G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 11:37 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Finally, a fun car to drive. Lots of nice little improvements over last year's model.

Old 06-09-2021, 12:32 PM
RA081224
Banned

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Still holding out on one of these.

Just savin my pennies
Old 06-09-2021, 08:51 PM
woofersus
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Finally, a fun car to drive. Lots of nice little improvements over last year's model.
The new front end just doesn't do it for me. I liked the original better. The proportions look awkward. I can appreciate some of the changes to the general shape and the taillights are a bit more aggressive. I don't care for the new wheels, either. Maybe there are other options. The interior looks to still be really nice - I sat in one of the originals and was fairly impressed.

But those exhaust openings..... I must be in the minority because this is super common in recent years, but I can't stand the trend toward fascia openings instead of cutouts - at least when the exhaust is just sticking into the holes and not really integrated. It looks fake and cheap to me and when I'm driving behind the car I can obviously see the exhaust pipe just sitting there in the opening, not made to fit or attach in any way that looks finished. The old G70 did it too but the openings were small enough to almost mask anything inside. The new ones look cartoonishly exaggerated to me and fit the category of "gaping holes through which you can see the plain exhaust pipes."
Old 06-09-2021, 08:56 PM
woofersus
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Absinthe

Just savin my pennies

Unfortunately the neutering of the next-gen models and cancellation of the real fire-breathers have really pumped up values of the previous v- models. Since I got offered a 2018 ATS-V sedan with 16k miles for under $40k a couple of years ago, prices have done nothing but go up. I can't regret passing too much, because at the time it really was more than I could afford, but I haven't ruled out a later-model ATS-V as a future car and I'm sad they're turning into collector items. It will reverse eventually, though. Hope you find yours!
Old 06-09-2021, 09:07 PM
RA081224
Banned

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by woofersus
Unfortunately the neutering of the next-gen models and cancellation of the real fire-breathers have really pumped up values of the previous v- models. Since I got offered a 2018 ATS-V sedan with 16k miles for under $40k a couple of years ago, prices have done nothing but go up. I can't regret passing too much, because at the time it really was more than I could afford, but I haven't ruled out a later-model ATS-V as a future car and I'm sad they're turning into collector items. It will reverse eventually, though. Hope you find yours!
Thanks, Im sure it will end up being a near decade long wait but Im patient. I saw last month that Cadillac has announced the 2022 CT5-V Blackwing which should help weed out some of the potential buyers
Old 06-10-2021, 06:26 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts

Just savin my pennies
I would have a Caddy already if it was more attractive! It's a ton of fun to drive though, and that engine noise "almost" makes up for that ugly duckling face.
Old 06-11-2021, 07:10 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
A guy I used to be friends with has a CTS-V, 2005 or so, and went through a half-dozen engines in the thing. It was a beast when it was working, but that wasn't often.
Old 06-11-2021, 10:32 AM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
A guy I used to be friends with has a CTS-V, 2005 or so, and went through a half-dozen engines in the thing. It was a beast when it was working, but that wasn't often.
Must have been user or tuning error. The 1st get CTS-V does have it's issue (differentials, electronics, etc.) but the engine is stout and nothing different from a corvette or camaro (ls6 or ls2 depending on the year).
Old 06-11-2021, 11:21 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

The first one the rods disintegrated into shards. Then he bought a fancy racing motor from some reputable builder in Concord NC (IE, Nascar engine builder) and fragged 3 of them - 1 on the dyno and 2 driving normally. I think his engine builder, tuner, and mechanic all being different people contributed to the problem - but I've never heard of a GM small block exploding like that except for nitrous or drag racers (or, come to think of it, mostly nitro drag racers).

Again - this is a prior friend I don't talk to any more, but I hear stories from his ex - who while car savvy is not a wrench herself. Grain of salt and all that. I do know he's been paying a car payment for almost 5 years for a car that's had a total time on the road of about 6 months.
Old 06-14-2021, 01:54 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Just savin my pennies
Great car, but so hard to find. I still have yet to find one the way I want and I look probably every other week.

Originally Posted by woofersus
The new front end just doesn't do it for me. I liked the original better. The proportions look awkward. I can appreciate some of the changes to the general shape and the taillights are a bit more aggressive. I don't care for the new wheels, either. Maybe there are other options. The interior looks to still be really nice - I sat in one of the originals and was fairly impressed.

But those exhaust openings..... I must be in the minority because this is super common in recent years, but I can't stand the trend toward fascia openings instead of cutouts - at least when the exhaust is just sticking into the holes and not really integrated. It looks fake and cheap to me and when I'm driving behind the car I can obviously see the exhaust pipe just sitting there in the opening, not made to fit or attach in any way that looks finished. The old G70 did it too but the openings were small enough to almost mask anything inside. The new ones look cartoonishly exaggerated to me and fit the category of "gaping holes through which you can see the plain exhaust pipes."
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The styling is much more cohesive now front end to rear end, but neither year has a great looking front end. The issue with the original G70 is that the front end looked like it was grafted on from another vehicle. It just didn't match the styling for the rest of the car.

I agree with you on the exhaust openings. We all wish they were real on these new cars. The new G70 has slightly larger openings than last year's model, but they are no easier to see that they are fake than the 2021 until you get right up next to the vehicle.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:08 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

In case you guys missed it, here are two release dates I am very excited for:

July 6- Lotus will release their last gasoline powered car.

August 17- Nissan will officially release the new Z.

The following 2 users liked this post by 4DRZ:
ngolbuff (06-16-2021), woofersus (06-14-2021)
Old 06-14-2021, 08:16 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 239 Likes on 165 Posts
Just don't get a Kia/Hyundai. My 2021 got stolen and it's insanely easy to steal them. That would be my advice to anyone here until Kia/Hyundai fixes them.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:07 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

That new Z sure looks like it has the GT-Rs front 6-piston brakes...
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (06-15-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 10:59 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rotarymike
That new Z sure looks like it has the GT-Rs front 6-piston brakes...
Along with 2pc. rotors up front and 4 pot calipers out back. (But why cross drilled?!?) I am really hoping those make production. The significantly lighter weight, bigger brakes, and twin turbo V6 should make this a very capable track car.

Old 06-15-2021, 11:06 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
"NISSAN Z" branded RWL tires? That really going to happen?

Damn, I remember when... be fun to see RWL tires make a comeback.
The following users liked this post:
2GoRNot2G (06-15-2021)

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?