G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 10:07 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
Renders? no. They showed the real car on the stream - the guy said the design is NOT a concept and is close to production.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:09 PM
woofersus
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Well, I seem to have missed/not found that. I'll do some more looking
Old 09-15-2020, 10:22 PM
woofersus
Registered Member

Watching the video of the event on Youtube now. It does look like they cleaned up that rear fender a bit. It curves down a little more and the character line stays higher. Based on this, they're probably only tweaking details for production reasons at this point and dialing in suspension, transmission, etc. I doubt much about the sheet metal or interior changes.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:34 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Why does the production quality of these reveals always suck? Always.

Big 6-pot front calipers. Beautiful rear, nice profile, dumb looking grille.
That moderator was terrible. Where in the world did they dig that guy up? He could not be any less interested. At least the designers were super excited about the car and had Z cars themselves pretty early on. I just wish they gave more details about the performance.

I think those are GT-R brakes. I could see that they are 2pc. rotors on both ends with 4 pot calipers in the back. It would be great if they kept those for the production model and even better if they switched to slotted rotors.

You really like the rear end? It seemed like the one part that did not really flow with the design of the rest of the car with these long swooping lines and then the rear is abruptly cut off.

I thought the same thing about the grille until I heard them confirm the twin turbo. That made me think of a big intercooler. Looking at it straight on it looks like a 240Z from the front with the grille and especially the headlights. From the side I noticed for the first time that the front end really comes to a sharp point like a shark or a Corvette.

The styling is growing on me. Definitely a contender at this point for me. I just hope the performance stats/features are impressive.

Originally Posted by woofersus
BTW, has anybody driven both a current 370z and a Supra? My G was quite roomy but I've never actually sat in a current 370z. I'm a pretty big guy and with a long torso/short legs. I got into a Supra at the auto show last year - barely. I was in, but it wasn't good. My head was as far back as I could get it, and I couldn't really lean forward, and my feet still threatened to tangle in the pedals. And with the chopped roof line and long overhang, the visibility was downright scary. The overall feeling was super claustrophobic. I love the idea of the Supra but I could never own one. I just don't fit. I sure hope the next Z is just a little more flexible with headroom than that.
Yes, I owned a 370Z for a while. I'm 6'1" and had lots of room and good visibility. Tallest guy I ever sold one to was 6'7" or 6"8 and he fit well- mainly due to the fact that there was no compromise for room up front with the lack of a back seat.
The following users liked this post:
woofersus (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 12:07 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Old 09-16-2020, 06:25 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
I've driven a few Zs over the years... 350z, 370z, Nismo, etc. There's enough room, but you sit in the car, not so much on the car. It's like you're wearing it, which I guess is the point.

The profile looks longer. Not to be a broken record, but I see Jag Coupe in the profile. However, that roof line is all Z.

Glad they finally toned down the door handles.
woofersus (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 11:32 AM
woofersus
Registered Member

I've driven a few Zs over the years... 350z, 370z, Nismo, etc. There's enough room, but you sit in the car, not so much on the car. It's like you're wearing it, which I guess is the point.

The profile looks longer. Not to be a broken record, but I see Jag Coupe in the profile. However, that roof line is all Z.

Glad they finally toned down the door handles.
Good to know. I'm happy to sit more "in" the car or very low. I did some poking around and cmparing specs, and while the actual height drops quite a bit from the g sedan to the g coupe to the z, the actual interior headroom only drops by an inch and a half or so. And I did drive a G coupe and thought that because of the lower seating position I actually felt like I had more headroom. If the new z has a similarly low floor, I imaging the headroom won't be changed that much. I was kind of surprised how cramped the Supra was. It looked really low (although barely lower than the reported spec for the new Z) but also it had kind of a "skinny" vertical profile. Width wasn't an issue, and my legs aren't even that long for being 6'1", but man, I could barely straighten my neck out. It was claustrophobic enough that I was uncomfortable mentally more than physically.

And hold the phone - I was looking for the specs and found the comparison table on this page: https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-ne...-ar185393.html. I currently drive an mk7 Golf R and there's no way headroom is within a tenth of an inch. And more than a Mustang? Something doesn't add up. I think either that number is wrong or the seat in the car I tried had limited range for some reason. Anyhow, back to the z....

Now that you mention it, there's a strong E-Type resemblance in the profile. That was the case with the 240 as well, I suppose.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:58 AM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 294 Likes on 194 Posts
I think it looks fine and it will look better when it comes to production. I'm surprised it doesn't have a flat bottom steering wheel as all of the other non performance Nissan's have one.

I wonder if Nissan.....
- fixed the rear subframe bushing
- upgraded the clutch hydraulics
- fixed the common issues on the VR30 platform

Is it cooler than a Supra? Yes, it's manual.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:01 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 294 Likes on 194 Posts
The following 3 users liked this post by RobC7:
iCrap (09-16-2020), Lego_Maniac (09-16-2020), obsidiansamurai (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 12:14 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by RobC7
Yes, it's manual.
Exactly. Based solely on keyboard jockey skills ( ) I'd choose the 400Z 6MT any day of the week over the new Supra.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
deep0542 (09-16-2020), obsidiansamurai (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 01:16 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

The back end is starting to grow on me a bit. I like the carbon diffuser. Hopefully, they are hinting on some carbon in the chassis to lighten things up a bit...

I finally found close enough pictures to see what all the gauges are. It looks like the 3 on top on the center console are boost, turbo rpms (why?), and volt (useless). I guess the aftermarket will have plenty of options to replace those with something more useful.

At least the digital dash seems to have 4 gauges on the right that are useful and maybe able to change- oil press, oil temp, water temp, and rear diff temp. I would love to have had those on my Z or G. I have a bad feeling the boost gauge on the left is only changeable to a turbo rpm gauge. Why would I need that? I see a digital speedo toward the top so that makes me think they are probably skipping the heads up display. That might work for track days. And is that a shift light at the top? That might come in handy. I wonder if the redline will change as the engine warms up like on M cars. Either way, that is a decently high redline for a twin turbo.
Lego_Maniac (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 02:31 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
I do not like the new Z. I only like the shape of the hood because it looks like the S30’s. Everything else I do not like, including the unnecessary technology that surely will go wrong some day. What is wrong with a real speedometer? I wasn’t really expecting anything spectacular from Nissan with the new Z either way, since the new car market lost me years ago, but the retro desire is done badly just like the Alpina A110 where the retro model looks better than the revival model. The back just looks atrocious in my humble opinion, and the fake aluminium exterior trim is a design cue very similar to Citroens. My Japanese buddies are really disappointed with the reveal as well since they own older 350Zs and 280Zs. It will probably end up with an electric power steering system from the Q50/Q60. I personally prefer the 300ZX, 370Z, and S30 gen.
Old 09-16-2020, 02:44 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I just noticed the proto isn't using the new logo for the hood emblem. That's the old Nissan burger.
Old 09-16-2020, 03:00 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I just noticed the proto isn't using the new logo for the hood emblem. That's the old Nissan burger.
The new emblem is just for corporate print at the moment like BMW is doing, but I believe the electric Ariya suv will be the first to have the new simplified Nissan badge.
Rochester (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 03:02 PM
Rochester
Administrator

The more I look at the profile, the more I like it.

Reading joyryde's comments makes me like it even more.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?