G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 12:25 AM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
I used the rev matching in the C7 when I felt lazy. It was also helpful if you have a novice driving as it would keep the RPMs up during slow shifts. It would default to off which was great but it had those lame paddle shifters to enable/disable

All in all, cool feature but not something I'd use.

Last edited by RobC7; 03-29-2021 at 12:32 AM.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:30 AM
woofersus
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I am sure they will if the rumor is true about them using exactly the same transmission as the 370Z. You would think they would beef it up a bit for the added torque. The rev match feature was one I never really used when I had my 370Z. I was just glad the default setting was to have it off instead of the BMW M3 and M2 where a lot of the time you have to have it active. Lame.
Could be a bit different clutch and still be the "exact same transmission" I suppose. Minor details are probably glossed over at this stage even by those in the know. It is another suggestion that the old 7-speed auto will be replaced by the 9G-tronic unit, though, so that's good for the automatic drivers.
Old 04-02-2021, 02:10 PM
Atowsley
Premier Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Victory
Find some twisty roads and you'll get it. Brake before entering the corner and by the time you're reaching the apex the car is in the powerband and you just mash the gas. Wheeeeeeee!
Agreed. I love DS mode. The downshifts are fun and sound awesome with an aftermarket exhaust.
Old 04-06-2021, 12:03 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by RobC7
I used the rev matching in the C7 when I felt lazy. It was also helpful if you have a novice driving as it would keep the RPMs up during slow shifts. It would default to off which was great but it had those lame paddle shifters to enable/disable

All in all, cool feature but not something I'd use.
I had it on my Z and it worked well, but I hardly ever used it because the timing was always just slightly off since it only had certain perimeters to determine when to blip the throttle. It is supposed to give you quicker lap times and it probably would if you were not heel and toe down shifting. But with heel and toe downshifting I could never get it to shave any time off of my laps. I noticed the same thing in the 2021 M2 Competition I drove a few months ago. Everyone complains about the difficulty in turning the BMW rev match system off, but it never bothered me much because I was blipping the throttle just a touch before the car would try to so it seemed to cancel it out since the revs were already where they needed to be.

Originally Posted by woofersus
Could be a bit different clutch and still be the "exact same transmission" I suppose. Minor details are probably glossed over at this stage even by those in the know. It is another suggestion that the old 7-speed auto will be replaced by the 9G-tronic unit, though, so that's good for the automatic drivers.
I heard the same thing about the 9 speed unit. I guess that is good news for A/T drivers, but as long as there is a manual option I will chose that instead.

Speaking of the Z, did anyone see the blurry leaked picture today of the silver Z with the blue interior? Kind of fugly if you ask me, but the article goes on to claim that dealers will be able to order them by May 23rd and a release is due before that. That timing would be very unusual compared to the new Frontier and Pathfinder that were released a while ago, but we are still months away from being able to order them. Unless, May 23rd is the release date and they will also have a pre-order option at that time online. It's possible. It just seems odd to see these cars with very little camo before we see any out testing on the roads.

The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (04-06-2021)
Old 04-09-2021, 10:42 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
^^^
OMG, that blue is hideous. The seats look cheap. The floating skullcap over the speedo... and the 3 pods... that does not look right at all. And you would think that even a spy shot would represent a proper 6MT, but nope. This is a mess.

Hmmm.

Last edited by Rochester; 04-09-2021 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:49 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
The Mach-e is starting to show up at Ford dealerships. Yesterday I drove past one, did a U-turn and pulled in to eyeball the car for the first time ever. A salesman approached me, but I respectfully asked him to back off and just let me walk around. I didn't want to engage with him for lack of time, plus it was rush hour and Covid and... just didn't want to, LOL.

Anyway, after circling the car a few times, and seeing the interior with my own eyes instead of online beauty shots, I definitely came away with a first impression. Sadly, that impression was "Meh." There were some design and trim components that were appealing, but overall the car was just "meh". Nothing about it drew me to the vehicle in any kind of emotional way. Nothing. It just looked like another mid-sized crossover, EV notwithstanding.

Sometimes a crossover can really grab at you. The Stelvio still makes me want one, but lack of reliability clears that fog. And the Mecan kind of does, until I drove it and realized I didn't like the car at all. Pics of the upcoming GV70 absolutely pique my interest. And my wife's fully loaded Forester still feels like home, a comfortable awesome old shoe.

So that was a little disappointing.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:51 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
^^^
OMG, that blue is hideous. The seats look cheap. The floating skullcap over the speedo... and the 3 pods... that does not look right at all. And you would think that even a spy shot would represent a proper 6MT, but nope. This is a mess.

Hmmm.
The blue suede shoe edition? I was trying to figure out an exterior color that would look good with that, but I am coming up empty. So they have this option and one with yellow accents. Too much like the new BMW M3 interior colors. Hard pass.

Anyway, after circling the car a few times, and seeing the interior with my own eyes instead of online beauty shots, I definitely came away with a first impression. Sadly, that impression was "Meh." There were some design and trim components that were appealing, but overall the car was just "meh". Nothing about it drew me to the vehicle in any kind of emotional way. Nothing. It just looked like another mid-sized crossover, EV notwithstanding.
I saw the Mach-E at the Milwaukee Auto Show last year right before the covid lockdown and I came away with the same feeling- meh. And I was also wondering why they tried to latch it to a Mustang. It seems odd, but I guess it makes sense to try to tie it to a popular model and it has good straight line potential being an electric car.
Old 04-16-2021, 04:19 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
^^^

Hmmm.
Looks like the interior of my grandmother's 1992 Grand Marquis. Same awful light blue and horrendous ultrasuede material (call it alcantara and charge 5x as much, it still looks like garbage).
Old 04-26-2021, 03:24 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I noticed some spy shots online of the 2023 BMW M2 today that look very similar to ones I saw last month. More recently there have been rumors of an electric M2 w/ 1,300 hp!?! Sure... But from what little you can see of the actual car in this picture it looks like it will not get the huge ugly grille of the M3/M4 and keep similar proportions to the current M2.

Old 04-26-2021, 07:11 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
I noticed some spy shots online of the 2023 BMW M2 today that look very similar to ones I saw last month. More recently there have been rumors of an electric M2 w/ 1,300 hp!?! Sure... But from what little you can see of the actual car in this picture it looks like it will not get the huge ugly grille of the M3/M4 and keep similar proportions to the current M2.

Bored of the Jeep already?
Old 04-27-2021, 02:24 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RobC7
Bored of the Jeep already?
No it will probably serve as the tow vehicle for something seriously fast. Speaking of that, I see that Lotus announced the name for their last gasoline powered car today, the Emira.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/ele...r-called-emira

Old 04-27-2021, 11:10 PM
woofersus
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
That's excellent news. Looking forward to the next M2. Not sure if I will be able to wait until ~2025 to get a half-depreciated CPO example or if something else will win me over before that, but it's looking like it will have a lot going for it.
Old 04-28-2021, 11:26 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
Except for where it's obviously camouflaging the front and rear details, I kinda dig the monochrome swirl. I'd love to hear a traffic cop try to describe that at speed.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:23 PM
doctorg37xs
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Circling back to this thread since I just got a PM from someone with kind words about my G37xS Anniversary Edition that I used to own. Anyway, I sold the G to a really nice kid back in November and I'm glad that he's the one that bought it. I was lucky to find a 2017 6MT Tornado Red Golf R within 10 miles and I had to buy it within weeks of selling the G. I guess it was meant to be! In hindsight I'm happy I didn't hesitate because the used car market is insane right now.

I, too, like a couple of other members on this thread have found myself more on the three main VW forums learning as much as a I can about the car. I haven't done much yet outside of some clutch upgrades, winter / summer wheels & tires, and practical things like upgrading the infotainment screen, OBD 11, trunk cargo covers, and leather seat protectors for the car seats I lug around. Getting an H&R rear sway bar on soon once I get the time. Also have a COBB AP with a EQT Stage 1 93 octane tune on it, but I'll wait on flashing that until I'm bored of the stock power and save up enough $$$ for a stronger clutch.

Also had a second baby girl 9 weeks (in addition to our almost 3-year-old girl), so that's been more of the focus!

Anyway, the Golf R really is such a blast, and I'm happy to be back in a manual transmission. This car is fast, fast (to me at least) even at it's stock power. I'm fascinated by turbo since I've always owned N/A vehicles. I do miss the purr of the V6 in the G37xS, however the other aspects of the Golf R have really hit on everything I've been looking for in a daily driver. I'll also say that I probably learned the most/got most comfortable modding a vehicle with the almost 10 years I spent reading between the G35/G37 forums!

Here's the old car:

And the new:

The following 2 users liked this post by doctorg37xs:
4DRZ (04-28-2021), Lego_Maniac (04-29-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 08:55 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

In other news, I finally got a chance to take the Jeep off-road and got some mud on it. Still a pretty fun thing to do in a vehicle, but so much different than the fun you have at a race track.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?