G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 07:24 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Here are some videos from BMW M about the new M3 and M4 technology

Last edited by 4DRZ; 01-19-2021 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:59 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Hey OP, what do you think your cap is on whatever the next car stickers at? Realistically.

IIRC, the 6MT Sedan had a $42k MSRP, but could be had off the showroom for $37k on a good deal. I paid $32k for a car not yet one year old and only a couple thousand miles. Based on that, what I like in cars, where I'm at financially now and expect to be when buying the next car... I'm figuring to get a car somewhere around $40k, give or take five grand. And that probably means another car barely pre-owned.

I've been doing a boatload of financial planning this winter, and it's highly likely the car I get next is the car I retire with.
Old 01-19-2021, 11:19 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Hey OP, what do you think your cap is on whatever the next car stickers at? Realistically.
That's an excellent question and one I have been giving lots of thought to lately. 2020 was the first year I started putting aside money for the next car and I somehow managed to save $25k!! It seems like a lot to me because it was my worst year financially out of 18 years in the auto industry. I doubt I will save that much this year since I promised my wife a new patio and pergola and the last estimate I saw was for $15,000!?!

Initially I was also thinking something in the $40k range. I can still find a a rare ATS-V 6spd. sedan or M3 6spd at that price. That should also be enough to get a new Z or STI as well. If I go for an M2 Competition, most of those are closer to $50k and then at that point I also start looking at newer M3's and older GT-R's. The longer I wait, the more I will save so I am not 100% sure where I will cap myself. Yesterday I was building a brand new red M3 online for about $75k. If the new CT4-V Blackwing is really, really good I might splurge for a new one, but I doubt I would do that for a new M3- that front end is just so UGLY!
Old 01-19-2021, 11:26 AM
Rochester
Administrator

You saved $25k in one year for next car? Everything is relative, but holy cow!

Old 01-19-2021, 11:58 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
I think I'm keeping the Infiniti until I hit 100K at least. Still have mods to do, still enjoying the car with no major mechanical issues (knock on wood). So I think our next car will be replacing my wife's 2015 CX5, and she's eyeing a BMW X3 which are about $45? I think. She'll never buy used again, so there's that.

For me, I think when the G is paid off I'm going to get a Miata as a supplemental weekend car. That's 2 more years, and by then my daughter should be able to sit in the front both legally and height/weight wise. But... at least 2 years out. When it is time to replace the G, then I'll have to do some hard thinking, mostly about whether I *need* a manual in my daily driver. (hint: yes.)

Also - $25K in a year is pretty boss. We are taking a hit this year with new windows for the house, and probably a new storage shed/workshop. But then again, I get all my machine shop tools out of the garage so that's a win, really.
Old 01-19-2021, 01:17 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/01...-1000-deposit/

Sounds like the first 500 will sell out quick. Hopefully they depreciate enough where they become attainable and then hold their value like the CTS-V wagons .

This will be Cadillac's last 'hoorah' before they go EV.
Old 01-19-2021, 04:42 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
You saved $25k in one year for next car? Everything is relative, but holy cow!

We got lucky and did not have any big expenses last year (knocks on wood) or trips with covid so I think that helped a lot. I bet I am lucky if I save up $15k this year, but that's my goal. The other thing that will help me save up is time. I promised myself I would not get a new car until I at least got to drive the next generation Z, STI, and maybe that Hyundai/Genesis mid engine beast they are working on. That should give me at least another year or two.

Originally Posted by RobC7
https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/01...-1000-deposit/

Sounds like the first 500 will sell out quick. Hopefully they depreciate enough where they become attainable and then hold their value like the CTS-V wagons .

This will be Cadillac's last 'hoorah' before they go EV.
There was a black '16 ATS-V sedan 6spd. w/ 30k in AL online for 1 day last Friday before it sold for $37k. Those seem to be the best bang for the buck at the moment. The only problem is that they are tough to find and next to impossible to find with all 7 options that I want.

So I just spent a solid 5 minutes zooming in and staring at the picture below of the new Nissan Z dash drooling over the fact that it has an oil temp, water temp, and even a differential temp gauge. Does this mean I have a track car problem? I surely hope so. I wonder it it means the car will have a rear differential cooler or hopefully, at least a cover with more capacity and cooling fins.

It looks like it has a shift light at the top. I wonder if I would even notice it on track. A heads up display would be nice. I just checked out Nissan's 1st attempt at a heads up display on the new Rogue Platinum. The default setting is too bright and too high up, but once adjusted it does the neat trick of appearing like it is at the end of the hood where your eyes are actually looking instead of on the windshield. I wonder if the Z will be available with a heads up display.

Old 01-19-2021, 05:13 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
There was a black '16 ATS-V sedan 6spd. w/ 30k in AL online for 1 day last Friday before it sold for $37k. Those seem to be the best bang for the buck at the moment. The only problem is that they are tough to find and next to impossible to find with all 7 options that I want.

So I just spent a solid 5 minutes zooming in and staring at the picture below of the new Nissan Z dash drooling over the fact that it has an oil temp, water temp, and even a differential temp gauge. Does this mean I have a track car problem? I surely hope so. I wonder it it means the car will have a rear differential cooler or hopefully, at least a cover with more capacity and cooling fins.

It looks like it has a shift light at the top. I wonder if I would even notice it on track. A heads up display would be nice. I just checked out Nissan's 1st attempt at a heads up display on the new Rogue Platinum. The default setting is too bright and too high up, but once adjusted it does the neat trick of appearing like it is at the end of the hood where your eyes are actually looking instead of on the windshield. I wonder if the Z will be available with a heads up display.
For that price the ATS-V is a great value. I love the exterior styling but I don't love the v6 or the interior (especially the tiny gauges).

I would think with the added power/handling it must have an improved cooling setup compared to the 370z because if it doesn't then it will be a complete failure on the track. FYI, the 370z also had a adjustable shift light indicator so I would not be surprised if they keep that functionality. Interior looks good, I approve!
Old 01-19-2021, 07:25 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 1,072 Posts
So I just spent a solid 5 minutes zooming in and staring at...the new Nissan Z dash...has an oil temp, water temp, and even a differential temp gauge.
While I'm not a fan of this digital dash trend that most are drooling for, I do wonder how much customization- if any- the cluster will have.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:26 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I found myself digging all the leather wrapped surfaces. Its a good looking dash.
Old 01-21-2021, 01:32 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RobC7
For that price the ATS-V is a great value. I love the exterior styling but I don't love the v6 or the interior (especially the tiny gauges).

I would think with the added power/handling it must have an improved cooling setup compared to the 370z because if it doesn't then it will be a complete failure on the track. FYI, the 370z also had a adjustable shift light indicator so I would not be surprised if they keep that functionality. Interior looks good, I approve!
What's not to love about a V6 that puts out nearly 600 hp with not much more that just a tune? I agree with you on the interior. It is decent and I get what they were trying to do, but it's just not as nice as the M3. However the adaptive suspension is world's better than the M3 suspension. It rides so much smoother, but surprisingly it outperforms the M3 on the track. The gauges do look really cheap on the interior of the ATS-V too, but the small digital sections actually provide useful info. I would get one with a heads up display so I could at least see my corner entry & exit speeds on track, but I am not sure how good it looks or how well it works. The only one I got to drive did not have it.

The 370Z up until 2012 did not have an oil cooler (and of course, I had a 2011). Maybe that is what you are referring to? But I have not had any cooling issues with my G with the same engine and an oil cooler. The prototype "400Z" going around the Nurburgring a while ago had bigger holes cut out of the front bumper so I am sure it will be fine on track. I forgot that my Z had a shift light. Goes to show just how useful it was. Then again, I hardly tracked that car at all. I do like the interior much better than the current 370Z, but there are still some pretty obvious carry over elements from the 370Z- like the air vents/door handles and the seats look pretty similar. But I figure that is a small price to pay for a new Z that should be in a different performance world than the 370Z.

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
While I'm not a fan of this digital dash trend that most are drooling for, I do wonder how much customization- if any- the cluster will have.
I agree. I don't need it to be digital, but I am glad to see all the temp gauges that will come in very handy for track days. I could do without the 2 boost gauges and turbo rpm, but I guess it is vaguely better than a clock. The customization will probably be pretty minor, like which gauges you want to see displayed. I would not expect anything quite as involved as the GT-R screens.
Old 01-21-2021, 01:41 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
I'm torn. My experience with a BMW 330d made me despise the pure digital dash - but it you can configure it for a less cluttered, useful performance display, then it might grow on me.
Old 01-21-2021, 01:42 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Speaking of the new Nissan Z, did anyone read an article in the last month just barely mentioning that the car was expected to use new carbon fiber technology? I cannot seem to find it anywhere now, but I did post up an article last fall about Nissan developing a way to make carbon fiber much quicker and cheaper. It would be awesome to see Nissan use this in the chassis to increase strength and reduce weight, but I have a feeling they would have mentioned that by now. I bet if anything they just use it for the ground effects.

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/09/ni...s-market-cars/

Old 01-21-2021, 01:57 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rotarymike
I'm torn. My experience with a BMW 330d made me despise the pure digital dash - but it you can configure it for a less cluttered, useful performance display, then it might grow on me.
I know what you mean about some of those digital dashes. It can sometimes take a while just to find the setting that shows the damn speedometer! The new Z dash seems pretty simple and even a little easier to read than Porsche's 911 digital dash with 5 circles of info. compared to the Z's 4 circles. Everyone seems to rave about the Porsche dash.

What would be really cool is if the 3 gauges on top of the dash were digital so you could customize what those showed too. I would also like to see a heads up display too since those are usually very simplified and right where you are looking on track. I doubt Nissan will do either of those 2 things, but they would be cool.

Old 01-21-2021, 03:00 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

What's not to love about a V6 that puts out nearly 600 hp with not much more that just a tune? I agree with you on the interior. It is decent and I get what they were trying to do, but it's just not as nice as the M3. However the adaptive suspension is world's better than the M3 suspension. It rides so much smoother, but surprisingly it outperforms the M3 on the track. The gauges do look really cheap on the interior of the ATS-V too, but the small digital sections actually provide useful info. I would get one with a heads up display so I could at least see my corner entry & exit speeds on track, but I am not sure how good it looks or how well it works. The only one I got to drive did not have it.

The 370Z up until 2012 did not have an oil cooler (and of course, I had a 2011). Maybe that is what you are referring to? But I have not had any cooling issues with my G with the same engine and an oil cooler. The prototype "400Z" going around the Nurburgring a while ago had bigger holes cut out of the front bumper so I am sure it will be fine on track. I forgot that my Z had a shift light. Goes to show just how useful it was. Then again, I hardly tracked that car at all. I do like the interior much better than the current 370Z, but there are still some pretty obvious carry over elements from the 370Z- like the air vents/door handles and the seats look pretty similar. But I figure that is a small price to pay for a new Z that should be in a different performance world than the 370Z *cough 15-16 z06 cough*.
It's not a GM V8. The sound, feel, and overall simplicity of the small block makes it a winner in my book. GM makes a stellar V8 setup but I don't have any confidence in any other engines they build. I haven't seen anything in particular that is a big issue with the LF4, I just hope it doesn't have timing chain issues as some older GMs other V6s. At the end of the day, if you run into issues with either it will still be cheaper than fixing a M3/M4.

The oil cooler definitely helped in the later models. My concern is the compact packing + additional heat from the twin turbo setup. I'm sure this will be addressed as they would have a hard time marketing this car without track capabilities.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?