G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 03:30 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by RobC7
It's not a GM V8. The sound, feel, and overall simplicity of the small block makes it a winner in my book. GM makes a stellar V8 setup but I don't have any confidence in any other engines they build. I haven't seen anything in particular that is a big issue with the LF4, I just hope it doesn't have timing chain issues as some older GMs other V6s. At the end of the day, if you run into issues with either it will still be cheaper than fixing a M3/M4.

The oil cooler definitely helped in the later models. My concern is the compact packing + additional heat from the twin turbo setup. I'm sure this will be addressed as they would have a hard time marketing this car without track capabilities.
Chevy does make a good old school pushrod V8, but just like our cars it takes a lot more work to get the same type of HP gains as this twin turbo V6. The tech. seems a lot more advanced on this V6 and it should be even more durable with titanium connecting rods, titanium turbines, strengthened valves, etc.

https://media.cadillac.com/media/ca/...atsv/2016.html

This video with the Chief Engineer for the ATS-V was pretty cool to watch too. It seems like they really did their homework to make this car very capable on track and they sure spent a lot of effort on all the cooling systems as well- as you pointed out earlier; crucial for good track performance.

Old 01-21-2021, 04:34 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Yea, the ATS-V is an absolute brute and that V6 is no joke. As OP said, they put a lot of effort into that motor vs. your typical eco box V6. The one hang-up you could possibly have is the sound; they aren't the prettiest sounding motors.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:49 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RMB5190
Yea, the ATS-V is an absolute brute and that V6 is no joke. As OP said, they put a lot of effort into that motor vs. your typical eco box V6. The one hang-up you could possibly have is the sound; they aren't the prettiest sounding motors.
Very true, but a different exhaust fixes that pretty easily. A friend of mine put (I think) a Borla exhaust on his wife's A/T ATS-V coupe and it sounded pretty good.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:54 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

If you have been waiting to buy a replica car that comes complete with a motor; good news. The bill that SEMA fought to get passed in 2015 can finally get implemented now by the NHTSA. So get ready for brand new Cobra, Delorean, Lotus Super 7, etc. replicas. I bet DMC is stoked about this news.

https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/re...-to-go-on-sale

Old 01-21-2021, 06:05 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
If you have been waiting to buy a replica car that comes complete with a motor; good news. The bill that SEMA fought to get passed in 2015 can finally get implemented now by the NHTSA. So get ready for brand new Cobra, Delorean, Lotus Super 7, etc. replicas. I bet DMC is stoked about this news.

https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/re...-to-go-on-sale

It was winter between 1981 and 1982, and I was drooling over the DeLorean that I saw in a full page ad, in OMNI Magazine, if anyone remembers that. Anyway, I called the 800 number, and was told a Ford dealership one town over had one in their showroom. My parents let me drive there to gawk at it.

Man, I remember that moment like it just happened yesterday. But it was 40 years ago.

Gull wing doors with SS finish... take that, Malcolm Bricklin, LOL.

Last edited by Rochester; 01-21-2021 at 06:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (01-21-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 06:14 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
It was winter between 1981 and 1982, and I was drooling over the DeLorean that I saw in a full page ad, in OMNI Magazine, if anyone remembers that. Anyway, I called the 800 number, and was told a Ford dealership one town over had one in their showroom. My parents let me drive there to gawk at it.

Man, I remember that moment like it just happened yesterday. But it was 40 years ago.

That's a cool story and a car that aged remarkably well. There are two of them driving around my area in the warmer months, one of them a full Back to the Future replica. They still catch my eye every time I see them.
Old 01-21-2021, 07:31 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester

My buddies dad had one. Oddly enough, he owed an Oldsmobile dealership, so it was an odd pairing. This was in 1987 or so. It was sweet. But literally, always broken.

I use to call the 800 numbers and ask for swag and literature In my best grown up voice, "I'm interested in buying a 911 and would like to request a brochure"
ogb (01-24-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 07:57 PM
Rochester
Administrator

My best friend from college, his uncle bought one new. It was always in the shop, always.

Heard this countless times... "My uncle's DeLorean broke down again last week."

In case anyone is wondering about the Malcolm Bricklin comment... there's a 1974 SV1 in the garage a couple doors down from me. Another gull-wing that's pretty to look at, but genuinely a crappy car.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:35 AM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I have spent a lot of wrench time on my 2013 G37S 6MT so it will be hard to get rid of when it comes time. I plan to keep it for a number of years, but as a gear head, it is always fun to look at the possibilities.

If I am still looking for a high performance street/track car with 4 doors, then I think there are really only 3 options for me.

BMW M3 Competition package- This would be a fun daily/track car and a very likely replacement for my G37S

Cadillac ATS V- Probably the most practical track car on the planet and probably what will replace my G37S if I don't get lured in by the significantly better styling of the M3

Alfa Rome Gulia Quadrifoglio- Such a looker and apparently such a screamer and handler as well. Now if only we could get it here with a manual it would probably replace my G37S

My vote is for the Alfa. I fell in love with it as soon as it came out. I'm a muscle car guy at my core, but there's just something about a good sounding V6/I6 that I just can't stay away from lol And the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio fits the bill. The fact that its already an absolutely beautiful car and it handles well are just very expensive bonuses lol
On a side note, the Audi RS3 would be another very worthy replacement in my opinion. It can be a sleeper if you want it to be, even from factory, or you can make it look, perform and sound like a monster. Plus a bonus is that the turbo inline-5 sounds like a baby V10 with the right exhaust setup.
SupraOfDoom (02-04-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 09:24 AM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by BoomerSpeed01
My vote is for the Alfa. I fell in love with it as soon as it came out. I'm a muscle car guy at my core, but there's just something about a good sounding V6/I6 that I just can't stay away from lol And the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio fits the bill. The fact that its already an absolutely beautiful car and it handles well are just very expensive bonuses lol
On a side note, the Audi RS3 would be another very worthy replacement in my opinion. It can be a sleeper if you want it to be, even from factory, or you can make it look, perform and sound like a monster. Plus a bonus is that the turbo inline-5 sounds like a baby V10 with the right exhaust setup.
If a manual is a requirement both of those options go out the window.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:19 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I strongly disliked the Giulia when it first came out, irrespective of performance (or repairs). But somewhere along the line my opinion turned over, and now I think it's gorgeous. Go figure.

But like Rob just implied, doesn't make much sense to me getting a car like that without a manual transmission. And since one isn't available... might as well pine after the Stelvio. Or toss around the new Tonale, whenever that comes.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:17 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RobC7
If a manual is a requirement both of those options go out the window.
I agree. I would much rather have a manual transmission, while they still exist. The Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio and RS3 are both excellent cars, but not at the top of my list due to the transmission- just like the GT-R.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:22 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
I know Z1 or ConceptZ or similar put a 6-speed (with lots of effort) into a Red Sport. I wonder if the same could be done with the GT-R? You'd likely lose AWD though.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:16 AM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
I know Z1 or ConceptZ or similar put a 6-speed (with lots of effort) into a Red Sport. I wonder if the same could be done with the GT-R? You'd likely lose AWD though.
Bigger problem with that swap is it runs well over $10k to do. And sure, if you live in Phoenix, maybe it wouldn't be horrible. But us east coast guys? We'd either have to ship or drive it across the country too. All in all, too much of a hassle on a good, but not great car.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:53 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
Oh, I meant to find a way to put a 6-speed in a GTR

Pretty sure you could find a shop with the chops on the east coast. The folks that build the Ariel Atoms near ViR f'rinstance do custom work too I've been told. Any shop that handles replicas.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?