G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2020, 09:28 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
Agreed - Oh, I think I'll wear the rest out first. I'm pretty easy on motors, even race motors. Even rotary race motors. If I kill this one it will be due to tuner error when I get that done or unexpected catastrophic part failure.

//Still want to pick up a spare engine to rebuild in the garage.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:01 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
Agreed - Oh, I think I'll wear the rest out first. I'm pretty easy on motors, even race motors. Even rotary race motors. If I kill this one it will be due to tuner error when I get that done or unexpected catastrophic part failure.

//Still want to pick up a spare engine to rebuild in the garage.
How much is a spare engine for these cars... asking for a friend.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:06 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
1800 or so on eBay... lkq should be 500-600 for a long block, but they have 40% off sales around major holidays. That’s what I’m waiting for.
The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (10-31-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 09:52 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I found out yesterday that VW is releasing the Golf R on Nov 4th. This morning another article came out that a left hand drive version was spotted testing with a manual transmission. Good news, but there is still some question as to whether or not we will get the manual here. I bet this car will be best in class in terms of refinement, but probably not performance. Here is to hoping that I am wrong.

https://carbuzz.com/news/vw-golf-r-s...manual-gearbox

Old 10-31-2020, 11:26 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

More cool car news. Cadillac just announced that the new Blackwing cars will have the option of magnesium wheels. Wow, they are getting serious about these cars! The other news is that they are planning to release the cars next summer. Kind of a bummer as I figured they would come out not long after the new M3 release, but now it is starting to make sense. I bet they are waiting to get their hands on a new M3 to make sure that the CT4-V Blackwing will walk all over it on track like the 2016 ATS-V did.

https://carbuzz.com/news/cadillac-v-...gnesium-wheels

Old 11-01-2020, 10:45 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I found out yesterday that VW is releasing the Golf R on Nov 4th. This morning another article came out that a left hand drive version was spotted testing with a manual transmission. Good news, but there is still some question as to whether or not we will get the manual here. I bet this car will be best in class in terms of refinement, but probably not performance. Here is to hoping that I am wrong.

https://carbuzz.com/news/vw-golf-r-s...manual-gearbox
I saw that news hit a couple other sites recently. It really shouldn't be that hard to mate a 6MT to the Golf R engine as it's really just the GTI motor with a different turbo (among other things). Basically the trans should essentially bolt right up. Hopefully they give it a higher capacity clutch. Lots of guys getting slip on stage 1 tunes.

Doubt you're wrong on refinementerformance ratio, that is kinda always where the R has slotted in among the competition. IDK if i can get over the lack of physical buttons for climate control and infotainment though.
Old 11-02-2020, 12:27 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I saw that news hit a couple other sites recently. It really shouldn't be that hard to mate a 6MT to the Golf R engine as it's really just the GTI motor with a different turbo (among other things). Basically the trans should essentially bolt right up. Hopefully they give it a higher capacity clutch. Lots of guys getting slip on stage 1 tunes.

Doubt you're wrong on refinementerformance ratio, that is kinda always where the R has slotted in among the competition. IDK if i can get over the lack of physical buttons for climate control and infotainment though.
Oh no, are they really going the way of Cadillac Cue for the climate and audio? Honestly, that would not bother me at all with auto climate control and steering wheel mounted audio controls. I test drove an ATS-V and the Cue system bothered me for exactly 0 seconds because I just don't use it.

VW is making a 6spd. version of the new Golf R, but apparently there is some debate as to whether or not it makes its way to the U.S. That does not make sense to me as BMW and Porsche site the U.S. as their largest market for manual transmission cars. I hope it is just a bad rumor.
Old 11-02-2020, 12:31 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
That's kind of amazing about the Caddy Magnesium wheels. Wow.

When I was a kid, we called all aftermarket wheels "mags". Looking back, seems kind of ignorant, but it was a thing.
Old 11-02-2020, 12:39 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
That's kind of amazing about the Caddy Magnesium wheels. Wow.

When I was a kid, we called all aftermarket wheels "mags". Looking back, seems kind of ignorant, but it was a thing.
That's a good point. Mag wheels started out being partially made out of actual magnesium, but when they switched to more aluminum a lot of people still referred to them as "mag wheels." Then it almost referred to the style more than anything. I always thought magnesium was really flammable, but no wheels are 100% magnesium and it is not very flammable in mass.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:23 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Oh no, are they really going the way of Cadillac Cue for the climate and audio? Honestly, that would not bother me at all with auto climate control and steering wheel mounted audio controls. I test drove an ATS-V and the Cue system bothered me for exactly 0 seconds because I just don't use it.

VW is making a 6spd. version of the new Golf R, but apparently there is some debate as to whether or not it makes its way to the U.S. That does not make sense to me as BMW and Porsche site the U.S. as their largest market for manual transmission cars. I hope it is just a bad rumor.
The US was the biggest market for the R, if they are making a 6MT, it's probably because of domestic pressure.

Yes, they are eliminating buttons. Honestly, I want ***** for things like temperature and fan speed and volume. I don't want to have to go into the infotainment system to turn on the rear defroster, or change airflow direction or turn on heated seats. Even the steering wheel buttons aren't buttons anymore, they're mini touch screens.

Old 11-02-2020, 01:51 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
The US was the biggest market for the R, if they are making a 6MT, it's probably because of domestic pressure.

Yes, they are eliminating buttons. Honestly, I want ***** for things like temperature and fan speed and volume. I don't want to have to go into the infotainment system to turn on the rear defroster, or change airflow direction or turn on heated seats. Even the steering wheel buttons aren't buttons anymore, they're mini touch screens.

That's a good point too about the heated seats. That would be annoying if they were not automatic. Although it looks like the heated seat buttons are on the bottom left of that screen and pretty easy to get to. I agree, I would still prefer buttons for that- I mean if I kept the stock seats in the car. I will have to check it out once we start seeing the new GTI here.
Old 11-02-2020, 03:33 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

We just got in our first 2021 Veloster N with the new seats. Huge improvement! Looks like they put in a new infotainment screen too. I am not expecting too many changes with how it drives, but I will get a review up when I get a chance.

Old 11-03-2020, 01:17 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I just did a short video of the Hyundai Elantra GT N line. It was better than expected, but the Veloster N is in an entirely different category. I will get a video of that one up later.

Old 11-03-2020, 01:35 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Nice, honest summation of features and opinions. If I were a hot-hatch kind of guy, that seems like a great entry point for only $22k.
The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (11-03-2020)
Old 11-03-2020, 03:32 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Nice, honest summation of features and opinions. If I were a hot-hatch kind of guy, that seems like a great entry point for only $22k.
Thanks. I will probably be in the video about the Veloster N so you guys all get to see my ugly face. That car is way more fun to drive.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?