G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2020, 04:12 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
I hope it drives better than the Veloster Turbo. That was very weak sauce.
Old 11-03-2020, 04:28 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
I hope it drives better than the Veloster Turbo. That was very weak sauce.
Oh it does. Completely different car...
Old 11-03-2020, 05:09 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
My friend recently got a 2019 Veloster N and its really impressive. I've never been in a standard Veloster though.
Old 11-04-2020, 12:01 AM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 294 Likes on 194 Posts
Here is the R:
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/11/03/...#slide-2275116

Looks like the manual is here to stay. I think I like the look of the current gen more but I'll just wait to see it in person to make that call.
The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (11-04-2020)
Old 11-04-2020, 08:43 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by RobC7
Here is the R:
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/11/03/...#slide-2275116

Looks like the manual is here to stay. I think I like the look of the current gen more but I'll just wait to see it in person to make that call.
Cool, they sure kept the 6MT under wraps until the last minute

I'd like to have seen fixed piston brakes but thats easy enough to fix. Can't wait to see the new STI
Old 11-04-2020, 09:29 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
The article claims 40% of the target market for that car want a manual transmission. I'm not knocking that, but it sure seems high, considering trends in the US.

It also said that, "Going in a straight line isn't the R's claim to fame", right after claiming 4.7 seconds zero-to-sixty. That's an odd match up of statements, IMO, because 4.7 seconds is fast for a DD. Just is.

Whatever, I'm sure the car is awesome. AWD, 6MT, sport suspension and fast off the line. Sounds like a serious driver's car. Still wouldn't want one, but I totally get the vibe.

Anyone look twice at the gear selector on the AT car in those pics? My first thought was this:

Last edited by Rochester; 11-04-2020 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-04-2020, 10:41 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Anyone look twice at the gear selector on the AT car in those pics?
Looks very similar to the current 911 selector.
Old 11-04-2020, 10:49 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Looks very similar to the current 911 selector.
I think my reaction is due to the paradigm shift of contemporary AT gear selection moving from the center console to flappy paddles. Since I've never personally owned an AT car that you can put in "manual mode", it's not something I've had to transition through.
Old 11-04-2020, 09:05 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

So I have read a few articles on the Golf R today. Initially I was disappointed to see that the performance, styling, and brakes were only marginally improved while the tire size stays identical. Then I decided that it is probably the cleanest looking style you can have for a VW hatchback and the interior is really nice. Somehow it seems to have lost the look of a roller skate from the back compared to the last generation. I bet it will also have the cleanest lines and best fit and finish as well as highest quality interior by a country mile compared to anything that costs within $10,000 of it. It would make a great car for me driving around town as a daily driver and bombing around on twisty back roads.

However, I still really enjoy track days. To the point that they are almost a type of therapy for me- speed therapy, if you will. This car would be an absolute money pit to try to turn into a competent track car. It could be done, but I would much rather prefer a car that was designed to be on track in the first place. This means I echo Lego's statement about looking forward to the next STI. Hopefully, they finally upgrade their performance significantly. The Type RA and S209 are good signs that they can produce a very competent track car, even without much power.

I noticed something interesting about articles in the U.S. vs. articles abroad about the new Golf R. Thankfully, Car & Driver is claiming that we will get the manual transmission option. They also claimed later today that there will be an "R" button on the dash to easily change driving modes- ala BMW M3, M2 Competition, etc. Then in their pictures they show an Akrapovic exhaust, but make no mention of it. In articles across the pond they mention the car coming with a Nurburgring setting and a sport package with includes the Akrapovic exhaust. I honestly don't know how you get an inline 4 cylinder to sound decent, but Akrapovic would be a good start. The foreign press also lightly hints at the possibility of more powerful or electrified assistance in the distant future. I'm sure it will debut about the same time as Mazda's next RX-7- ie. never.

Nice clean and understated sporty styling from this angle. Good job VW! This may be the best looking Golf R yet. And it would look even better with a proper set of BBS RC wheels.

I don't see any direct shots of the front end yet, but the detached blue "winglets" on the front end could make it look a bit sporty. Not sure about this yet.

Akropovic has its work cut out for it trying to make this engine sound good. It would be a neat option in the U.S. though if available.

These seats look great and include a new "R" logo for this generation.

The interior looks extremely well put together. However, I agree with Rochester on the stupid shifter. It might as well be reduced to a button. At this size it looks like an out of place growth on the center console. Then again, I would never own an A/T when a perfectly good manual transmission will be available.

Last edited by 4DRZ; 11-04-2020 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-04-2020, 09:42 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Akropovic has its work cut out for it trying to make this engine sound good. It would be a neat option in the U.S. though if available.
Love those tips. The Q50S Red Sport had drilled tips on the inner lip, and I liked that look too. But these are better. Very cool design.

Satin finish, thin flat edge, round but not huge, with a gentle slash cut, and a drilled, beveled inner lip. Awesome.
The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (11-05-2020)
Old 11-05-2020, 07:10 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

I noticed something interesting about articles in the U.S. vs. articles abroad about the new Golf R. Thankfully, Car & Driver is claiming that we will get the manual transmission option. They also claimed later today that there will be an "R" button on the dash to easily change driving modes- ala BMW M3, M2 Competition, etc. Then in their pictures they show an Akrapovic exhaust, but make no mention of it. In articles across the pond they mention the car coming with a Nurburgring setting and a sport package with includes the Akrapovic exhaust. I honestly don't know how you get an inline 4 cylinder to sound decent, but Akrapovic would be a good start. The foreign press also lightly hints at the possibility of more powerful or electrified assistance in the distant future. I'm sure it will debut about the same time as Mazda's next RX-7- ie. never.
Yeah, the R is going to tilt away from track toy and more into the daily driver/canyon carver type car.

Non US markets have always gotten more features. Direct + multi port FI for one (no carbon buildup), memory seats, more interior/exterior colors, premium leathers, optional exhausts. The R button is nice, but seems kind of gimmicky. How is it any different than pressing the mode button to toggle between the different driving modes? I'm in 'R' mode about 98% of the time, otherwise I choose individual, which is all the R settings except the shocks in comfort.

It's cool that both VW and Subaru are introducing upgrades of their flagship sports cars with manuals
Old 11-05-2020, 09:15 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
The R button is nice, but seems kind of gimmicky. How is it any different than pressing the mode button to toggle between the different driving modes? I'm in 'R' mode about 98% of the time, otherwise I choose individual, which is all the R settings except the shocks in comfort.

It's cool that both VW and Subaru are introducing upgrades of their flagship sports cars with manuals
Wait, weren't you just complaining about a lack of buttons in the new Golf R? I think the "buttons" on the steering wheel are not actual buttons. One of the articles mentioned providing haptic feedback and the R button supposedly goes right to race mode with an abrupt push. It is definitely easier and quicker to switch modes on the fly with a button on the steering wheel. I am not sure exactly how many settings you can change on this new Golf R, but the M1 and M2 buttons on the M3/M4 save you about 15 minutes worth of needless setup.

Have you heard confirmation that the new STI will have a manual? I swear I read lots of rumors about that, but nothing from Subaru yet.
Old 11-05-2020, 10:29 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Wait, weren't you just complaining about a lack of buttons in the new Golf R? I think the "buttons" on the steering wheel are not actual buttons. One of the articles mentioned providing haptic feedback and the R button supposedly goes right to race mode with an abrupt push. It is definitely easier and quicker to switch modes on the fly with a button on the steering wheel. I am not sure exactly how many settings you can change on this new Golf R, but the M1 and M2 buttons on the M3/M4 save you about 15 minutes worth of needless setup.

Have you heard confirmation that the new STI will have a manual? I swear I read lots of rumors about that, but nothing from Subaru yet.
I was complaining about the lack of hard buttons for HVAC, the radio, and the fact that the steering wheel buttons, aren't actually buttons. The point was, I fail to see the excitement about a steering wheel R button (that isn't really a button) to instantly switch to R mode vs a mode button (that is an actual button, albeit next to the shifter) that toggles between 4 modes. Do the people that buy these cars not drive in the sportiest mode all the time and abruptly decide they need to??? I only ever toggle to individual on the off chance my wife complains about the suspension being too harsh.

At least on the MK7, you can set one individual mode that controls suspension, steering, noise (both the pumped in synthetic sound that most people unplug, and the aggressiveness of the exhaust flaps that most people code to be always open), throttle response, and the speed that the headlights swivel when turning. I'd assume the MK8 will have some additional adjustability.

At least as of February, it was claimed by C&D that the STI would be manual only https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...onfirmed-2022/

I'm bullish on a manual STI, mostly because Subaru has completely transitioned to a CVT. They don't have the resources to cost effectively develop an auto/dual clutch for a niche car like the STI. And non USDM STIs have already been using a higher output version of the DI 2.0 from the WRX with the 6MT, so it's likely going to be far easier and cheaper to bolt up the existing transmission. It's a pretty robust as-is, and should be fine with some additional power.
Old 11-05-2020, 02:18 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 294 Likes on 194 Posts
Many cars don't allow you to 'default' to the 'race' setting or traction off. This was the case with the C7 so each time I got in I had to push some buttons and turn some dials. First thing I do when I get in the G is turn off the traction control.
Old 11-05-2020, 02:32 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RobC7
Many cars don't allow you to 'default' to the 'race' setting or traction off. This was the case with the C7 so each time I got in I had to push some buttons and turn some dials. First thing I do when I get in the G is turn off the traction control.
I have limited experience with selectable driving modes, but my R defaults to the last mode when you start the car up--my wife's Audi behaves the same way.

I rarely turn off traction control, can't stand the idiot light that glows on the dash when it's disabled.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?