G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 08:58 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
You guys bring up some good points about my STI Type RA. It is certainly rare, but it was someone else's low mileage daily driver before it became mine. So at 23,000 miles and almost 4 years old it is not exactly a "collectible" in my eyes. Only the future will tell if I am wrong, but I believe life is too short to keep a car this good to drive in the wrapper all its life.

This car was built to be driven and enjoyed so that's exactly what I will do- enjoy every minute of driving. However, due partly to the rarity and mostly to the fact that I think it would be better on a short technical track than my local Road America, I very likely will never track it. If I do decide to track it in the future, just know that taking a car to a track day does not automatically mean you are beating on the car (unless you are not a very skilled driver). Quite the opposite. It usually reveals weaknesses in the car and gives you a chance to upgrade to better parts which make it perform better and even more enjoyable to drive. That being said, I will still take extremely good care of it and make sure it looks like new as long as I own it- just like my G37.

EDIT: Wow, re-reading what I wrote yesterday it is readily apparent what effect 3 days of very little sleep and a super busy and stressful last week of work will have. Now the above post should be a bit more readable.

Last edited by 4DRZ; 01-01-2022 at 10:40 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 4DRZ:
ngolbuff (12-30-2021), Rochester (12-31-2021), rotarymike (12-31-2021)
Old 12-30-2021, 09:14 PM
Bionicman
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
You guys bring up some good points about my STI Type RA. It is certainly rare, but it was someone else's low mileage daily driver before it became mine so at 23,000 miles being 4 years old it is not exactly a collectible. I bought this purist driver's car to be driven and that's what I will do with it- enjoy every minute of driving. However, due to the rarity and the fact that I think it would be good on a short technical track and not my local Road America, I very likely will never track it.

Like all my cars I take will take extremely good care of it. It will always look like new as long as I own it- just like my G37. Also, taking a car to a track day does not automatically mean you are beating on the car (unless you are a terrible driver). Quite the opposite. It usually reveals weaknesses in the car and gives you a chance to upgrade to better parts to make it even more enjoyable to drive and better performing.
Well, it sounds like you have a plan, I wish you the best with the car!
The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (01-01-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 04:36 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
My buddy used to own a STI, and I remember one afternoon we tried counting all the places on the car badged with "STi". We lost count, LOL.

What a fantastic car. Looking forward to reading all the driving comments the OP will come up with.
I finally remembered this comment and actually got around to counting all of the STI badges on the car for you when I got bored today. lol There are 15 outside and 10 inside for a total of 25!?! Fortunately, only 4 on the outside and 3 on the inside are bright and noticeable so it is not nearly as bad as it sounds. (Most of them are pretty subtle.) With the winter rims I am down to 21 haha!

Speaking of winter, this car is so much better in the snow than the G it is not even funny. (And the G had much more hardcore snow tires.) It is almost like there is no snow on the ground. Scary good. I just got done replacing the shift lever to lower height and throw, added a nice weighted suede shift ****, and a suede shift boot to match the car a little better. Not even sure if I will replace the shifter bushings at this point since the throws are already nice and short. Actually, aside from eventually adding some more power, there is not much that needs to be modified on this car. It is a weird situation to be in for me. Still enjoying this car immensely almost 3 months in.

Rochester (01-16-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 04:54 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
^^You think it's the awd that makes the difference? As I understand it, that helps with going (maybe turning), but stopping is the same.
Old 01-16-2022, 05:14 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
STi STi STi STi STi
STi STi STi STi STi
STi STi STi STi STi
STi STi STi STi STi
STi STi STi STi STi
​​​​​​​

Must be a blast to drive in snow.​​​​​​​
Old 01-16-2022, 06:01 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jsolo
^^You think it's the awd that makes the difference? As I understand it, that helps with going (maybe turning), but stopping is the same.
Yes, 3 locking differentials with the ability to control how much power goes to each axle is huge for acceleration, sliding around corners, and coming out of corners. Stopping is also much improved with the 6 piston front calipers, but that is obviously not related to the AWD.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:31 AM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
The Z looks cooler the more I see it:
Facebook Post
Old 01-21-2022, 11:05 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
Agreed. Saw the yellow prototype at Z Nationals and it looked better than in pictures, but the blue one is just

The black track version render is pretty sweet too. This shape would look great in matte black.
Old 01-21-2022, 11:05 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
When does the Nismo Z get revealed?

Last edited by Rochester; 01-21-2022 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-21-2022, 11:13 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
Right...?
Old 01-21-2022, 11:26 AM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
At least 1 model year after.
rotarymike (01-21-2022)
Old 01-23-2022, 11:34 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Probably 3 years after they finally release the new Z. It still says "Spring 2022" on the website and there were lots of rumors that we could order them this month, but still nothing from Nissan. I have 8 of these pre-sold and would love to be able to start ordering them.
Old 01-23-2022, 11:42 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Will someone please buy this ultra-rare ATS-V with the track package (performance data recorder) and Carbon fiber package! This is the ultimate upgrade for the G37S sedan. I have been looking for this car for years and of course it becomes available within months of me getting my new Type RA. Then again, I am definitely digging having AWD again in this snow.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

Old 01-29-2022, 11:34 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RMB5190
@4DRZ not sure if you follow him at all but _Baderbuilt posted a video of a stock RA making 270/277 to the wheel. Cleaned up the fuel trims as it was apparently running pretty lean from factory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj0b4q87qGQ
Yeah, one of the Subaru guys led me down the wormhole of BB videos on the STI. It looks like this car really benefits from a simple off the shelf accessport map. It also looks like you can get some serious power out of this motor with turbo and fuel system upgrades.
Old 01-30-2022, 11:01 AM
abrecos
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Victory
The driving ability of most people on the road is, frankly, horrendous. Next time you're a passenger, take a look at other drivers on the highway. Half of them look like terrified cosmonaut monkeys being hurled through space on a machine they can scarcely comprehend, let alone pilot. Even simple stuff like the general size of ones own car seems to elude people. People in compact cars swinging wide turns like a tractor trailer or not thinking they can fit through spot large enough for 2 cars, not to mention the constant distracted driving. I got rear ended 2 weeks ago making a left hand turn because the second the line of traffic started moving forward the person behind me had their face burred in their phone (fortunately i was rolling so the impact speed was negligible)

I also had my state inspection today and, in 1 hour sitting in the waiting room, no less than 3 people came in with vehicles that had major safety issues that the owners were completely unaware of. "Ma'am, we can't do your oil change because it's all just going to leak out on to the floor." "sir, just pulling your car into the bay I could feel your front wheels shaking around. That needs to be fixed immediately." Blank stares.

And people ask why the US doesn't have an autobahn. Just what we need, a highway with no speed limit used by drivers in busted up hoopties who, by and large, can't figure out how to (or that they need to) check their tire pressure and don't realize (or care) that the left lane is for passing.
absolutely true you make me cry from laughing 😃
rotarymike (02-02-2022)

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?