gas prices were a contributing factor when I purchased my Corvette C8 HTC Z51 last year. However, funny enough, out of the 7 cars we currently own it by far gets the best gas mileage of the bunch. My wife even calls it an "economy" car, since we are regularly able to get 30+ mpg on the highway in it. We just recently purchased a 2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 xRecon and were considering taking it on a trip through Nevada, Arizona and Utah over Memorial Day weekend, but decided to take the Vette instead due to the gas mileage and also the fact that the Vette is way more comfortable freeway cruiser than the Jeep. We ended up averaging well over 30 mpg for the entire 1200 mile trip, which also included several triple digit jaunts though the canyons between Arizona and Utah. The car only has an 18 gallon tank, but we were able to do the entire trip on just over 2 tanks! It's really amazing how fuel efficient some of the newer performance cars are. Coincidentally, we also own a 1991 Porsche and it is the second most fuel efficient car that we own.
If a corvette gets better gas mileage than my G, i know what my next car will be ... lol
abrecos (06-23-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 05:49 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Originally Posted by TheDevilsG
If a corvette gets better gas mileage than my G, i know what my next car will be ... lol
After having my G tuned years ago I have been able to get over 30 mpg on the freeway. But only occasionally when I'm really judicious about using the happy pedal. 30+ mpg is a common occurrence in the Vette. It's was more aerodynamic than the G, relatively light, has an eight speed DCT (with a low, 0.329 ratio in 8th), and will comfortably cruise at 85+ mph in V4/4 cylinder mode.

Here's a pic of the gas mileage from a trip to Palm Springs where we averaged just about 31 mpg for the trip, and a portion of that drive was in stop and go traffic.

Lego_Maniac (06-23-2022)
Old 06-24-2022, 11:51 AM
RA081224
Banned

Originally Posted by TheDevilsG
.....and even though the Vette is far less comfortable to me, its a helluva lot more fun to drive.
Old 06-24-2022, 11:54 AM
RA081224
Banned

That seems like a pretty standard mark-up these days. The dealers out hear are asking similar, if not higher, markups for any of the Blackwings that they have on their lots. Most dealers out here are marking up nearly everything they have on their lots. We just recently purchased a 2022 Jeep Rubicon 392 and most of the dealers are asking $10k - $15K markups for those... with a couple of the dealers asking $20k - $25k over MSRP and they are still selling them. And they are also getting markups for other, more "standard" vehicles.. We have a friend that was trying to buy a new Genesis GV70 and the dealer wanted a $10k markup on that as well, so they ended up ordering one at MSRP, but will have to wait nearly half a year to get it. It's definitely a different automotive market that we are living in these days!
(Sigh) I'm hoping these circumstances calm a bit over the next 5 years. Might be a good time to get back into flipping cars
2GoRNot2G (06-24-2022)
Old 06-24-2022, 12:02 PM
RA081224
Banned

Congrats on your milage, I have not had similar experiences. Also keep in mind that fuel costs are often not the most costly thing on car ownership. When my wife worked at Bank of America Corporate, the vast majority of defaulted car loans were on expensive automobiles because people though that just because they could afford to buy the car, they could afford to own the car. I picked on Vettes and Porsches because they were the two standout brands at the time. Alas, now, that has come to affect nearly all brands and model equally.
Old 06-24-2022, 12:07 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
the vast majority of defaulted car loans were on expensive automobiles because people though that just because they could afford to buy the car, they could afford to own the car.
This. Lots of house-poor people in the same boat. Probably a lot of boat-poor people too.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
2GoRNot2G (06-24-2022), abrecos (06-24-2022)
Old 06-24-2022, 03:31 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

Received 118 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
This. Lots of house-poor people in the same boat. Probably a lot of boat-poor people too.
i have a solution for the boat poor people, combine the car and boat!

Old 06-24-2022, 03:31 PM
2.2Lude
Registered Member

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts
(Sigh) I'm hoping these circumstances calm a bit over the next 5 years. Might be a good time to get back into flipping cars

Its a good way to make some cash if your timing is good. A family member ordered two new Escalades for 95k each OTD mid/late 2021 and took delivery Feb/2022. Sold them both back to another Cadillac dealer for $115k each. The dealer promptly sold them for $125-$130k each.
You can't make this stuff up. Weird weird times indeed.
Old 06-25-2022, 05:11 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
I finally got my hands on the highly ranked Civic Type R, but was surprised by the results.

abrecos (06-25-2022)
Old 06-25-2022, 08:29 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
That one's modified right? there's no way the steering wheel comes like that, and all those red dash accents...
Old 06-27-2022, 01:36 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by iCrap
That one's modified right? there's no way the steering wheel comes like that, and all those red dash accents...
I thought the same thing, but looking back at road test photos of stock versions of this car the ugly red leather on the bottom of the steering wheel as well as all of the red and carbon trim on the dash is there. The carbon applique on the steering wheel was clearly aftermarket. I wonder if the fake carbon dash trim is really mismatched from the factory to the trim in the doors. Weird quality control issue if that is legit, but I am not surprised since the front doors have suede inserts and the back doors are fabric.
Old 06-28-2022, 12:25 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

One of our 5 Cadillac stores just got in a CT4-V Blackwing that is not sold!! Fortunately it is an A/T so my STI is safe for a little while, but they do have a 6spd. on the way. The car they have now should look similar to the one below (except for the red brake calipers and carbon fiber aero). I'm honestly just excited to see if the black is metallic, how the gray wheels look, and test out the massaging seats to see if they are worth it.

2GoRNot2G (06-28-2022)

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?