G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2022, 10:37 AM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts

I'll drop these for reference
Old 04-12-2022, 12:16 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by RobC7

I'll drop these for reference
I'd say blue or orange. What colour seatbelt/brakes would you do if you went with one of these colours?
Old 04-12-2022, 12:43 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Love that orange. I've always like the Chevy SS in that color.

I had my very first car painted orange 40 years ago.
The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (04-12-2022)
Old 04-12-2022, 01:59 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
So some serious 1st world problems here that could use the expert advice of car guys like you. I have a lead on a Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing and I am trying to figure out how to order the options if and when the order gets picked up. I like suede on my seats, steering wheel, etc, because of the temperature extremes we have here with our frigid winters and hot & humid summers.

So my first choice for seats is the upgraded sport seats with the suede inserts. My 2nd choice is actually the light gray quilted leather because it adds a massaging seat (nice!), A/C to the seats, suede headliner, and suede door inserts. The quilted leather also comes in black, which I think looks boring, but I could replace it with perforated suede inserts. The light gray leather looks cool, but I would probably be stuck with the leather because I think it would be impossible to match that color with suede insert replacements. And yes, I would get the suede steering wheel and suede shifter as well as the red seat belts. Thoughts?

1st choice is the suede inserts which I think look the best and provide the best grip as well as resistance to extreme heat & cold. They also save $2,500, but I give up the massaging seats which I think would be awesome, A/C seats (needed with leather), and a suede headliner and suede door inserts.

2nd choice is the light gray inserts which add the A/C seats, massaging seats, suede headliner, suede door inserts, and additional red trim that I think looks nice. The only bad thing is that if I decide to add custom suede inserts in the middle of the seat to add more grip and better extreme heat and cold resistance, I think this light gray color would be impossible to match.

3rd choice is the black quilted leather that turns the red trim on the seats above white, but otherwise has all the same benefits of the light gray seats above and it would be easier to match custom suede inserts if the heated and cooled seats do not kick in quick enough.
No brainer IMO. Light grey/white leather seats. The massaging feature may be nice to have, but I wouldn't own a car like this without ventilated seats. I also would NEVER buy a car with faux suede seats. It doesn't hold up well and just holds dirt, particularly on the steering wheel, plus it just looks super cheap IMO.
Old 04-12-2022, 02:14 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
I was thinking about going full electric, but I think I would rather have a hybrid. I love the thought of a SUV. From what I understand if you buy a RAV4 prime, you get a full tax credit. They are relatively fast but heavy. With the tax credit, it makes it around the same price as a Rav4 Hybrid. I also like the Hyundi Hybrid. I love the Tesla Model Y, but I have had 2 really bad years, where my stocks have lost most of their values. Every time I don't buy an energy stock, I regret it.
Old 04-12-2022, 05:59 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by RobC7
If you like the white seats that much, I think you should just go for it. I don't think I would be afraid of the white since I take extreme care of my cars. Have you considered the 'tan/brown' option?

I am surprised you don't want the Magnesium wheels, GM charges $600 for black wheels so upgrading to the magnesium set is only an extra $900. Seems like a no brainer to me. Also, CF is constantly on constraints so if you want to get a car sooner than later you may want to opt out of CF goodies.

I'm still some ways from taking the plunge on the CT5BW but thankfully 2023 is confirmed and GM will most likely keep building them through 2024 at the very least. My build at this time is as follows:
- CT5-V BW 6 Speed Manual
- Infrared Red (also considering Blaze Orange Metallic or Wave Metallic Blue - brake/seatbelt color would be changed if I consider these colors)
- Carbon Fiber 1 package (CF front splitter, fender deflectors, and raised rear spoiler)
- Red Brakes
- Red Seatbelts
- Suede steering wheel & shifter (roof & door card suede is standard)
- Upgraded Seats, all black with Suede backs
- Parking package
- Magnesium Wheels
I am definitely leaning toward the light gray seats because of the contrast and the additional read piping/stitching, but not excited about how hot leather is when you first get in during the summer and how cold it is in the winter. The tan interior is different, but not for me.

Unfortunately, they do not offer magnesium wheels on the CT4-V Blackwing like they do on the CT5. Those are "tech bronze alloy wheels" according to Cadillac. I am fine passing on $7k in carbon fiber aero bits for now.

Looks like we would be ordering similar options on our Caddys even though they are different models. I would also need the heads up display and Performance Data Recorder for track days, but maybe some of that is standard on the CT5?

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
No brainer IMO. Light grey/white leather seats. The massaging feature may be nice to have, but I wouldn't own a car like this without ventilated seats. I also would NEVER buy a car with faux suede seats. It doesn't hold up well and just holds dirt, particularly on the steering wheel, plus it just looks super cheap IMO.
I do think the light gray seats look the coolest and I am so down with massaging seats. I agree, leather has to be ventilated for me to consider it. I have suede inserts in my seats now and a suede steering wheel and it is by far my favorite. So much better at handling extreme temps than leather and much gripper in corners too.

Thanks for your input guys!
Old 04-13-2022, 12:13 PM
RA081224
Banned

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
I agree, but for some strange reason I am attracted to that light gray. Maybe just because it is so different. I can protect it with Auto Armor or replace it with black suede inserts at some point. But honestly, knowing me I will probably not keep it long enough to wear out the leather.
My wife and I had a earlier model Durango with the titanium interior. It aged pretty well and still looked almost new after seven years when we traded it in

I used Lexol on the leather and simulated bits
4DRZ (04-15-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 11:00 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Absinthe
My wife and I had a earlier model Durango with the titanium interior. It aged pretty well and still looked almost new after seven years when we traded it in

I used Lexol on the leather and simulated bits
Good to hear. I keep my cars really clean and if I got the light gray leather I would protect it with Auto Armor so I am not too worried about the upkeep. I have been trying to figure out if the massaging seats are worth having to get leather that is always too hot initially in the summer and initially too cold in the winter. I have been trying to find a Cadillac store that has at least one car of any model with the massaging seats so I can see if they are worth it. We have 4 Cadillac stores in our dealer group and none of them have a single vehicle with the massaging seats. Crazy times in the auto industry lately.
Old 04-15-2022, 11:17 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Crazy times in the auto industry lately.
You're not kidding.

Two days ago, the wife and I stopped in at a Hyundai dealership to scope out the Venue for the kid. They had only one Venue on the lot, and it was already sold, so all we could do is get hands-on, but not drive it. We were told they get anywhere from 10 to 20 cars in distribution every couple of weeks, across the entire model line, and "ordering" a car in a particular configuration wasn't in the cards at this point in time... they get what they get, and they can only see things 6 to 10 weeks out.

Then he said they were charging between $2000 and $4000 over MSRP. At that point, we just about choked and said, "We're going now, thank you." He quickly ran to his sales manager and returned telling us we were "in luck" because they would sell us one at MSRP as long as we were willing to wait two months.

Oh. My. God.

What a great little car, BTW. Perfect for a college student. We put down $500 refundable on an anticipated mid-June delivery. As for color... LOL. Choosing color wasn't an option either, and this one will be silver, take it or leave it.
Old 04-15-2022, 12:01 PM
RA081224
Banned

Good to hear. I keep my cars really clean and if I got the light gray leather I would protect it with Auto Armor so I am not too worried about the upkeep. I have been trying to figure out if the massaging seats are worth having to get leather that is always too hot initially in the summer and initially too cold in the winter. I have been trying to find a Cadillac store that has at least one car of any model with the massaging seats so I can see if they are worth it. We have 4 Cadillac stores in our dealer group and none of them have a single vehicle with the massaging seats. Crazy times in the auto industry lately.
I perused one with massaging seats the other day, it was white on white so definitely not my thing but while the seat itself was comfortable, the massaging action was as lame as the GM version of cooled seats. They make you pay a lot of $$ to get a package that only contains one item you want but pay for all three or four
Old 04-15-2022, 12:04 PM
RA081224
Banned

Originally Posted by Rochester
You're not kidding.

Two days ago, the wife and I stopped in at a Hyundai dealership to scope out the Venue for the kid. They had only one Venue on the lot, and it was already sold, so all we could do is get hands-on, but not drive it. We were told they get anywhere from 10 to 20 cars in distribution every couple of weeks, across the entire model line, and "ordering" a car in a particular configuration wasn't in the cards at this point in time... they get what they get, and they can only see things 6 to 10 weeks out.

Then he said they were charging between $2000 and $4000 over MSRP. At that point, we just about choked and said, "We're going now, thank you." He quickly ran to his sales manager and returned telling us we were "in luck" because they would sell us one at MSRP as long as we were willing to wait two months.

Oh. My. God.

What a great little car, BTW. Perfect for a college student. We put down $500 refundable on an anticipated mid-June delivery. As for color... LOL. Choosing color wasn't an option either, and this one will be silver, take it or leave it.
I don't play these pissy little games with car salesman, which is why I'm not in the buying mood these days. Luckily, I'm not in need of a car, new or otherwise
Old 04-15-2022, 12:40 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
^^It's part of the process these days. I walked out of 5 dealerships when shopping last summer. One was for a sonata N - we were about $750 apart. That $750 was over msrp. Told the sales guy, not happening. Was just about ready to give up when came across the dealer some 60 miles away that had a stinger and was actually selling below msrp (~7% below). They gave me jack for my trade in so that had to be a separate transaction with carmax.

The whole motivating factor was the high trade in for the existing car. Under normal times I would have never considered it. The existing car ('15 accord exl) had low miles, excellent cosmetic/mechanical condition. Needed nothing but oil changes and an upcoming cvt service.
Old 04-15-2022, 06:16 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
You're not kidding.

Oh. My. God.

$2,000-$4,000 over MSRP for a Venue!?! That's insane. MSRP is not too bad for a Venue since they don't have much markup to begin with. At least they have one coming in relatively soon.

Originally Posted by Absinthe
I perused one with massaging seats the other day, it was white on white so definitely not my thing but while the seat itself was comfortable, the massaging action was as lame as the GM version of cooled seats. They make you pay a lot of $$ to get a package that only contains one item you want but pay for all three or four
Good to know. As I look at the pictures of the 3 interior options, I keep leaning toward the black seats with the black suede inserts. If the massage option is not that great, then I see no reason to spend the extra money and have to deal with all of the downsides of leather. Thanks for the info.

Old 04-16-2022, 09:37 PM
RA081224
Banned

Good to know. As I look at the pictures of the 3 interior options, I keep leaning toward the black seats with the black suede inserts. If the massage option is not that great, then I see no reason to spend the extra money and have to deal with all of the downsides of leather. Thanks for the info.
Another thing to consider is those suede inserts will help keep your butt from creeping up the door panels during those high-g maneuvers. As much as I love leather seating surfaces, if your gonna drive hard, there's no replacement from solid butt alignment. Unless you retro fit the car to use a full harness of course
rotarymike (04-18-2022)
Old 04-18-2022, 01:21 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
You'd be amazed how much better planted you'd be with a 5 or 6 point harness LOL. Until I drove one on track, I thought between knee/thigh pads on the door/center console and pre-locking the seat belt I was securely installed in the car. NOOOOPE.

Having said that - my biggest problem with Cadillac is... it's a GM, ultimately. BTDT and not interested in that goat rope again. Shame though - they look sharp.

I know this is just a mental bias, because when I see Jaguar sedans on the road I go 'hmmm' and if anything those are a right nightmare compared to GM.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?