G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2021, 11:24 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Been a month now with the new car. Learned a few things.

1) It's got both MPI and GDI injection. I was pretty sure about this before, but confirmed with the multiple fuel rails visually. Believe the 3.3TT is GDI only.
2) Liquid cooled intercooler
3) Stock tires belong in a shredder
4) Seats are relatively supportive even after a 500+ mile roadtrip with technical backroads (west of you, 4DRZ, crawford, richland counties)
5) Plenty of passing power on 2 lane hwy's
6) AC blows ice cubes, similar to the G, much colder than the honda
7) Sway bars are a pain to install. Esp rear; next year's headache
8) Fits 4 tires easy with room for more once the back seat is folded
9) Mpg is very respectable ~21/22 around town, upwards of 30+ on hwy
10) Strangers keep asking what is it.

I'm really impressed with #1 & #2. Seems like the best combo of gdi performance with benefits of mpi.
Old 09-04-2021, 10:15 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
Been a month now with the new car. Learned a few things.

1) It's got both MPI and GDI injection. I was pretty sure about this before, but confirmed with the multiple fuel rails visually. Believe the 3.3TT is GDI only.
2) Liquid cooled intercooler
3) Stock tires belong in a shredder
4) Seats are relatively supportive even after a 500+ mile roadtrip with technical backroads (west of you, 4DRZ, crawford, richland counties)
There are some really good twisty roads in the southern part of WI as well where I grew up near Janesville and Madision. However, up in NE WI by my the roads are garbage. Almost all flat and no corners until you get on the Eastern side of Lake Winnebago near Elkhart Lake
Old 09-11-2021, 02:28 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

The new WRX was released yesterday, but I honestly hope you all missed it. What a disappointment. It looks like a somewhat sportier Crosstrek. There are some notable improvements that you can read about here: https://www.subaru.com/2022-wrx. Ultimately, they put in a completely new motor and only gained 3 hp. They also have a GT model with Recaro seats and adaptive suspension for the 1st time, but it only comes with an automatic transmission?!? It looks like you will have to wait for an STI to get those items with a 6 spd. I am sure the STI will have better brakes and more power, but it will probably still be fugly.

I have honestly never seen a "performance" car look so out of place on a race track.

Old 09-11-2021, 02:35 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Maybe they're saving all the good stuff for the sti? Probably another disappointment...
Old 09-11-2021, 03:01 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Maybe they're saving all the good stuff for the sti? Probably another disappointment...
There will definitely be better performance, but I would be shocked if there were any significant styling upgrades aside from a big wing on the back. I was really hoping Subaru would finally do a retro 22b look. I realize that would be a significant cost for a low volume model, but look at the styling of the new Nissan Z.
Old 09-11-2021, 03:56 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

I think it was redline reviews that mentioned the auto would be getting a cvt. A cvt in a wrx?!@#

Maybe they'll take a page out of gm's playbook and do away entirely with the cars division. I can't remember the last legacy I saw around town.
Old 09-11-2021, 04:25 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I think it was redline reviews that mentioned the auto would be getting a cvt. A cvt in a wrx?!@#

Maybe they'll take a page out of gm's playbook and do away entirely with the cars division. I can't remember the last legacy I saw around town.
The CVT has been available in the WRX for a while, but now they are referring to it as the "Subaru Performance Transmission." They claim that it "shifts" 30% faster on upshifts and 50% faster on downshifts with rev matching. Meanwhile, they use the same shift **** on the 6spd. that they have had in the STI for the last 13 years. They are really trying to push this A/T.
Old 09-11-2021, 04:49 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 239 Likes on 165 Posts
I wonder how Subaru will respond with all the negative fan reaction. I guess the gen to get will be the current gen and just do the 2.4 swap after you inevitably blow your motor.
Old 09-11-2021, 04:57 PM
2.2Lude
Registered Member

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom
I wonder how Subaru will respond with all the negative fan reaction. I guess the gen to get will be the current gen and just do the 2.4 swap after you inevitably blow your motor.
Thats exactly what I was thinking.

I think with the older 86 twins it’ll be a similar situation. Blow the FA20 and swap in the 24, that everyone has been praising.
Old 09-12-2021, 07:17 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
I hate the new WRX. Honestly without the stupid fender flares it would be mostly OK. Maybe the aftermarket will improve it...
Old 09-13-2021, 08:20 AM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
I never, EVER understood the "shifting" in a CVT. Like, dammit, shift or don't shift. A CVT isn't supposed to shift at all. This whole "30% better" is literally impossible as the shift maps are all FAKE!!!! Drives me insane. At least in a crappy Corolla you can just hold it at redline the entire time.
Old 09-13-2021, 08:41 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Originally Posted by ryanwhite74115
I never, EVER understood the "shifting" in a CVT. Like, dammit, shift or don't shift. A CVT isn't supposed to shift at all. This whole "30% better" is literally impossible as the shift maps are all FAKE!!!! Drives me insane. At least in a crappy Corolla you can just hold it at redline the entire time.
Ever drive a Maxima over the last 15 years, particularly the 7th and 8th generation models? Not only does it feel like the transmission is shifting, the car has paddle shifters. It's the most stupid thing ever. And yet... it drives great for what it is. And it "shifts" exactly as if it were a traditional automatic transmission in a sport sedan. (Or sporty sedan, as it were.)

So you're not wrong. But for the driving experience in some cars like the Maxima, I suppose it doesn't matter.

I don't want one, however. The Maxima was dead to me since 2006.
Old 09-13-2021, 11:19 AM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Ever drive a Maxima over the last 15 years, particularly the 7th and 8th generation models? Not only does it feel like the transmission is shifting, the car has paddle shifters. It's the most stupid thing ever. And yet... it drives great for what it is. And it "shifts" exactly as if it were a traditional automatic transmission in a sport sedan. (Or sporty sedan, as it were.)

So you're not wrong. But for the driving experience in some cars like the Maxima, I suppose it doesn't matter.

I don't want one, however. The Maxima was dead to me since 2006.
My wife has 2017.5 Altima 3.5 and it's fine for city driving and long highway drives. 32mpg on the highway with ease. The CVT mated to a V6 is not terrible however anything over half throttle the trans does not know what the hell to do. I miss VQs with 6spd manuals.

IMO the WRX has been a disappointment with every generation. In 2000s the cars gave muscle cars & much more expensive cars a run for their money but now it seems the Japanese cars keep getting left further behind with the lack of development and innovation.
Old 09-13-2021, 11:25 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Originally Posted by RobC7
In 2000s the cars gave muscle cars & much more expensive cars a run for their money but now it seems the Japanese cars keep getting left further behind with the lack of development and innovation.
The new Z could be that car. We'll find out soon enough, I suppose.
Old 09-13-2021, 11:58 AM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
The new Z could be that car. We'll find out soon enough, I suppose.
That's some wishful thinking for sure. An aging platform, parts bin motor, and lack of adjustable suspension, advanced driving modes, and fancy e-diffs technologies? You really think the car will be a game changer?

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?