G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2021, 03:06 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Where's the OP? He's had a month of seat time in that Subaru... plenty of opportunity to write about it.

Come on, @4DRZ !
Haha good timing! I was just thinking, "well, I haven't checked this thread in a while." I have been pretty busy with work, life, and definitely enjoying the new car. To be fair, I have only had it just over 2 weeks now, but I am thoroughly enjoying it.

Looking back, it is funny that I was never a huge fan of this generation STI. Fortunately, this car is the perfect example of a lot of small changes really adding up to completely change the car. A lot of small styling changes too that definitely add to the aggressive looks and I love that everything is functional. Not many cars can pull off gold wheels, but I think this one looks great with them. The fact they are forged BBS rims is a big bonus. I am sure they help the amazing steering and handling. I thought my G had good handling with super sticky tires and all the suspension and chassis mods, but this car is in another league. It is race car precise. Same thing with the brakes. I am sure it is due mostly to the enormous Brembo 6 piston front calipers, but you can nearly wiggle your little toe on the brake pedal and send your passenger through the front window if they are unbelted. An exaggeration? Sure, but seriously you hardly have to touch the brakes to come to an extremely quick and level stop. And can we all say a little "thank you" that they are not the ugly dayglo yellow like the regular STI these days? Getting back to some German parts- the Recaro seats are very good and I love the suede inserts and the fact they are heated. The Recaros I had in my Evo, and if I'm honest, the Sparcos in my G were a bit much for daily use. And I cannot wait to put the 3 locking differentials to good use in the snow. The carbon fiber roof and rear spoiler look awesome, but actually firm up the chassis (slightly lower the center of gravity) and increase downforce significantly. That rear wing is adjustable too.

No car is perfect, so I will probably lower the height of the shift ****, firm up a few bushings, and add a nice weighted **** to help smooth out the shifting. Fortunately, it is much easier to shift stock than my G. No need to replace the entire clutch assembly and I should be ok with the oem transmission, engine, and subframe mounts as well as the suspension. (My advice to always buy the top trim is finally paying off compared to my previous WRX and STI.) Really, the only thing left is to add some more power. With the different drive modes I think/hope I can stay entertained with the stock power levels for a while. Fortunately, this car has an exhaust that flows 50% better than a regular STI so tuning will save me about $2,000 on a down pipe and exhaust.

So far I have been picking out vanity plates since my local legendary track, Road America just made available their own plates. I also spent way too much time picking out another set of rims and some snow tires. Finally, I undercoated the few small exposed areas underneath with fluid film and tinted the windows. I could not believe how much of the underside is covered up with aerodynamic trays- almost like a GT-R. Also, how did the previous owner not tint the windows?

Mid tire swap to smaller 18" Enkei Raijin with a more aggressive offset that I think actually just widened the track by about 1.5 inches!?! Not bad for snow tires. The silver is growing on me.

I tried to keep the style similar to the factory BBS wheels. I have always loved the BBS mesh wheel design, but this is my first car in 26 years of (legal) driving to have them. Finally! Fun tip about these wheels- anything less than a 35 offset like I have and the spokes bend out way too far and look strange.

My store had a sale on these Hankook snow tires and the design reminds me of the legendary Nokian Hakkapeliitta tires. I wanted more of a performance snow tire with rounded edges this time around so I can still corner well without destroying the tread blocks like the really aggressive snow tires I had on my G to try to make up for the RWD. Should be awesome with AWD, two limited slip differentials and an active center differential.

The new wheels and snow tires with the finally tinted windows.

The following 4 users liked this post by 4DRZ:
Lego_Maniac (11-17-2021), ngolbuff (11-17-2021), Rochester (11-17-2021), woofersus (12-01-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 03:26 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
I like the silver over the gold. It just looks like it belongs.

I fully expect this Subby would exceed where you ended up with the G with respect to handling and braking and launch behavior. How about a rolling or highway launch? Which one in that scenario?
The following users liked this post:
ngolbuff (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 04:16 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I fully expect this Subby would exceed where you ended up with the G with respect to handling and braking and launch behavior. How about a rolling or highway launch? Which one in that scenario?
I'm an old school Subaru guy so I am ok with the gold and I think it looks good with black, but the silver is growing on me and definitely not as "boy racer" looking as the gold. They ride better since they are 18's with a slightly taller sidewall and the offset makes them quite a bit wider. Not much to complain about except for the Subaru diehards who will cry sacrilege because it is such a rare car. Oddly, the hyper silver wheel color almost matches the rotors perfectly which makes for a lot of silver with the calipers being the same color. It got me thinking about painting the calipers red and trying to find black brembo stickers- or even more rare- black calipers with red brembo stickers. (Now that you mentioned all the STI emblems I cannot unsee it. lol)

A stock G would get eaten alive by this car in pretty much any scenario, but my G with all of the mods would probably take the STI Type RA on a straightaway and sound a bit better doing it in the higher rpms. Fortunately, the Type RA is just a simple tune away from reversing that fate. This STI still sounds aggressive enough to let you know it means business, but fortunately not as obnoxious as most Subarus with aftermarket exhausts that you hear from blocks away. I guess you would say it is a more mature sounding performance car.
ngolbuff (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 08:09 PM
ngolbuff
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts

I agree with you, but the gold is a nice touch. I would barely call it gold as it is almost more of a light bronze. Its not a gaudy gold that slaps ya in the face, its a subtle gold that whispers "I am a mature Subby wheel"
4DRZ (11-18-2021)
Old 11-18-2021, 07:53 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Haha good timing! I was just thinking, "well, I haven't checked this thread in a while." I have been pretty busy with work, life, and definitely enjoying the new car. To be fair, I have only had it just over 2 weeks now, but I am thoroughly enjoying it.

Looking back, it is funny that I was never a huge fan of this generation STI. Fortunately, this car is the perfect example of a lot of small changes really adding up to completely change the car. A lot of small styling changes too that definitely add to the aggressive looks and I love that everything is functional. Not many cars can pull off gold wheels, but I think this one looks great with them. The fact they are forged BBS rims is a big bonus. I am sure they help the amazing steering and handling. I thought my G had good handling with super sticky tires and all the suspension and chassis mods, but this car is in another league. It is race car precise. Same thing with the brakes. I am sure it is due mostly to the enormous Brembo 6 piston front calipers, but you can nearly wiggle your little toe on the brake pedal and send your passenger through the front window if they are unbelted. An exaggeration? Sure, but seriously you hardly have to touch the brakes to come to an extremely quick and level stop. And can we all say a little "thank you" that they are not the ugly dayglo yellow like the regular STI these days? Getting back to some German parts- the Recaro seats are very good and I love the suede inserts and the fact they are heated. The Recaros I had in my Evo, and if I'm honest, the Sparcos in my G were a bit much for daily use. And I cannot wait to put the 3 locking differentials to good use in the snow. The carbon fiber roof and rear spoiler look awesome, but actually firm up the chassis (slightly lower the center of gravity) and increase downforce significantly. That rear wing is adjustable too.

No car is perfect, so I will probably lower the height of the shift ****, firm up a few bushings, and add a nice weighted **** to help smooth out the shifting. Fortunately, it is much easier to shift stock than my G. No need to replace the entire clutch assembly and I should be ok with the oem transmission, engine, and subframe mounts as well as the suspension. (My advice to always buy the top trim is finally paying off compared to my previous WRX and STI.) Really, the only thing left is to add some more power. With the different drive modes I think/hope I can stay entertained with the stock power levels for a while. Fortunately, this car has an exhaust that flows 50% better than a regular STI so tuning will save me about $2,000 on a down pipe and exhaust.

So far I have been picking out vanity plates since my local legendary track, Road America just made available their own plates. I also spent way too much time picking out another set of rims and some snow tires. Finally, I undercoated the few small exposed areas underneath with fluid film and tinted the windows. I could not believe how much of the underside is covered up with aerodynamic trays- almost like a GT-R. Also, how did the previous owner not tint the windows?

Mid tire swap to smaller 18" Enkei Raijin with a more aggressive offset that I think actually just widened the track by about 1.5 inches!?! Not bad for snow tires. The silver is growing on me.
Gotta admit, the engineers know a thing or two when they design a purpose built vehicle. You are not exaggerating about the 6 pot Brembos. I have a set on the Mustang and while its a heavier car, those brakes bite. I would've smacked my forehead on the steering wheel more than a few times learning to heel toe in that car if it weren't for a seatbelt...
4DRZ (11-18-2021)
Old 11-18-2021, 01:45 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
Glad you are enjoying the car. Gold wheels is the way to go, really completes the look of the car. I also agree with brakes should be red or black.
4DRZ (11-18-2021)
Old 11-18-2021, 05:31 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ngolbuff
I agree with you, but the gold is a nice touch. I would barely call it gold as it is almost more of a light bronze. Its not a gaudy gold that slaps ya in the face, its a subtle gold that whispers "I am a mature Subby wheel"
Haha! "Mature" It's like you know I am getting older. I agree with you guys on the gold. It just adds a touch more pop to the look of the car while reliving Subaru's glory days of WRC rally championships (they are doing amazing things is the U.S. currently). The silver wheels are nice too, but they just blend in a little too well. It must be the silver calipers.

RMB5190- You are exactly right about those brakes. They are seriously good, especially on this light of a car.
Old 12-06-2021, 11:54 AM
EcstaticG37XS
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Anyone think the new Hyundai Elantra N is good replacement for a G37X? This has been on my radar recently:

-2.0T with 286hp and 289tq
-LSD
-6 speed manual or DCT
-tech is up to date
-Around 3300 lbs
-$32, 925 for manual and $34,425 for DCT which includes destination charge.

What else can you get for this price NEW with this level of performance,tech, and 4 doors?

Old 12-06-2021, 01:10 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
The car looks good on paper (and probably drives well too.). I thought about waiting for this back in august when I got the stinger. The latter just seemed more practical. Sure it's a bit slower, but close enough. Also, the 2.5T is both port injection and direct, where as the elantra engine appears to direct only. Depending on one's needs, the N with the manual would be a fun car.
The following 2 users liked this post by JSolo:
EcstaticG37XS (12-06-2021), ngolbuff (12-07-2021)
Old 12-06-2021, 02:54 PM
Bionicman
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I think the Hyundai Sonata N, Hyundai Elantra N, and Kia K5 GT are all pretty intriguing vehicles for the money IF you can deal with FWD. Personally, I think you'd be frustrated with the lack of traction and driving dynamics coming from a G37x. Have you considered the Genesis G70 with the 2.0T?
Old 12-06-2021, 03:17 PM
backman_66
Registered Member

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Having an LSD is an immense help with FWD. I don't think it would be too bad with good tires, unless you're tuned and pushing over 300WHP.
Old 12-06-2021, 03:42 PM
EcstaticG37XS
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Bionicman
I think the Hyundai Sonata N, Hyundai Elantra N, and Kia K5 GT are all pretty intriguing vehicles for the money IF you can deal with FWD. Personally, I think you'd be frustrated with the lack of traction and driving dynamics coming from a G37x. Have you considered the Genesis G70 with the 2.0T?
For me a FWD performance orientated car is perfectly fine for my type of driving. The 2.0T G70 just doesn't interest me for whatever reason.
Old 12-06-2021, 03:51 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 274 Posts
The Hyundai Sonata N does look nice and is slightly quicker than the G37.
286hp and 289tq is a LOT of power for front wheel drive so I would expect a "lively" steering wheel and lots of understeer when powering out of a corner.

Take it for a spin and let us know

The following 2 users liked this post by SonicVQ:
Bionicman (12-06-2021), EcstaticG37XS (12-06-2021)
Old 12-06-2021, 03:54 PM
EcstaticG37XS
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SonicVQ
The Hyundai Sonata N does look nice and is slightly quicker than the G37.
286hp and 289tq is a LOT of power for front wheel drive so I would expect a "lively" steering wheel and lots of understeer when powering out of a corner.

Take it for a spin and let us know
Currently waiting for one to show up at a local dealer and see it in person
Old 12-06-2021, 03:55 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 274 Posts
Originally Posted by backman_66
Having an LSD is an immense help with FWD. I don't think it would be too bad with good tires, unless you're tuned and pushing over 300WHP.
My 91 NX-2000 and 95 Maxima both had a VLSD. It was so weird when you are powering out of a corner and due to the VLSD sending more torque to the outside wheel, the steering wheel would turn in MORE and you had to add some force to "un-turn" the wheel to stay on your intended course. ... or just wait for the understeer

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?