G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2022, 12:19 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

Received 118 Likes on 92 Posts
Honestly there quite a few of them in toronto, I've seen many with well over $20,000 in mods in them. From basic clean builds to full out time attack looking builds.

Ive seen atrocious builds and also gorgeous ones, it was a fully modded white one that first really tugged at my heart strings which was odd for me, because my integra was a bit of an in your face car in the 90s, and my G is very subtle and looks stock type build. Like with the G my taste matured and i like the.. it looks stock and surprise those who dare follow me onto an offramp 😈

Ive now caught myself wondering if ive suddenly changed paths again where with my next car my taste is going back to, Yea i love track and pushing my car to the limits and idc who knows

Its definitely a love or hate it car, but ive let go of the, Its not the old supra attitude and let myself judge it as its own car vs it having to be the beloved car from the 90s. I also do like bmws and if toyota was going to team up with anyone german to share a platform, im glad its bmw and not mercedes, audi, or vw. No one ever accused bmw of building a bad sports car lol.

But yes definitely a love or hate type car and i started off not liking it until i let my brain and others stop telling me to judge it as a 90s supra and just look at it as something different. And with a few cosmetic changes, extreme lowering, and full suspension upgrades i think i can definitely enjoy owning one some day. Im not quite ready to let the G go though, as im still in love with this car and its potential on the track has me enjoying the adrenaline and joy of driving a setup g37 around a track and pretending im micheal schumacher lol.
​​

So i now find myself having reverted from my innitial; Its not the supra! To wait a sec, im really starting to like this car and see a future build in my life. Its odd lol

Supra in my life for 2025/6? Only time will tell lol

Stephan Papadakas did a nice teardown of the motor before creating his 1000 hp build. Stating what he actually finds interesting about the motor and really doing a great breakdown of it.
The following users liked this post:
abrecos (06-20-2022)
Old 06-20-2022, 12:22 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
That could definitely happen, a car design that grows on me. I strongly disliked the Giulia when it first came out, and now I appreciate the looks whenever I see one.

Opinions should be flexible with age and exposure. Otherwise you turn into this guy, still trying to convince himself that a vinyl roof is cool.

Pssst... buy the Giulia
abrecos (06-20-2022)
Old 06-20-2022, 07:49 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Opinions should be flexible with age and exposure. Otherwise you turn into this guy, still trying to convince himself that a vinyl roof is cool.
Wait... so vinyl roofs aren't cool anymore? Damn! How am I supposed to keep up with all of you whippersnappers and your trends?

All kidding aside I think the Supra looks better in person from the rear and rear 3/4 view. I am not a fan of the front end. Hopefully the Nissan Z coming to market and probably helping to force Toyota's hand to make a manual transmission Supra, means that there will be some "competition to improve the breed" for both cars.
abrecos (06-20-2022)
Old 06-20-2022, 07:53 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Wait... so vinyl roofs aren't cool anymore? Damn! How am I supposed to keep up with all of you whippersnappers and your trends?

All kidding aside I think the Supra looks better in person from the rear and rear 3/4 view. I am not a fan of the front end. Hopefully the Nissan Z coming to market and probably helping to force Toyota's hand to make a manual transmission Supra, means that there will be some "competition to improve the breed" for both cars.
They ARE making a manual!

Last edited by TheDevilsG; 06-20-2022 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-21-2022, 09:30 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 1,073 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDevilsG
Pssst... buy the Giulia
If Alfa had actually delivered on the Giulia Coupe I would've definitely been interested. Unfortunately, it never made it past the concept stage. But, Alfa is on it's last legs it seems anyway, so...

All it needs now is a targa or sunroof option and I am sold.
Old 06-21-2022, 09:41 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
But, Alfa is on it's last legs it seems anyway, so...
Certainly feels that way. Their decades old reputation for unreliability has continued to this day. And their new compact SUV, the Tonale, has been pushed all the way out to Spring of 2023. And they've partnered with (shudder) Dodge for a USD version of the Tonale.

I wonder if people are going to call it the Toe Nail?
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
abrecos (06-21-2022), samuel1021 (06-22-2022)
Old 06-21-2022, 10:20 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 1,073 Posts
Nothing reliable has ever come from the auto industry in Italy. I remember way back (1969/1970) we had a Fiat coupe and that was a beast- when it wanted to actually run. Wiring/ electrical components were always a issue. Hell, it took almost 3 months just to get a wiper motor! The Italians can make fun cars, when they run... The only reason the exotics are so popular is that most owners will throw tons of good money into bad to maintain that "status symbol image."

I did not know that Alfa was teaming up with Dodge. Almost as bad as Chrysler owning Maserati... Oh well, not for me for sure and I'd do almost anything for a Gran Turismo Sport 'vert... then there's Aston Martin... (I better stop ).

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 06-21-2022 at 10:33 AM.
abrecos (06-21-2022)
Old 06-21-2022, 10:45 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
^^^
The 2023 Dodge Hornet. They brought back the Hornet nameplate as the car nobody asked for.
abrecos (06-21-2022)
Old 06-21-2022, 10:53 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I am aware which is why I said the new Z with its 6spd. probably forced Toyota's hand to bring out a manual. I hope that type of competition makes both cars better.

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S

I did not know that Alfa was teaming up with Dodge. Almost as bad as Chrysler owning Maserati... Oh well, not for me for sure and I'd do almost anything for a Gran Turismo Sport 'vert... then there's Aston Martin... (I better stop ).
Chrysler, Dodge, Alfa, Maserati, Fiat, etc. joined forces in 2014 as FCA and were rebranded last year as Stellantis when they joined Peugeot, Citroen, Opel, and Vauxhall.
Old 06-21-2022, 11:58 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
Saw a supra close up today (not super rare, but I parked next to this one). Still... nah. Curves in the wrong spots like a chubby person in a size 8 speedo (make OR female lol).

I say this as a chubby person myself - just not a good look. Same reason I don't wear polos any more.
The following 2 users liked this post by rotarymike:
2GoRNot2G (06-21-2022), abrecos (06-21-2022)
Old 06-21-2022, 11:59 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
Forget what it was specifically, but saw an Alfa 2 door in Europe last month that was like a Stelvio coupe. Kinda neat looking, reliability aside.
Old 06-21-2022, 03:16 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

i quite like the 4c but they are just so damn expensive. Id love a chance to drive one at the track to see how nimble this car is around corners.
i get lotus elise/exige vibes from this car.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheDevilsG:
abrecos (06-21-2022), ngolbuff (06-21-2022)
Old 06-21-2022, 03:29 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

[QUOTE=4DRZ;4312228]I am aware which is why I said the new Z with its 6spd. probably forced Toyota's hand to bring out a manual. I hope that type of competition makes both cars better.

The one thing (probably the only thing tbh) that i do like about the new z is the info the car gives you. Coolant temp/oil temp/rear diff temp/and more, available for one to have access to while doing laps right out of the factory.

That bluetooth hub/unit that motorvate is working on will give any of us that drive hard at the track all wonderful info (plus much more) at our fingertips without too much of an investment.

As for looks though, the new z doesnt do it for me. Maybe in time with some minor changes that car will age well.

I wasnt a fan of the 350 but the 370 with the wider rear quarters and revised headlights and tail lights made me quite like it. I keep hoping the 400z gets better looking over time as the last gen Zs did.

what did you end up buying after you sold your G?
Old 06-21-2022, 03:51 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

i quite like the 4c but they are just so damn expensive. Id love a chance to drive one at the track to see how nimble this car is around corners.
i get lotus elise/exige vibes from this car.
You're not wrong about the 4C. It's like a modern Elise built out of carbon fiber. The only problem is it only comes with an A/T. It is so low and wide in person. Looks great.

[QUOTE=TheDevilsG;4312236]
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I am aware which is why I said the new Z with its 6spd. probably forced Toyota's hand to bring out a manual. I hope that type of competition makes both cars better.

The one thing (probably the only thing tbh) that i do like about the new z is the info the car gives you. Coolant temp/oil temp/rear diff temp/and more, available for one to have access to while doing laps right out of the factory.

That bluetooth hub/unit that motorvate is working on will give any of us that drive hard at the track all wonderful info (plus much more) at our fingertips without too much of an investment.

As for looks though, the new z doesnt do it for me. Maybe in time with some minor changes that car will age well.

I wasnt a fan of the 350 but the 370 with the wider rear quarters and revised headlights and tail lights made me quite like it. I keep hoping the 400z gets better looking over time as the last gen Zs did.

what did you end up buying after you sold your G?
I dig the retro styling of the Z, but that is all up to personal preference. I think I would wait until my daughter is old enough to ride in it before getting another Z. (Hoping the eventual Nismo version is worth the wait.) I always liked the looks and handling of my 370Z, but it was lacking in power. The tuning potential of the new Z is insane! AMS in Chicago is planning on a few bolt ons and a tune to be at 500 hp and they already have a closed deck block capable of 1,000hp.

After the G, I went through 2 Jeep Gladiators and picked up a Subaru STI Type RA last Oct. that I have been slowly modifying.

That reminds me about the gauges in the Z. I was also happy to see proper temp gauges since they enlisted the help of some of their racing drivers in developing them. I recently replaced the entire stereo in my car and the "gauges" screen on my Alpine head unit has a ton of temp/tech gauges that would be perfect for track days. Ironically, I doubt I will track this car.
TheDevilsG (06-21-2022)
Old 06-21-2022, 04:18 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

Right on, so you are enjoying boost life right now. That has to be fun, i figured there was a sports car that came along after the G lol.

I have to wonder though, how long you will be able to resist reliving your track days? Ooooh maybe ill just go do a few laps this one time... Eh, it cant hurt to just go twice a year... screw it, this car is too much fun at the track to stop now

Anyhow, enjoy the new car man! 🍻

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?