G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2022, 11:49 AM
AnotherVQ
Registered Member

Received 88 Likes on 73 Posts
but.. acceleration fun :<
The following users liked this post:
2GoRNot2G (05-05-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 11:49 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
You mean like buying a Miata? Sure.

(ducks)
Old 05-04-2022, 12:38 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
You mean like buying a Miata? Sure.

(ducks)
Well, the RF maybe. But I could never see myself owning a Vert. Just don't like open-air driving. Heck, I don't even like sun roofs, LOL.
Old 05-04-2022, 01:10 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

I'm not sure if there's still a hard top available for the cloth top cars. The RF looks amazing, but for me at the time it didn't allow top tether of a child seat (whereas the cloth top one does) so it was out of the running. Then... an extra $10k for the RF with no extra power... nope.

I guess living in the frozen north a convertible would be more of a hindrance than a pleasure - I get that. They *do* have heaters, though LOL.

I know the BRZ/FRS/88 is very well reviewed for handling, so that may be a better go to for a hard roof. There isn't much that can be done with that engine generation so you'd *have* to focus on that rather than the power LOL. But still... there aren't many choices of RWD small cars that can be had with a stick, which IMHO are hard requirements for a sports(y) car.
Old 05-04-2022, 01:17 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Has anybody here ever considered stepping back on power and prioritizing the overall driving experience with something like the BRZ?

It's certainly affordable, even fully loaded up with all the STi trim stuff (and short-shifter, and FSTB, and stuff). Small car, though. But not any more so than the new Z.
I'm in the same boat.

I really like the new BRZ/FRS. <2900 pounds, 228 horsepower. I know that as an enthusiast it's a minority opinion, but I don't need a 500 horsepower 11 second monster to run to the grocery store or rip up some back roads in. The overall driving experience is more important to me than bragging about how much power my car makes, or how quick it is 0-60. And while I'm sure that AT4 Blackwing or M3 is a fantastic driving experience, I have a real hard time justifying the cost.

I paid off the R this month. And my plan from almost 4 years ago, was to divert that money into savings for a down payment on a 3rd car. But in my new work from home world, and only driving a couple thousand miles a year, I'm instead throwing it towards my mortgage and thinking about getting a pool. Guess I've reached a point where another car just offers diminishing returns.

Old 05-04-2022, 01:35 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 1,072 Posts
...The RF looks amazing...
That car has been on my radar for quite a while. If only it was a full drop top...
...But still... there aren't many choices of RWD small cars that can be had with a stick, which IMHO are hard requirements for a sports(y) car.
And that list shrinks daily...

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 05-04-2022 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-04-2022, 02:11 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I'm in the same boat.

I really like the new BRZ/FRS. <2900 pounds, 228 horsepower. I know that as an enthusiast it's a minority opinion, but I don't need a 500 horsepower 11 second monster to run to the grocery store or rip up some back roads in. The overall driving experience is more important to me than bragging about how much power my car makes, or how quick it is 0-60. And while I'm sure that AT4 Blackwing or M3 is a fantastic driving experience, I have a real hard time justifying the cost.

I paid off the R this month. And my plan from almost 4 years ago, was to divert that money into savings for a down payment on a 3rd car. But in my new work from home world, and only driving a couple thousand miles a year, I'm instead throwing it towards my mortgage and thinking about getting a pool. Guess I've reached a point where another car just offers diminishing returns.
Sometimes it really does make me LOL how totally in sync our automotive values have become over the years.

Congrats on having a paid-in-full automobile that's still awesome and you still enjoy. It's a good feeling.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-04-2022 at 03:46 PM.
Lego_Maniac (05-04-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 02:32 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Right there with you guys. Wife's CX5 has been paid off for 2 years now, I've got about 9 months left on the G. We're at the point of considering if I get my convertible (there were some agreements made when I sold my RX7 turbo convertible), if she gets a new cuv, or some other options for allocating funds.

I'm waffling between a new Miata ragtop and building a track car. Spent the weekend at Road Atlanta so at the moment I'm missing my track FB and FC pretty badly... good weather this weekend and that might switch to the convertible LOL. Or I could really go big/go home and start building a replica GT40.

I'd like to do both but not sure I can actually build a track car in a reasonable time on my monthly individual discretionary funds - especially if I start competing in shooting sports again this summer. Only so many days...

At the track there were some Aston DB4s out there and a few Jag E-type race cars. Also a modern F-type which I think was Bill Elliot's personal car by where it was parked.
Old 05-04-2022, 04:21 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Originally Posted by AnotherVQ
I didn't know about the tuner issue with 2021+. Do you have any resources talking about this that you can link?

I'm considering the 10A.

From research I've done and just my general view on changing things greatly from orignial design and the general idea of introducing more and more points of failure I'm not too into anything but NA on the Mustang. Also, from research I've done it's safe to about 600 whp until you have to start doing engine builds and other things.

I have seen those wheel hop kits and was wondering how important those are. Thank you.
EPA regs. Newer cars' ECU calibrations are on lock down. Heard that directly from a Lund employee. I encourage you reach out/put in a ticket and ask what the MY 'cutoff' is.

So, the Gen 3 Coyote's Intake Manifold Runner Controls (IMRCs) can be finicky and throw codes after a tune. Common cure is to lock them in place in the open position; but worth consulting with your tuner before going that route. Port and DI make them a bit more complicated but they make more reliable power without injector upgrades (NA). For example, My Gen 2 Coyote required ID 1050X injectors to reach my power levels (port only). A Gen 3 only requires LU47s; a much cheaper injector ($250 vs. $1000+) and is just as reliable. Early MYs suffered from bores not being totally round which resulted in engine failure. 2019+ Coyote Gen 3s don't appear to have the same issue.

All depends on the fuel you're using. You're safe to 850-900whp on E85; Lund (Brandon) advised I keep it under 700 since I only have 93 available. If you're going NA, you'll never reach the limits of the motor and won't have any issues unless your tuner (if you don't go with Lund) gives you 30 degrees of timing and you rev it to the moon (8200+). If E85 is in your plans, look into a Fore Innovations return style fuel system. It's hands down the best on the market and will make things 10x easier vs. going with a budget kit.

Strongly suggest a stop the hop or BMR CB005. My car would bounce at stock levels so any additional power is scary and we know Mustangs have a tendency to get...rowdy.

Lastly, Mustang6G is absolute trash compared to this forum. If you want legit Coyote information, Alejandro Flores on Youtube is your ticket. He's a Lund tuner and has been in the Mustang game since the fox body glory days. He's rough around the edges but the information is priceless if you're new to the platform. I went in with ZERO knowledge and followed his advise to build my car to were it is. 5k+ miles on 9+PSI and two dyno sessions and the car is running perfect.

Here you go (NSFW - LANGUAGE):

He mentions it at the 37:20 mark.

Last edited by RMB5190; 05-04-2022 at 04:31 PM.
AnotherVQ (05-05-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 04:42 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
Interesting set of changes for the new Z:
https://www.motortrend.com/features/...rences-changes
The following 3 users liked this post by RobC7:
4DRZ (05-05-2022), AnotherVQ (05-05-2022), rotarymike (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 10:41 AM
AnotherVQ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RMB5190
EPA regs. Newer cars' ECU calibrations are on lock down. Heard that directly from a Lund employee. I encourage you reach out/put in a ticket and ask what the MY 'cutoff' is.

So, the Gen 3 Coyote's Intake Manifold Runner Controls (IMRCs) can be finicky and throw codes after a tune. Common cure is to lock them in place in the open position; but worth consulting with your tuner before going that route. Port and DI make them a bit more complicated but they make more reliable power without injector upgrades (NA). For example, My Gen 2 Coyote required ID 1050X injectors to reach my power levels (port only). A Gen 3 only requires LU47s; a much cheaper injector ($250 vs. $1000+) and is just as reliable. Early MYs suffered from bores not being totally round which resulted in engine failure. 2019+ Coyote Gen 3s don't appear to have the same issue.

All depends on the fuel you're using. You're safe to 850-900whp on E85; Lund (Brandon) advised I keep it under 700 since I only have 93 available. If you're going NA, you'll never reach the limits of the motor and won't have any issues unless your tuner (if you don't go with Lund) gives you 30 degrees of timing and you rev it to the moon (8200+). If E85 is in your plans, look into a Fore Innovations return style fuel system. It's hands down the best on the market and will make things 10x easier vs. going with a budget kit.

Strongly suggest a stop the hop or BMR CB005. My car would bounce at stock levels so any additional power is scary and we know Mustangs have a tendency to get...rowdy.

Lastly, Mustang6G is absolute trash compared to this forum. If you want legit Coyote information, Alejandro Flores on Youtube is your ticket. He's a Lund tuner and has been in the Mustang game since the fox body glory days. He's rough around the edges but the information is priceless if you're new to the platform. I went in with ZERO knowledge and followed his advise to build my car to were it is. 5k+ miles on 9+PSI and two dyno sessions and the car is running perfect.

Here you go (NSFW - LANGUAGE):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJLKFDBaegE

He mentions it at the 37:20 mark.
It's a shame the EPA hasn't been abolished prior to all these manufacturers saying they're going to make EVs.

From research I've done you don't need any fuel system modification to run E85 on the Mustang. What's going on with that?

I didn't intend on spending a ton of money modding the Mustang. Saving money is ironically one reason I want to buy a different car. It's a long story. But basically I was just going to do a few NA and visual mods and be done.

I was hoping for maybe 500 WHP. Considering this information, is it still useful to avoid 2021+?

Thanks
Old 05-05-2022, 04:09 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
For those of you who like hot hatches I did what now would be considered a "big" comparison test because no one has any cars on their lots. I even give a shout out to Lego at the start on the Golf R hp. Kind of a long video as do reviews and drives in all of the cars. Big surprise as to which car I pick as winner. lol

Old 05-05-2022, 04:10 PM
AnotherVQ
Registered Member

I found out today that there are already review videos and driving videos of the new z. I thought we had to wait till later this month but I guess that might have just been for the redline reviews. I was really tired when I read that post on Instagram so I probably misunderstood it.

So after work I intend on watching videos about the new z.
4DRZ (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 05:44 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by AnotherVQ
I found out today that there are already review videos and driving videos of the new z. I thought we had to wait till later this month but I guess that might have just been for the redline reviews. I was really tired when I read that post on Instagram so I probably misunderstood it.

So after work I intend on watching videos about the new z.
There are no review videos, they simply talk about the styling and features of the car. May 16th they will be able to share their impressions on the car.
2.2Lude (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 06:59 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by RobC7
Interesting set of changes for the new Z:
https://www.motortrend.com/features/...rences-changes
Oh man, it says all the right things, doesn't it?

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?