G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 08:45 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by doctorg37xs
I, too, like a couple of other members on this thread have found myself more on the three main VW forums learning as much as a I can about the car. I haven't done much yet outside of some clutch upgrades, winter / summer wheels & tires, and practical things like upgrading the infotainment screen, OBD 11, trunk cargo covers, and leather seat protectors for the car seats I lug around. Getting an H&R rear sway bar on soon once I get the time. Also have a COBB AP with a EQT Stage 1 93 octane tune on it, but I'll wait on flashing that until I'm bored of the stock power and save up enough $$$ for a stronger clutch.

Also had a second baby girl 9 weeks (in addition to our almost 3-year-old girl), so that's been more of the focus!

Anyway, the Golf R really is such a blast, and I'm happy to be back in a manual transmission. This car is fast, fast (to me at least) even at it's stock power. I'm fascinated by turbo since I've always owned N/A vehicles. I do miss the purr of the V6 in the G37xS, however the other aspects of the Golf R have really hit on everything I've been looking for in a daily driver. I'll also say that I probably learned the most/got most comfortable modding a vehicle with the almost 10 years I spent reading between the G35/G37 forums!
Nice! I think more people have moved on to a Golf R than any other single model car. Since you're a 6MT, definitely check out the Diesel Geek short throw shifter--huge upgrade!

And, on the topic of the Golf R, I think this is the first US drive of an MK8 R (albeit a euro spec version). I'm not sold on all the touch buttons, but it sounds like a solid improvement to vehicular dynamics--especially the rear diff and torque vectoring--plus it's still going to be available with a 6MT

Old 04-29-2021, 07:48 PM
doctorg37xs
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Nice! I think more people have moved on to a Golf R than any other single model car. Since you're a 6MT, definitely check out the Diesel Geek short throw shifter--huge upgrade!

And, on the topic of the Golf R, I think this is the first US drive of an MK8 R (albeit a euro spec version). I'm not sold on all the touch buttons, but it sounds like a solid improvement to vehicular dynamics--especially the rear diff and torque vectoring--plus it's still going to be available with a 6MT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSSvLDzJzgA
Wow! Great video. I’ve been following the release of the MK8 and it’s really nice, but I’m also not a fan of the new styling. The drivetrain, however, seems incredible—especially after watching that video. I’d be interested to see if VW shat the bed again on the 6MT clutch haha.

As for the short shifter, I still have a Boomba adapter that I haven’t installed yet. If I don’t like it then I’ll definitely consider the diesel geek!
Old 04-30-2021, 04:38 PM
backman_66
Registered Member

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by doctorg37xs
You've got the same wheels as me Love them so much. Mine is in titanium color though.

Old 04-30-2021, 05:31 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by backman_66
You've got the same wheels as me Love them so much. Mine is in titanium color though.

You really need the OEM spoiler
Old 04-30-2021, 05:32 PM
backman_66
Registered Member

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
I had a CF spoiler in hand but I didn't like it much. I sold it and tried ordering OEM from several different online Infiniti stores and they're all out of stock for like 12 weeks I was told It let me place the order, but then 10 minutes later it got rejected and refunded each time.

I tried! I want it! WHY is everything always on back order when I want it? I've been waiting a long time for a muffler, too.
Old 05-01-2021, 01:40 AM
doctorg37xs
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by backman_66

They’re such a good wheel for such a good price! They didn’t have Titanium in stock when I was buying them 6 months ago (it was my first choice), but I’m liking the black on red combo!

Nice car!
Old 05-05-2021, 09:53 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Here is a review I finally got around to editing. Surprisingly good car and legit replacement for the G37.

The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (05-06-2021)
Old 05-06-2021, 04:02 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Here is a review I finally got around to editing. Surprisingly good car and legit replacement for the G37.
Nice review. Good editing and duration

We have the little brother with the 2.0T and 7 speed DSG and honestly, I wish I had tried to snag a 2018 during the one year they offered a 6MT. We have a stage 1 tune, so it's probably almost as quick as a stock S4, gets low 30s on the highway and is a comfy family hauler. Audi does fantastic interiors, and yeah, the B&O system sounds incredible.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lego_Maniac:
4DRZ (05-06-2021), doctorg37xs (05-07-2021)
Old 05-06-2021, 04:14 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Nice review. Good editing and duration

We have the little brother with the 2.0T and 7 speed DSG and honestly, I wish I had tried to snag a 2018 during the one year they offered a 6MT. We have a stage 1 tune, so it's probably almost as quick as a stock S4, gets low 30s on the highway and is a comfy family hauler. Audi does fantastic interiors, and yeah, the B&O system sounds incredible.
Thanks! Glad to hear you like your Audi. I wish they still offered the stick shift in the S4 and brought an RS4 to our shores, but I am hoping the next gen. RS3 is really good. Either way, I was surprised by how good this car was and how much I liked the massaging seats. What a cool feature! If I wasn't planning on more track days this would be the perfect car for me. The S5 4 door is basically the same car if you need more cargo room and like the svelte "hatchback" design. Both of these cars are in the low $40k range for 2018 with low mileage.
Old 05-07-2021, 12:03 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
Saw a Mustang Mach-e in the wild yesterday. I can't think of a reason I'd want one (what job would it do? CUV? Sedan?) but it looks way nicer in person than in pictures.
Old 05-07-2021, 12:53 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
Saw a Mustang Mach-e in the wild yesterday. I can't think of a reason I'd want one (what job would it do? CUV? Sedan?) but it looks way nicer in person than in pictures.
Funny, I had the opposite opinion... looks really good in media, but just meh in person.

I don't want one either. The Volvo Recharge, on the other hand... that appeals to me for some reason. But it's about $15K too much money, and 100 miles too short in range.
The following users liked this post:
2GoRNot2G (05-07-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 10:47 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I have not seen a new car worth talking about in a while, but maybe this video will help answer the old question, "What's my trade worth?" Also, trade-in values are crazy high right now. Good time to get a new car if you can find one you like. (Not a lot of new car inventory at the moment.)

Old 05-26-2021, 09:34 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
Saw a Shelby GT350 on the road yesterday, and gently played around (no racing - mostly just watching him sprint to speed limit of 45 from stoplights). I'm still limited to <5000 RPM for clutch break in so I behaved, but he recognized that my car wasn't just a transportation appliance.

My god, this thing sounds *glorious*. Looks good too -lower and wider than a regular mustang. Had some scoot as well. Turns out guy was in Naval nuke power school and spent his re-enlistment bonus on the down payment... must be nice to be 20s and single again LOL. I'm not usually a Mustang stan but this one was badass.
Old 05-26-2021, 09:47 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
^^^
There's a black on black, almost sinister looking Camaro ZL1 just down the street from me. You can hear it come into the neighborhood around 5:00 PM every day as he is (ostensibly) coming home from work. Hear it... heck, you can feel it in the middle of your chest. That is not a normal car. I can't imagine driving that monster as a DD, although I'd love to try.

My humble, modified G is far less intimidating. Almost tame by comparison. And that's OK.
Old 05-28-2021, 01:56 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
^^^
There's a black on black, almost sinister looking Camaro ZL1 just down the street from me. You can hear it come into the neighborhood around 5:00 PM every day as he is (ostensibly) coming home from work. Hear it... heck, you can feel it in the middle of your chest. That is not a normal car. I can't imagine driving that monster as a DD, although I'd love to try.

My humble, modified G is far less intimidating. Almost tame by comparison. And that's OK.
It seems like I have seen a lot of ZL1's lately for some reason. One of them had the license plate, "650-ISH."

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?