G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 05:48 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by RMB5190
If you can swing it though, more power to you. I can live vicariously through other's more expensive builds.
I agree. That and the fact that I would also spend money on significant mods on an M2 is another reason I would look at a used one instead of new.

Originally Posted by Joyryde
Good work on pursuing to make videos Peter! I will definitely keep watching your new uploads. I want to see a review of your car next

About the BMW review, I would still take an E46 M3 over any M2 or M4 since electric power steering always sucks from my experience. One of the best driver cars ever made in the last 20 years and handles exponentially better than rivals of its time like the Nissan Skyline R34 hype crowds rave about. If only it came with an S62 V8 option. M3 GTR had a race car V8 but was limited production.
Thanks man! My own car review is coming. Just need to figure out this camera business. The steering was really good in the M2 and the wheel is much nicer and thicker than in the E46. I know you hold a special place for that car and you should, but I owned one and the M2 just absolutely destroys the E46 in every performance category, build quality, materials, etc. etc. But to be expected in a new car vs. one that is about to turn 20.

Originally Posted by Rochester
Spent $32k on mine. Felt like a lot of money then. Heck, feels like a lot of money now. But if you add what I spent on mods... ouch.

I'd love to test drive a M2.
I agree with you on the money and the mods. I try not to think about the fact that the money I spent on mods on the G could pay for a new Altima. You would love driving the M2. Absolutely great car. All the reviews that say it is the best car since the E46 M3 are right, but they usually forget to mention that it is in fact the better car.

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Awesome car, but a different price range than I'm playing in.

I think most people will have a different definition or 'usable back seat space' and 'plenty of room'. Casual use, I guess, but if you're getting a kid in and out of the back on a daily basis, that would suck.
Compared to pretty much any other 2 door, the M2 has a shocking amount of back seat room. I will have to wait until my daughter is big enough to get into her own car seat, but I think she could probably do it now if she needed to. She climbs on everything and has long limbs. This does give me another excuse to wait to see what the new Z, STI, and CT4-V Blackwing bring to the table. Exciting times to be a car nut!
Old 11-25-2020, 07:22 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by doctorg37xs

it’s been 3 weeks now since I sold my 2010 7AT Graphite Shadow G37xS Anniversary Edition Sedan and picked up this 2017 6MT Tornado Red Golf R.

First impressions? It’s a “better” car for me objectively and subjectively. I’m loving it in its stock form, and I’m excited about the power it can produce.

I will miss the ability to throw really wide tires on. I had 255/45’s on my G37, and the Golf chassis seems to comfortably max out at 245/40–although recently looking at the tread width of 245 Michelin PS4S’s seems to match up to that of my old 255 BF Goodrich’s.

Anyway, it’s been a blast reading through these forums over the past decade (I initially had a G35), but I guess I’m a VW convert for now. The people on the two big VW forums and the big Facebook VW group have been extremely helpful as well.

Happy driving, y’all!
Congrats! I think you're the 3 or 4th person to move to an R. I echo the sentiment that it's a "better" car for what a lot of us are looking for. Is it a track weapon--no. But it's a fantastic daily driver capable of low 12s for not much $$$, handles well, and has just enough creature comfort (actual cup holders) and tech (apple car play) to make for a great DD.

I miss the look of 275/35/19 tires from the back, and the R is somewhat limited in width. But as you said, not all tires are created equal even in the same size. I'm running PSS in the stock 235/35/19 size and the tread width is 0.7" wider than OEM.

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Compared to pretty much any other 2 door, the M2 has a shocking amount of back seat room. I will have to wait until my daughter is big enough to get into her own car seat, but I think she could probably do it now if she needed to. She climbs on everything and has long limbs. This does give me another excuse to wait to see what the new Z, STI, and CT4-V Blackwing bring to the table. Exciting times to be a car nut!

How often do you use your G to cart around your wife and daughter?

In my experience at least, it's more than just being able to get into the car seat. It's also being able to get in and out of the car. Virtually impossible to open and close the door from the back seat for a kid. Guessing if you're considering a Z that you almost never use your car for family duties.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:22 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
@Lego_Maniac exactly. Two seaters are out of the question for me; as well as most 2+2. If I get something that's fun to drive I'm going to drive it when I can. We have an SUV but if I can avoid driving it...Sedans or hatches/wagons are my market for the foreseeable future. Golf R was on my radar but with the way the auctions were shut down at the time I was ready to buy, I went with what checked the most boxes on the dealer's lot.

Couple mods and those VW are crazy quick....
Old 11-25-2020, 08:35 AM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
I have 4 kids myself so a sedan is actually the minimum. When are we going to get station wagons with rear facing third rows again???
Old 11-25-2020, 08:52 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RMB5190
@Lego_Maniac exactly. Two seaters are out of the question for me; as well as most 2+2. If I get something that's fun to drive I'm going to drive it when I can. We have an SUV but if I can avoid driving it...Sedans or hatches/wagons are my market for the foreseeable future. Golf R was on my radar but with the way the auctions were shut down at the time I was ready to buy, I went with what checked the most boxes on the dealer's lot.

Couple mods and those VW are crazy quick....
I've tried to find a way to mentally justify a 2 door, but for where I am now (7 and 9 year old kids) it just isn't feasible. At least prior to Covid, my wife left before me and got home after me, which put me on point for picking up and dropping off the kids. A 2+2 just isn't realistic unfortunately, because it would otherwise open up a bunch of other cars to consider. I want to have my cake and eat it too, so I want to be able to take my family in my car.

Guy recently hit 11.8 with a downpipe, intercooler and piggyback tune....crazy for probably $1500 invested.

Originally Posted by ryanwhite74115
I have 4 kids myself so a sedan is actually the minimum. When are we going to get station wagons with rear facing third rows again???
E-Class Wagon still has a rear facing third row IIRC. But not in the AMG version
Old 11-25-2020, 08:53 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Over the course of a single year, I can count on one hand the number of times anyone has sat in my back seat. And back when I bought it, my youngest was no longer in a booster.

The reason why I got the Sedan over the Coupe (because both were equally valid ambitions 10 years ago), is that the Sport Sedan just felt more comfortable than the Sport Coupe. That was it.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:28 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,318 Likes on 1,069 Posts
Over the course of a single year, I can count on one hand the number of times anyone has sat in my back seat.
LOL, I have a Coupe, and I can count on one hand the number of times anyone has ever sat in the back seat. Three.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:35 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
LOL, I have a Coupe, and I can count on one hand the number of times anyone has ever sat in the back seat. Three.
Sounds like a rear seat delete might be in order. #RACECAR
Old 11-25-2020, 09:41 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Have you ever sat in the back seat of your own car while someone else is driving? It's a very out-of-body experience. Not sure why.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:33 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Congrats! I think you're the 3 or 4th person to move to an R. I echo the sentiment that it's a "better" car for what a lot of us are looking for. Is it a track weapon--no. But it's a fantastic daily driver capable of low 12s for not much $$$, handles well, and has just enough creature comfort (actual cup holders) and tech (apple car play) to make for a great DD.

I miss the look of 275/35/19 tires from the back, and the R is somewhat limited in width. But as you said, not all tires are created equal even in the same size. I'm running PSS in the stock 235/35/19 size and the tread width is 0.7" wider than OEM.

How often do you use your G to cart around your wife and daughter?

In my experience at least, it's more than just being able to get into the car seat. It's also being able to get in and out of the car. Virtually impossible to open and close the door from the back seat for a kid. Guessing if you're considering a Z that you almost never use your car for family duties.
Did you get Brembos for your Golf R?

The entire family will almost never be in my car. I usually drop my daughter off at day care in the mornings which is a whopping 2 minute drive and my wife picks her up. When we go somewhere as a family we take her Rogue because she thinks my car is bumpy. (Seems fine to me) If I got a Z I would probably keep my G for some daily driving, but I would prefer just to have one car. If I got a 2dr. with a back seat I would be folding the front seat down for my daughter to get in and making sure the straps on her car seat are tight, but I think I need her to be able to climb into and out of the car seat. Leaning that far over into the back seat of a two door with her in my arms as she continues to get bigger and heavier does not sound like a great idea for my back.

Have you ever sat in the back seat of your own car while someone else is driving? It's a very out-of-body experience. Not sure why.
It totally is. I keep trying to steer.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:50 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Did you get Brembos for your Golf R?
Yes, in the front.

The entire family will almost never be in my car. I usually drop my daughter off at day care in the mornings which is a whopping 2 minute drive and my wife picks her up. When we go somewhere as a family we take her Rogue because she thinks my car is bumpy. (Seems fine to me) If I got a Z I would probably keep my G for some daily driving, but I would prefer just to have one car. If I got a 2dr. with a back seat I would be folding the front seat down for my daughter to get in and making sure the straps on her car seat are tight, but I think I need her to be able to climb into and out of the car seat. Leaning that far over into the back seat of a two door with her in my arms as she continues to get bigger and heavier does not sound like a great idea for my back.
Cool, if you think you can make it work, more power to ya. As your daughter gets older and schedules change, you might reevaluate the need for 4 doors so she can get in and out of the car on her own. Parents can't get out of the car at car pool drop off, so there is no realistic way I could manage a two door. I purposely want to avoid a car my wife doesn't want to use to cart the family around so I'm not stuck driving her car. Not that a stage 1 A4 is a penalty box or anything
Old 11-25-2020, 03:10 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
Yes, in the front.

Cool, if you think you can make it work, more power to ya. As your daughter gets older and schedules change, you might reevaluate the need for 4 doors so she can get in and out of the car on her own. Parents can't get out of the car at car pool drop off, so there is no realistic way I could manage a two door. I purposely want to avoid a car my wife doesn't want to use to cart the family around so I'm not stuck driving her car. Not that a stage 1 A4 is a penalty box or anything
All of you guys aren’t thinking outside of the box. You can sell kids to Creed Bratton for around $7000-$12,000 each. Enough money for modifications for a 2 door coupé. I don’t think anyone’s wife would be happy with that executive decision though.
Old 11-25-2020, 03:15 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Yes, in the front.

Nice calipers! Are they off another car and bolt right up?

That is a good point about a school drop off that I did not consider. Although I know the M2 has a release on the outside of both seats as well as a power control for the back to slide the seat forward. My sparcos have releases on both sides so I could easily flip it forward for her too. I think I could make it work...
Old 11-25-2020, 03:21 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
There are days mine might consider it.
Old 11-25-2020, 03:30 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Nice calipers! Are they off another car and bolt right up?
Yes, Porsche Macan base and S models have the same front hubs so they bolt right on--just need new lines, and rotors off the MK6 generation R. VAG shares a lot of stuff across platforms.

That is a good point about a school drop off that I did not consider. Although I know the M2 has a release on the outside of both seats as well as a power control for the back to slide the seat forward. My sparcos have releases on both sides so I could easily flip it forward for her too. I think I could make it work...
It's not just the release, how is she going to open/close the passenger side door from the rear seat? IDK, maybe if the inside handle is far enough back she could manipulate it while the seat is slid forward, at least to open it, but what is she going to grab to close it with

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?