G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2021, 06:25 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
This is kind of strange, and I have zero interest in ever owning a truck, however the new Ford Maverick is really appealing.
Very good chance that's my next vehicle in a year or two. Maverick XLT with the 2.0T, 4k tow package and XLT luxury package.
Old 10-24-2021, 12:35 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
Mav looks good and it checks a lot of boxes for our next car... but since it is a 'truck' it would be mine and not replace the wife's CX5. Still... she and I need to talk about that.
Old 10-25-2021, 07:13 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by woofersus
How was the headroom? Were you able to adjust the seat?
Since it is based on the same platform as the 370Z and there is still no back seat, I would guess that people up to about 6'4" or 6'5" could fit. I am 6'1" and have tons of room in a 370Z.

In other news I pulled the trigger on one of the last 2021 Subaru WRX's to be ordered and lucked out on a good color- Lapis blue, which is a dark metallic blue to replace the Jeep. It looks a lot like the dark metallic blue I had on my M3 that I really liked. I wanted a 4dr. for my daughter, stick shift, awd for the snow, turbo, and fold down rear seats. Not too many options, but I did not like the look of the 2022 WRX so I figured I would try to snag one of the last true analog driving experiences. Long story short, I got extremely lucky to find this car this late in the game. It should be here in Nov.

I would normally consider an STI, but it seems like Subaru spent all the time and effort on the WRX the last few years since it laps within one second of the STI. I don't believe either would be very competitive on the track and I don't like the big STI spoiler so I'll save the $10k. I'll take a close look at the new Golf R and I still hope the new STI is awesome, but I seriously have my doubts. This WRX should keep me entertained. I already ordered an ultra suede steering wheel from Subaru and now I am checking out rims. Let the mods begin!

Not the actual car, but I struggled to find a good picture where you could see how the color changes in the sunlight. I was all set on a metallic black WRX, but I am glad this color became available at the last minute.

The following 3 users liked this post by 4DRZ:
2GoRNot2G (10-26-2021), iCrap (10-25-2021), ngolbuff (10-25-2021)
Old 10-25-2021, 07:22 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
So my friend just got a 2021 WRX also and I drove it, it's a pretty fun car.... but WTF, the rev hang. I don't know how people deal with that. I was having a very hard time shifting the car quickly and smoothly. Other than that the car was really nice though.
Old 10-25-2021, 07:52 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
So my friend just got a 2021 WRX also and I drove it, it's a pretty fun car.... but WTF, the rev hang. I don't know how people deal with that. I was having a very hard time shifting the car quickly and smoothly. Other than that the car was really nice though.
What do you mean rev hang? I had a lot of fun shifting since I really miss having a manual transmission and I am curious to try mine with the factory short shift kit once it gets built.

I drove a used WRX we had the other day and I was shocked how much better it was in corners and transitions than the Mazda 3 Turbo. I like the style and Bose stereo in the Mazda much better, but those things are easier to change than a transmission and weight distribution.
Old 10-26-2021, 07:37 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
That Subaru should be all kinds of fun. Definitely a driver's car, and will give you all the time in the world you need before finding that unicorn you're hoping to own someday.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
4DRZ (10-26-2021), Lego_Maniac (10-26-2021)
Old 10-26-2021, 08:12 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
The 2014 I had wasn't bad. Good amount of interior space, great handling and the wide body looked great IMO. Decent car but the rough ride and spartan interior wore me down. Started showing signs of reliability issues so I parted ways; this was the old EJ though. FA is supposed to be a more reliable powertrain and the 5 speed in them was drastically improved over the previous WRX iterations (so I read). Price to mod them was surprisingly pricey. Made the right choice grabbing this one....the new ones are God awful looking.
The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (10-26-2021)
Old 10-26-2021, 08:41 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Since it is based on the same platform as the 370Z and there is still no back seat, I would guess that people up to about 6'4" or 6'5" could fit. I am 6'1" and have tons of room in a 370Z.

In other news I pulled the trigger on one of the last 2021 Subaru WRX's to be ordered and lucked out on a good color- Lapis blue, which is a dark metallic blue to replace the Jeep. It looks a lot like the dark metallic blue I had on my M3 that I really liked. I wanted a 4dr. for my daughter, stick shift, awd for the snow, turbo, and fold down rear seats. Not too many options, but I did not like the look of the 2022 WRX so I figured I would try to snag one of the last true analog driving experiences. Long story short, I got extremely lucky to find this car this late in the game. It should be here in Nov.

I would normally consider an STI, but it seems like Subaru spent all the time and effort on the WRX the last few years since it laps within one second of the STI. I don't believe either would be very competitive on the track and I don't like the big STI spoiler so I'll save the $10k. I'll take a close look at the new Golf R and I still hope the new STI is awesome, but I seriously have my doubts. This WRX should keep me entertained. I already ordered an ultra suede steering wheel from Subaru and now I am checking out rims. Let the mods begin!

Not the actual car, but I struggled to find a good picture where you could see how the color changes in the sunlight. I was all set on a metallic black WRX, but I am glad this color became available at the last minute.
Congrats. Did you get the performance package that adds the Brembo brakes? How long until you go stage 1

Rev hang was horrible, I would have went STi just to avoid that, but I'm pretty sure tuning the car will get rid of it.

That Subaru should be all kinds of fun. Definitely a driver's car, and will give you all the time in the world you need before finding that unicorn you're hoping to own someday.
Unicorn is an appropriate description
Old 10-26-2021, 09:38 AM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
What do you mean rev hang? I had a lot of fun shifting since I really miss having a manual transmission and I am curious to try mine with the factory short shift kit once it gets built.

I drove a used WRX we had the other day and I was shocked how much better it was in corners and transitions than the Mazda 3 Turbo. I like the style and Bose stereo in the Mazda much better, but those things are easier to change than a transmission and weight distribution.
When you let off the gas to go and shift, the revs just sit there for a full 1-2 seconds before going back down. (I read this was for emissions). It makes it really hard to shift quickly and smoothly because the car ends up jerking violently when you do that. apparently its a known thing: https://www.reddit.com/r/WRX/comment...ang_questions/

Also i'm pretty sure you can just tune it out.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:11 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
When you let off the gas to go and shift, the revs just sit there for a full 1-2 seconds before going back down. (I read this was for emissions). It makes it really hard to shift quickly and smoothly because the car ends up jerking violently when you do that. apparently its a known thing: https://www.reddit.com/r/WRX/comment...ang_questions/

It's also why you hear them "powershifting" many times. You can clearly tell between a tuned car vs factory when they shift.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:18 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Oh wow, that would drive me absolutely nuts.

Been 4 or 5 years since I last drove a WRX (STI), and I don't recall anything like that.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:27 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Yeah, it's emissions related. GTIs have it too.

Oh wow, that would drive me absolutely nuts.

Been 4 or 5 years since I last drove a WRX (STI), and I don't recall anything like that.
For whatever reason, the STI (and R, in the VW world) aren't as affected by it. Perhaps because they have more aggressive tunes?
Old 10-26-2021, 10:39 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
For whatever reason, the STI (and R, in the VW world) aren't as affected by it. Perhaps because they have more aggressive tunes?
Interesting. Well, it's a safe bet 4DRZ will be modifying his new Subby, so problem solved.

Then again... updating the ECU on a brand new car might be problematic for the warranty.

The following users liked this post:
ngolbuff (10-26-2021)
Old 10-26-2021, 11:10 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Interesting. Well, it's a safe bet 4DRZ will be modifying his new Subby, so problem solved.

Then again... updating the ECU on a brand new car might be problematic for the warranty.

I'm guessing 4DRZ already ordered an accessport and is looking for a tuner.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:00 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
The following 4 users liked this post by RobC7:
2GoRNot2G (10-26-2021), 4DRZ (10-26-2021), Lego_Maniac (10-26-2021), Rochester (10-26-2021)

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?