G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 05:12 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Bionicman
Frankly, I find that a bit tough to believe. Without turning this into a reliability thread, I'll just say that in the last 18 months alone my 2012 G37xS has run into the below problems with less than 39k miles on it and never once visited a track or drag strip. I'd like to get into an Audi but reliability stories always held me back. That said, how much worse could it get?

- Total transmission failure, left me stranded
- Replacement transmission malfunctions constantly
- Transfer case went bad, required replacing
- Wheel bearing went bad, required replacing
- Catalytic converters failed, required replacing
- Low tone horn failed, required replacing
- Cup holder cover wouldn't stay closed, required replacing
- Roof drains clogged and flooded driver footwell (thank god for WeatherTech)
- Driver side sill plate stopped illuminating, required replacement
- Trunk randomly pops open (still haven't figured this one out)
- Bluetooth doesn't play well with phones, constantly disconnects mid-call
- Remote start doesn't function correctly, I start backing out of the driveway and the car turns off in gear and rolls out in the street
- Front struts are shot, need to be replaced in the near future
- A/T shifter occasionally can't be slid into gear despite depressing the button, the assembly needs to be replaced.
- Rattles galore I'm still chasing
- The clear coat peeling off the bumper of a vehicle of this age is just complete BS
Wow. That's amazing. Did you get it brand new?

Mine was purchased brand new, 0 miles and yeah, like I said literally 0 big issues. My interior has held up great and the paint is pretty damn good considering the age and mileage. And I drive it hard and its still doing fine.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:24 PM
Initial B
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Bionicman
Frankly, I find that a bit tough to believe. Without turning this into a reliability thread, I'll just say that in the last 18 months alone my 2012 G37xS has run into the below problems with less than 39k miles on it and never once visited a track or drag strip. I'd like to get into an Audi but reliability stories always held me back. That said, how much worse could it get?

I would be STUNNED if there's not an ugly history to this car before you purchased it. Odometer rollback as just the tip of the iceberg.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:02 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Initial B
I would be STUNNED if there's not an ugly history to this car before you purchased it. Odometer rollback as just the tip of the iceberg.
Agreed. I have had my '13 for just over 2 years and the only part that needed to be replaced was the starter as it would shriek at start up for a split second. His story makes me glad I have extended warranty just in case. Then again, all the transmission issues make me pretty glad I have a manual.

2 more reasons to consider a Mustang as a replacement- Ford recently announced they are bringing out a higher performance package for the GT to compete with the Camaro SS 1LE. Today I read that Rousch and Ford are bringing out a supercharger for their V8 to put it up to 700hp... with a warranty?!?
Old 11-04-2017, 10:18 PM
Bionicman
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
Wow. That's amazing. Did you get it brand new?

Mine was purchased brand new, 0 miles and yeah, like I said literally 0 big issues. My interior has held up great and the paint is pretty damn good considering the age and mileage. And I drive it hard and its still doing fine.
Like I said, I don't want to derail this thread. I'll simply say that I bought it used with an extended bumper to bumper warranty. (thank god) The local Infiniti dealer looked into the history of the vehicle when they started doling out thousands in warranty repairs and didn't come up with anything unusual. I'm the second owner and don't track or abuse the vehicle. I've read and heard a ton of nightmare stories about Nissan / Infiniti products, but my own experience has taken that to a new level. I'd love to go back to Honda / Acura, but they just don't produce a performance sedan or small SUV. The TLX and RDX are very comfortable vehicles, but don't have the performance I'm looking for.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:54 AM
mdigiorgio35
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
wonder if the previous owner just abused the crap out of it and didnt report anything/go to a reputable dealer...the fuel neck my old G25 was not a proper replacement and it never showed up or was reported...thankfully have a shop that doesnt lie to me...but yours is def a whole other level
Old 11-07-2017, 01:52 PM
Shekaar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My heart wants me back in an Evo X in a few years when I'm ready for another car. In my four years of owning one, I had more fun than I've ever had in a car. Plus the reliability of the 4B11T even at over double the factory output was astonishing. Loved my EFR 7163 stock motor X.

However, my brain tells me another story. Something on the luxury sports sedan side of the spectrum. Not sure I could go back to the Spartan interior and rough ride of the X after driving the G for a few years! I'll be looking at a Chevy SS, Ford SHO, or maybe even an ATS-V if the wife will allow it lol. All can be potentially great values when buying used!
Old 11-07-2017, 03:35 PM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
Sometimes I do kind of want something more spartan, just to save weight. I still have an 8th gen Civic I've been prepping to sell, and I think I could live with it if it had

- 2x the horsepower
- working A/C that worked
- a decent stereo
- a little more sound insulation

I almost want to turbocharge it and maybe sell the G but that's just irresponsible. I need a reliable DD, and I want better gas mileage. Seriously considering selling both and getting a GTI
Old 11-07-2017, 03:56 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Shekaar
My heart wants me back in an Evo X in a few years when I'm ready for another car. In my four years of owning one, I had more fun than I've ever had in a car. Plus the reliability of the 4B11T even at over double the factory output was astonishing. Loved my EFR 7163 stock motor X.

However, my brain tells me another story. Something on the luxury sports sedan side of the spectrum. Not sure I could go back to the Spartan interior and rough ride of the X after driving the G for a few years! I'll be looking at a Chevy SS, Ford SHO, or maybe even an ATS-V if the wife will allow it lol. All can be potentially great values when buying used!
Almost eerie how similar of a situation I'm in. Evo X is very appealing but something about the Audi S lineup has always spoke to me. I love driving and having fun while I do it. I've never been a commodities and luxury kind of a guy. More my wife's thing. G was a great compromise for the both of us considering I wanted it in the first place .
Old 11-07-2017, 04:05 PM
Shekaar

Originally Posted by RMB5190
Almost eerie how similar of a situation I'm in. Evo X is very appealing but something about the Audi S lineup has always spoke to me. I love driving and having fun while I do it. I've never been a commodities and luxury kind of a guy. More my wife's thing. G was a great compromise for the both of us considering I wanted it in the first place .
Oh the Audi S lineup has always been intriguing to me, I just have always had reservations about reliability and ownership cost. I've never done the whole "luxury" thing until the G, but I actually do enjoy having some amenities to go along with a little performance!

The only thing I miss is 450 whp with the same gas mileage I'm getting with my stock G lol.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:06 PM
Shekaar

Originally Posted by future62
Sometimes I do kind of want something more spartan, just to save weight. I still have an 8th gen Civic I've been prepping to sell, and I think I could live with it if it had

- 2x the horsepower
- working A/C that worked
- a decent stereo
- a little more sound insulation

I almost want to turbocharge it and maybe sell the G but that's just irresponsible. I need a reliable DD, and I want better gas mileage. Seriously considering selling both and getting a GTI
The GTI would satisfy your requirements for sure! They're awesome cars, I just can't go back to FWD - even with a LSD.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:44 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
I just can't go back to FWD - even with a LSD.
Agreed. But I could go AWD

Old 11-07-2017, 07:42 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Got to admit, that does look appealing.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:51 PM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
FWD is OK with a mechanical LSD. That would be a must. It is nice to tighten the line on the G with a TCS-assisted throttle stab.... but in my Civic (and I imagine the GTI) I wouldn't need to tighten the line in the first place. R looks good but is just out of reach $$$ wise....
Old 11-08-2017, 12:02 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by RMB5190
I had an Evo X right before I got my G. Just go sit in one and take a long look at the interior before you pull the trigger.

I had the dash of my Evo carbon fiber wrapped and put suede inserts in the doors and had the material on the shift boot, armrest and e-brake and it still looked like a plastic playskool toy compared to the Infiniti.

Due to their relatively low production numbers and discontinuation, the Evo is also significantly more expensive than a similar G.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:54 AM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Agreed. But I could go AWD

We could make it RWD. Just remove the front drive shafts! RWD is a must at that point!

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?