G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 08:35 AM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
^ agreed. I want to go test drive one myself and see.

Also, the new S3 has been announced.
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/08/11/...hPVMiCl0PAqEvY
Old 08-12-2020, 08:55 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
^ agreed. I want to go test drive one myself and see.

Also, the new S3 has been announced.
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/08/11/...hPVMiCl0PAqEvY
I saw that yesterday, too. Seems... small. Not that there's anything wrong with that. And not all small cars actually feel small inside (aka Mini Cooper). Just like not ever large car actually feels large inside (aka Challenger).

Point is, if I were to make a long list (and I probably will in the next couple years, LOL), I'd put the S3 on it and check it out.

Those huge HVAC pods on the drivers side might be very effective, but they sure look dumb. Also, a small toss-able car like that really should have a proper manual transmission.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:11 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Interesting. My first impression, is the same--a disjointed sea of cheap plastic. At least the screen has ***** for presumably at least volume. I don't like the vertical orientation. Seats don't look very heavily bolstered, but it's an auto, and probably a CVT, so there is likely an upgraded seat available. Electronic parking brake. Hopefully, the interior is offset by a killer suspension setup and a ton of horsepower. But I doubt it. It's Subaru, CAFE, Covid, low volume......they aren't going to invest a ton of R&D into this car since the fanboys will buy it no matter what. Maybe I'm wrong
Unfortunately, you are probably right.

Originally Posted by Rochester
I saw that yesterday, too. Seems... small. Not that there's anything wrong with that. And not all small cars actually feel small inside (aka Mini Cooper). Just like not ever large car actually feels large inside (aka Challenger).

Point is, if I were to make a long list (and I probably will in the next couple years, LOL), I'd put the S3 on it and check it out.

Those huge HVAC pods on the drivers side might be very effective, but they sure look dumb. Also, a small toss-able car like that really should have a proper manual transmission.
They announced some info. about the RS3 yesterday too, but at this point it is pretty much speculation for the U.S. I hope they improve the weight distribution to get rid of the understeer. I also wish it was a manual, but those are pretty foreign to Audi nowadays.

The current G70 is a surprisingly good handling car with AWD and is really tossable and fun to drive. I am waiting to try out the new version once it hits dealer lots to see what improvements they made.

Last edited by 4DRZ; 08-12-2020 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:37 PM
ngolbuff
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts
it's becoming increasingly more likely next car will be about ease and comfort...
I dont recall if you have already checked out or considered the Infiniti Q70, but I feel if something happened to my G tomorrow, I would be going with either the M56x or a Q70 5.6x. Both of those would still give me the car I know, but also more power and comfort with a less stiff/sporty ride than the G. Just my 0.02
Old 08-12-2020, 07:52 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
I can't get beyond the Q70 styling. Don't like it. But I'm certainly interested in 4DRZ's test drive review of the G70. Been a while since he did one of those.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:57 PM
ngolbuff
Registered Member

Good to know. I wasn't trying to sway you from the G70 as I too really like the car and am also waiting patiently for local forum test driver to give us all a review. Just waiting....twiddling my thumbs.....
Old 08-13-2020, 11:18 AM
Joyryde
Banned

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by ngolbuff
I dont recall if you have already checked out or considered the Infiniti Q70, but I feel if something happened to my G tomorrow, I would be going with either the M56x or a Q70 5.6x. Both of those would still give me the car I know, but also more power and comfort with a less stiff/sporty ride than the G. Just my 0.02
The ride comfort of the M/Q70 is almost similar to the G37, and same with the suspension. I’d also say that the M is better at absorbing bumps on the road. Another difference is that, surprisingly, the M-Q70 has a lot less body roll compared to the G. Handles sublime on canyon roads that surprises some of the other enthusiasts on the road since the car is not that common on the road. If you want extra comfort, look into the Q70L. You get an extra 6 inches of leg room in the back and the design looks more sleek and smooth. I like the styling of my short wheel base, since it is as curvy as Jennifer Lopez holding a coca cola bottle If you’d want to make extra power, I’d recommend starting on removing all 4 catalytic converters. Bumps up power and still sounds stock with the stock exhaust.

The following users liked this post:
ngolbuff (08-13-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 12:47 PM
nfsG37
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd consider the new Cadillac CT5-V or either the Q50 Sport, or Q50 Edition 30 to replace my '13 G37X sedan. The Cadillac CT5-V is a bit larger than the G (smaller trunk though) and should offer somewhat better performance (360 HP and 405 torque).
I really like the specs/looks of the 2018+ Q50's, but as everyone knows, they are getting a bit dated compared to other vehicles in the same segment.

I haven't sat in or been close to the CT5-V, but I wonder how the long term reliability would compare to the Infiniti, and question the build quality/use of some cheaper GM plastics in certain areas.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:30 PM
HEUGE
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford Marketing got to me, and I put down a deposit on the new Bronco. Nothing of course is final until the December build orders, but going to an SUV would be a huge change. I also really don't want to give up the G37S sedan since it's pretty rare to have a 6MT under 27,000 miles now.

The Bronco over-lander videos become a reachable aspiration during the pandemic

Last edited by HEUGE; 08-13-2020 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:08 PM
Selym
Registered Member

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by EcstaticG37XS
ZF 8 speed transmission shifts so much quicker and than the 7at
I'm not a huge fan of automatic transmissions, but I will say that the ZF 8HP is excellent.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:12 PM
ngolbuff
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Joyryde
The ride comfort of the M/Q70 is almost similar to the G37, and same with the suspension. I’d also say that the M is better at absorbing bumps on the road. Another difference is that, surprisingly, the M-Q70 has a lot less body roll compared to the G. Handles sublime on canyon roads that surprises some of the other enthusiasts on the road since the car is not that common on the road. If you want extra comfort, look into the Q70L. You get an extra 6 inches of leg room in the back and the design looks more sleek and smooth. I like the styling of my short wheel base, since it is as curvy as Jennifer Lopez holding a coca cola bottle

If you’d want to make extra power, I’d recommend starting on removing all 4 catalytic converters. Bumps up power and still sounds stock with the stock exhaust.
For all of your reasons listed above (especially J-Lo), that is why I have Q70 in the back of my mind. I would only be torn on to do the regular length or the Q70L. Besides that, it would be Q70/Q70L vs. Audi A7. I guess we will see if that bridge ever comes
Old 08-13-2020, 11:18 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
For all of your reasons listed above (especially J-Lo), that is why I have Q70 in the back of my mind. I would only be torn on to do the regular length or the Q70L. Besides that, it would be Q70/Q70L vs. Audi A7. I guess we will see if that bridge ever comes
Glad to know that you are considering it. I have no regrets and it is on the top of my all time cars I have owned, along side the BMW E39. I've read a lot of people's comments on these forums saying/thinking the M is more of a highway cruiser, especially with the V8. It's just not true. An S class Mercedes or a Lexus LS is a highway cruiser. The M just takes the corners and roundabouts so well for its size, even better than my G37, but it is partly due to AWD grabbing the road like an angry panther. It could be compared slightly to the BMW E38, where people thought it would not handle well because of the size but it proved otherwise. You should check out The Fast Lane with Joe Tunney's review on the M56X on Youtube, he explains it well. I have no modifications done to the engine, but I intend to supercharge it down the line. If you're into changing wheels and improving the stance of the car, some owners on NICOclub make them look like this:

The following users liked this post:
ngolbuff (08-13-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 11:54 PM
ngolbuff
Registered Member

Thats a clean looking car. My initial thought was to black out the chrome window trim, but then it would look silly with only chrome handles so i think that little bit of chrome I can handle. Of course if I got one, I couldn't keep it fully stock either. A nice set of wheels along with a possible catback exhaust, but nothing too major.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:32 AM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by HEUGE
Ford Marketing got to me, and I put down a deposit on the new Bronco. Nothing of course is final until the December build orders, but going to an SUV would be a huge change. I also really don't want to give up the G37S sedan since it's pretty rare to have a 6MT under 27,000 miles now.

The Bronco over-lander videos become a reachable aspiration during the pandemic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3n8_ed8QTE
7:10 mark is pretty impressive in my book for any stock vehicle that is sub $50k
Old 08-18-2020, 10:46 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
I can't get beyond the Q70 styling. Don't like it. But I'm certainly interested in 4DRZ's test drive review of the G70. Been a while since he did one of those.
Good to know. I wasn't trying to sway you from the G70 as I too really like the car and am also waiting patiently for local forum test driver to give us all a review. Just waiting....twiddling my thumbs.....
Wait, you guys actually read those reviews? Just kidding. Well sorry to keep you all in suspense on the new G70, but the car has not hit the lot yet. There are a lot of new cars debuting in the next year or two that I am looking forward to testing out. Then I should finally know what the right next car is for me.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?