G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 12:31 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
Had taken my BMW to a shop to get it aligned after my suspension overhaul and right across it were two dealerships. Decided to just look around and by my convenience there was a black 2006 Mercedes SL600 (R230) parked. I was interested to feel this car after driving the E55 AMG a few days ago (I know I'm sinning on BMW). All I got to say is that I had a huge grin on my face after the test drive! 510 hp and 612 ft-lb of torque is so much fun for this car, and made the car feel light when accelerating in a straight line. I later found out the performance figures were underrated on paper and that you could do a simple tune to achieve 630 wtq. The only thing I disliked was that it just felt too heavy in corners for a roadster, and that the convertible doesn't suit me. I probably would never put the top down which would be a waste. If I didn't have my project car I would have bought that SL600 on the spot just to enjoy for a year and then re-sell it. I will buy a V12 biturbo from this era Mercedes class range eventually.
Old 03-23-2021, 06:20 AM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 239 Likes on 165 Posts
I'm in love with the new Z. New pictures from Motortrend. This looks like the final production model to me. Dialed it back on the brakes at least with this model, has what looks like Akebono's.
The following 2 users liked this post by SupraOfDoom:
4DRZ (03-23-2021), Lego_Maniac (03-23-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 11:27 AM
RA081224
Banned

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by woofersus
I saw that, and I believe that number could easily be real but I'm betting it's not the base version. I'm still kind of expecting a lower base version in the 300hp range, an "S" version in the 400hp range, and then a later NISMO trim that comes with revised exhaust & tune and an appearance package.
Looks like Car and Driver is on the bandwagon for this. Still not sure another Nissan is in the cards for me next go around. Not looking for a manual gear box and if the auto in this incarnation is the same level of crap the 5AT and 7AT are, Ill run, not walk away
Old 03-23-2021, 11:46 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
There's a giant Chevron symbol in the hood. Call me crazy, but that looks for a fine design to support a vented hood. Or at least the appearance of one.

This is a great looking little car. The front end is OK, but not inspirational. The rear is awesome, and the profile is exactly Z.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-23-2021 at 11:51 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rochester:
4DRZ (03-23-2021), Lego_Maniac (03-23-2021), Mikes_vq (03-28-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 01:45 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
I don't like that grill, it would look much better with a steel mesh. The back end reminds me of a baby testarosa.
Old 03-23-2021, 03:38 PM
woofersus
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
There's a giant Chevron symbol in the hood. Call me crazy, but that looks for a fine design to support a vented hood. Or at least the appearance of one.

This is a great looking little car. The front end is OK, but not inspirational. The rear is awesome, and the profile is exactly Z.
Yeah, my thoughts were that the front looks a little less good than the shots of the proto, but the back looks even better and the profile is still iconic. And I really like that shade of silver, personally. I expect they're just trying to evoke the hood bulges of some past z-cars with that shape.

Originally Posted by ezbme
I don't like that grill, it would look much better with a steel mesh. The back end reminds me of a baby testarosa.
I don't like it either. An aftermarket black mesh grill would be on my short list.
Old 03-23-2021, 03:59 PM
woofersus
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Absinthe
Looks like Car and Driver is on the bandwagon for this. Still not sure another Nissan is in the cards for me next go around. Not looking for a manual gear box and if the auto in this incarnation is the same level of crap the 5AT and 7AT are, Ill run, not walk away
So, the new Titan has a 9-speed automatic transmission, and I've seen it announced for other future models as well - Pathfinder, Frontier, QX60, etc.. It seems they are replacing their older automatics and CVT's with it all over the place. I've read that the new 9-speed is the Mercedes 9G-tronic built by Jatco under license as part of the terms of the Daimler/Renault/Nissan tech sharing agreement. If true, that would be a pretty big upgrade. (and much better than the ZF 9-er) Maybe we could hope that transmission heads to the Q50/60 and the new Z next year? It's gotten good reviews so far in the Titan.
The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (03-23-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 05:05 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts

The front end looks very retro 240Z and I like it. The back end looks a lot better now and much wider than before. It must just be an optical illusion created by the spoiler. The back end looks very modern and retro at the same time and I am amazed that I like it in actual lighting to see how shadows and light bounce off of the design elements as opposed to all the bright lights of the release last fall that just make everything look super bright. Then again, the yellow color probably had something to do with that as well.

Z1 Motorsports posted up that these pics were actually in the USA so maybe a release is coming quicker than originally expected. Then again, maybe they are just doing torture testing on our roads before selling the car here. Either way, it seems very odd for Nissan to have leaked photos at this point without any camo. This car is still leading the charge for the replacement for my car, especially considering the Subaru STI prototype pictures that came out last week. Yuck!

Originally Posted by woofersus
So, the new Titan has a 9-speed automatic transmission, and I've seen it announced for other future models as well - Pathfinder, Frontier, QX60, etc.. It seems they are replacing their older automatics and CVT's with it all over the place. I've read that the new 9-speed is the Mercedes 9G-tronic built by Jatco under license as part of the terms of the Daimler/Renault/Nissan tech sharing agreement. If true, that would be a pretty big upgrade. (and much better than the ZF 9-er) Maybe we could hope that transmission heads to the Q50/60 and the new Z next year? It's gotten good reviews so far in the Titan.
The new 9 speed in the Titan and Frontier completely transforms those trucks along with the new engine tune in the Titan and entirely new engine in the Frontier. I did not think they would be very different, but they are both so much smoother and quieter than before. I am curios to try out the all-new 2022 Pathfinder and Frontier once they hit dealerships later this year.
Old 03-26-2021, 04:12 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

More good news about the next Nissan Z: https://www.autoevolution.com/news/a...ed-158254.html

Old 03-26-2021, 05:13 PM
Rochester
Administrator

OK, headlights are growing on my now. My first gut reaction from the proto was meh. But I'm liking them more now.

Overall, there's an elegant simplicity to the car. Very respectable.
Old 03-26-2021, 05:40 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

OK, headlights are growing on my now. My first gut reaction from the proto was meh. But I'm liking them more now.

Overall, there's an elegant simplicity to the car. Very respectable.
I feel the same way about the taillights and the rear end. I agree with your comment about the styling. Clean, simple lines usually age well.
Old 03-27-2021, 09:06 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
I think it's great. Gives a nod to some design cues from past models with a touch of modernism. That much car for $35k is insane.
Old 03-27-2021, 09:40 AM
Rochester
Administrator

If the base model gets the Akebono BBK and limited slip... that would be awesome. I don’t need heated/cooled seats or nav or nannies.

I wonder if all 6MT models get rev match.
Old 03-27-2021, 01:03 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

If the base model gets the Akebono BBK and limited slip... that would be awesome. I don’t need heated/cooled seats or nav or nannies.

I wonder if all 6MT models get rev match.
I am sure they will if the rumor is true about them using exactly the same transmission as the 370Z. You would think they would beef it up a bit for the added torque. The rev match feature was one I never really used when I had my 370Z. I was just glad the default setting was to have it off instead of the BMW M3 and M2 where a lot of the time you have to have it active. Lame.
Old 03-27-2021, 02:36 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Had a couple of opportunities to drive a Z with a revmatched 6MT, and to be honest I really liked it.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?