G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 08:24 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by main_shoby
alfa romeo giulia quadrifoglio!!
I 2nd this choice.

Originally Posted by Jonesmeister11
Coupe guy here, but I’m considering staying around the same age of my current g or going older. Kinda tired of so much electronics.

E92 M3 (prefer manual, has to have receipts of rod bearings being replaced)
C63/E63 (must have head-bolt warranty work done)
CTS-V must be 6 speed
E55 amg (seems bulletproof, easy to work on)
I’m sure I’m missing a few cars but that’s all that’s coming to mind right now.
Runner up (Nissan r32/33) I’m ruling this out due to high probability of being rusty, long waits for body panels and other parts, extreme price differences in insurance (can be extremely high or extremely low), and it’s a 25+ year old car. All fluids and a lot of rubber pieces would need replacing.
I agree with the rod bearings on the E92 M3. If you are considering tracking the car (and who doesn't?) you will probably also want to budget for some fix caliper brakes.

Depending on the year of the E55 AMG- the air suspension is definitely not bulletproof and very expensive to fix. I forget the year I was looking at, but just the part was over $4,000/ea. corner!?! This car looks like it has a lot of power on paper and it is fast in a straight line, but it does not corner.

I have also been thinking about Skylines, specifically the R33 since it will be legal here in the U.S. in a few short months. I think the styling held up a lot better over the years than the R32 and it looks like it will be a lot less $$$$ than an R34 with very similar technology. Tempting, but you are right about a 25 year old car that was never imported here so parts and service will be tough as well as bushings, shocks, body panels starting to show wear. Canada has had them for about 10 years now so maybe parts won't be as bad as I think.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:28 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
My goal is to one day own an R33 or R22 skyline GT-R. R34 will likely always remain at absurd prices. Although, even R32 prices up there now. Expect to pay between $30-50k depending on condition and miles.

One cool thing is Nissan has actually started making Skyline parts again, so they'll be possible to get. Also, a lot of S chassis parts can be used on them like suspension and stuff.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:01 PM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I 2nd this choice.I agree with the rod bearings on the E92 M3. If you are considering tracking the car (and who doesn't?) you will probably also want to budget for some fix caliper brakes.

Depending on the year of the E55 AMG- the air suspension is definitely not bulletproof and very expensive to fix. I forget the year I was looking at, but just the part was over $4,000/ea. corner!?! This car looks like it has a lot of power on paper and it is fast in a straight line, but it does not corner.

I have also been thinking about Skylines, specifically the R33 since it will be legal here in the U.S. in a few short months. I think the styling held up a lot better over the years than the R32 and it looks like it will be a lot less $$$$ than an R34 with very similar technology. Tempting, but you are right about a 25 year old car that was never imported here so parts and service will be tough as well as bushings, shocks, body panels starting to show wear. Canada has had them for about 10 years now so maybe parts won't be as bad as I think.
I didn’t realize the e92’s had brake issues. Care to elaborate? It’d have to be a comp packaged car.

The E55 would have to be a 05-06. Is also look at cls55 (I think looks better)
As for the air suspension, what you do is buy rebuilt airmatic. I forgot the website’s link but they have a warranty and people are saying it’s better than Mercedes original parts (rebuilt). Or I see people swapping out with coils.

What the skyline forums are saying is a ton of parts can be picked up in the states from 240’s. The biggest issue that people were having is rust, and then God forbid you get into an accident, body parts come from Japan. Now you are out of a car for months. I’m sure you might can source closer parts, but the guaranteed part must cross the pacific.

Am I missing any cars to consider?
Old 10-16-2017, 11:59 AM
stiizy

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If it was AWD I would in a heart beat!
Old 10-16-2017, 05:36 PM
r2dmax

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
As much as I love this car on paper, it appears Alpha has not addressed the issue that has plagued them for so long - reliability. It couldn't even complete the challenge
Old 10-17-2017, 07:55 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Cool video, but that channel has been known to ride BMW jock strap hard. The Alfa's issues were software in nature..nothing mechanical. It's my understanding there's been some patches since that video was released but in regards to ^ that video...

They're not the only machine with issues. I'd take the Alfa over the BMW. Just more exclusive in nature.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:08 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
The Alpha sounded like a monster. The M3 sounded like a sewing machine.

Only seen the Guilia in person at an autoshow a year ago, and was not impressed with the design. There was a disconnect between the media and the in-person experience. However, it was the entry-level model, not the fully optioned sport sedan.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-17-2017 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:24 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Can confirm. I've only seen one in person. Sound made me want to investigate. Looks made me break my neck.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:38 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by iCrap
My goal is to one day own an R33 or R22 skyline GT-R. R34 will likely always remain at absurd prices. Although, even R32 prices up there now. Expect to pay between $30-50k depending on condition and miles.

One cool thing is Nissan has actually started making Skyline parts again, so they'll be possible to get. Also, a lot of S chassis parts can be used on them like suspension and stuff.
Good goal! Fingers crossed that the R33 is "reasonable." I just read an article talking about how a lot of people think the R33 is the red headed step child of the group because the R32 set all the records at the track and the R34 has all the hype. They drove and R33 and thought it was great and also hoped that it would stay relatively sanely priced due to the stigma. I hope they are right.

I also read that about Nissan making Skyline parts for some of the older cars, but I think for now that was just in Japan and maybe only up to the R32?

Originally Posted by Jonesmeister11
I didn’t realize the e92’s had brake issues. Care to elaborate? It’d have to be a comp packaged car.

The E55 would have to be a 05-06. Is also look at cls55 (I think looks better)
As for the air suspension, what you do is buy rebuilt airmatic. I forgot the website’s link but they have a warranty and people are saying it’s better than Mercedes original parts (rebuilt). Or I see people swapping out with coils.

What the skyline forums are saying is a ton of parts can be picked up in the states from 240’s. The biggest issue that people were having is rust, and then God forbid you get into an accident, body parts come from Japan. Now you are out of a car for months. I’m sure you might can source closer parts, but the guaranteed part must cross the pacific.

Am I missing any cars to consider?
The E92 does not have "brake issues" so to speak so you would be perfectly fine on the street. But sliding caliper brakes don't work great on the track and it is a pain to swap pads compared to the fixed caliper brakes on the newer M3's. The V8 sounds great, but has very little torque. You have to rev the snot out of it to get it to move. My G37S with just exhaust seemed just as fast.

Interesting about the Mercedes. I guess you could put coilovers on it too, but that just seems weird to me on a big fat Mercedes.

My short list is really narrowed down to a newer M3 or ATS-V- both 6spd. The ATS-V seems like the better track car and the M3 has better styling.

I am also considering the Audi RS3 (not excited about DSG or front end weight bias), or maybe M2, Lotus Evora, or Elise if 2dr. is practical for me in 4-ish years.

Originally Posted by stiizy
If it was AWD I would in a heart beat!
Or the 6spd. they promised- it's even in the brochure they sent!

Originally Posted by Rochester
The Alpha sounded like a monster. The M3 sounded like a sewing machine.

Only seen the Guilia in person at an autoshow a year ago, and was not impressed with the design. There was a disconnect between the media and the in-person experience. However, it was the entry-level model, not the fully optioned sport sedan.
I have seen both in person (we have a dealer across the street from my work) and I agree the styling of the basic models does not look nearly as aggressive or even correct with those wheels. The Quadrifoglio looks awesome in person. Almost enough to make me get A/T.... almost.

Originally Posted by RMB5190
Can confirm. I've only seen one in person. Sound made me want to investigate. Looks made me break my neck.
Agree 100%
Old 10-21-2017, 11:47 PM
Tuckermaclain
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Ats-v!

I replaced my Stillen-blown G37x with a Cadillac ATS-V. The G was a beautiful car, and my sis and bro-in-law are very thankful to have been gifted such a monster with the blower and a Tanabe Medallion exhaust set. It sounds evil! I don't regret the Caddie one bit. Every day I drive it I love it more.It feels roughly as quick as the Blown-G. It was made to use more power than the G was. The dash is stitched leather. It's beautiful. I am getting ready to take it to WeaponX in Cincinnati. I toured the facility Friday when I was in Cinci at work. The Caddie already comes with 2 turbos, the 8L90 xmission used in the Z-06 (rated for 900 ft-lbs). It has so many coolers even the rear differential is cooled! The engine internals are already forged or titanium. It's ready to upgrade. Handles way better than my G. Adjustable suspension. Track ready. Better than the M4 around a track, as well as the Mercedes 63. Whats it gonna get? Cat delete. CAI. Bigger intercooler and transmission cooler. Reworked tune and...(drumroll please) Methanol injection with a 3 gallon tank in the trunk on the side. In addition to cooling the cyliners and acting like racing fuel, the water and methanol will steam-clean the combustion chambers so there will never be excess carbon to cause detonation. Will go from a conservatively rated 464 hp to 700HP. Torque is right there with the turbos off idle. My G was a beautiful and wonderful car. The ATS-V is a World-Class sport sedan. Able to better the M4 on the track. Now, my 1/4 mile time will be a smidge better than a stock 650HP supercharged Corvette Z-06. They post a vid of it running 10.8 in the 1/4 mile on youtube. I won't thrash it or track it, but it IS gonna be one of the quickest cars around. Way quicker than my G with the Stillen supercharger. Check one out! Wouldn't you love to wipe the smirk off a BMW M4 owner's face? If you mod it, you can do it to ANY stock vette owner too!

As far as the CUE goes, yes, it was frustrating at first. I had to read the manual. Now, it is just fine. In fact, it is very good. It's like going from PC to Apple. You need to read a little. There are many shortcuts built in. If you are capable of affording a car like this, you no doubt have enough brain power to spend a bit of time learning CUE.

As a bonus, the ATS-V is so rare, you will be part of an exclusive club! Personally, I hope none of you buy one. I was told I had the first one in my state, and as far as I know, still the only one in my city. As a G lover and car enthusiast, I owe it to you to tell you about it, but I like having the only one.

My department chair has a 911 he bought when it was turned in for a lease. He waxes poetically about Porsches engineering. He couldn't tell water-injection from a radiator hose though. That seems to be like 90% of Porsche owners. Lawyers, doctors, and businessmen who always have a new one leased to impress people with their wealth and sophistication. For God's sake--Justin Bieber has several! I have driven all those other cars except the Alfa. I would 't touch an Alfa with a 10 foot pole. The reliability is horrible. C/D had random CELs pop up during their test of a new one. Mercedes are needlessly complicated. They don't do just an "oil change." They do a "schedule A' service. This is basically an oil change. Look at paying close to $500 for this. Repair costs are astronomical. Same with BMW. My friend has a nice (meaning $$$) Audi. He ran into a barrier post at <5mph as he was badging out of the hospital garage. No air bags deployed, and it looked like just the bumper fascia and headlight assy needed to be fixed/replaced. $23,000!!! Screw that! A 911 is cool, but kinda impractical, and way too common. The oversteer is deadly. Every non-car guy who makes money buys one. They are too popular. A few friends have F Type R Jags. They are pretty nice. They use the crude, inefficient roots blower in all of them though. Lots of heat loss. I'm just not turned on by the driving experience. BMW actually used a twin scroll blower--to their credit. Again, they are kinda popular. Mine has SOUL when you drive it. It feels more connected, and you know you've got an engine. I like that it's American as well. It reminds me of WW II, when piston engines were at their peak. The Mustang and the P-47 kicked Messerschmidt butt all the way to Berlin. The Hell Cats, Corsairs, and even the old Allison powered P-40s did the same to the Zero. I have an American car that will best any of their German or Japanese competitors on the track. It feels and rides wonderfully. The C/D guy didn't like the interior? Hates carbon fiber and likes walnut? Maybe his skinny jeans were too tight. That's his personal taste and it's purely subjective. If I were driving a model T or a Rolls, maybe I could appreciate it. Wood is a vestige of another time. If you look at the interior of the world's leading fighter jets (22 years Air Force doc experience speaking) you will see the the Caddie resembles them more than the any other of those cars. It's a well-dressed gentleman that is a hooligan underneath. But go ahead and buy your Alfas, BMWs, Mercedes. You can blend into the crowd. With the Alfa you can blend into the broken down cars on the shoulder of the road with your hazards on.

Last edited by Tuckermaclain; 10-22-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:01 AM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
No need to put down other cars to justify your purchase man. If you really like the ATS-V it shouldn't matter what's going on with other cars.

Personally I would love a 911 or M235i/240i. I do my own maintenance as well. It would be no issue.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:34 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Tuckermaclain
As far as the CUE goes, yes, it was frustrating at first. I had to read the manual. Now, it is just fine. In fact, it is very good. It's like going from PC to Apple. You need to read a little. There are many shortcuts built in. If you are capable of affording a car like this, you no doubt have enough brain power to spend a bit of time learning CUE.
The Cue does not worry me either. I doubt I will ever use many of the features, except for the performance data recorder. Do you have that on yours? If so, what do you think of it?

Aside from Cue, the only real complaint I have heard is that the exhaust does not sound that great. Thoughts? I immediately thought, "Well, that is just a catback upgrade away from being a perfect car. I can live with that."

As a bonus, the ATS-V is so rare, you will be part of an exclusive club! Personally, I hope none of you buy one. I was told I had the first one in my state, and as far as I know, still the only one in my city. As a G lover and car enthusiast, I owe it to you to tell you about it, but I like having the only one.
I'm way over in Wisconsin so no worries if I eventually get one. Glad to hear you are enjoying the car. It is at the top of my list. You are right about it being rare. It looks like it will be as tough to find as my '13 G37S stick white/black.

One of my co-workers has an ATS-V coupe and he was behind me on the winding off ramp on the way to work this morning (for a short time). Nice looking car.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:26 PM
Tuckermaclain
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I don't mean to put other cars down-you guys either since you are all car enthusiasts who know what they want. Alfa does have a reputation for less than stellar reliability though. How much is deserved, I dunno. C/Ds test was an indicator that this will at least have some teething issues. I like not seeing my car everywhere I turn. Nothing wrong with BMW/Porsche/Mercedes/Jag. Kinda pricey to maintain and they all have their own personality. Germans do have the highest profit margins per vehicle so the buyer is paying that premium margin. I used to drive a Saab 900T. One of my favorites ever. That's my quirk, I guess. I just work with so many people who drive super-hot cars for no other reason than it being a status symbol. Just as the biggest possible house, the upgraded second wife and expensive wines are. I don't like being perceived as one of them by a car guy. If I felt BMW was just the cat's meow I would buy one anyway. I just know what I like and got it, and was as happy as when I got my new G in 2010. I'm kinda proud that Detroit can slug it out toe-to-toe with the Germans. Didn't mean to insult any of you because this group is a group of car-nuts--not status seekers. Any bitterness was not directed at this group. It was more about the people I personally know that drive these cars. Sorry, guys.

No I don't have the performance recorder. I don't track it. Didn't want to spring for something I would never use.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:14 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

No I don't have the performance recorder. I don't track it. Didn't want to spring for something I would never use.
That's a shame you don't track the car. It was made for that.

What do you think of the exhaust note? Aside from the CUE system, that is the only real complaint I have heard on that car. I would imagine that is a pretty easy solution if the exhaust does not sound too inspiring.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:01 AM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Oh I’m also considering an Srt8 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Whatever is under $30k. I’m sure once I would get it, I would regret it. Build quality, etc. but having room, a big v8, and awd would be pretty sweet. Plus moving to Arizona, I think it could handle some off road excursions. I’m not expecting it to preform like a Range Rover, but something better than the g would be nice lol.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?