G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 10:22 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
No no, about getting a *Ford Ranger*. Getting a beater is an ongoing plan. I had written off Jeeps after my last one because I've BTDT and thought I was done. Wouldn't buy another for beach/mudding duty like I did the first time - but thinking of it as a pure, cheap utility vehicle. His new Jeep (I didn't actually know what a Gladiator was, now I see them everywhere) just shifted the inspiration particles sleeting down a little to the side. I had been thinking I needed/wanted an open truck bed which is why his ride connected the dots, so to speak - do I *need* a truck bed, or is a 5x8 trailer a better truck bed, along with something that can tow at least class 2.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:24 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Yes, his brand new, fully loaded Gladiator made me thing about getting a beater too.

Dude...
+3

Especially since permanent work from home is probably in my future.

My MIL wants a new car, I asked for first dibs before she trades in her 2011 Grand Cherokee. Fully loaded, Hemi, 50k blah blah blah. If it happens, I’d sell the R and get something 2 door RWD.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:24 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Ah, so the rethink is instead of getting a beater, get a brand new off-road monster. OK.

Words. Go figure.

Anyone curious to test drive the new Mach-E? I have to say I'm kind of interested. Don't hate me.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:45 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 1,072 Posts
Anyone curious to test drive the new Mach-E? I have to say I'm kind of interested. Don't hate me.
Surely you jest? Coming from someone who swears TOOTH-AND-NAIL over manual transmissions...!! Going from a 6MT to a 1AT...

Just poking a little fun. That Mustang "thing" is not my cup of tea- nor is anything electric at this point, but...

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 02-25-2021 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:57 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Not as a G replacement, but as a family car. We have a fully loaded 2018 Forester that will be paid-in-full this fall, and were kicking around the idea of passing it on to one of our girls in a year or two, and getting a EV crossover.
Old 02-25-2021, 05:30 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Yes, his brand new, fully loaded Gladiator made me thing about getting a beater too.

Dude...

I picked up the Gladiator Tue. night and had dinner with my best friend who is also a huge car nut. He initially thought I was nuts, but on closer inspection agreed that the Gladiator is a pretty rugged looking truck and very versatile. Yesterday, I put Auto Armor protection all over the interior and the plastic exterior trim, moved everything over from the G, and touched up the paint in the bed before I get a bed rug bed liner once it debuts for this truck in a few months. This thing has a lot of storage space inside, especially behind and under the rear seat. You can actually lock the rear seats in place so no one can get your valuables when the top is off. Nice.

LED lights are everywhere including the bed that made the spare tire in the box look awesome, behind the rear seat, in the cabin etc, but of course the one option it did not have was the LED headlights or fog lights. It does provide good lighting just because the lights are so high up. Surprisingly, it is also easy to upgrade to LED headlights and fog lights with just different bulbs, but they are spendy. They even make a 2 way fog light bulb that switches from fog to driving light. Cool.

Today was the first day driving my daughter to daycare with it and to work. It is much easier to get my daughter inside since I no longer have to bend over. As much as I love the sound of my G and the ride is good considering it is on coilovers, the Jeep is so much quieter and smoother- especially with the new wheels and tires compared to the ridiculous monster truck tires that were originally on it. I cannot wait to try these new tires out in the snow. No one at work has noticed yet, but it is amongst a lot of other cars so I am curious to see their reactions. Here are a few pics with the new wheels. They look a lot better in person than I thought. Now I am just trying to come up with clever license plate ideas.

Old 02-25-2021, 08:31 PM
General Grim
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Speaking of utility, I would want a nice truck for my next vehicle. I was thinking of a newer Ram 1500 with the 3.6 V6. It is a large truck that gets the same gas mileage and can do the same work load of a smaller truck like a Tacoma or Frontier. A big plus is the fact that it scored the best on the top safety picks. Trucks now a days have come a long way. A buddy of mine who lives a few blocks down has a Tacoma. We both have the same daily commute and he actually gets better gas mileage than my G lol. We both did a mileage test and he averaged 17.4 MPG and my G got 16.8 MPG. It was also cheaper to fill up his tank because he does not need premium.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:51 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by General Grim
Speaking of utility, I would want a nice truck for my next vehicle. I was thinking of a newer Ram 1500 with the 3.6 V6. It is a large truck that gets the same gas mileage and can do the same work load of a smaller truck like a Tacoma or Frontier. A big plus is the fact that it scored the best on the top safety picks. Trucks now a days have come a long way. A buddy of mine who lives a few blocks down has a Tacoma. We both have the same daily commute and he actually gets better gas mileage than my G lol. We both did a mileage test and he averaged 17.4 MPG and my G got 16.8 MPG. It was also cheaper to fill up his tank because he does not need premium.
I just read that about the crash test ratings on the Ram. To me full size trucks are just too big to drive and the beds are only a little bit larger than what I get in the Jeep. Any bigger than this thing would be too big, but that's just me. I have only driven back and forth to work once, but it looks like the G will still get slightly better mileage. As you mentioned, the cheaper gas in the Jeep should more than make up for it.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:33 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Did anyone see this article about the new WRX & STI? It sounds like they will get nice power increases. Let's hope they look nothing like the pictures though.

https://carbuzz.com/news/purists-won...aru-wrx-option

Old 03-02-2021, 10:41 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I don't understand the chunky fenders around the wheels. Aren't wheels typically circular?

That's a messed up look. Looks about as proper as the inverse here:

Old 03-02-2021, 11:00 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I don't understand the chunky fenders around the wheels. Aren't wheels typically circular?

That's a messed up look. Looks about as proper as the inverse here:

I agree. Those Chevy pickups with boxed wheel wells?? It's like the designers just gave up.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:37 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Did anyone see this article about the new WRX & STI? It sounds like they will get nice power increases. Let's hope they look nothing like the pictures though.

https://carbuzz.com/news/purists-won...aru-wrx-option

Ugh. Not that I was expecting Subaru to really put together a looker. Because Subaru. 394 HP and a 6MT would go a long way at least. And maybe it would look better in black??
Old 03-07-2021, 11:30 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Our BMW store across the street from my work got in a new M4 last week and I finally got a chance to check it out up close. Don't worry, the front end is every bit as ugly in person as it is in pictures. Especially in the stupid primer gray color that Audi popularized years ago and now everyone seems to be using. (It's even available on a Nissan Murano & Rogue now?!?) I am sure the aftermarket will eventually come up with a better front bumper. Pretty much impossible not to improve upon that eyesore. Anyway, the rest of the car certainly looks the business. They do stagger the rim size with 19's in the front and 20's in the rear now like they did on the CS. (As I noticed on the significantly more attractive used blue CS they had just a few paces away.) They also went to 6 piston front calipers, but a silly 1 piston sliding rear caliper. Odd choice to go with less powerful rear calipers on a performance car that now has quite a bit more power.

This beauty was just a few steps away and infinitely easier on the eyes. What a stunner!

Only 10,000 miles, but these brakes have seen some serious work- look at all the cracks! A full set of these rotors is $16,000!?!

For $25,000 less this car was parked right next to the CS and it even had a stick shift. It also had every available option I would ever want and in a great color too. What a coincidence. This is a very tough car to beat for the money.

Old 03-08-2021, 08:20 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
I just can't believe BMW execs probably looked at dozens of front fascia renderings and went "Yea...this is the one...Really captures that pissed off gopher look we were going for"
The following 2 users liked this post by RMB5190:
4DRZ (03-08-2021), RA081224 (03-11-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 08:41 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I can't believe the fugly little calipers on that M4, lamely painted blue. That's such an embarrassing look. Like seeing a car with rear drums that someone painted red. (We've all see that.)
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
4DRZ (03-08-2021), rotarymike (03-09-2021)

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?