G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2021, 08:06 PM
woofersus
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Those are all CT5-V Blackwings (as opposed to CT4-V Blackwings), right? I am surprised that they have hit lots already. Were those all pre-sold?
I think those are CT-4's.
Old 08-26-2021, 09:44 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
That orange and black is sexy
I was leaning towards a Infrared Tintcoat (burgandy) but I do love the orange and I always love the way black cars look. Still dreaming but determined to figure it out to make it work.

Those are all CT5-V Blackwings (as opposed to CT4-V Blackwings), right? I am surprised that they have hit lots already. Were those all pre-sold?
CT5-V Blackwings, dealers have received CT4-Vs as well. Take a look on autotrader you may find one near you.
The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (08-28-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 09:53 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
I had my very first car painted orange back in 1981. (actually Corvette "Fire Red", which was really orange, but whatever.) Always partial to orange, and I don't know why.

That deep, dark metallic orange with black trim... wow!

I'd like it if my calipers were orange. In fact, that Caddy color would be amazing on the calipers. I should make note of that.
Old 08-27-2021, 08:30 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
I've always been a sucker for what I call BMW Blue. Dark metallic sapphire, almost black.

The following 2 users liked this post by rotarymike:
4DRZ (08-28-2021), ngolbuff (08-30-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 11:55 AM
RA081224
Banned

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by 2.2Lude
So much want.
Can be yours for the low, low price of $62,000 (base)
Old 08-27-2021, 12:00 PM
RA081224
Banned

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
I had my very first car painted orange back in 1981. (actually Corvette "Fire Red", which was really orange, but whatever.) Always partial to orange, and I don't know why.

That deep, dark metallic orange with black trim... wow!

I'd like it if my calipers were orange. In fact, that Caddy color would be amazing on the calipers. I should make note of that.
GM had a similar red which was probably the same actual color under a different name. They called it "carousel red" I traded up cars for almost 5 years to get my hands on one. Then had to sell it when I moved to CA. That should have been a wake up call right there

Old 08-27-2021, 12:04 PM
backman_66
Registered Member

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
I am extremely curious about the resurrection of the Acura Integra, supposedly coming in 2022-2023.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2023...thing-we-know/

I have owned a 96 Integra GS-R, 2001 Honda S2000, and a 2002 Acura RSX-S so I have a long history with Honda/Acura. And of course the iconic Integra Type-R was touted as one of the best FWD sports cars ever made so there's a lot of potential with this new Integra.

I wish they could make another high-revving N/A engine to put in it but I know that won't be the case. I'm pretty sure it'll have some version of the current Civic's turbo motor. I have always been hesitant to buy into a current-gen forced induction Honda, I just don't know if it would give me the same sensation as the old N/A Vtec motors...

But if they do this Integra right, I would consider selling my G37 for one.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I'd also love a 6-speed option
Old 08-27-2021, 12:06 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
^^Lets hope it doesn't tip the scales at over 2 tons like the tlx type s does.
Old 08-27-2021, 12:11 PM
backman_66
Registered Member

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
^^Lets hope it doesn't tip the scales at over 2 tons like the tlx type s does.
Yep that would definitely be a huge turn-off. Do those TLX's really weigh that much? Geez! I'm sure the SH-AWD accounts for some of that, but still... I thought our G's were heavy. I guess with all of the modern / technological additions to cars, they are just going to keep getting heavier and heavier.
Old 08-27-2021, 12:19 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
4200 Lbs according to car and driver - https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-type-s-drive/

The 6mt sedan is somewhere around 3750 lb iirc. My stinger is #3850 (awd pig) and that's with the 4 banger... 6 is around 4 tons. I also don't have that huge sunroof. Panels seem thinner on the stinger than the G so not sure where all that weight is coming from. The car is much quieter inside than the G or accord were.

Last edited by JSolo; 08-27-2021 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-28-2021, 05:38 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Speaking of heavy cars, the CT4-V Blackwing is 3,860 lbs (!?!), but it is does have a lot of power and looks like it will set a new sedan lap record and VIR. It would be $66,700 equipped the way I would want in black w/ red calipers & seatbelts (w/ "matching keyfob" ), the upgraded seats with the suede inserts, heads up display, and performance data recorder. I wonder if I get much of an employee discount on a Blackwing? (Many times the performance models do not get great specials for us.)

And now for something completely different... (and much lighter) I am leaning toward something with 4 doors again for my (almost 3yr. old) daughter to ride in back and have always wanted to to get an E36 M3 for the lightness, steering feel, 50/50 weight distribution, styling, etc. I don't know that I could really track it, but it would be a great daily driver that I think would be a lot of fun to drive. 4 door versions are hard to find, but the coupe should have a pretty good back seat. This supercharged one looks interesting.... Anyone have any experience with these?

Old 08-31-2021, 12:42 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
Speaking of heavy cars, the CT4-V Blackwing is 3,860 lbs (!?!), but it is does have a lot of power and looks like it will set a new sedan lap record and VIR. It would be $66,700 equipped the way I would want in black w/ red calipers & seatbelts (w/ "matching keyfob" ), the upgraded seats with the suede inserts, heads up display, and performance data recorder. I wonder if I get much of an employee discount on a Blackwing? (Many times the performance models do not get great specials for us.)

And now for something completely different... (and much lighter) I am leaning toward something with 4 doors again for my (almost 3yr. old) daughter to ride in back and have always wanted to to get an E36 M3 for the lightness, steering feel, 50/50 weight distribution, styling, etc. I don't know that I could really track it, but it would be a great daily driver that I think would be a lot of fun to drive. 4 door versions are hard to find, but the coupe should have a pretty good back seat. This supercharged one looks interesting.... Anyone have any experience with these?

I am hoping the CT5VBW has at least a 2 or 3 year production run that way I can get a used one or sneak in a late order for a new one.

I don't see why you would get an e36 as it seems like a backwards step from owning a sorted v36 with a 6mt. Buying an e36 today requires quite a bit of maintenance + upgrades to have the car sorted out and road worthy. The cars are very fragile (plastics disintegrate), rear shock towers crack under stress, cool system is a weak point, rust, and steering rack leaks are quite common too. You will most likely need to do a bushing overhaul as well.

The e36 is a much older platform, with less power, and less interior space. In today's market you will be paying a fortune for a well kept example and to me it is not worth it. The e36 may sound great on paper but I don't think it is the holy grail.
Old 08-31-2021, 12:47 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Wow. That was a bucket of cold water the the face.
Old 08-31-2021, 02:00 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Wow. That was a bucket of cold water the the face.
Nailed it. I have nostalgia every once in awhile and peak at cars that I thought I wanted. Desire usually dissipates until the next time.
The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (08-31-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 12:35 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by RobC7
I am hoping the CT5VBW has at least a 2 or 3 year production run that way I can get a used one or sneak in a late order for a new one.

I don't see why you would get an e36 as it seems like a backwards step from owning a sorted v36 with a 6mt. Buying an e36 today requires quite a bit of maintenance + upgrades to have the car sorted out and road worthy. The cars are very fragile (plastics disintegrate), rear shock towers crack under stress, cool system is a weak point, rust, and steering rack leaks are quite common too. You will most likely need to do a bushing overhaul as well.

The e36 is a much older platform, with less power, and less interior space. In today's market you will be paying a fortune for a well kept example and to me it is not worth it. The e36 may sound great on paper but I don't think it is the holy grail.
Oh just wait Rochester, the plot thickens.

Rob, I was going after the lightweight and handling with 4 doors for my little girl with an E36, but you are correct. A car that old is like picking up a used Skyline. Cool idea, but they are old, outdated, and usually require a lot more work than you would think. Not to mention, grossly overpriced at the moment. My original idea was to get something entertaining as a daily driver with 4 doors for around $10-$20k and then get a new Z when they come out.

So slight change of plans here. Right after I posted up about the E36 they took in a spotless E90 M3 sedan 6spd. in Jerez black (super dark metallic blue). It has nearly all the maintenance history done at the BMW store across the street from my work. The only issue is it is higher mileage than I would like, but that also means it should be in the $25k range. The rod bearings seem to be the only issue with these cars so I will definitely want a test done on the oil or plan for that expense. This is option #1. (Looks just like the one below, but with tinted windows.

Option #2 would be realizing that I would spend $60k or so between this and the Z so why not get a new CT4-V Blackwing which would be about $67k ordered just the way I want it or a new RS3 if it is as potent as I think it will be.

Option #3 is to pick up a cheap used 2012+ Versa sedan stick shift to cart the little one to day care and drive in the snow and get a new Z. My wife just accepted a big promotion at work, but it requires her to be in the office in Chicago 3 days a week so I will need reliable transportation. Another cheap option (3.5?) would be to pick up a used Volvo S60R for around $10k to drive along with the Z. They seem fun with 300 hp, 6spd, AWD, and Brembo brakes. Thoughts?

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?