G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2020, 09:49 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Good narration. Some repetiveness, and lots of wind in the mic, but overall very professional.
Sorry about the wind. I had a very small window of opportunity to do the video on a very windy day. My choices were inside with a mask on where it was much harder to hear me or try to find a building I could park close to in order to kill most of the wind. I must have done 10 takes just to find one with less wind noise. Believe it or not, that was by far the best take. What did I repeat while I walked around the entire car pointing out different features?

Originally Posted by RobC7
Pretty pathetic for Ford to make the Recaro seats an option on their track car.
I hope the irony is not lost on you with the screen name "C7" when the C7 Vette came with no fewer than 3 different seat options. I get why both companies did it. They want to advertise a lower base price and they also want to have an option for the larger Americans who want to enjoy these cars on the street and will never actually take them to a track. It makes sense, but I agree with you that a hardcore car should have hardcore seats. I also wish they would focus on making these cars lighter.

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
What did you think about the base seats? Adequate bolstering and support?
They seemed fine. I threw the car around some roundabouts and corners and I noticed the back end kicking out long before the side bolsters gave up any grip. On a track I would probably opt for the more aggressive seats, but for everyday use, these would be nicer for getting in and out.
Old 09-04-2020, 10:12 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
What did I repeat while I walked around the entire car pointing out different features?
You know, I had to go back and watch it again to see why I got that impression. And I got half way through wondering why I said that, before I realized what it was. You used the word "pretty" seven times in maybe a minute. So it wasn't the content that was repetitive, it was your adjectives. Regardless, it was still 10x better than I could ever do, and I'd love to see more.

Old 09-04-2020, 10:33 AM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
I hope the irony is not lost on you with the screen name "C7" when the C7 Vette came with no fewer than 3 different seat options. I get why both companies did it. They want to advertise a lower base price and they also want to have an option for the larger Americans who want to enjoy these cars on the street and will never actually take them to a track. It makes sense, but I agree with you that a hardcore car should have hardcore seats. I also wish they would focus on making these cars lighter.
Being that the average C7 buyer ordered their car with chrome wheels so they can try and win all the car show awards, I think it is expected for their to be 2 seat options. However, if I am buying a track focused version of the car (think GS, z06) I would expect the seats to come standard ($1,500 extra on a 80k new car will not break you). Lower price point really doesn't mean much on this special edition car as Ford sold them without a problem often with ADM. Let's not forget the newer GT350s now have the seats as standard.

I like the 1LE package on the Camaro because it comes with all of the things you need to have a good time at the track. If you don't think the power is adequate enough then you have to start looking into voiding the warranty......

On topic of the video, impressive for the fact you didn't do any cropping or editing.
Old 09-04-2020, 10:35 AM
RobC7
Registered Member

Here is a sketch of the new Z. The rear fenders look really wide and the rear window looks extremely low. I am curious to see how they pull off the styling with the 1990's inspired tail lights.

Would be cool, really interested in seeing this thing.
Old 09-06-2020, 05:52 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by RMB5190
I'm kinda with you. The refined handling of the GT350 makes it a great overall performer but the GT500 from 13-14 has a ton of power potential and that 'old school' muscle persona. The 5.8 is a brute and I like the blend of the modern and original looks. They're still really pricey; the same year ZL1 is really tempting. They've dropped into the $30k mark and is a massive amount of car for the money. I'm considering that one as a contender for my early mid-life crisis.
And Carroll was still alive to approve of the S197 GT500. The only thing that really gives the new generation an “advantage” with the handling is that it has the independent rear suspension instead of the solid axle. If a person knows how to drive a car, the older S197 really isn’t a chore to handle. Yet, people still manage to live up to the Mustang meme even with an independent rear suspension in the S550 crashing while trying to act like that Vin Diesel guy from those crappy fast and furious movies. The new one just feels like it’s trying to be European. There still are some American attributes, like the horrible interior quality, but that’s it. Inline 4 models? That’s not American. America’s Ford is 30 years too late sadly. With Camaros, I prefer the previous gen Camaro over the current one, since the new one’s electric power steering sucks. But the problem with both the 5th and 6th gen is the visibility: Feels like you’re sitting in a coffin. Still a crap ton of power for the price, but at an interior cost. Makes our G’s interior feel like that of a Rolls Royce.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:33 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
I test drove the Mustang (S-197) 5.0, Camaro 45th anni. edition and G37 back to back to back. I came away preferring the Mustang over the Camaro. It felt lighter, more nimble, had a much tighter turn radius and more than enough power to get the job done. The Camaro's interior was only slightly better, probably because of the trim, but the visibility was as issue. Probably something you get used to after sitting in one for a bit but jumping right in made me a little uneasy. I ultimately went with the G37 (obviously) because, as you said, it had a great interior compared to the Mustang and Camaro and fit more of my needs as an all around vehicle. I think the most surprising aspect when driving them all was how the G37 was no slouch in the power department. I thought after driving the Mustang and Camaro that the G37 would lag behind in that category but I didn't come away feeling like I was sacrificing anything.

Economically it makes sense to share the platform with the V8 trim but you can't help but feel as though it waters down the name.
Old 09-08-2020, 02:00 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

You know, I had to go back and watch it again to see why I got that impression. And I got half way through wondering why I said that, before I realized what it was. You used the word "pretty" seven times in maybe a minute. So it wasn't the content that was repetitive, it was your adjectives. Regardless, it was still 10x better than I could ever do, and I'd love to see more.
Good catch. I got half way through and thought you were crazy, but I noticed it as soon as I got to the trunk. I remember thinking at that point that it was a "pretty" car from the back 3/4 view for a Mustang. I guess my subconscious come out in my adjectives suddenly being limited to one. I didn't even notice it when I watched it originally.

Being that the average C7 buyer ordered their car with chrome wheels so they can try and win all the car show awards, I think it is expected for their to be 2 seat options. However, if I am buying a track focused version of the car (think GS, z06) I would expect the seats to come standard ($1,500 extra on a 80k new car will not break you). Lower price point really doesn't mean much on this special edition car as Ford sold them without a problem often with ADM. Let's not forget the newer GT350s now have the seats as standard.

I like the 1LE package on the Camaro because it comes with all of the things you need to have a good time at the track. If you don't think the power is adequate enough then you have to start looking into voiding the warranty......

On topic of the video, impressive for the fact you didn't do any cropping or editing.
Thanks. I also like the 1LE package on the SS Camaro. It might still be the best performance bang for the buck on the market if the interior were not so cheap and cramped. The Grand Sport and Z06 Corvettes have optional Competition seats.

Would be cool, really interested in seeing this thing.
It won't be long now. It sounds like it is just a prototype now. Today, Car & Driver claimed that the car would be released next year. The other day I read that it would be released in 2022 as a 2023 model, so who knows at this point?

Originally Posted by Joyryde
ABut the problem with both the 5th and 6th gen is the visibility: Feels like you’re sitting in a coffin. Still a crap ton of power for the price, but at an interior cost. Makes our G’s interior feel like that of a Rolls Royce.
No doubt! Those Camaros look huge from the outside, but feel so tiny and cheap inside.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:47 AM
RobC7
Registered Member

View this post on Instagram

Another teaser, looks like a Miata shifter and the 370z center console.

The 370z had heat problems at the track, I wonder what they will do to help dissipate the heat from the forced induction.
The following 2 users liked this post by RobC7:
deep0542 (09-10-2020), Lego_Maniac (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 11:23 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
I saw Car and Driver confirmed the other day that the new Z would have a manual. Toyota, any comment?
The following users liked this post:
deep0542 (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 01:38 PM
deep0542
Registered Member

Received 160 Likes on 108 Posts
So excited for the new Z. Just hope the looks match up with the performance/experience offering of the VR30 with a stick.

Side note this should also make it considerably easier for those wanting to manual swap their Q60/50
Old 09-10-2020, 02:34 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
I saw that on C&D this morning, very happy with the news.

I hope they stick with the one 400 hp drivetrain only, and don't offer that as an option over the base 300 hp setup..
Old 09-10-2020, 02:38 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

I saw that on C&D this morning, very happy with the news.

I hope they stick with the one 400 hp drivetrain only, and don't offer that as an option over the base 300 hp setup..
Ideally they need the 400hp drivetrain as a base and then sell a tuned version with more power under the Nismo badge.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 07:28 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

https://www.instagram.com/p/CE9A-MAA...lj2lE3CtsX4SHY

Another teaser, looks like a Miata shifter and the 370z center console.

The 370z had heat problems at the track, I wonder what they will do to help dissipate the heat from the forced induction.
The shifter surround (especially in front of the shifter) and the V-shaped padding at the bottom of the center console look very similar to the current 370Z, but what looks like the bottom of the dash just above it looks different. I really wonder how much they change if they are using the same platform. I really hope they use a new clutch assembly and I have to think they would upgrade the transmission as well.

The engine our cars share with the 370Z does run hot, but Nissan put standard oil coolers on the 370Z starting in 2012. We weren't so fortunate, but my Z1/Stillen oil cooler has worked awesome.

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I saw Car and Driver confirmed the other day that the new Z would have a manual. Toyota, any comment?
Lots of rumors about a Supra manual from the factory and some pretty strong rumors a few weeks ago. They could easily bring one to market from another BMW like the aftermarket is already doing long before Nissan gets the new Z to production. Only time will tell.

Ideally they need the 400hp drivetrain as a base and then sell a tuned version with more power under the Nismo badge.
Those are the same rumors I keep hearing. Lots of rumors about power outputs, but I keep hearing 400 hp in the Z and 500 hp in a Nismo version. That engine has TONS of tuning potential. Z1 already got something crazy like 630+ ft/lb. out of the 300hp version in the Infiniti with not much more than a tune.
Old 09-10-2020, 07:52 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 239 Likes on 165 Posts
Man this new Z car could be exciting.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:02 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom
Man this new Z car could be exciting.
I really hope so. Fingers crossed...

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?