G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2021, 12:52 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
When you let off the gas to go and shift, the revs just sit there for a full 1-2 seconds before going back down. (I read this was for emissions). It makes it really hard to shift quickly and smoothly because the car ends up jerking violently when you do that. apparently its a known thing: https://www.reddit.com/r/WRX/comment...ang_questions/

Also i'm pretty sure you can just tune it out.
Weird, I did not notice it at all in the used one I drove the other day or any of the Subarus I had before. If the revs stay up, wouldn't that be a benefit when you shift so you don't have to blip the throttle? I'm sure I will tune it soon if it is an issue.

When you mentioned it being a hard car to shift because of this I immediately thought back to what a PITA it was to try to drive the G37S smoothly before I replaced the entire clutch assembly, shifter assembly, and all of the bushings in the driveline just to make it shift like a normal car. I will be looking forward to not having to do all that work again on the WRX, especially if it is just a tune away.

Originally Posted by Rochester
Interesting. Well, it's a safe bet 4DRZ will be modifying his new Subby, so problem solved.

Then again... updating the ECU on a brand new car might be problematic for the warranty.

Warrany, what warranty? Yes, that is a pretty safe bet, but my hope is that I keep thinking it is not track worthy so the mods don't get out of hand. (Fingers crossed and goes back to picking out new sets of wheels)

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I'm guessing 4DRZ already ordered an accessport and is looking for a tuner.
I don't know whatever would give you that idea. (I'm at least going to try to make it though the winter without tuning it.)
Old 10-26-2021, 07:44 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuckermaclain
My G was a really nice car. Lots of memories. I gave it to my sis in 2015 when I bought my next car. It was quicker than a Mustang GT with its Stillen SC kit. Visited last summer and drove it.l again. It is still a great car. Finally received my C8 convertible after waiting for almost 2 years. It is a wonderful car. I still have fond memories of my G though. If I were looking for something similar to it today, it would have to be a Genesis G70 or the Kia version. It’s just how I would imagine an updated G37.
Welcome to the C8 club, Tucker! I'm loving mine so far and very happy I went with the convertible over the coupe. What color did you end up getting?

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Since it is based on the same platform as the 370Z and there is still no back seat, I would guess that people up to about 6'4" or 6'5" could fit. I am 6'1" and have tons of room in a 370Z.

In other news I pulled the trigger on one of the last 2021 Subaru WRX's to be ordered and lucked out on a good color- Lapis blue, which is a dark metallic blue to replace the Jeep. It looks a lot like the dark metallic blue I had on my M3 that I really liked. I wanted a 4dr. for my daughter, stick shift, awd for the snow, turbo, and fold down rear seats. Not too many options, but I did not like the look of the 2022 WRX so I figured I would try to snag one of the last true analog driving experiences. Long story short, I got extremely lucky to find this car this late in the game. It should be here in Nov.

I would normally consider an STI, but it seems like Subaru spent all the time and effort on the WRX the last few years since it laps within one second of the STI. I don't believe either would be very competitive on the track and I don't like the big STI spoiler so I'll save the $10k. I'll take a close look at the new Golf R and I still hope the new STI is awesome, but I seriously have my doubts. This WRX should keep me entertained. I already ordered an ultra suede steering wheel from Subaru and now I am checking out rims. Let the mods begin!

Not the actual car, but I struggled to find a good picture where you could see how the color changes in the sunlight. I was all set on a metallic black WRX, but I am glad this color became available at the last minute.
Congrats on the new car, 4DRZ! But I am with iCrap and could never live with the terrible rev hang. My buddy bought one as a daily driver and is considering selling it just because of that issue. He let me drive it and I can't blame him for wanting to sell the car. Hopefully it's something that can be eliminated with a tune though. Unfortunately out here in CA it is difficult to change any of the ECU software anymore so it makes it even more difficult to tune and still pass emissions.

Old 10-30-2021, 01:05 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

That Subaru should be all kinds of fun. Definitely a driver's car, and will give you all the time in the world you need before finding that unicorn you're hoping to own someday.
The unicorn arrived a bit early- slight change of plans. One of our stores got in an STI Type RA. Extremely rare Subaru. They made 500 total for the U.S. and less than 100 in this color. Initially, I was not sure if I would want it, but the steering and handling on this car are absolutely amazing! Closest thing to a race car I have driven next to a 911 GT3RS. It does not look too different from a regular STI aside from the carbon roof, carbon spoiler, and forged BBS rims, but wow does it drive differently! Grip for days and it actually rides a touch smoother than the Infiniti did. Very happy and lucky to have found this car. The ultrasuede steering wheel is awesome!

The following 6 users liked this post by 4DRZ:
2GoRNot2G (11-02-2021), deep0542 (10-31-2021), iCrap (11-01-2021), Lego_Maniac (11-01-2021), ngolbuff (10-30-2021), Rochester (10-30-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-30-2021, 02:11 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Holy crap! Is that your new car?
Old 10-30-2021, 06:24 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Holy crap! Is that your new car?
Yessir! I just signed all the paperwork and traded in the Jeep. I have not been this excited about a new car in a long time.
The following users liked this post:
2GoRNot2G (11-02-2021)
Old 10-30-2021, 07:22 PM
ngolbuff
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts
Yessir! I just signed all the paperwork and traded in the Jeep. I have not been this excited about a new car in a long time.
Hoooo.............leeeeeeeeeeeeeeee............... ..Smokes. You have outdone yourself. Very sharp ride while still checking all your boxes. Looks like you will still need to buy a few 4DSC stickers for it though
4DRZ (11-02-2021)
Old 10-30-2021, 08:14 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 274 Posts
The unicorn arrived a bit early- slight change of plans. One of our stores got in an STI Type RA. Extremely rare Subaru. They made 500 total for the U.S. and less than 100 in this color. Initially, I was not sure if I would want it, but the steering and handling on this car are absolutely amazing! Closest thing to a race car I have driven next to a 911 GT3RS. It does not look too different from a regular STI aside from the carbon roof, carbon spoiler, and forged BBS rims, but wow does it drive differently! Grip for days and it actually rides a touch smoother than the Infiniti did. Very happy and lucky to have found this car. The ultrasuede steering wheel is awesome!
Very nice... That just may be the best STI Subaru ever made. I am envious!

4DRZ (11-02-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 10:04 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Congrats, and nice save. I was a little worried you were going WRX and not STI
4DRZ (11-02-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 10:11 AM
Rochester
Administrator

My buddy used to own a STI, and I remember one afternoon we tried counting all the places on the car badged with "STi". We lost count, LOL.

What a fantastic car. Looking forward to reading all the driving comments the OP will come up with.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
4DRZ (11-02-2021), ngolbuff (11-03-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 11:08 AM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
What a roller coaster of events 4DRZ. I didn't expect you to get a Gladiator and then you surprised us with the STi RA.

50k for an STi? Is it really worth the extra 13k premium? I wonder if you wanted to get back into a WRX because of nostalgia. I guess the car still feels 'raw' enough that makes it fun to drive but I feel like I can't get back into a 'boy racer'. I guess your main priority is track driving fun but I would have opted for a standard STi.

I don't think I understand it but regardless congrats on your purchase! Most importantly,
The following 2 users liked this post by RobC7:
4DRZ (11-02-2021), Lego_Maniac (11-01-2021)
Old 11-02-2021, 08:03 AM
Rochester
Administrator

IDK if any of you guys remember ShuuraRG here on the forum. He had a modified G37x Sedan, and attended the last two big meet-ups we had years ago. Anyway, Roger came into his Infiniti after getting hooked on cars with a Mazda Speed3. After a few years with the G, he got himself into a Nismo-Z 6MT, and had been obsessing over that car ever since. He and I connected as friends, and we've maintained contact over the years, even though he lives all the way out in Columbus, OH.

Well, last night he called me directly from the car dealership, crazy excited. I suspect he was looking for someone to talk him down, and while I think I gave him good advice while also being supportive, he went ahead and did what he was there to do, and bought a Jaguar F-Type Coupe. And not just any F-Type... he got the Type-R, with the 550 hp, supercharged V8.
The following 4 users liked this post by Rochester:
2GoRNot2G (11-02-2021), 4DRZ (11-02-2021), deep0542 (11-02-2021), ngolbuff (11-03-2021)
Old 11-02-2021, 09:24 AM
deep0542
Registered Member

Received 160 Likes on 108 Posts
@Rochester what an upgrade, going from a Nismo Z to a F-Type V8! I'm in Columbus myself, so I'll keep an eye out for that beauty on the road!
Old 11-02-2021, 09:29 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by deep0542
@Rochester what an upgrade, going from a Nismo Z to a F-Type V8! I'm in Columbus myself, so I'll keep an eye out for that beauty on the road!
It was some luxury used car lot called Toy Barn Cars. Lots of high-end vehicles. He went to look at one of the Coupes in their inventory when an older couple were coincidentally trading in their Type-R for an Aston Martin, and he snagged it same day. Perfect moment for the sales staff, I'm sure, LOL.

I'll toss up a pic or two when he sends them to me. I'm very happy for him, and even a little jealous. Although I genuinely think the Type-R in RWD-only is too much car, and would much rather have the lighter Type-S with a 6MT.
deep0542 (11-04-2021)
Old 11-02-2021, 01:03 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Congrats, and nice save. I was a little worried you were going WRX and not STI
I know, right? It did not seem quite right to me either so maybe the sudden arrival of this Type RA out of nowhere was a sign from the car gods to put me back on track. Honestly, I was fine with the WRX because I thought the color was cool and it seemed like Subaru had invested more effort into the WRX in recent years. I would still need to upgrade a few things, but I always do that. That is the one thing about this Type RA- not much to upgrade.

My buddy used to own a STI, and I remember one afternoon we tried counting all the places on the car badged with "STi". We lost count, LOL.

What a fantastic car. Looking forward to reading all the driving comments the OP will come up with.
I guess if you counted them all there would be a good number since they are on the wheels too, but hard to see when you drive and the ones on the seats are just lightly indented on the headrests so you only notice the one on the dash and the one on the steering wheel when you drive. The blacked out badges on the fenders look pretty cool to me.

I agree with your "fantastic car" comment. I remember when this car came out and thinking, "$50k for a Subaru with only 5 hp more? lol!" But this car is a perfect example of the sum of it's parts adding up x10. With the different gearing, intake, exhaust, tune, etc. it delivers the power so much differently. 310 hp is not very much anymore, but it feels so much faster than that and there is so much grip in corners that it would probably still absolutely embarrass just about anything else on the road even if it only had 150hp. And the steering... HOLY WOW IS IT AMAZING!

Originally Posted by RobC7
What a roller coaster of events 4DRZ. I didn't expect you to get a Gladiator and then you surprised us with the STi RA.

50k for an STi? Is it really worth the extra 13k premium? I wonder if you wanted to get back into a WRX because of nostalgia. I guess the car still feels 'raw' enough that makes it fun to drive but I feel like I can't get back into a 'boy racer'. I guess your main priority is track driving fun but I would have opted for a standard STi.

I don't think I understand it but regardless congrats on your purchase! Most importantly,
The Gladiator was an experiment to do a 180 in the car world and see if I could get into off-roading. I did a Jeep sponsored event at the Badlands course in the middle of nowhere Indiana and it was fun, but not really my thing.

I thought the same thing about a $50K STI when it first came out. Fortunately, I did not have to pay anything close to that. I really think our store that had it did not look it up correctly for pricing or know what it really was because they let me have it.

As I mentioned above, the car is a huge improvement over a stock STI in terms of performance. Its Lightning Lap time is just over 5.5 seconds faster than a regular STI. That is a huge difference and only about 1.5 seconds behind the uber expensive S209 which is probably mainly due to the extra power and wider and stickier tires- very easy upgrades. I also greatly prefer the look and performance of the carbon roof, carbon spoiler, forged BBS wheels, and silver Brembo calipers. Exclusivity is cool too. There are lots of STIs running around, but I have never seen another Type RA on the road. Less than 100 of these in the U.S. in black.

Oddly, I am not sure that I will ever track the car. I go to Road America a lot and the car would be awesome on the back twisty part of the track, but I feel it would get walked on the straights. It would be great on a bit smaller and more technical track, but for now I am having an absolute blast exploring the limits on curvy roads and roundabouts. I have had 3 Subarus before and none have been very good in the handling department without significant modification. This car is the exact opposite. Scalpel comes to mind.
Old 11-02-2021, 01:31 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
It was some luxury used car lot called Toy Barn Cars. Lots of high-end vehicles. He went to look at one of the Coupes in their inventory when an older couple were coincidentally trading in their Type-R for an Aston Martin, and he snagged it same day. Perfect moment for the sales staff, I'm sure, LOL.

I'll toss up a pic or two when he sends them to me. I'm very happy for him, and even a little jealous. Although I genuinely think the Type-R in RWD-only is too much car, and would much rather have the lighter Type-S with a 6MT.
I'm not sure if he will remember me, but please tell him congrats from me. He got the car from a great dealer. I'm very familiar with the Toy Barn from when I used to live in Ohio and even purchased an E36 M3 there myself years and years ago. I also had a friend purchase a 911 there and another one purchased a Lamborghini there and all were very happy with their purchases.

FYI... I think if you ever had the chance to drive a Type-R or even an SVR F-Type then you would probably change your opinion. When you're behind the wheel and can hear that beautiful V8 noise it definitely feels like a much more special car than the Type-S version.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2GoRNot2G:
Rochester (11-02-2021), woofersus (11-05-2021)

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?