G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2021, 02:30 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Assuming you have the means, and it sure seems like you do, then I think you should step back from this all-in-one approach to car enthusiasm. It might have made sense 5 to 10 years ago, but at this point in your life you don't have to be constrained by it, particularly when your automotive values dip into the extremes at opposite ends of the spectrum. Blah blah blah... That means two cars, 4DRZ. You need two cars. Or three, assuming the wife has her own car too.

1. Nissan Z as your personal commuter and 3-season track toy. Meaning, buy a set of track wheels and tires, install a hitch and get a small trailer.
2. Something luxurious and rewarding for family driving, all year round. I know you liked that GV80.

That doesn't mean the Z has to transform into a modified beastie the way you did with your G. And that doesn't mean the family driver needs to be boring. But I'm relatively sure after reading you here for the last 4 years that this is pretty sound advice.
Thanks for giving it some thought, but I would much rather have a fun vehicle to drive 100% of the time and the GV80 is not my idea of fun. Maybe you meant the G70 sedan- that was pretty fun to drive. My wife already has an suv and she will be commuting all the way to Chicago and staying there for 3 days a week for her new job so I will need something I can haul my daughter around in. The Z is tough for me because we like to go for rides in fun cars as a family. My daughter randomly wants to ride in either of our cars so it will be tough telling her she cannot ride in the Z for another 10 years or so. As fun as a new Z would be, it is by far the least practical and most expensive option as it will require me to purchase another car for daily driving that won't be nearly as fun to drive for half the year.

So as I think more about it, having one really good 4dr. performance car idea is really starting to appeal to me again like it did with the G. It is just becoming more difficult to find that option, especially with AWD and a stick shift. For the record, I have been on this site over 6 years now, it just seems like only 4 because all of my posts are so entertaining. (Tongue firmly planted in cheek.)

Last edited by 4DRZ; 10-01-2021 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-01-2021, 02:58 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Well, all I can do is surmise based on what I've read, and then project my own values into advice. Seems you're solid on wanting to have fun driving 100% of the time, irrespective of track or groceries... which is do-able in one vehicle, but like you said your options are really slim when researching new cars. I suspect the Caddy would satisfy, if there were one to be had.

GV80, G80, GV70, G70... all good options. Genesis is crushing it, IMO. They're new GV60 EV is quite the looker.

Oh I know that you've been around for a long time, but this thread is 4 years old is all.
Old 10-02-2021, 04:50 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
My excuse has always been that the hardcore track toy (when I had one) was old and therefore cheap, so it didn't matter as much that I didn't drive it every day. As much as Alton Brown hates unitaskers, sometimes you just need the right tool for the job. It is why I'm still considering my options for convertible after selling the RX7 Turbo convertible in March 2019.

The new BMWs with the 50-s era jet intakes / front end may be quick and nimbly but man, they are ugly. I hear you about the WRX too.

Audi's cars look better and better to me, regardless of the lack of stick option. Not that my G is going anywhere until it's paid for (2022) and all the mods are done (20??)
Old 10-05-2021, 11:26 AM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I am really starting to think I should change the title of this thread to "My crazy car replacement thought of the day!" Thank you everyone for tuning in as I actually record here how my crazy car brain works on a daily basis. Hopefully, some of you can relate to this adventure I refer to as "my daily life."

So my last crazy thought that I (think I) brought up here a while ago was to lease a new loaded Nissan Frontier since my employee lease is insane right now as a winter vehicle and sell my Jeep Gladiator to free up cash to get a new Nissan Z. As much as I like the idea of getting a Z and turning it into a ridiculously fast track car, I hate the idea of always having to park one car and only getting to drive the fun car for 6 months out of the year. I also hate not being able to take my whole family in the "yea, fun car!" It seems like such a waste. I would much rather have one car that does everything really well and is as fun (if not more fun) to drive in the snow and rain as it is in nice weather. So I am thinking of a 4 door to haul my almost 3 year old daughter around, AWD for the winter, and 6 spd. manual for obvious reasons. Unfortunately, this leaves me with a very short list- mainly due to the manual.

I had high hopes for the new WRX, but I think it is ugly and only marginally improved from the current generation. However, the lease special on the current WRX made me think about getting one as a winter car, but then I thought that would be overkill with a Z in the garage. So I realized that the last track day I did was over 2 years ago and I usually only go once or twice a year if I am lucky so why should I spend so much money on a car prepping it for the track if that is less than 1% of its use?

OPTION 1: The most analog and engaging choice. So maybe I would be happy with just buying a new WRX, driving it every day and having a blast regardless of the weather, and maybe have fun at a track day without worrying about setting the fastest lap time. I do have to hurry if this is the right choice though because there are only a few incoming units that are not already sold before the hideous 2022 orders start.

OPTION 2: The complete opposite- the most technological and refined choice. Looking at the new Golf R's Nurburgring time, maybe they finally made it into a decent track weapon (with modest power) and it would be a hell of a nice daily driver year round.

OPTION 3: Middle ground. Wait for the new STI and hope the new engine and chassis really improve the performance and daily driveability. Also hope that it is somehow less ugly and suv-like compared to the 2022 WRX.

DISTANT OPTION 4: Wait even longer to save up enough to order a Cadillac CT-4V Blackwing exactly how I want it and have a car that is really fun to drive in everything, but snow.

EVEN MORE DISTANT OPTION 4.5: Wait the longest for used car prices to come back to normal and find a nice used 2015-2018 M3 or ATS-V sedan. Both manual.

Cast your votes now before you shake your head in disbelief so long that I decide to change my mind to something completely different again. And thanks for your patience as I work this very important, life changing, and timely decision. (My wife does not wholeheartedly agree with the last sentence)
Have you previously owned a AWD car which you used for track duty? I personally prefer the feel of RWD and enjoy stepping the rear out or trying to keep it in check.

I like the G80 M3 & the BW a lot however I will vote for Option 2. I want to like the F80 M3 however the sound and interior styling is a turnoff for me. The Golf R is practical and a well built vehicle with a great aftermarket support. I think this option checks all of the boxes for you.

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Thanks for giving it some thought, but I would much rather have a fun vehicle to drive 100% of the time and the GV80 is not my idea of fun. Maybe you meant the G70 sedan- that was pretty fun to drive. My wife already has an suv and she will be commuting all the way to Chicago and staying there for 3 days a week for her new job so I will need something I can haul my daughter around in. The Z is tough for me because we like to go for rides in fun cars as a family. My daughter randomly wants to ride in either of our cars so it will be tough telling her she cannot ride in the Z for another 10 years or so. As fun as a new Z would be, it is by far the least practical and most expensive option as it will require me to purchase another car for daily driving that won't be nearly as fun to drive for half the year.

So as I think more about it, having one really good 4dr. performance car idea is really starting to appeal to me again like it did with the G. It is just becoming more difficult to find that option, especially with AWD and a stick shift. For the record, I have been on this site over 6 years now, it just seems like only 4 because all of my posts are so entertaining. (Tongue firmly planted in cheek.)
Kids can ride in the front of the Z but I understand if you choose not to.
Old 10-08-2021, 12:21 PM
needsoju
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I don't know how much longer I will keep G37.. It's getting old yet still driving good. I think things will break left and right eventually. I always been a sedan driver... When times comes, I am now thinking about midsize SUV.. I wish G37 rear seats fold down ! I would be looking to a budget midsize SUV. Fast is good but with SUV I will not be looking for performance SUV but more of family, reliable and budget minded... Time will come when time to say bye to my G37...
Old 10-08-2021, 12:24 PM
backman_66
Registered Member

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by needsoju
I don't know how much longer I will keep G37.. It's getting old yet still driving good. I think things will break left and right eventually. I always been a sedan driver... When times comes, I am now thinking about midsize SUV.. I wish G37 rear seats fold down ! I would be looking to a budget midsize SUV. Fast is good but with SUV I will not be looking for performance SUV but more of family, reliable and budget minded... Time will come when time to say bye to my G37...
This is the moment I fear the most as a family man. Please don't ever let me be in this position!!!!!!
Old 10-08-2021, 01:03 PM
KImChee
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts
I’ve been looking for an M56 for a while. I know it won’t handle as well, but that V8 would be nice, and quieter, nicer interior would be a plus. I can’t seem to find any in my area that don’t have a ton of miles, but I guess it is an older car. Also got my eye on a Q50 Redsport, but I know the 3.0 turbo motors has problems, wonder if the RS has the same type of problems. I’ve also got my eye on the QX56/QX80 for something completely different.
Old 10-08-2021, 01:14 PM
needsoju
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by backman_66
This is the moment I fear the most as a family man. Please don't ever let me be in this position!!!!!!
Nah, it's great to be in this position.. You won't regret it. :-)
The following 2 users liked this post by needsoju:
Rochester (10-08-2021), rotarymike (10-12-2021)
Old 10-08-2021, 03:35 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Oh I know that you've been around for a long time, but this thread is 4 years old is all.
My mistake. I misread what you wrote earlier. But at the same time, wow, has it really been 4 years? This means I made it a whopping 2 years with the G before I started considering replacements. Not very long, but an improvement over the short 6 months I have had the Gladiator.

Originally Posted by RobC7
Have you previously owned a AWD car which you used for track duty? I personally prefer the feel of RWD and enjoy stepping the rear out or trying to keep it in check.

I like the G80 M3 & the BW a lot however I will vote for Option 2. I want to like the F80 M3 however the sound and interior styling is a turnoff for me. The Golf R is practical and a well built vehicle with a great aftermarket support. I think this option checks all of the boxes for you.

Kids can ride in the front of the Z but I understand if you choose not to.
I really learned track driving in an '02 WRX on slicks and AP Racing brakes, but also did a lot of time on track in an STI hatch and Evo X. I enjoyed setting up the suspensions of the Subarus to dial out the understeer and then had an absolute riot getting the entire car to slide ever so slightly past the limit compared to driving a RWD car where just the rear end steps out. And controlled 4 wheel drifts around corners in the rain at speed were amazing! However, I would miss being able to steer the rear as much with the throttle in RWD.

2+ year olds in rear facing child seats should never ride in the front of a Z

The new Golf R looks like it is going to be a hell of a car. I just wish they had an optional cloth or alcantara insert in the seat.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:19 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Keep in mind that in Europe (safety-minded Germany specifically) family cars are anything with 4 seats - like a Nissan Note or Mini. My wife had a Mini Cooper for the first 3 years of my daughter's life and the rear-face wasn't a show stopper. Now, except for the height of the stuff we can put in her crossover, it and my G sedan are comparable for family duty - it's more often down to who has their keys already when we go somewhere.
Old 10-13-2021, 12:09 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Obligatory next car discussion... sat in the Z prototype. Outside, looks WAY better than in pictures, even the giant square front grille. The lines come together way more - I get hints of 240 with notes of 300ZX, and a tiny bit of 350/370. Interior is bland but functional - which is appropriate for a sports car - you're supposed to be looking OUTSIDE when you're driving LOL.

Not sure that at $40+ it will be in the cards for me, but... interesting to look at, for sure. Substantially more interesting than an RF Miata.
The following 3 users liked this post by rotarymike:
2GoRNot2G (10-13-2021), Rochester (10-13-2021), woofersus (10-13-2021)
Old 10-13-2021, 05:58 PM
woofersus
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
How was the headroom? Were you able to adjust the seat?
Old 10-13-2021, 06:02 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

I’m 5’10 and it was fine. Didn’t sit in it long enough to adjust the seat (there was a line). Didn’t feel any more or less cramped than a 370z cockpit.
The following users liked this post:
woofersus (10-18-2021)
Old 10-23-2021, 12:12 AM
Tuckermaclain
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
My G was a really nice car. Lots of memories. I gave it to my sis in 2015 when I bought my next car. It was quicker than a Mustang GT with its Stillen SC kit. Visited last summer and drove it.l again. It is still a great car. Finally received my C8 convertible after waiting for almost 2 years. It is a wonderful car. I still have fond memories of my G though. If I were looking for something similar to it today, it would have to be a Genesis G70 or the Kia version. It’s just how I would imagine an updated G37.
The following users liked this post:
2GoRNot2G (10-26-2021)
Old 10-23-2021, 06:26 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
This is kind of strange, and I have zero interest in ever owning a truck, however the new Ford Maverick is really appealing.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?