G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2022, 12:44 PM
backman_66
Registered Member

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Not a bad idea there.. newer Infiniti with VR30 and 6MT swap, and 4 doors. HMMMM!
Old 05-25-2022, 02:08 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
I mean, the issues would be finding a pedal box and getting the ECU to behave, but...
Old 05-25-2022, 02:29 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Somebody say 6MT Supra???

Got my attention, lol.... if they brought back the Targa-top... done.
https://pressroom.toyota.com/toyota-...mics-for-2023/

The cognac leather looks awesome

Originally Posted by rotarymike
I think the unsung blessing here is that Nissan is mating a VR30 to a 6-speed manual... that opens the doors to a LOT of previous auto-only cars to have good things (I'm looking at you, Infiniti).
I'd jump ship in a heartbeat for a 6MT Q50 with the 400hp motor......
Old 05-25-2022, 08:18 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
The 6mt is the same cd009 the g and previous z use right? I bet it's just a matter of time until a vr30 ends up in a G. Im sure it'll happen.
Old 05-26-2022, 07:38 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Such a pretty picture. Man this car is tugging at my emotions. Going to have to test drive it (someday ), after which I either succumb or put it behind me.
Same thoughts about the car. I just have no idea when anyone will be able to test drive the new Z without buying it first. Somewhat fortunately, I need 4 doors at the moment, but maybe I would pick up a Nismo version of the Z in a few years.

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Somebody say 6MT Supra???

Got my attention, lol.... if they brought back the Targa-top... done.
The 6MT Supra is coming, probably mainly due to the new Z coming with a 6MT. I hope the Supra and Z both make each other better cars over the years through some friendly competition. However, the 400hp base Z is less expensive than the 4cyl. Supra right now. I know where my money would go.

Originally Posted by rotarymike
I think the unsung blessing here is that Nissan is mating a VR30 to a 6-speed manual... that opens the doors to a LOT of previous auto-only cars to have good things (I'm looking at you, Infiniti).
Exactly! As I was typing my last post about the new Z I thought the exact same thing and really missed my old G37S sedan for a solid 5 minutes.
The following users liked this post:
TheDevilsG (06-18-2022)
Old 05-26-2022, 09:21 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Since I mentioned my kid's new car a few times, here's the last time I'll talk about it, because really it's kind of a disposable car.

The Venue is small, but not so small as to be uncomfortable. Headroom is great, seats have weirdly good side bolster, 180° visibility is awesome, rear visibility kind of sucks. Mileage is amazing, but in trade off the car is painfully underpowered. The only pep to be had (such as it is with a 1.6L n/a engine) is to force the engine into the high revs in manual "shift" mode... which is fcked up because CVT, but that's what it does, you manually "shift" up the "gears". And god help me, but it's actually kind of fun to use. The technology in this little car is really incredible. The brakes are super twitchy.

All in all, it's a good car for an 18 year old girl who needs a car and has parents sick of her borrowing the family Subaru. She'll be taking it back to college with her in the Fall as a sophomore, and it will be good transport for her field hockey gear (because she's the goalie.)

$20,000 and change at MSRP. Freight, tax and title brings it to $24,000. My kid put $5,000 into it, we added $9,000 cash, and now we have a 3 year loan at 2.25% and $291/month. We can live with that, I suppose, on top of all the other college expenses going on with two kids away at university. We put her on the loan so that we're both on the title, and she can take 100% possession in a few years without jeopardizing the warranty. Plus with her on the loan, she's building a great credit history. Sadly, this is another $1,000 a year added to our car insurance. Four cars now.

So far, no regrets, but no way no how would I ever want this thing. It's my kid's car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
abrecos (05-29-2022), Lego_Maniac (05-27-2022)
Old 05-27-2022, 10:20 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

So far, no regrets, but no way no how would I ever want this thing. It's my kid's car.
So you are more of a Hyundai Kona type of guy? Actually, if anyone on here wanted a Hyundai suv it would probably be a Kona N. That car is surprisingly fun to drive for what it is- and this is coming from a guy who doesn't like suvs or A/T.
Old 05-27-2022, 10:57 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
So you are more of a Hyundai Kona type of guy? Actually, if anyone on here wanted a Hyundai suv it would probably be a Kona N. That car is surprisingly fun to drive for what it is- and this is coming from a guy who doesn't like suvs or A/T.
The Kona is far more interesting, no doubt. The SM at this dealership was driving a red Kona N. Sounded pretty aggressive, and looked like a freaking Hot Wheels car. Not my personal style, but the sport rims are very nice.

OK, this will sound silly, but you know what's a really nice detail? The chrome trunk badge has a gloss white inner design. Stupid thing to notice, but I find that detail really appealing.

Old 05-27-2022, 11:04 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
The only pep to be had (such as it is with a 1.6L n/a engine) is to force the engine into the high revs in manual "shift" mode... which is fcked up because CVT, but that's what it does, you manually "shift" up the "gears". And god help me, but it's actually kind of fun to use.
Manual shifting an 'automatic' car has sure progressed, hasn't it? I remember when Chrysler came out with auto-stick and made a big deal with it. Color me old, but I could live with flappy paddles, especially hitched up to a dual clutch transmission.

An additional plus is she'll finish up school with a decent enough car to get her started without having to worry about repairs on a beat up old junker.

Old 05-27-2022, 11:15 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
An additional plus is she'll finish up school with a decent enough car to get her started without having to worry about repairs on a beat up old junker.
Exactly!! I know in my head that "giving" your kid a car is stupid, stupid, stupid. But in my heart I'm thinking she's going to have something new and reliable and ridiculously safe, with a long warranty. When she graduates, her car will only be 3 to 4 years old, fully paid for and warrantied. I mean, she's already going to have to pay back student loans, and that's not chump change for a young adult. And on by putting her on the car loan, she'll start off her life with really good credit.

Besides, I'm not entirely giving it to her... she's putting in $5000 on the deal, which wipes out her current savings, and means she's going to be doing nothing but working her little butt off all summer long this year... which is a good thing. Keeps her focused and out of trouble.

It's hard being a parent, Lego.

On a more on-topic note... I saw my very first Ford Maverick yesterday, and by the looks of the wheels and whatnot, I think this was the top line trim. The Maverick is the first time a truck actually piqued my interest.
Lego_Maniac (05-27-2022)
Old 05-27-2022, 08:40 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Since I mentioned my kid's new car a few times, here's the last time I'll talk about it, because really it's kind of a disposable car.
OK, this will sound silly, but you know what's a really nice detail? The chrome trunk badge has a gloss white inner design. Stupid thing to notice, but I find that detail really appealing.

Will some moderator please ban Rochester for his constant misinformation on this site?

All kidding aside, that is the one nice detail on that totally "disposable car." The other cool Hyundai detail I have noticed on a trunk is the hidden trunk release within the Hyundai badge on the trunk of the Sonata. Very cool little detail.

The Kona N is definitely not a beautiful car which is part of the reason the "fun to drive" factor is so high. It is completely unexpected in that package.
Rochester (05-27-2022)
Old 05-28-2022, 07:32 PM
Selym
Registered Member

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Hyundai and Kia are building great cars these days. The Kia Stinger has piqued my interest.
Old 05-28-2022, 08:15 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
^^Mine is just about to roll over 4200 miles. Opted for the 4 cyl model. About the same usable power as stock g37. Supposedly 2023 MY (available soon) is the last year before they carry the model name over to some EV contraption.

Had the car now for almost 10 months. Still can't wrap my head around an automatic transmission or paddle shifters. Feels unnatural.
Old 05-28-2022, 10:44 PM
Selym
Registered Member

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
^^Mine is just about to roll over 4200 miles. Opted for the 4 cyl model. About the same usable power as stock g37. Supposedly 2023 MY (available soon) is the last year before they carry the model name over to some EV contraption.

Had the car now for almost 10 months. Still can't wrap my head around an automatic transmission or paddle shifters. Feels unnatural.
I can't wrap my mind around being forced into electric cars.

It isn't market demand, it's meddling and mandates.
2GoRNot2G (06-21-2022)
Old 05-28-2022, 10:56 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
^^Vote accordingly
The following 3 users liked this post by JSolo:
2GoRNot2G (06-21-2022), Lego_Maniac (05-29-2022), ngolbuff (05-28-2022)

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?