G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2021, 12:48 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
You've heard the phrase, "Never own a BMW out of warranty"? Same for Volvo.

I think you can't really make any decisions until you get the chance to experience the new Z. If you can just sit tight until next Spring. Shouldn't be too difficult getting through this Winter with that off-road beastie you bought.

Also, fwiw on those three:

old bmw - under styled
new caddy - over styled
old volvo - out dated style

Between the three, I'd choose the BMW, assuming you find one that's already gone through the first cycle of typical repairs.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-01-2021 at 01:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
2GoRNot2G (09-02-2021), ngolbuff (09-03-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 04:56 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Oh just wait Rochester, the plot thickens.

Rob, I was going after the lightweight and handling with 4 doors for my little girl with an E36, but you are correct. A car that old is like picking up a used Skyline. Cool idea, but they are old, outdated, and usually require a lot more work than you would think. Not to mention, grossly overpriced at the moment. My original idea was to get something entertaining as a daily driver with 4 doors for around $10-$20k and then get a new Z when they come out.

So slight change of plans here. Right after I posted up about the E36 they took in a spotless E90 M3 sedan 6spd. in Jerez black (super dark metallic blue). It has nearly all the maintenance history done at the BMW store across the street from my work. The only issue is it is higher mileage than I would like, but that also means it should be in the $25k range. The rod bearings seem to be the only issue with these cars so I will definitely want a test done on the oil or plan for that expense. This is option #1. (Looks just like the one below, but with tinted windows.

Option #2 would be realizing that I would spend $60k or so between this and the Z so why not get a new CT4-V Blackwing which would be about $67k ordered just the way I want it or a new RS3 if it is as potent as I think it will be.

Option #3 is to pick up a cheap used 2012+ Versa sedan stick shift to cart the little one to day care and drive in the snow and get a new Z. My wife just accepted a big promotion at work, but it requires her to be in the office in Chicago 3 days a week so I will need reliable transportation. Another cheap option (3.5?) would be to pick up a used Volvo S60R for around $10k to drive along with the Z. They seem fun with 300 hp, 6spd, AWD, and Brembo brakes. Thoughts?

Just gonna leave this here:

Originally Posted by Rochester

I think you can't really make any decisions until you get the chance to experience the new Z. If you can just sit tight until next Spring. Shouldn't be too difficult getting through this Winter with that off-road beastie you bought.

old bmw - under styled
new caddy - over styled

Between the three, I'd choose the BMW, assuming you find one that's already gone through the first cycle of typical repairs.
Can confirm. Owned a 2005 Volvo T5. Put approximately 200 miles on it in two years due to issues and repairs. The day I went to sell it, I was going 75 when it suddenly shut off completely then popped back to life two seconds later. Transmission exploded two weeks later on the new owner.
Old 09-01-2021, 05:03 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

I have not been shy when confessing my admiration of the E90/92 M3. One of the best looking cars IMO. Really wanted to pursue one but there's a lot more than just the bearings that can go wrong on them. If you like the S60R, see if there are any Mazdaspeed6 around you. Same AWD system as the S60R with a lot more support.
Old 09-01-2021, 05:16 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Wasn't the last year for that generation M3 like 2013? So you're still talking an almost decade old BWM from a reliability standpoint--and you mention high mileage. Probably would have been better off keeping your G with the 400 hp pack and known history.
Old 09-02-2021, 04:20 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts

old bmw - under styled
new caddy - over styled

You're not wrong about the 3 cars, but fortunately the M3 still looks pretty aggressive without drawing too much attention to it. Still waiting to drive it and get the full rundown on history before making another irrational car decision.

Originally Posted by RMB5190

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5QE-X1EmM8

Can confirm. Owned a 2005 Volvo T5. Put approximately 200 miles on it in two years due to issues and repairs. The day I went to sell it, I was going 75 when it suddenly shut off completely then popped back to life two seconds later. Transmission exploded two weeks later on the new owner.
I watched that guy review that M3 before he bought it and is probably the reason I always worry about the bearings. This video whining about needing to replace fluids after a track day and warping rotors doesn't surprise me. But when he says that replacing a remote battery is beyond his technical experience, why in the world would he buy that car? Good to know about Volvo. I just thought it would make a fun cheap 2nd car, but now I am reminded of the old saying: "1. Fast, 2. Reliable, 3. Cheap- pick 2"

I have not been shy when confessing my admiration of the E90/92 M3. One of the best looking cars IMO. Really wanted to pursue one but there's a lot more than just the bearings that can go wrong on them. If you like the S60R, see if there are any Mazdaspeed6 around you. Same AWD system as the S60R with a lot more support.
The Mazdaspeed6 uses the same haldex system? When I heard haldex I just immediately thought of VW. If the Mazdaspeed6's are going for around $10k that might be an excellent suggestion. I never liked the clutch in that car, but as a 2nd car/winter beater, that might be a great option. (Also because we also carry Mazda at my store and I usually try to buy our products if I can.)

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Wasn't the last year for that generation M3 like 2013? So you're still talking an almost decade old BWM from a reliability standpoint--and you mention high mileage. Probably would have been better off keeping your G with the 400 hp pack and known history.
The last year for the sedan was 2011. I had an 05 E46 M3 and it was bulletproof. The V8 in the E90 is supposed to be as well with the exception of the bearings. Having a full service history at my local BMW dealer is certainly a plus for this V8, but you are right- things still happen. I had taken the G as far as I could performance-wise without crossing over into a lack of daily driveability or reliability. Time for a new project.

Speaking of that, I just located the keys for the V8 so we will see how it drives now...
Old 09-02-2021, 05:18 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
Best friend has a 4-door E90. It's very fast but in an underwhelming way. Normal maintenance issues for the ~7 or so years he's had it. Now... a full brake job on it costs more than most of the cars I've owned in my life, but...

I considered that instead of the RX-8 when I was looking. The RX-8 trounced it on the Nurburgring... my buddy was peeved, he thought he'd finally one-upped me in a way I couldn't compete

I'd compare it favorably in style and substance to the G37 sedans. Different, but clearly aimed at the same market.
Old 09-03-2021, 08:01 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
The Mazdaspeed6 uses the same haldex system? When I heard haldex I just immediately thought of VW. If the Mazdaspeed6's are going for around $10k that might be an excellent suggestion. I never liked the clutch in that car, but as a 2nd car/winter beater, that might be a great option. (Also because we also carry Mazda at my store and I usually try to buy our products if I can.)
I am almost certain it does. When I had my T5, I went down the rabbit hole learning all about them. A lot of tech was shared between Mazda, Ford and Volvo during that time and the Haldex, I believe, was one of the by products. Understated car (which I like) which makes it a bit of a sleeper. Was never crazy about the Mazda6 of that era but the speed6, with the hood bulge and bigger wheels, made it appealing to me. Only produced 05-06 so finding one that is in decent shape is the trick.
Old 09-03-2021, 08:22 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
Thought that was the S40 that shared tech with Mazda and Ford?

Regardless, the Speed6 is definitely a sleeper.
Old 09-03-2021, 08:38 AM
Rochester
Administrator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5QE-X1EmM8

Wow. I've been following Savagegeese for years, and never knew he tried to own a BMW.

As for Volvo... we bought a brand new S40 in 2000, thinking we were going to protect our newborn with a Swedish tank. And while I did love that little car, it was always in the shop, and there were rust spots almost immediately. Since there was only a 3 year warranty, we ditched it ASAP. Once burned by a manufacturer, people rarely go back. Love Volvo, but will never own one again. Here's an old pic:

Old 09-03-2021, 08:47 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Wow. I've been following Savagegeese for years, and never knew he tried to own a BMW.

As for Volvo... we bought a brand new S40 in 2000, thinking we were going to protect our newborn with a Swedish tank. And while I did love that little car, it was always in the shop, and there were rust spots almost immediately. Since there was only a 3 year warranty, we ditched it ASAP. Once burned by a manufacturer, people rarely go back. Love Volvo, but will never own one again. Here's an old pic:
He has a pretty extensive review of the e9o M3

Isn't there also an issue with the VANOS variable valve system that is also expensive? My FIL had a M6 with the V10--which I think the M3 V8 is heavily based off of--and he had nothing but problems with it. Of course, hitting 8200 rpm was fun.
Old 09-03-2021, 03:42 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
After my first drive in the G37S I felt it's a great car however I instantly thought I should go out and buy a E90 M3. Classy looks, great sounding V8 revving out to 8,2000rpm with 4 doors. What's not to love?

If the price is right and maintenance is up to date, I wouldn't shy away from the E90 M3. I will go on a whim and say it is more reliable than the e36 M3 however I don't have any first hand experience. Buy the car, change the bearings, and enjoy it for what it is. Drive it for a few years and sell it to get your money back. This is a cult classic car and the value will NOT go down.

I have a feeling you may be underwhelmed with the new Z. Suspension will be more of the same (obviously with small enhancements) and if it wasn't they would have been touting it during their reveal. Maybe you liked the 370z enough that the extra power and small drivetrain/suspension improvements will get you back into one. I wouldn't get my hopes up.
Old 09-03-2021, 03:50 PM
Rochester
Administrator

You know what looks to me like a great Second Car? A car that you can beat on during the winter, and haul crap as needed, without feeling like you're driving a truck?

The new Santa Cruz from Hyundai. 10 year warranty, dual clutch transmission... you can even go upscale with leather and a turbo.

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/09/03/...a-cruz-review/
The following users liked this post:
ngolbuff (09-03-2021)
Old 09-03-2021, 04:30 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rotarymike
Thought that was the S40 that shared tech with Mazda and Ford?

Regardless, the Speed6 is definitely a sleeper.
They certainly did. There were a ton of Euro spec FoST and FoRS that were bolt ons for the S40. The S60R and S40 motors shared a lot of characteristics; so I was on those pages of the forum quite often. I believe I remember reading the S60R and Speed6 either share or have extremely similar Haldex set-ups. After that, the similarities end. Long story short, I wanted a speed3/speed6, couldn't find one, saw how similar they were to the S40/60 and figured it was the Swedish version and would make a fun project car. I absolutely loved the looks and color of the S40 I had, made all the right noises too, but it was electrical gremlins and the transmission that did me in.

Looking back, it's funny how much different the view points were on certain aspects/parts. On Swedespeed, members swore by the T5 transmission, 400tq worthy, but Ford members were not shy about calling it junk. Being that it exploded soon after selling, I'd have to agree with the Later.
Old 09-03-2021, 04:35 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

I was really debating on going with a M3 or 204 C63 for my next car. Between the Volvo and our current Benz, I didn't like the idea of having two Euro cars as DDs. I was aware of the bearing issue - wasn't a deal breaker but the throttle body actuators are made of plastic and it's a question of when not if. Take a look at what those cost....

S550 has a better Nürburgring time than the M3 (so it's no slouch in the handling department)and has the 'raw' muscle car feel the C63 has and modding them are stupid cheap compared to Euro cars and Japanese. Made it an easy choice.
Old 09-03-2021, 06:54 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
Best friend has a 4-door E90. It's very fast but in an underwhelming way. Normal maintenance issues for the ~7 or so years he's had it. Now... a full brake job on it costs more than most of the cars I've owned in my life, but...

I considered that instead of the RX-8 when I was looking. The RX-8 trounced it on the Nurburgring... my buddy was peeved, he thought he'd finally one-upped me in a way I couldn't compete

I'd compare it favorably in style and substance to the G37 sedans. Different, but clearly aimed at the same market.
I drove the E90 M3 and it was great, but it did remind me of the RX-8 in that you need to rev the snot out of it to get it to move. I think it could be a lot of fun on a racetrack at high rpms, but ultimately decided it was unwise to test that idea with the age and higher mileage. Especially since there was a CE light and the steering pump whined loud enough to convince me it was supercharged. I would have never guessed that the last owner did not seem to keep up with the maintenance like the previous owner since it still looks brand new. Ultimately, a fun test drive, but a hard pass for me.

You know what looks to me like a great Second Car? A car that you can beat on during the winter, and haul crap as needed, without feeling like you're driving a truck?

The new Santa Cruz from Hyundai. 10 year warranty, dual clutch transmission... you can even go upscale with leather and a turbo.

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/09/03/...a-cruz-review/
I feel like I have been throwing you guys lots of curve ***** recently, but you are not far off Rochester. I sold an incoming 2022 all-new Nissan Frontier today and the lease special on this truck is absolutely ridiculous. As in, I could cut my Jeep payment in half and have enough left over from trading in the Jeep to pay for the majority of a new Z. I think this is the best option so far for getting a Z for me since I will need reliable winter transportation for my daughter. That is unless the new WRX that gets released in a week is a game changer which would mean that the new STI could be really good...

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?